Squ-eti

Let's talk chainrings...

OK, for those running doubles, heck even for those running single chainrings...how much life are you getting out of your chainrings?

I wore out a 22t alloy ring on the fat bike in just under 500 miles of riding. The teeth are about half their original width (a sharp/pointy tip instead of a dull one), and the chain slips roughly 30 degrees before catching. Checked on the big ring. No slipping.

Yeah, the fat bike goes out in the worst conditions, and I'm not exactly a lightweight at 200 lbs (and I probably spend waaayy too much time in the little ring), but 500 miles! Curious to see what kind of life others are getting.

I ordered a steel ring as a replacement. Not interested in saving a few grams. More interested in not replacing a chainring every 500 miles.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    I have about 800 miles on my Korean doval chainring and chain. The ring is starting to get worn but the chain is still within spec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've ridden my turbine 32t ring for 2 winter seasons and the summer in between, although my summer riding was limited to commuting every once and a while.

I find that riding in the winter on snow does not wear out drivetrain components very fast, but a 32t ring also spreads that wear out more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've ridden a 26t Surly MWOD Chainring as a single speed front ring before. It lasted all of two miles of single track. Too much torque put on that small a cogs.

I'm not saying you're in same boat as my experience, but I am saying that they're similar in that small chainrings have to take more load (over more revolutions, in your case), and will wear quicker.

FWIW, I've bought a cheap shimano steel ring to use a SS rear cog after having some other stainless cogs wear too quickly. Shimano ring is still going strong after a lot of abuse. Might be worth looking into, if they make one for your BCD.

bigger than you.
    I'm getting about 4200 miles out of a 32t wolftooth narrow/wide ring, about 2 seasons of riding. I went through 4 cassettes and 7 chains in that period.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm at a little over 1000 miles on my Garbaruk Melon 34t. No real signs of wear.

Small (143lbs) "pro" racer who spends the summers in CO and the rest of the year in rocky, rooty VA. 120/100mm FS, if that matters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Running a superstar 30T NW on the front, has lasted around 1000 miles so far and I may need to replace it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I'm getting about 4200 miles out of a 32t wolftooth narrow/wide ring, about 2 seasons of riding. I went through 4 cassettes and 7 chains in that period.
    That's rather good, is that one of their new stainless steel rings?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Broke a tooth on my 22t chainring on my fatboy. 1 year of riding snow and dirt. Not sure how, but I'm sure I was riding around for many miles with it like that. Changed out to RF Turbine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You go through a cassette every 1,050 miles and a chain every 600 miles? Wow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I replaced my crank with a RF Cinch and used Turbine rings. My 36t ring has worn quicker than I had expected but I didnt replace the chain or cogs at that time and the chain is shot. I suspect that didn't help matters! As an aside, my RF bb bearings have given me no trouble which is contrary to what others have said!

Elitest thrill junkie
    OP probably needs to run a 30 or 32 front ring and a 40-42t rear cassette. That would be just as effective as the traditional 22t and 34-36t rear and much longer wearing due to the load being spread on a bigger area.

The smaller the gears, the less weight, but the increase in load and wear is significant. For something as small as a 22t, you steel if you use it frequently, aluminum if infrequently.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    I had an interesting conversation with a SRAM rep who said the wear characteristics of their 1x11 setups were different than people are used to. They expect chainrings to wear out first, then chains, then cassettes; roughly 2 chainrings for every chain, and 2 chains for every cassette if you are using all SRAM equipment. These mileage numbers may be off but it worked out to something like 500 miles for a chainring, 1000 miles for the chain, and 2000 miles for the cassette if you replace everything before it's worn into the ground

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoT0AD View Post
    Running a superstar 30T NW on the front, has lasted around 1000 miles so far and I may need to replace it soon.

That's rather good, is that one of their new stainless steel rings?
    alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    You go through a cassette every 1,050 miles and a chain every 600 miles? Wow.
    I replace my chains often, whether they need it or not. I might get more mileage than that, come to think of it, as much as 3 chains per cassette. Replace the chains before the rest of the driveline starts to wear and the expensive bits last longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I wore out a 22t alloy ring on the fat bike in just under 500 miles of riding.

I ordered a steel ring as a replacement. Not interested in saving a few grams. More interested in not replacing a chainring every 500 miles.
    This sounds pretty reasonable to me. A 22T alloy is not going to last long. The new steel ring will probably last >4x longer.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a SRAM rep who said the wear characteristics of their 1x11 setups were different than people are used to. They expect chainrings to wear out first, then chains, then cassettes; roughly 2 chainrings for every chain, and 2 chains for every cassette if you are using all SRAM equipment. These mileage numbers may be off but it worked out to something like 500 miles for a chainring, 1000 miles for the chain, and 2000 miles for the cassette if you replace everything before it's worn into the ground
    If you don't want to replace you chainrings that often, you could step up to a nice WolfTooth stainless steel 1x ring. Then your ring would probably outlast your cassette.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    I'm primarily a road rider but this strikes me as a very low amount of miles. Maybe the comparison is invalid...

On the road, I get ~3,000 miles out of a chain. Even this is likely early as I swap chains before they show any stretch.

I'll get about 10,000 miles out of a cassette. I use Ultegra steel cassettes.

Chainrings, sky's the limit... 20K miles plus? I've personally never had one wear out. Chainrings on the road are obviously much bigger and likely more tolerant of wear.

These mileages you guys are talking about for mountain bikes seem extremely low. What accounts for this dramatic difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Already got a year and 5,000 miles out of my Turbine Cinch 26 chainring - just changing to 3rd chain and 2nd cassette and will see if it runs without slipping - doesn't look too point. I've found that a change in lube to ProGold ProLink has significantly improved chain wear too.

since 4/10/2009
    Just looked at my RF CINCH 28t ring yesterday. I've got a bit over 1,000mi on it. It's got some noticeable side wear, but the gaps between the teeth have plenty of life left. I replaced a chain at about 600mi. My cassette is fine. Shifts are still reliable. I suspect I'll need to replace it by the time I wear out my 2nd chain. I've been wanting to try an oval ring so I'll probably replace it with one of those next.

MTB components wear more heavily than road. Where I live and ride, you shift WAY more on the mtb, even if it's only one gear up or down on the cassette.

I also see that many road riders wear their drivetrains into the ground. From my experience, under mtb conditions, stuff tends to break before it'll let you wear it out that much. Cross is very similar to mtb in that regard. I don't see cross bike drivetrains so heavily worn out as I see on road bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    alloy.

I replace my chains often, whether they need it or not. I might get more mileage than that, come to think of it, as much as 3 chains per cassette. Replace the chains before the rest of the driveline starts to wear and the expensive bits last longer.
    This is what I do, cassettes last ~a year under these conditions for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Have got 3x RF NW a Hope and an e13 on the go they all seem to last a reasonable amount of time. The e13 in particular seems very tough

The NWs always hook the narrow teeth first even though the wide teeth are fine. Usually when they start clicking I think about changing them or putting them on the other way round. No idea of mileage my wear rates are very seasonal (UK)

have not used a chain ring smaller than 34T for many years but i recall 22T granny rings of any material never lasted very long