Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've been riding mine for about 3 weeks.. Love them so far, built up super easy and go tubeless really well.. I used gorilla tape and a little Stans, but both front and rear held air for a day without the sealant...

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post
    Any user update on the LB fat rims?

Anyone order them recently?

Thanks.
    They are sending me a replacement set with the new deeper channel, should be here in a few weeks. I put about 26 mils on em last night and they are sweet, holding tubeless great.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    They are replacing my original ones also. As a matter of fact, mine have shipped. On a different note, I just pinch flatted on a tubeless set up. I hit a rock and it cut through right the sidewall, right next to the bead and also in the tread area. I let my sealant mostly dry up, so it did not seal. That's the bad news. The good news.....not a mark on the carbon!! The rim is perfect. However to try and break the bead was a nightmare, luckily I didn't have to take a tire bead off the rim. I had to do that because I lost my injector. Grrrr. There is so little room from the tire bead to smallest diameter of the rim, that I squeeze a rubber tube partially flat just to get some sealant in them. Luckily I over filled it and it did seal, but I don't know if it will hold when riding. My new rims will be here next week and I am rebuilding the wheels anyway, but I am NOT looking forward to trying to remove the tire!!!

addicted to chunk
    Didn't see it anywhere, is LB coming out with a 65mm rim?
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-fat-rims-65mm-cross-section-diagram.jpgName:  fat rims 65mm..jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  68.6 KBName:  fat rims 65mm.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  78.4 KB
    carbon rims & wheels, at www.carbonbicycle.cc

Laramie, Wyoming
    What holds the tire in place?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The hooks on two sides hold the tire.
    The hooks are not so important for holding the tire, and more and more riders take the hookless rims now.
    carbon rims & wheels, at www.carbonbicycle.cc

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bktide View Post
    The hooks on two sides hold the tire.
    The hooks are not so important for holding the tire, and more and more riders take the hookless rims now.
    I guess I wasn't clear but I guess these aren't going to be used in really low pressure scenarios.

Human Test Subject
    I ordered some last month and "Kartrin" said there was a production time of 15-20 business days. If they use a 5 day work week, I'm at day 19 of waiting.

So....hopefully soon they'll ship.

mtbr member

Re: Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear but I guess these aren't going to be used in really low pressure scenarios.
    Hookless are superior exactly for this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    OK, I got my new redesigned replacement rims. One was 10-25 grams lighter than my originals. Quality was the same, which is good. I built one up and it trued and tensioned very easily. I used the 4 inch wide 8898 tape for tubeless tape and taped it last night. I mount a new Specialized GC tire, which went on noticeably easier, but still required a little work, which is what I wanted to prevent burping. Put in the stock tube over night to compress and seal the tape. I pulled off one bead, again still a little work, but very manageable. I pulled that whole side tire bead back off the rim, while the other stayed in it's rim seat channel location. I poured 8 ounces of Orange Seal in the tire and put the bead back on the rim. I inflated using an air compressor to about 15-20 psi and the bead popped on nicely. It felt like it would pump up on a floor pump but not sure. Once the bead popped on, it appears to be holding air.

So the redesigned replacement rim is 100% better, and I think a flat repair in the woods is very doable. I felt they kept the BSD tubeless channel built in properly, but made it a manageable task to mount and dismount the tire by making the center area of the rim a little roomier.

Now, I still have to try to take off my old tire from the old rim. Not looking forward to that. Those tires are so expensive, that if necessary, I will cut the rim to save the tire. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    OK, I got my new redesigned replacement rims.
    Thank you for that. I'm really interested in some of these, but I'm hesitant to spend the $$$ on a set yet... You're helping me feel a lot better about them.

Would you be able to share some pictures of them? Also, what kind of terrain do you ride? I'm looking for some fatbike rims that'll be good for year-round use on generally smooth (and occasionally lumpy) Michigan trails. Everything from moderately loose snow to hardpack with occasional fist-sized rocks.

(I've got some LB 35mm 29er rims that I've been very happy with thus far... If these are comparable, it'd be great!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ride this bike in NE with rocks, roots, logs, mud, sand, hardpack, and of course the winter riding, basically anywhere and everywhere for all purpose trail riding. I ride these, and the Fat Boy, for that matter, almost everywhere I ride my 6" Enduro bike. Just a little more selective about drops and jumps. Quality wise, they are very comparable to everything else LB has. I can't remember where I posted it, and I don't have the time to look, but I previously posted that I pinch flatted a Specialized GC fat tire carcass on a rock, two snake bite holes, and there was not a mark on the rim and it was still true. Thats good enough for me.

I will try and post pics, this build was my single speed wheel, but I am also building a geared wheel in the near future. I am still going to order another rim, and I will not hesitate based on these rims I received.

mtbr member
    That's great to hear. I've got a set of Hope Fatsno hubs sitting in the basement just waiting for some rims, and I'd love to get them finished before winter. May I ask what the price ended up being, and do you have the LB model number for the new style rims? I wouldn't mind getting some ordered sooner than later so I can be confidant of them well before the snow hits.

Nuts
    Never mind nobody cared fug it
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-22-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    May I ask what the price ended up being, and do you have the LB model number for the new style rims? I wouldn't mind getting some ordered sooner than later so I can be confidant of them well before the snow hits.
    Be prepared for MINIMUM 20 day lead time. That is their standard stated time frame and for me it has always been longer. I'm not complaining because the quality and customer service has been great, but they are not quick to ship. Each piece is made to order. I do not know if they even have a model number, but the 90mm Fat rim is all you need. Then just choose weave, finish, hole pattern and if you want paint or decals. Just email or chat with them from their website, and they will create a custom invoice for your requested specifications and then they email that to you. You can pay from there.

mtbr member
    That sounds like just what happened with my 29er rims. Those had the price more available because I purchased them via their eBay store.

Would you mind sharing your price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just looked at my invoice. $640 including the shipping and paypal fee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I just looked at my invoice. $640 including the shipping and paypal fee.
    Cool, thanks. Bit more than I wanted to spend, but still seems reasonable... I was hoping for something much closer to the $170/rim for the 35mm 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bktide View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat rims 65mm cross section diagram.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	908548Name:  fat rims 65mm..jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  68.6 KBName:  fat rims 65mm.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  78.4 KB
    Is Light Bike and Carbon Bike the same company?

I'm into the 65mm Rims any pricing?
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member

Re: Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

I too am looking for 65-75mm carbon.

Nuts
    My new set should be here in a few days.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-26-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    My new set should be here in a few days.
    Can you please some pics when you get them
    I'd be interested to see if there the same rim as my lamere rim
    Are you getting 65 or 90 mm
    Cheers
    Ip

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpo View Post
    Can you please some pics when you get them
    I'd be interested to see if there the same rim as my lamere rim
    Are you getting 65 or 90 mm
    Cheers
    Ip
    90mm.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    90mm.
    Ok thanks
    I'd still love to see some pics , as by the look of them there the same as the lamere rim
    (A lot cheaper though than lamere )
    Mine are 65mm but I'm sure I could tell if there coming out of the same factory
    Cheers
    IP

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast