Thread: Leave no trace

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Leave no trace

Awhile back there was a topic about Fatbikes not leaving a trace on trails. Where can I find it or how do I find it?

Thanks Terry

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    speculation. all based on tire tread, air pressure, type of soil, etc.

while it may hold true more often than not, dont get too caught up in it. you will not win any fights at your local club as to why you are allowed to ride in wet conditions

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No - it's not mere speculation, but rather, a conclusion based on a fairly large number of empirical observations. And if your mission is to "win fights" with your local bike club, go find another club.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    so you are telling me a nate with 30lb of air pressure on a soft trail leaves no trace? sounds fishy, but whatever.

mtbr member
    Fat wheels do leave an impression on soft surfaces. My experience is that it is much shallower than a footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by dl1030 View Post
    so you are telling me a nate with 30lb of air pressure on a soft trail leaves no trace?
    30psi in a Nate? Probably leave no impression at all as the rider kangaroos off the trail.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1030 View Post
    so you are telling me a nate with 30lb of air pressure on a soft trail leaves no trace? sounds fishy, but whatever.
    About the same trace as someone hiking in hockey skates.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by twklei View Post
    Awhile back there was a topic about Fatbikes not leaving a trace on trails. Where can I find it or how do I find it?

Thanks Terry
    If you use the search engine of this forum you will find this :
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=11885415

mtbr member
    I'm 172lbs and my bike is about 35 lbs. I've ridden my Muk2 with Nates on trails with ABSOLUTELY no trace that I've ridden the trails. Albeit they were paved trails.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by twklei View Post

Thanks Terry
    Terry, here is a good one:

Trail damage thread - why fatbikes are better than walkers

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Wind will eventually leave it's mark on stone.

Everything leaves a trace somewhere. Everything makes an impact on the environment somehow.

An airplane leaves a trace of burnt hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

A fat bike leaves a trace. Not as bad as some, but it leaves a trace. Especially if you consider the nature of bikes and biking- you ride off trail on your fat bike, leaving little trace. You enjoyed it, so tomorrow, you ride it again, leaving little trace, but adding to yesterday's trail and so on and so on.

Eventually, it adds up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not trying to win any fights with the local bike club, because I am the local bike club. But I also own a fatbike. I just wanted to read the topic.

Thanks to those who posted the topic on where to find the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Wind will eventually leave it's mark on stone.

Everything leaves a trace somewhere. Everything makes an impact on the environment somehow.

An airplane leaves a trace of burnt hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

A fat bike leaves a trace. Not as bad as some, but it leaves a trace. Especially if you consider the nature of bikes and biking- you ride off trail on your fat bike, leaving little trace. You enjoyed it, so tomorrow, you ride it again, leaving little trace, but adding to yesterday's trail and so on and so on.

Eventually, it adds up.
    The irrelevant tautology aside, what's your point?

mtbr member
    Point is, it's kinda silly to think you can roll a bike through any environment and not leave some sort of a trace.

We used to think standard mtbs left no trace, too. Until the traces they left got bigger and next thing you know great huge swaths of outdoor space were closed off to us forever.

It would be wise not to repeat that mistake.

mtbr member
    ...It would be wise not to repeat that mistake.
    Could the mistake be closing off large swathes of the countryside and forcing all the traffic into limited areas, thus guaranteeing overuse?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Could the mistake be closing off large swathes of the countryside and forcing all the traffic into limited areas, thus guaranteeing overuse?

Only in the same way as it's a mistake to go to work every day when you can just go pick money off the tree in your backyard.

Oh wait

Trying to pick money from trees and pointing out that a beurocratic decision that mainly limits you was a mistake wont get you anywhere.

That said, Buckfidious is using a Vandeman arguement. Sure, fat bikes leave a minimal trace. So do boots, bare feet and everything else, even hoverboards. The question is how much of a trace and wether the effects of that trace can be justified. There is no question that fatbikes leave less of a trace than regular mountain bikes, and in most circumstances, less of a trace than boots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For some strange reason, I enjoy looking at the imprints my tires make. I do two laps or circle back in search of my mark. I have no desire to notice others tracks. I only find gratification in my own.

Sup
    If my Nate 3.8s do not leave any tracks I want to get on an episode of Man Tracker
    Could you imagine the look on that cowboys face when I am sitting at the finish line with a bright orange 907

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Leave no trace-tracks.jpg
    Some 2.2 tire, Larry, Nate
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Perpetual n00b
    dl1030 was a part of this conversation on our local forum: Friends of Off Road Cycling

Started out with a simple ride and quickly turned into a huge fuss.

Nates at 30psi? I can't get mine to 25psi without blowing them off the rims! I run 6psi front 8 psi back. I can't see any reason why someone would want to run such high pressures anyway. Totally negates the purpose of the fat tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Point is, it's kinda silly to think you can roll a bike through any environment and not leave some sort of a trace.

We used to think standard mtbs left no trace, too. Until the traces they left got bigger and next thing you know great huge swaths of outdoor space were closed off to us forever.

It would be wise not to repeat that mistake.
    That's why I always tell people not to throw rocks into Lake Superior. Because as we all know, if everyone threw rocks into Lake Superior, eventually it would fill up with rocks and cease to be a lake. Right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Only in the same way as it's a mistake to go to work every day when you can just go pick money off the tree in your backyard.

Oh wait

Trying to pick money from trees and pointing out that a beurocratic decision that mainly limits you was a mistake wont get you anywhere.

That said, Buckfidious is using a Vandeman arguement. Sure, fat bikes leave a minimal trace. So do boots, bare feet and everything else, even hoverboards. The question is how much of a trace and wether the effects of that trace can be justified. There is no question that fatbikes leave less of a trace than regular mountain bikes, and in most circumstances, less of a trace than boots.
    I went and looked up this Vendeman guy. Clearly he's someone to be ignored - the inane ramblings of an imbalanced mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    That's why I always tell people not to throw rocks into Lake Superior. Because as we all know, if everyone threw rocks into Lake Superior, eventually it would fill up with rocks and cease to be a lake. Right?
    You know the old gag, snowflakes are harmless until they gang up on you.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    If my Nate 3.8s do not leave any tracks I want to get on an episode of Man Tracker
    Could you imagine the look on that cowboys face when I am sitting at the finish line with a bright orange 907

Sj
    Lmao ... You've got to contact them with this idea! I'm anxiously awaiting the episode now

On another note....
    I love to leave my trace all over
    Last edited by ImaFred; 01-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    I dig dirt!