Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?

Would like to get feedback/review from someone that owns one and has put some miles on it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

very good fork

Hi my friend,

The Lauf is a great fork. She appears to float on small bumps. It absorbs the defects.

nice performance
    zero maintenance
    very light (1100gr)
    extraordiraire look
    5 years warranty (if there are breaks after 5 years = 50% discount on new)

If you buy an Lauf, you will not regret your choice.

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-photo1132.jpgLauf' Carbonara Fork?-photo1135.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hands down the ugliest thing you could ever do to your bike. People who own them or have tried them seem to rave about 'em though. I personally wouldn't run it if you gave it to me, but kudos to these guys for bringing this thing to market. Looks like they are going to do well with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Hands down the ugliest thing you could ever do to your bike. People who own them or have tried them seem to rave about 'em though. I personally wouldn't run it if you gave it to me, but kudos to these guys for bringing this thing to market. Looks like they are going to do well with it.
    Second this, they are a case of function over form... but those who have them, love the small bump compliance they have.

The thing that puts me off is not having a lock out.... my first pair of forks way back in '97 had no lock out and I could feel the energy draining out me as I climbed.

This being said, they are a great zero maintenance solution!!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Eww!!! They might function, but hideous it is. How adjustable are they?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here, I drive in the forest and on the beach. On the tree roots, the Lauf is perfect.

To ride on the rocks, I have a Mukluk with Bluto. and To mount I block.

Lauf or Bluto: it depends on the way

Lauf 1100gr : snow, sand et roots

Bluto 1760gr : mountain, rocks, road

Lauf or Bluto: it is always a pleasure to ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    How adjustable are they?
    they have two different spring rates depending on rider weight.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    The thing that puts me off is not having a lock out.... my first pair of forks way back in '97 had no lock out and I could feel the energy draining out me as I climbed.
    Even when honking out of the saddle you don't feel them moving. No need for a lockout.

My only complaint about the Lauf is that it won't fit the new 5.05" tire on a 105mm rim. Fits any 4.8" on a 100 no problem.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Even when honking out of the saddle you don't feel them moving. No need for a lockout.
    Others have said similar, good to hear. I need to try before I buy!

mtbr member
    May 2011

My only complaint about the Lauf is that it won't fit the new 5.05" tire on a 105mm rim. Fits any 4.8" on a 100 no problem.
    Mike, I'm intrigued by the Lauf, especially since I'm totally familiar with the strengths and shortcomings of the alternative (Bluto). I'm concerned, though, that the Carbonara's axle-to-crown length of 494mm would noticeably change the handling of my Fatboy by slackening out the head angle and lifting the front of the bike, affecting its climbing ability. At HA=70.5 degrees, I feel like my Fatboy is relatively nimble through twisty sections of trail, which I like. I'm not a downhill "bomber," so I don't miss the increased stability of the slacker frame/fork designs.

According to the Specialized website, the carbon Fatboy fork has a 467mm a-c measurement, and I've been running an 80mm Bluto (the "recommended" one, a-c = 492) with about 30% sag, which makes it measure very similarly to the carbon fork's a-c measurement. Just to complicate things further, though, I'm sure that the fork offset has an impact on all of this, too. In my case, the stock fork has a 46mm offset, while the Bluto has a 51mm offset.

Does the Carbonara have any "sag" to speak of that would reduce the a-c length difference? Is my thought process sound if maintaining the "stock" handling is the objective? I know that some guys put a 100mm (or even 120mm) Bluto on their Fatboys and like them, but I wonder if I'd feel the same. It seems like the Carbonaras currently being offered might be better suited for frames for which a 100mm Bluto is recommended. But maybe the unique shape of the Carbonara counteracts some of the discrepancies that I've cited.

Any observations? Am I overthinking the possible effects of going to a longer fork like the Carbonara? It would be an expensive "experiment." Thanks.

Yes, there is sag.

aka bOb
    Yup couldn't do it either!!

All fat, all the time.
    I'd run one on a dedicated snow bike (if someone gave it to me)

Kinda like a lefty, after a week of riding it, it would look "normal".....lol

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just want to know if it could handle rocky desert downhill bombing runs?

Like the lefty, I enjoy the unique looks and its weight is great!

Jammin' Econo
    They are very cool, for sure. And I actually like the funky, 'function over form' looks. I can only hope it will be trickle-down technology and that someday there will be one for half that price.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    I would consider it if and when my carbon rigid goes south (hopefully the price will drop by then too!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for. Super cool! And, no, probably not the tool for gnar desert DH runs.

mtbr member
    How is this fork for lateral stiffness? Do you notice a difference in steering vs. a conventional fork like the Bluto?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How is this fork for lateral stiffness? Do you notice a difference in steering vs. a conventional fork like the Bluto?
    I don't notice a difference from Bluto.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't notice a difference from Bluto.
    But do you a notice a difference in comparison to a "real fork", like a Pike?

Do you think a heavy duty version would handle tandem work, 340#?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    But do you a notice a difference in comparison to a "real fork", like a Pike?

Do you think a heavy duty version would handle tandem work, 340#?
    I ride fatbikes on soft surfaces. I ride Pike on hard surfaces. No comparison between the riding styles, nor bikes ridden on each. Apples and watermelons.

No idea how to the answer the tandem question. Does an HD version even exist?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    HD = Regular (> 175#)

I sent them an email.

My buddy has one on his 29er race bike, he liked it once he had the HA correct.

I wonder about the torsionally rigidity, though if it's better than the Bluto that is something...

I ride fatbikes on soft surfaces. I ride Pike on hard surfaces. No comparison between the riding styles, nor bikes ridden on each. Apples and watermelons.

No idea how to the answer the tandem question. Does an HD version even exist?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like an XC fork in the extreme. Something for your rigid race bike when you need a bit of front end squish. No comparison at all to the current crop of suspension forks.

But the fatbike applications for traditional users (snow, touring, pedaling) are enticing. Very clever of these guys to include a wide fork in the line up. I predict it will do well.

mtbr member
    Is there any damping with the lauf fork?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Is there any damping with the lauf fork?
    Only what is inherent to the material (like elastomer), which means it will only work in a finite speed range or optimally at one speed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK here's my take. I bought a Lauf fork second hand at half price and mounted it on my carbon 29er race bike. Total weight 1x10 was 17 1/2 pounds ! I was in heaven, I thought. Rode it hard for about 2 months. Hills were a treat but bumpy downhills and hard jagged turns were another matter. Remember first there is only 2 inches of travel when most of us are used to 4. The fork does not feel like it is bottoming and the bounce is limited. However if you put the forks between your legs and twist you will see the wheel drastically bend off line. After a few near death like moments I switched back to my RS Reba and although 1 1/4 pounds heavier it felt like a new bike with much more control and confidence. Will it work for my carbon Beargrease? Probably but I will not invest almost 1K to find out if I like it. Sorry Lauf but not a high performance item.

Quote Originally Posted by Leebherron View Post
    if you put the forks between your legs and twist you will see the wheel drastically bend off line.
    I've found that, generally, when riding, if the fork is suddenly between my legs I've made a significant mistake and am about to be on the ground. Usually bleeding.

If I can keep the fork out in front of me, I'm usually fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Mike, good thing I was between sips of coffee there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rode it at InterBike Dirt Demo. It was on a large Pivot Les Fat. They make two forks. One or rider under 80KG (or there about) and one for above. Not sure what they called the different forks. I rode the 80KG above fork and I'm about 85KG. I know it was working. I did feel the bob out of the saddle. It is hard to say how well it worked. This is desert and rocky where I rode it. It does not perform like a Bluto. Less travel and much more harsh. I wish I would have ridden it back to back with a rigid fork. I know it was taking the edge off. I really wondered if I needed it for the snow riding that I do. I felt not, but everyone is different. Minimal weight penalty and a little cush. It does take the edge of from a rigid SS that I own/ride with a 29+ Knard on the front and a BS Faith Truss fork. I know it's hard to test them out prior to buying and I know they are expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone find a deal? Price is the only thing keeping me from given one a try.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I suspect it may be the answer for rigid riders who get fed up of frozen postholed tracks. Someone coming from a suspension fork is simply going to feel its deficiencies.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I suspect it may be the answer for rigid riders who get fed up of frozen postholed tracks. Someone coming from a suspension fork is simply going to feel its strengths.
    Fixed.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is a lauf carbonara for sale on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by DBLUNG View Post
    Anyone find a deal? Price is the only thing keeping me from given one a try.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Interesting take..I see where you are coming from, but I dont find the design any less offensive than most full suspension bikes. Not a natural look, agreed
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    $850 is kinda steep for a used fork and no warranty.

Anyone know the widest tire that'll fit on the 29er Lauf?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    There is a lauf carbonara for sale on ebay.

sluice box
    ^^^^^not much more than 2.3 based on what I've seen.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a shame, it'd make a nice plus sized fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    ^^^^^not much more than 2.3 based on what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    That's a shame, it'd make a nice plus sized fork.
    The carbonara will fit up to a 3" on 29 wheel. At least that's what the website says.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    The carbonara will fit up to a 3" on 29 wheel. At least that's what the website says.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    The carbonara will easily fit a 29 x 4", maybe even 29 x 4.8", not that such a beast exists. Yet...

I ran the new Vee 26 x 5.05" on a 90mm rim in the Carbonara, tubeless. 5mm of clearance on each side seemed like plenty to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Firstly, anyone basing your MTB buying decisions on how a thing looks in a picture on the internet, you need to take a long hard look at yourself - then give yourself a slap.

I've had a Lauf for around three months now.
    One week of that was holiday in Spain with uplift. That is like a couple of months riding condensed down. The riding out there is relentlessly rocky, loose, steep, switchbacky and fast.
    Here's a video from last year which gives a good idea of the type of riding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAsqjHZb00

As I weigh 230+ lbs, stiffnes was a concern before I bought the fork, having read reports of the 29er version being flexy. The Carbonara is solid though, no odd steering characteristics at all.
    What I wanted was something to take the edge off big hits when riding downhill at speed, rather than ironing out the small bumps. The Lauf does both well. It's quite different to a tele fork as you'd expect. The best way I could describe it is feeling like I've taken off my 4.8 tyre and replaced it with a huge volume 8" tyre. It just soaks up much more.

Something I love about riding a rigid fatbike on steep rocky tech terrain is the static angles and not having to fight the suspension squishing around and steepening the HA. The 60mm travel of the Lauf is just enough on a fatbike. It still feels quite close to a rigid.

One slight concern for rocky riding is the amount of chips I'm picking up on the bottom of the legs. Some rubber boots, like the ones some carbon cranks have, would be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What about rider weight? 75kg rider should select regular or light? My bike is 15kg weight

mtbr member
    Lauf w/ BUD/100mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-2016-02-04-20.19.14.jpg  

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-_1040617a.jpg  

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-_1040621a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The carbonara will easily fit a 29 x 4", maybe even 29 x 4.8", not that such a beast exists. Yet...

I ran the new Vee 26 x 5.05" on a 90mm rim in the Carbonara, tubeless. 5mm of clearance on each side seemed like plenty to me.
    Carbonara with vee 2xl on 90mm, have you ridden it for long? Was that with stretched tires, or brand new ones? Where those hookless rims?

You mention that 105mm rims +vee 2xl rubs the Carbonara, what would you say is the max rim that would enable 2xl tires in carbonara without rubbing?

By the sound of it 90mm rims might be the sweet spot since 5mm sounds like the minimum clearance. (space for tire stretch, slight wobble, etc)?

mtbr member
    For a motorcyclist the look is reminiscent of old school leading link suspension and retro. Might be the ticket for my beach riding where the bumps are somewhat minor (footprints, hoof prints, wheel ruts, small rocks).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
    Carbonara with vee 2xl on 90mm, have you ridden it for long? Was that with stretched tires, or brand new ones? Where those hookless rims?

You mention that 105mm rims +vee 2xl rubs the Carbonara, what would you say is the max rim that would enable 2xl tires in carbonara without rubbing?

By the sound of it 90mm rims might be the sweet spot since 5mm sounds like the minimum clearance. (space for tire stretch, slight wobble, etc)?
    Stretched tires, tubeless, on hookless 90mm rims.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the 2XL on a rim wider than 90mm in the Lauf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Stretched tires, tubeless, on hookless 90mm rims.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the 2XL on a rim wider than 90mm in the Lauf.
    Thanks, great reply.

I've been drooling over the Carbonara for a year and a half now, 2xl support and price has been the only two things holding me back.
    Hearing that 2xl on 90mm rims is OK makes the fork even more appealing. I just wish lauf would have made it just a tiny bit wider..

sluice box
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf? I'm renewing the old Fatback and looking to see if I can keep my bb7s. I've heard reports of them not working from the UK.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    its working for me, but you need larger 183mm disc

sluice box
    thanks I just unboxed mine and need to relace my wheel.
    ptarmigan hardcore

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    thanks I just unboxed mine and need to relace my wheel.
    Not sure what type of hub you have, but there are solutions out there to avoid this. "MTBtools" on ebay makes a generic 135 to 150 hub spacer kit along with a 7.5mm thick aluminum rotor spacer. If you have a salsa hub, you can get new end caps that are symmetrically 7.5mm wider as well, but not through Salsa. They are machined by Hauck bicycles in Colorado. He is also on ebay as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast