mtbr member

Left of Center... and Fat

Just had to post some pics... I got my Lefty brackets from MendonCycleSmith. Also had a RD/Lefty wheel built and my fork rebuilt. First impressions: It is the awesome! Extremely rigid, zero stiction, and way too cool! I'll post some more impressions once I get some miles on it.

The brackets fit like a glove. I was a little wimpy when I cut the headtube and installed the starnut, so I have some extra sticking out above the stem. I figure I'll make sure I have everything in the right place and then I'll cut it again.

This is an awesome solution that, IMO, creates the ultimate hardtail!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Left of Center... and Fat-20120101-newyear-lasvegas-174.jpg  

Left of Center... and Fat-20120101-newyear-lasvegas-183.jpg  

Left of Center... and Fat-20120101-newyear-lasvegas-188.jpg  

Left of Center... and Fat-20120101-newyear-lasvegas-191.jpg  

get down!
    Dope!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

addicted to chunk
    Awesome! I an so jealous!
    Riding.....

Geordie biker
    woah!
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Yep, can't wait to ride it on some singletrack. If the temps fall maybe tomorrow morning. I still need to switch out the rear rotor - I had 203mm rotors front and rear, but the 203mm was a little tight with the lefty. I put a 185mm up there. Just seems strange to have a larger rotor in the rear! Think I'll drop to a 160.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Lookin' sweet!

You should be able to run a 203 or 180(5), the boots are tapered to allow it.

I've been running 203's for years on mine, no issues.

Ride report?????
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    very nice

stubbsy

hows the clearance on the rear with the BFLs i might have to drop one cog on the back on my black ops just the slightest amount of contact.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Whats the weight?
    Last edited by deuxdiesel; 01-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.

PRETENDURO
    Wow, so once MendonCycleSmith starts to mass-produce these kits, we’ll be seeing a lot more Big Fat Lefty™ bikes cruising around!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    You should be able to run a 203 or 180(5), the boots are tapered to allow it.
    Yep, the 203 looked close, but I went with 185 just in case. I may go back up, we'll see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbster View Post
    hows the clearance on the rear with the BFLs i might have to drop one cog on the back on my black ops just the slightest amount of contact.
    With the Origin 8 Sub Compact 2x9, I can run all 9 gears even in low. I'm very close to the tire but it woks just fine. The fender gets tight behind the seat post, so I truncated it to end just as it approaches that tube. Definitely isn't as effective as my full fenders but more appropriate for thrashing around in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Whats the weight?
    Less than a Buick. Actually those forks are light, and the one I ended up with has a titanium spring or housing or something - it's a bit ligher than the regular Lefty. I'll have to put the bike on a scale, but it's still pretty porky.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Wow, so once MendonCycleSmith starts to mass-produce these kits, we’ll be seeing a lot more Big Fat Lefty™ bikes cruising around!
    He has some stock now if you're interested in a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Actually those forks are light, and the one I ended up with has a titanium spring or housing or something - it's a bit ligher than the regular Lefty.
    The ti is the spindle where the wheel is mounted. It even says "Titanium" on it for easy ID

Those are fairly light, not as much as the newer stuff, but also stiffer so it's a good choice over all.

Weight, is much in line with any other 100 mm dual slider fork, generally a tad lighter.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Finally got this thing on some more aggressive single-track today. It is simply awesome. The travel feels truly bottomless, and the bike just handles awesomely! With the Lefty in play, the front wheel just stays on the ground when it used to hop with the rigid fork. This means I can actually steer in the rough stuff. It makes the BFL tire feel much more capable, and the result is less wash-out and more accurate steering. I can approach turns so much faster now. Really seems like a win-win improvement to me. We'll see how it goes when things get a bit more dry, but for now I'm saying this is the best Pugsley mod ever!

Enthusiast
    Jun 2009

User Feedback?

Hoping to draw upon the experience of more riders who have the Lefty mod. I currently have a Necro but am going to build up a new much lighter Ti fatbike for all-season trail riding. (Selling my full squish, keeping my hardtail 29er for fast xc)

Trying to decide whether I should go with the Carver Carbon fork or pay the extra $ (and 1.5#) to put on one of Craig's (awesome) new Lefty forks/clamps. Love the Lefty on my xc bike and can imagine it would work great on a fattie, but it would be a significant commitment to a relatively nascent application. Haven't heard much user feedback so it's hard to extrapolate: how the Lefty will affect handling, how it might change the geometry*, and the effect of long-term rugged use on that particular fork with offset wheel. (*Granted, the a-c can be adjusted to suit a particular frame, and I could use an angleset to tweak it too.)

Would I regret not having the Lefty mod this summer when riding rougher terrain in the CO front range or Fruita/Moab? The other option is a lightweight Carbon (or Ti!) rigid fork with non-offset wheel. I guess neither decision is irreversible, could always change it out down the road...

Thanks for any advice...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    The single most important bit of feedback I can give is that it keeps the bike on the ground better. Fat tires have that bit of give, but at fast rolling summer pressures, that spring has no rebound damping.

I think it works great.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Well, I'm biased of course, but yeah, I'd agree with Drew.

Wheel is much more stuck to the ground. The review that DrunkCyclist.com did, mimics this as well.

I guess what I'd say is, if you plan on riding it like a rigid bike with benefits, its fine rigid. If you are a rigid fork rider inmost pursuits, rigid's fine too.

If your intent is to use your fatty as hard and fast and often as you can, squish up front makes as much sense with fat, as it does with any other hardtail.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyP View Post
    ... how the Lefty will affect handling, how it might change the geometry*, and the effect of long-term rugged use on that particular fork with offset wheel. (*Granted, the a-c can be adjusted to suit a particular frame, and I could use an angleset to tweak it too.)
    The rake (offset) is roughly the same - 45mm on the lefty versus 43mm on the stock Pugsley. That's if you line it up with the slots as a "stock" installation. The beauty of the Mendon clamps is that you can even tweak the offset if you play with wheel dish, etc. As you mentioned, the a-c is also adjustable. Really you'll be able to nail the geometry in every way... and tweak for your liking if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyP View Post
    Would I regret not having the Lefty mod this summer when riding rougher terrain in the CO front range or Fruita/Moab?
    I would regret not having one. I took mine on some very hard trails (no snow but frozen). I'll echo the same thing Craig and Drew are saying above: A well designed suspension keeps the wheel on the ground on rough terrain so you can turn and stop. The Lefty does this very, very well on my Pugsley. Rider comfort is really secondary to the suspension's main purpose... and it is oh-so-comfortable as a side benefit.

As for longevity... I dunno. It feels so fantastically rigid that I can't imagine it having any issues, but it'll take a while to get some long-term results. Meanwhile I promise to beat on mine as often as I can. I'll report immediately if something breaks!

mtbr member
    I have one of these on order. Very excited. I'd actually describe myself as a fully rigid riding kinda guy. So it might seem odd to go with sus for a fatbike. But my rigid SS 29er is mad light, and manually pumping the front end, is part of the fun of riding it. I'm not planning to ride the fat bike as much like an oversized BMX though.

As for longevity. I was sceptical about the wheel. Mainly because I have a thing for symmetrical spoke tension. But the dishing is'nt much worse than that of any disc braked front wheel. It just goes in the opposite direction. So, having built one, I'm more than happy with it. The axle is far stronger, and stiffer than a standard front axle. Plus any forces acting on the now extended clamps are post damper. Not that it would matter, as it strikes me as better to have a one sided double crown, than a two sided single crown. When it comes to coping with vertical forces.

It looks like a silly, gimmick filled idea. That could never survive. But what it actually is (IMHO), is pure genius.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    It's perrrrfect!
    Now I've added a Huska-du. It's perrrfecter more! (can that be!)
    Can't wait till summer. And I'm thinking of another lefty with clamps for the next project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    ...I'd actually describe myself as a fully rigid riding kinda guy. So it might seem odd to go with sus for a fatbike....

...I'm not planning to ride the fat bike as much like an oversized BMX...
    That really sums up what I like about the "hardtail fatty". It makes for the perfect all-terrain crawler. When I ran this thing rigid back in the summer, I always felt sluggish as I approached logs and rocks that caused me to have to pull up on the handlebars. These things just ain't light enough to do that every time! With the Lefty I can approach stuff much more like I would with my normal hardtail 29er.

This mod really does play into the monster-bike experience. I simply feel like I can roll over anything!