mtbr member

Lefty wheel builds

I need to build two wheels, one for my Moonlander, and one for a friends pugs. Is there anything unusual, or just pretty straightforward? Do I use the pugs offset for both wheels? Thanks for any pointers, I searched and couldn't find much?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Need the standard lefty wheel building adapter and on the right end of the that you add the pugsley offset adapter. Most people lace all to the left side holes in the rim. You'll have to figure out what dish you need for each rim/tire combo.

Dr Gadget is IN
    When I built up my wheel with 100mm rim and BFL - I found that the Pugsley offset adapter was not enough. But I basically just took the true/tensioned wheel and shifted it over with 1/4 turn + on one side, 1/4 - on the other. I recall moving it more than a full turn, and the tire still rubs at times during a ride. I think the Moonie offset adapter would be too much (56mm vs 35mm for a pugsley)

I think that if you buy 2 P321 adapters

get a longer threaded rod and use one "nut" off the second adapter, you could get adjusto-offset. Put in a regular nut to lock it, and it'll stay put.

Also, I cross laced - as an alternative to lacing just one side of the rim. YMMV.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

Re: Lefty wheel builds

Thank you for the info, I gotta find a lefty truing adapter thing I guess....

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just calculated the spoke length with an online wheel calculator. Rim, hub and offset.
    Built it with the wheel mounted on the lefty. Turned out really good. Have had plenty of miles on it, and it is still perfect

mtbr member

Re: Lefty wheel builds

Thanks

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I think that if you buy 2 P321 adapters

get a longer threaded rod and use one "nut" off the second adapter, you could get adjusto-offset. Put in a regular nut to lock it, and it'll stay put.
    I got tired of my tire rubbing - and decided that I was gonna go with the full Moonie offset rather than messing about. I cut a bit of 1" stock, turned a 15mm shoulder on one end, faced it to 56mm length, drilled a 1/4" hole thru it, then turned a pocket on the other end.

I replaced the P321 extralong setscrew with a piece of 1/4x20 allthread.

Not a sex toy.

Put it to work right away.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Dr Gadget is IN
    Cool tool! But: "For thru axle hubs greater than 135 (142, 150, 157, etc) in the TS-2.2, use the TS-2TA Thru Axle Adaptors."

It looks like you could replace the threaded rod with allthread to go to 170/190, but you would need a (simpler than the one I made) spacer of either 25mm or 56mm to match.

Has anyone used this with a Lefty hub? Given that the Lefty bearings are different sizes, and this tool used cones to hold the hub - would it hold the hub centered? The instructions show setup for a Lefty - and the "Stop Nut" (big black spacer) is outside the truing stand arms.

mtbr member

turtles make me hot
    I have used it with a lefty hub. That's why I showed it. It uses tapered cones on each end. It fits the different Lefty bearings perfectly.
    Also, so far, I haven't needed the extenders on my TS2 yet. I regularly build 170mm fat bike wheels.
    We'll see what happens next week when I start on 190mm hubs.
    I like turtles