Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Leave no trace

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  ImaFred 
#1 ·
Awhile back there was a topic about Fatbikes not leaving a trace on trails. Where can I find it or how do I find it?

Thanks Terry

#5 ·
Fat wheels do leave an impression on soft surfaces. My experience is that it is much shallower than a footprint.

so you are telling me a nate with 30lb of air pressure on a soft trail leaves no trace?
30psi in a Nate? Probably leave no impression at all as the rider kangaroos off the trail. :D

#8 ·
I'm 172lbs and my bike is about 35 lbs. I've ridden my Muk2 with Nates on trails with ABSOLUTELY no trace that I've ridden the trails. Albeit they were paved trails. :D

#10 ·
Wind will eventually leave it's mark on stone.

Everything leaves a trace somewhere. Everything makes an impact on the environment somehow.

An airplane leaves a trace of burnt hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

A fat bike leaves a trace. Not as bad as some, but it leaves a trace. Especially if you consider the nature of bikes and biking- you ride off trail on your fat bike, leaving little trace. You enjoyed it, so tomorrow, you ride it again, leaving little trace, but adding to yesterday's trail and so on and so on.

Eventually, it adds up.

#12 ·
Wind will eventually leave it's mark on stone.

Everything leaves a trace somewhere. Everything makes an impact on the environment somehow.

An airplane leaves a trace of burnt hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

A fat bike leaves a trace. Not as bad as some, but it leaves a trace. Especially if you consider the nature of bikes and biking- you ride off trail on your fat bike, leaving little trace. You enjoyed it, so tomorrow, you ride it again, leaving little trace, but adding to yesterday's trail and so on and so on.

Eventually, it adds up.
The irrelevant tautology aside, what's your point?

#13 ·
Point is, it's kinda silly to think you can roll a bike through any environment and not leave some sort of a trace.

We used to think standard mtbs left no trace, too. Until the traces they left got bigger and next thing you know great huge swaths of outdoor space were closed off to us forever.

It would be wise not to repeat that mistake.

#23 · (Edited)
If my Nate 3.8s do not leave any tracks I want to get on an episode of Man Tracker
Could you imagine the look on that cowboys face when I am sitting at the finish line with a bright orange 907

Sj
Lmao ... You've got to contact them with this idea! I'm anxiously awaiting the episode now :D

On another note....
I love to leave my trace all over :smilewinkgrin:

#19 ·
dl1030 was a part of this conversation on our local forum: Friends of Off Road Cycling

Started out with a simple ride and quickly turned into a huge fuss.

Nates at 30psi? I can't get mine to 25psi without blowing them off the rims! I run 6psi front 8 psi back. I can't see any reason why someone would want to run such high pressures anyway. Totally negates the purpose of the fat tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.