Thread: Lauf vs. Bluto

mtbr member

Lauf vs. Bluto

Newbie to fat biking. Looking to pick one up shortly. Probably 50/50 winter/ summer use.

Was wondering about feedback from guys who have used the Lauf fork and the Bluto.

Pro's and Con's for each?

Thanks!!

frl
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    +1. I have used bluto. Really want to try lauf.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    First, make sure the geometry of your new bike can fit a Lauf or Bluto.

Even some bikes with the proper tapered head tube, can't take the 120mm travel Bluto without the possibility of the fork hitting the frame.

So even if the bike says "Bluto Ready", make sure that it actually is "120mm Bluto Ready", and make sure that the front wheel has a 150mm hub that can accept a 15mm through axle - or it's going to cost you a bunch of cash for a new wheel or new hub and rebuild.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post

Pro's and Con's for each?

Lauf

Pros:
    Maintenance free
    Works the same in all weather conditions
    Progressive (no need for lookout)
    Manages vee 2xl on 90mm rims
    Light

Cons:
    Insanely expensive
    Only 60mm travel
    No rebound dampening

Bluto

Pros:
    Cheaper than lauf
    Real dampening effect
    Up to 120mm travel
    Rebound dampening

Cons:
    Heavy
    Slugish
    Needs maintenance
    Weather dependent (struggles in real cold weather)

The lauf is often seen as something between rigid and suspension. Better for people who "just want to take the edge off" without a weight penalty and need for maintenance, whereas the bluto is better if you need real suspension (trial/DH riding) and have a smaller wallet ☺️

mtbr member
    https://fat-bike.com/2015/07/lauf-carbonara-tested/

Good review that compares the two.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    The main reason I am asking is because I am looking at a custom Framed Alaskan from The House. The cost of a build with a Pluto vs Lauf is $300.00.

Since I have never ridden a fat bike.......I am not really sure what I am after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I always liked the cool colors of the Framed wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lauf vs. Bluto-framed-purple.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Get a Wren or Lauf, skip the Bluto.
    They have 2015 versions, 150mm hub with 100mm travel on sale for $699.00

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
    They have 2015 versions, 150mm hub with 100mm travel on sale for $699.00
    There is a pretty big difference between the 2015 version and the new style. The old style has only 1 air chamber the new has 2 air chambers. The only downside to the wren is they are heavy about a pound more the a bluto. But if you want a real suspension fork wren is the way to go.

mtbr member
    What I really need is a good question. This will not be my primary bike. This will be a back up summer bike/ part time training bike to my Spearfish.

Originally was planning on going all rigid but everybody keeps telling me I need some front suspension......

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The lauf is a real nice fork for 75 percent of the conditions. Here in New England I love it for snow riding as it really takes away the chatter of rigid. It's also the bike I reach for if I'm going to places that have fast single track. Not my favorite to take to the heavy roots and rocks but it's very doable just not the best tool at my disposal

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    First, make sure the geometry of your new bike can fit a Lauf or Bluto.

Even some bikes with the proper tapered head tube, can't take the 120mm travel Bluto without the possibility of the fork hitting the frame.

So even if the bike says "Bluto Ready", make sure that it actually is "120mm Bluto Ready", and make sure that the front wheel has a 150mm hub that can accept a 15mm through axle - or it's going to cost you a bunch of cash for a new wheel or new hub and rebuild.
    Kinda off topic but why does it need to 120mm Bluto ready? Where did that even come from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a 'radio' interview with Kevin Wren about his fork.
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/09/weekly-...pension-forks/

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Kinda off topic but why does it need to 120mm Bluto ready? Where did that even come from?
    The size bluto a frame can take only has to do with the geometry. It has nothing to do with it hitting the frame. Most frames are designed around the 100mm bluto and you use the 120mm bluto, it will raise your front end, bottom bracket, and slack out the front end. If the frame was designed around a rigid non suspension corrected fork, then you will want an 80mm bluto, or the lauf.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny5jz View Post
    The size bluto a frame can take only has to do with the geometry. It has nothing to do with it hitting the frame. Most frames are designed around the 100mm bluto and you use the 120mm bluto, it will raise your front end, bottom bracket, and slack out the front end. If the frame was designed around a rigid non suspension corrected fork, then you will want an 80mm bluto, or the lauf.
    I know geometry and how a forks a2c affects it. I was just wondering why you brought up 120mm travel in the first place when the op said nothing about wanting a fork that long.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    While a long a s s fork can throw the caster angle into oblivion, a Lauf, being an undampened spring, drop your tire pressure and you have an undampened spring without coughing a grand... And your rigid fork prolly doesn't look like some kind of diabolical medical device from WW2 death camps.

+1 for a Wren.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    andy81 nailed it. i would lauf is you are slow and just want to take the edge off, or wren if you are fast and need damping for multiple hits/drops. bluto seems to suck everywhere...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you're buying a bike, get one with a Bluto already installed (and don't pay MSRP for the bike). They are overpriced to buy aftermarket. A lot of Bluto hate on this forum. All I can say is I ride mine pretty hard and have had no problems. Don't expect it to be a enduro/DH fork, especially if you are big. Wren might be very good, not aware of it being specked on any production bikes though, so you might have to pay retail for it. There is a very long Wren adjustment advice thread be sure to check that out, especially if tinkering is not your thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A friend of mine is running a Fox plus-tire fork on his fat bike. Plenty of clearance for the 4" tires he is running, but certainly no room for the truly wide tires out there. Just saying, if you are happy with 4" tires then "the Fox fork will really transform your bike" (his words).

Fred

mtbr member
    I have both....and I like both. The bluto is better on the rougher stuff. But for what I mostly ride here in FL, I favor the Lauf as it fits my favorite 27.5 4.5" tire and leaves my front end so much lighter. Enjoy climbing with it.

MN/WI
    On my Farley 9.8, given my current a2c, tire radius, and using the formula provided by Wren to calculate the max travel, the Lauf and Wren had the same amount of travel. So it became an issue of weight and how I like to ride. Also, QBP distributes the Lauf, so my LBS could order and install it. Finally, Lauf has a five year warranty.

I found both Wren and Lauf to be very responsive to my emails, which is very positive.

Forgot to mention that I had to go to a 180mm rotor.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    On my Farley 9.8, given my current a2c, tire radius, and using the formula provided by Wren to calculate the max travel, the Lauf and Wren had the same amount of travel.
    That sounds a little strange the lauf only has 60mm travel and the Farley should be "bluto compatible" for 100mm travel without influencing the geo. I know wren isn't bluto (perhaps it's longer?), but you should be able to fit a wren and get more than 60mm travel.. 60mm is very short.

Basically any front damper would and should provide at least 80-100mm travel on most bikes while maintaining the same angles and length.

In general:
    That's the reason why lauf "looses" out when people ride hard trails and need real dampening since 100mm+ will provide a lot more cush.
    It "wins" on weight, maintenance and simplicity for those of us who aren't bombing down the hardest trails.

Lauf isn't really a damper, but something to "take the edge off" the riding. 60mm and no dampening on the rebound is night and day compared to a wren fork.

I'm a huge lauf fan though, and hoping to purchase one eventually.

MN/WI
    Got this formula from the good folks at Wren:

Potential travel = a2c - crown height - tire radius - safety

So for me it was

490 - 28 (per Wren) - 391 (27.5x4.5) - 10 (per Wren) = 61
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lauf vs. Bluto-img_5731.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got this formula from the good folks at Wren:

Potential travel = a2c - crown height - tire radius - safety

So for me it was

490 - 28 (per Wren) - 391 (27.5x4.5) - 10 (per Wren) = 61

I think you are forgetting about sag. Your Farley is designed around a 100mm suspension fork which is 511mm ac, which with 20% sag would be 490. You could run a Wren at 100mm travel @25% sag and have a similar ac, or if you needed additional clearance for the tires worst case keep the fork length the same but limit the travel to 90mm.

I'm guessing the Lauf sags as well, so if it was a 490mm fork you would sag somewhere in the 475-480mm ac range which would quicken your handling a bit.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Jammin' Econo
    I love my Lauf. As mentioned, it does a great job of taking the edge off, is very lightweight and zero maintenance, which is a bonus for the cold winters where I live. My fat bike is largely just for winter riding and the occasional bikepacking trip, though.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member

re: coughing

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    drop your tire pressure and you have an undampened spring without coughing a grand
    Before Lauf installation, dropping pressure enough to approximate that compliance made issues of rolling resistance and self-steering. With an innertube, that underinflated tire arguably had more damping, tho...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On my Farley 9.8, given my current a2c, tire radius, and using the formula provided by Wren to calculate the max travel, the Lauf and Wren had the same amount of travel. So it became an issue of weight and how I like to ride. Also, QBP distributes the Lauf, so my LBS could order and install it. Finally, Lauf has a five year warranty.

I found both Wren and Lauf to be very responsive to my emails, which is very positive.

Forgot to mention that I had to go to a 180mm rotor.
    How do you like the Lauf on the Farley 9.8? I have a Farley 9.8 with 100mm bluto and thinking about getting a Lauf. Did the Lauf slacken the front end of the Farley at all? Did you go from bluto to Lauf or rigid to Lauf? Is it worth the swamp for someone with a bluto already?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Is it worth the swamp for someone with a bluto already?
    This depends heavily on how you plan to ride. A Lauf (and I have one) and a Bluto are different tools for different jobs. Bluto vs. Wren? More of a direct comparison. My feeling on the Lauf is if you'd prefer rigid but can't take the beating that it serves up, a Lauf will do you well. If you ride aggressively and need the travel/damping for bigger hits, it's not for you. For me, and the kind of riding I do, it works great. Horses for courses.

MN/WI
    How do you like the Lauf on the Farley 9.8? I have a Farley 9.8 with 100mm bluto and thinking about getting a Lauf. Did the Lauf slacken the front end of the Farley at all? Did you go from bluto to Lauf or rigid to Lauf? Is it worth the swamp for someone with a bluto already?
    It turned out that the ATC remained the same, given the sag. That was good. I went rigid to Lauf -- and sold the rigid. I did have to get a bigger rotor.

I was able to do more no snow (Battle Creek) riding and noticed more (coming from a FS) the backend difference than the front. The true test is still going to be the CAMBA trails. But so far, it's doing exactly what I asked it to do.

Check out this viddy...

mtbr member
    Farley fork is 490mm and lauf is 493mm.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....