Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?

Would like to get feedback/review from someone that owns one and has put some miles on it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

very good fork

Hi my friend,

The Lauf is a great fork. She appears to float on small bumps. It absorbs the defects.

nice performance
    zero maintenance
    very light (1100gr)
    extraordiraire look
    5 years warranty (if there are breaks after 5 years = 50% discount on new)

If you buy an Lauf, you will not regret your choice.

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-photo1132.jpgLauf' Carbonara Fork?-photo1135.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hands down the ugliest thing you could ever do to your bike. People who own them or have tried them seem to rave about 'em though. I personally wouldn't run it if you gave it to me, but kudos to these guys for bringing this thing to market. Looks like they are going to do well with it.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Hands down the ugliest thing you could ever do to your bike. People who own them or have tried them seem to rave about 'em though. I personally wouldn't run it if you gave it to me, but kudos to these guys for bringing this thing to market. Looks like they are going to do well with it.
    Second this, they are a case of function over form... but those who have them, love the small bump compliance they have.

The thing that puts me off is not having a lock out.... my first pair of forks way back in '97 had no lock out and I could feel the energy draining out me as I climbed.

This being said, they are a great zero maintenance solution!!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Eww!!! They might function, but hideous it is. How adjustable are they?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here, I drive in the forest and on the beach. On the tree roots, the Lauf is perfect.

To ride on the rocks, I have a Mukluk with Bluto. and To mount I block.

Lauf or Bluto: it depends on the way

Lauf 1100gr : snow, sand et roots

Bluto 1760gr : mountain, rocks, road

Lauf or Bluto: it is always a pleasure to ride

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    How adjustable are they?
    they have two different spring rates depending on rider weight.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    The thing that puts me off is not having a lock out.... my first pair of forks way back in '97 had no lock out and I could feel the energy draining out me as I climbed.
    Even when honking out of the saddle you don't feel them moving. No need for a lockout.

My only complaint about the Lauf is that it won't fit the new 5.05" tire on a 105mm rim. Fits any 4.8" on a 100 no problem.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Even when honking out of the saddle you don't feel them moving. No need for a lockout.
    Others have said similar, good to hear. I need to try before I buy!

mtbr member
    May 2011

My only complaint about the Lauf is that it won't fit the new 5.05" tire on a 105mm rim. Fits any 4.8" on a 100 no problem.
    Mike, I'm intrigued by the Lauf, especially since I'm totally familiar with the strengths and shortcomings of the alternative (Bluto). I'm concerned, though, that the Carbonara's axle-to-crown length of 494mm would noticeably change the handling of my Fatboy by slackening out the head angle and lifting the front of the bike, affecting its climbing ability. At HA=70.5 degrees, I feel like my Fatboy is relatively nimble through twisty sections of trail, which I like. I'm not a downhill "bomber," so I don't miss the increased stability of the slacker frame/fork designs.

According to the Specialized website, the carbon Fatboy fork has a 467mm a-c measurement, and I've been running an 80mm Bluto (the "recommended" one, a-c = 492) with about 30% sag, which makes it measure very similarly to the carbon fork's a-c measurement. Just to complicate things further, though, I'm sure that the fork offset has an impact on all of this, too. In my case, the stock fork has a 46mm offset, while the Bluto has a 51mm offset.

Does the Carbonara have any "sag" to speak of that would reduce the a-c length difference? Is my thought process sound if maintaining the "stock" handling is the objective? I know that some guys put a 100mm (or even 120mm) Bluto on their Fatboys and like them, but I wonder if I'd feel the same. It seems like the Carbonaras currently being offered might be better suited for frames for which a 100mm Bluto is recommended. But maybe the unique shape of the Carbonara counteracts some of the discrepancies that I've cited.

Any observations? Am I overthinking the possible effects of going to a longer fork like the Carbonara? It would be an expensive "experiment." Thanks.

Yes, there is sag.

aka bOb
    Yup couldn't do it either!!

All fat, all the time.
    I'd run one on a dedicated snow bike (if someone gave it to me)

Kinda like a lefty, after a week of riding it, it would look "normal".....lol

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just want to know if it could handle rocky desert downhill bombing runs?

Like the lefty, I enjoy the unique looks and its weight is great!

Jammin' Econo
    They are very cool, for sure. And I actually like the funky, 'function over form' looks. I can only hope it will be trickle-down technology and that someday there will be one for half that price.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    I would consider it if and when my carbon rigid goes south (hopefully the price will drop by then too!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for. Super cool! And, no, probably not the tool for gnar desert DH runs.

mtbr member
    How is this fork for lateral stiffness? Do you notice a difference in steering vs. a conventional fork like the Bluto?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How is this fork for lateral stiffness? Do you notice a difference in steering vs. a conventional fork like the Bluto?
    I don't notice a difference from Bluto.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't notice a difference from Bluto.
    But do you a notice a difference in comparison to a "real fork", like a Pike?

Do you think a heavy duty version would handle tandem work, 340#?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    But do you a notice a difference in comparison to a "real fork", like a Pike?

Do you think a heavy duty version would handle tandem work, 340#?
    I ride fatbikes on soft surfaces. I ride Pike on hard surfaces. No comparison between the riding styles, nor bikes ridden on each. Apples and watermelons.

No idea how to the answer the tandem question. Does an HD version even exist?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    HD = Regular (> 175#)

I sent them an email.

My buddy has one on his 29er race bike, he liked it once he had the HA correct.

I wonder about the torsionally rigidity, though if it's better than the Bluto that is something...

I ride fatbikes on soft surfaces. I ride Pike on hard surfaces. No comparison between the riding styles, nor bikes ridden on each. Apples and watermelons.

No idea how to the answer the tandem question. Does an HD version even exist?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like an XC fork in the extreme. Something for your rigid race bike when you need a bit of front end squish. No comparison at all to the current crop of suspension forks.

But the fatbike applications for traditional users (snow, touring, pedaling) are enticing. Very clever of these guys to include a wide fork in the line up. I predict it will do well.

mtbr member
    Is there any damping with the lauf fork?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Is there any damping with the lauf fork?
    Only what is inherent to the material (like elastomer), which means it will only work in a finite speed range or optimally at one speed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK here's my take. I bought a Lauf fork second hand at half price and mounted it on my carbon 29er race bike. Total weight 1x10 was 17 1/2 pounds ! I was in heaven, I thought. Rode it hard for about 2 months. Hills were a treat but bumpy downhills and hard jagged turns were another matter. Remember first there is only 2 inches of travel when most of us are used to 4. The fork does not feel like it is bottoming and the bounce is limited. However if you put the forks between your legs and twist you will see the wheel drastically bend off line. After a few near death like moments I switched back to my RS Reba and although 1 1/4 pounds heavier it felt like a new bike with much more control and confidence. Will it work for my carbon Beargrease? Probably but I will not invest almost 1K to find out if I like it. Sorry Lauf but not a high performance item.

Quote Originally Posted by Leebherron View Post
    if you put the forks between your legs and twist you will see the wheel drastically bend off line.
    I've found that, generally, when riding, if the fork is suddenly between my legs I've made a significant mistake and am about to be on the ground. Usually bleeding.

If I can keep the fork out in front of me, I'm usually fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Mike, good thing I was between sips of coffee there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rode it at InterBike Dirt Demo. It was on a large Pivot Les Fat. They make two forks. One or rider under 80KG (or there about) and one for above. Not sure what they called the different forks. I rode the 80KG above fork and I'm about 85KG. I know it was working. I did feel the bob out of the saddle. It is hard to say how well it worked. This is desert and rocky where I rode it. It does not perform like a Bluto. Less travel and much more harsh. I wish I would have ridden it back to back with a rigid fork. I know it was taking the edge off. I really wondered if I needed it for the snow riding that I do. I felt not, but everyone is different. Minimal weight penalty and a little cush. It does take the edge of from a rigid SS that I own/ride with a 29+ Knard on the front and a BS Faith Truss fork. I know it's hard to test them out prior to buying and I know they are expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone find a deal? Price is the only thing keeping me from given one a try.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I suspect it may be the answer for rigid riders who get fed up of frozen postholed tracks. Someone coming from a suspension fork is simply going to feel its deficiencies.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I suspect it may be the answer for rigid riders who get fed up of frozen postholed tracks. Someone coming from a suspension fork is simply going to feel its strengths.
    Fixed.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is a lauf carbonara for sale on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by DBLUNG View Post
    Anyone find a deal? Price is the only thing keeping me from given one a try.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Interesting take..I see where you are coming from, but I dont find the design any less offensive than most full suspension bikes. Not a natural look, agreed
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    $850 is kinda steep for a used fork and no warranty.

Anyone know the widest tire that'll fit on the 29er Lauf?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    There is a lauf carbonara for sale on ebay.

sluice box
    ^^^^^not much more than 2.3 based on what I've seen.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a shame, it'd make a nice plus sized fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    ^^^^^not much more than 2.3 based on what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's a shame, it'd make a nice plus sized fork.
    The carbonara will fit up to a 3" on 29 wheel. At least that's what the website says.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    The carbonara will fit up to a 3" on 29 wheel. At least that's what the website says.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    The carbonara will easily fit a 29 x 4", maybe even 29 x 4.8", not that such a beast exists. Yet...

I ran the new Vee 26 x 5.05" on a 90mm rim in the Carbonara, tubeless. 5mm of clearance on each side seemed like plenty to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Firstly, anyone basing your MTB buying decisions on how a thing looks in a picture on the internet, you need to take a long hard look at yourself - then give yourself a slap.

I've had a Lauf for around three months now.
    One week of that was holiday in Spain with uplift. That is like a couple of months riding condensed down. The riding out there is relentlessly rocky, loose, steep, switchbacky and fast.
    Here's a video from last year which gives a good idea of the type of riding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAsqjHZb00

As I weigh 230+ lbs, stiffnes was a concern before I bought the fork, having read reports of the 29er version being flexy. The Carbonara is solid though, no odd steering characteristics at all.
    What I wanted was something to take the edge off big hits when riding downhill at speed, rather than ironing out the small bumps. The Lauf does both well. It's quite different to a tele fork as you'd expect. The best way I could describe it is feeling like I've taken off my 4.8 tyre and replaced it with a huge volume 8" tyre. It just soaks up much more.

Something I love about riding a rigid fatbike on steep rocky tech terrain is the static angles and not having to fight the suspension squishing around and steepening the HA. The 60mm travel of the Lauf is just enough on a fatbike. It still feels quite close to a rigid.

One slight concern for rocky riding is the amount of chips I'm picking up on the bottom of the legs. Some rubber boots, like the ones some carbon cranks have, would be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What about rider weight? 75kg rider should select regular or light? My bike is 15kg weight

mtbr member
    Lauf w/ BUD/100mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-2016-02-04-20.19.14.jpg  

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-_1040617a.jpg  

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-_1040621a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The carbonara will easily fit a 29 x 4", maybe even 29 x 4.8", not that such a beast exists. Yet...

I ran the new Vee 26 x 5.05" on a 90mm rim in the Carbonara, tubeless. 5mm of clearance on each side seemed like plenty to me.
    Carbonara with vee 2xl on 90mm, have you ridden it for long? Was that with stretched tires, or brand new ones? Where those hookless rims?

You mention that 105mm rims +vee 2xl rubs the Carbonara, what would you say is the max rim that would enable 2xl tires in carbonara without rubbing?

By the sound of it 90mm rims might be the sweet spot since 5mm sounds like the minimum clearance. (space for tire stretch, slight wobble, etc)?

mtbr member
    For a motorcyclist the look is reminiscent of old school leading link suspension and retro. Might be the ticket for my beach riding where the bumps are somewhat minor (footprints, hoof prints, wheel ruts, small rocks).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
    Carbonara with vee 2xl on 90mm, have you ridden it for long? Was that with stretched tires, or brand new ones? Where those hookless rims?

You mention that 105mm rims +vee 2xl rubs the Carbonara, what would you say is the max rim that would enable 2xl tires in carbonara without rubbing?

By the sound of it 90mm rims might be the sweet spot since 5mm sounds like the minimum clearance. (space for tire stretch, slight wobble, etc)?
    Stretched tires, tubeless, on hookless 90mm rims.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the 2XL on a rim wider than 90mm in the Lauf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Stretched tires, tubeless, on hookless 90mm rims.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the 2XL on a rim wider than 90mm in the Lauf.
    Thanks, great reply.

I've been drooling over the Carbonara for a year and a half now, 2xl support and price has been the only two things holding me back.
    Hearing that 2xl on 90mm rims is OK makes the fork even more appealing. I just wish lauf would have made it just a tiny bit wider..

sluice box
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf? I'm renewing the old Fatback and looking to see if I can keep my bb7s. I've heard reports of them not working from the UK.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    its working for me, but you need larger 183mm disc

sluice box
    thanks I just unboxed mine and need to relace my wheel.
    ptarmigan hardcore

The Dog.
    thanks I just unboxed mine and need to relace my wheel.
    Not sure what type of hub you have, but there are solutions out there to avoid this. "MTBtools" on ebay makes a generic 135 to 150 hub spacer kit along with a 7.5mm thick aluminum rotor spacer. If you have a salsa hub, you can get new end caps that are symmetrically 7.5mm wider as well, but not through Salsa. They are machined by Hauck bicycles in Colorado. He is also on ebay as well.

sluice box
    Hauck would not make the end caps needed for the 135mm Hadley hub. So I went Onyx, the hub weighs almost as much as the fork. I also have a Paul Fhub I'm building up to replace my 616.
    ptarmigan hardcore

The Dog.
    Does anybody else have some small mold pieces of carbon rattling around in the fork "lowers"? I haven't mounted it on the bike yet, and I honestly doubt I'll be able to hear them. Just wondering, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    picture?

sluice box
    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-20160425_010843small.jpg

No rattling in mine fork.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    there is no rattling on mine fork

The Dog.
    In practice, I cannot hear the rattling. What I can hear, however, is the springs. I am getting a lot of snap, crackle, pop sounds with compression and release. Lauf is telling me this is normal, and I can replicate it with both sides.

Anyone else hearing little crackles with compression/release?

mtbr member
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf?
    What is the right adapter for Ø 200 mm disc? I have BB7s too and Carbonara is ordered.

Edit: Got answer from Lauf:
    just the standard 160to180mm post mount spacer bridge
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Use 183 mm disc without adapter

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by pro_ohp View Post
    Use 183 mm disc without adapter
    that is what I ended up doing.

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-20160712_204510small.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Not sure if this has been asked here before. I run a Farley 5 2016 with rigid fork (yep I know about the 135mm hub rather than 150mm). I'm considering getting a Lauf Carbonara (probably need to sell a bike to fund it!) and wondering if anyone can tell me will it work with a 27.5 wheel and 4" tyre? Lauf list it on their site for 26" and 29" wheels. I was thinking about getting some 27.5 carbon wheels in the future and would like to swap between. I know I will need to rebuild the Mulefut front wheel round a 150mm hub just to fit the Carbonara. Cheers!

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked here before. I run a Farley 5 2016 with rigid fork (yep I know about the 135mm hub rather than 150mm). I'm considering getting a Lauf Carbonara (probably need to sell a bike to fund it!) and wondering if anyone can tell me will it work with a 27.5 wheel and 4" tyre? Lauf list it on their site for 26" and 29" wheels. I was thinking about getting some 27.5 carbon wheels in the future and would like to swap between. I know I will need to rebuild the Mulefut front wheel round a 150mm hub just to fit the Carbonara. Cheers!
    I would say yes to the 27.5x4 but I have no real life data. MikeSea no relation to TommySea fit the Vee 2xl on an 80mm wheel but the 2xl on a 105mm was too big.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    I would say yes to the 27.5x4 but I have no real life data.
    Definitely yes.

I don't know why mikesee didn't get 2XL fit on 105 mm rim, overall width is not much wider on 105 mm than on 90 mm rim. But let's try next week with 100 mm Clownshoe and 2XL. There should be 6 mm space at both sides, if I've got right information (Lauf 142 mm, 2XL measured 130 mm).

Pic from side before:

Should fit with just enough marginal, 5.1135 is just the measured width of my 2XL (tubeless on Clownshoe).
    Fatter is better

sluice box
    snip..

bump

I only have had D5 and a Bud on 90s for personal experience.
    PM him maybe he has pictures.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Definitely yes.

I don't know why mikesee didn't get 2XL fit on 105 mm rim, overall width is not much wider on 105 mm than on 90 mm rim. But let's try next week with 100 mm Clownshoe and 2XL. There should be 6 mm space at both sides, if I've got right information (Lauf 142 mm, 2XL measured 130 mm).

Pic from side before:

Should fit with just enough marginal, 5.1135 is just the measured width of my 2XL (tubeless on Clownshoe).
    But what about lateral flex? I've heard the Carbonara flexes quite a bit, and if there's just a little bit of movement it looks like it'll rub.

I need the ability to run 2xl on 90mm (the only reason I haven't purchased it yet along with the price), and I've heard mikesee say it's what he'd consider the limit. Curious if even that allows for enough flex though..

It's width that's the issue though, so to the op: 31'5" diameter clears fine, and 5" will clear fine, so anything in between will work. (meaning all current 27+ and 29 combos)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a Lauf, switch between the Lauf and a newly purchased Wren 110 mm suspension fork.

The Lauf requires a slightly different approach for riding downhill.
    I tend to not have a death grip on the bars, and put my weight a little further back.
    Then let the fork do its thing, can get a bit busy on washboard terrain or successive chatter at speed.

I like it, no fuss, just gets on with it, more than suitable for 90% of the trail riding.

Climbs really well as expected.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Anyone else think "Lauf out Loud" when they read?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    For an undampened spring it looks like some kind of diabolical medical device.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
    But what about lateral flex? I've heard the Carbonara flexes quite a bit, and if there's just a little bit of movement it looks like it'll rub.
    Got the fork. Tried to fit my 2XL on ClownShoe (100 mm) and yes, it fits. About 5 mm free space at both sides.

The outside diameter is at highest limit, there is about 53 mm between the tire and fork (unloaded):

And about same cap between the axle housing and bump stop:

Tried few kilometers, it felt nice, like between rigid and suspension fork. No rubbing issues.
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Definitely yes.

Pic from side before:

thanks chaps. I will put it on the wish list. Bizarrely my rigid bikes now outnumber my suspension bikes 3 to 1 and I'm digging it :-)

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ordered a Lauf Fork. The TR 29 in this case. I'm going to use it on the gravel bike I am building and, when the time comes (either next year or in 2018), I'm going to use it on my second Tour Divide Attempt.

I scratched this year. I rode a fully rigid bike with a Niner fork and while the bike performed very well, the course, while not technical at all, had a lot of bumps and washboard sections that the Lauf will probably smooth out pretty well without a big weight penalty or any maintenance.

So I'm not buying it to get big air or bomb down some New England rock garden. It's like an adjunct to a rigid fork. Just enough suspension to make the ride comfortable. I tried one on about a mile of Tour Divide-like road and I really liked it. And it's going to rock on my Gravel bike which is actually a Lynskey MT 29 with 1.8 inch tires and flat handlebars.

My girlfriend and I went on a guided mountain bike vacation on the island of Crete a year ago. The owner of the tour company had a Carbonara fork on his fat bike. Most of the riding was dirt and gravel roads and he seemed to really like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm ordering one for the Sycip i'm having built, but man these guys were certainly ***** to me at sea otter. Without having gone on their site at this point to know specs or anything, i asked them if it would keep within their warranty to run this on my fat bike which is Bionx equipped. (just didnt want to be turned down if i did ever have an issue) Mind you i had enough cash on me, that had he said yes, i would have bought it from him right then and there. He just did a quick chuckle and says "No, not really designed for that." I get home only to find that these guys boast on their website how strong the damn thing is by lifting up a 2 and a half ton Land Rover using a crane a few straps and their fork. So basically expect a good product, but a bunch of stuck up a-holes if you ever need customer service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Not really an e bike product

This is the weight weenie extraordinaire suspension system.

Just trying to wrap my head around the idea of an Uber ultra light fork combined with a heavy electric bike.

My wife wants one, because it is the least amount of weight for the help of suspension. It makes sense for her, she is within a pound or 2 of her optimum weight and in top tier shape. Chasing ounces on a product like this makes sense.

Maybe lauf doesn't mind skipping the e bike market.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_sub View Post
    I'm ordering one for the Sycip i'm having built, but man these guys were certainly ***** to me at sea otter. Without having gone on their site at this point to know specs or anything, i asked them if it would keep within their warranty to run this on my fat bike which is Bionx equipped. (just didnt want to be turned down if i did ever have an issue) Mind you i had enough cash on me, that had he said yes, i would have bought it from him right then and there. He just did a quick chuckle and says "No, not really designed for that." I get home only to find that these guys boast on their website how strong the damn thing is by lifting up a 2 and a half ton Land Rover using a crane a few straps and their fork. So basically expect a good product, but a bunch of stuck up a-holes if you ever need customer service.

You're way out of line here, so much so that you might consider pointing the 'stuck up a-hole' finger at yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Got the fork. Tried to fit my 2XL on ClownShoe (100 mm) and yes, it fits. About 5 mm free space at both sides.
    Tried few kilometers, it felt nice, like between rigid and suspension fork. No rubbing issues.
    Thank you so much for the details and pictures.
    It looks fantastic and I'm itching to purchase the Carbonara..

Would you mind to put some light colored tape on the fork opposite the tire knobs and go for a "hard" ride, preferably several miles, on those 2xl's? Male sure you do some sharp turns and try some drops..?
    If there are no marks on the tape then it should be perfectly safe to ride it with 2xl :-)

mtbr member
    ^ Yes, more kilometers driven now and yes, there is a little signs that the tire is touched to the fork. I can also twist the tire against something and it flex just so much that it touch. But I'm not concern, ordered a piece of some helicopter tape, it is enough protect I need. There goes some little rocks and cones between the fork, so it'll protect those impacts too.
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    How about bigger hits? Higher speeds on rocky terrain? I'm very, very interested of carbonara. I have 80mm Bluto now, do i lose something with Carbonara? Or do i get something with it?

80mm Bluto is enough for my riding style, but i ride winter also. And Carbonara is maintenance free.
    Life, Love & The Blues. And Fatbiking.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by brilleaux View Post
    How about bigger hits? Higher speeds on rocky terrain? I'm very, very interested of carbonara. I have 80mm Bluto now, do i lose something with Carbonara? Or do i get something with it?

80mm Bluto is enough for my riding style, but i ride winter also. And Carbonara is maintenance free.
    You should view the Lauf as more of a ridged fork and not a replacement to a dampened suspension fork. Bigger hits and high speed rock gardens. Sure the Lauf marketing team shows drops and such. Real world use is taking the edge off re-frozen groomers that have been post-holed by moose and dog walkers, or gravel fire roads with pot holes and some light washboard. Think of it as a Thudbuster post. A Thudbuster seat post will not replace a full suspension bike but it will make long day in the saddle a little better. And Thudbusters are not for everyone.

If you like the Bluto there is no need to switch to the Lauf it will disappoint. Or I the Bluto is overkill the Lauf may be what you are looking for. If you are going from a ridged fork and wand just a little bit of give, nothing is better than the Lauf.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf? I'm renewing the old Fatback and looking to see if I can keep my bb7s. I've heard reports of them not working from the UK.
    I have. Works fine with Ø200 mm disc, maybe not possible with Ø180 mm.
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I read one of the responses claiming that the fork wasn't suitable for a heavier ebike.

Well I have ridden the Lauf Carbonara on my e fat bike quite a bit.

The 100mm Bluto that came as standard was quite a disappointment.

The Lauf is in many ways a better fork for most of the riding. Small trail chatter is very good, and so long as there is no repetitive chatter the fork works very well.

I also have a Wren fork, which works better on the rockier trails , and at a faster speed does address the rebound issue.

However, the Lauf still impresses me.

sluice box
    that is what I ended up doing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160712_204510small.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	1083016
    Laskimasa yup got it.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    FYI, good writeup from Christophe Noel over on Expo about his experiences with the Lauf on his Beargrease:

Long Term Wrap Up: Salsa Beargrease with Lauf Carbonara Fork | Expedition Portal

mtbr member
    I have. Works fine with Ø200 mm disc, maybe not possible with Ø180 mm.
    I sold the Lefty and picked up a Carbonara ($748 shipped, from eBay, BTW). You are correct in that a 180mm disc with the BB7 mounted direct to post is a no-go. The caliper pivot will hit the fork body. To each his own, but things rubbing back and forth on bare carbon is not my cup of tea. I ended up putting 2 stainless M6 washers between the adjuster plates and the post. This allowed the pivot to clear the fork leg, but is a temp fix only, as the pad does not make 100% contact. I will either need to keep the washers and go to a 183 or 185mm rotor, or ditch the washers, use a traditional 160-180 spacer and go with a 200mm disc, which is probably overkill, but, they can be had for the same price as a 183, sooooo... Here are a few pics for reference. BTW, I love the feel of the Lauf for the kind of riding I do (I do not slay chunk). You really don't notice it as it goes about its business of erasing trail chatter. The Lefty was wonderfully capable, but for my style, was too much fork for me.

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0570.jpg

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0571.jpg

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0572.jpg

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0573.jpg

Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0574.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Seems like a pretty big screw up to have a fork that will not properly fit a 180 rotor and caliper. Do you think that this is exclusive to the bb7 caliper?

mtbr member
    ^ Yep, because BB7 is a cable version, needs space because of the moving arm on it. Common hydraulic calibers fit directly without issues.
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Seems like a pretty big screw up to have a fork that will not properly fit a 180 rotor and caliper. Do you think that this is exclusive to the bb7 caliper?
    Yes, BB7s are fat bastards. I have seen SRAM Guides that fit just fine with no mods. I'm sure other hydros will fit as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    FYI, good writeup from Christophe Noel over on Expo about his experiences with the Lauf on his Beargrease:

Long Term Wrap Up: Salsa Beargrease with Lauf Carbonara Fork | Expedition Portal
    haha, Christophe! I'll have to look him up the next time I'm back in P-town. Did many rides with him

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Alright, question from the N00B then.
    I am putting together a steel hard tail 29+ SS. It's my one bike to ride anything in Colorado. My riding style is not going to have me hucking 4' drops, more trail and hit the technical stuff I 'think' I can get over on the downhill.

I was trying to find something light in the 120 squish range (I think the sweet spot for 29+?) and I think this might just fit the bill. I am planning on tires in the 3" - 3.2x size. I am 47, so I don't enjoy a thorough beating when I ride...

Think this'd be a good fit?

Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    Alright, question from the N00B then.
    I am putting together a steel hard tail 29+ SS. It's my one bike to ride anything in Colorado. My riding style is not going to have me hucking 4' drops, more trail and hit the technical stuff I 'think' I can get over on the downhill.

I was trying to find something light in the 120 squish range (I think the sweet spot for 29+?) and I think this might just fit the bill. I am planning on tires in the 3" - 3.2x size. I am 47, so I don't enjoy a thorough beating when I ride...

Think this'd be a good fit?
    If you lived somewhere flatter, with lots of gravel and/or buff trail, then yes.

Living where you do, and being as "old" as you are, there's no replacement for real suspension. Even with big squishy 29+ tires. Unless all you ride is Buff Creek. And even then...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you lived somewhere flatter, with lots of gravel and/or buff trail, then yes.

Living where you do, and being as "old" as you are, there's no replacement for real suspension. Even with big squishy 29+ tires. Unless all you ride is Buff Creek. And even then...
    Thanks mikesee .. I'll move on then.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Lauf fits a 180 rotor direct mount with a SRAM Guide, I set mine up last night with no issues.

It's more likely that the BB7 is the problem, a couple washers is not an uncommon practice... they call them caliper spacers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Lauf fits a 180 rotor direct mount with a SRAM Guide, I set mine up last night with no issues.

It's more likely that the BB7 is the problem, a couple washers is not an uncommon practice... they call them caliper spacers
    Yep! Using 180mm rotor with SRAM Guide RS and no adapter is needed.
    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So this is my first Lauf, I have experience on rigid fat and suspension fork fat.

How I woudl describe the Lauf:

Imagine the difference you feel when you drop the air pressure on your fat tires. Reducing tire pressure helps with shock absorption, but it tends to compromise handling, by causing tire rolling/slop.

The difference with the Lauf is that the additional shock absorption you get from the Lauf does not compromise handling like a underinflated tire, so you get absorption AND you get stability.

It's like a thudbuster, but for the entire front end of the bike.

So far I have not found it to be all that sloppy, but it certainly is light!

I'm borrowing a freind's Lauf Carbonar light, running 29+, 60mm stem, large Beargrease, I'm 200#. At this point I would not getting the Lauf Carbonara stiff. Sag, if there is such a thing with the Carbonara is 25-30% and I cannot compress the travel at a standstill by more than 60-70%.

I'll be riding hard tonight, some jumping and small drops, but if I don't have a signfiicant number of bottoming outs, I'll stick with the lighter weight springs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, that was an interesting ride!

First thing that comes to mind: what a bouncy rear end!

The bounce is very obvious on level, well graded trail, bad enough that I'm bouncing me off the seat as I pedal.

So I dropped my tire pressure substantially, ~10-12psi on Surly 29 x 3 Dirt Wizards, the bounce was better, but still significant.

I've ridden 29 rigid, geared, with and without sudpension, and I've never had rear end bounce like this on a narrower tire. On a 4-5" tire I've had some bounce, but dropping pressure usually settled things down.

I'm trying to blame it on the cf Beargrease frame, but I don't think a little cf fdrame stiffness would cause so much bounce

I did get the fork to bottom out off a ledge, it made this audible "clack", which caused me to get concerned, so I checked my wheel.

So I have pulled off the Lauf and installed the factory rigid fork, a quick ride around the yard and the bounce appears to have lessened, but I'll need a real ride to know for sure.

Anyone else have this experience? All I can figure is either I have become so used to having rear suspension that I've become a "little girl", the Beargrease frame is so stiff that it transmits every movement, or I'm getting feedback from the fork. Either way, something has to change cuz the bounce is not rideable.

Edit: Just did some riding with rigid, 29+ and 26 x 4, also spent some time on my buddies hard tail 29er... and in my my not so scientific opinion, the Lauf and the carbon Beargrease do not play well togethet.

Two things were apparent, first, the fork was definitely feeding into the bounce, at certain cadences I couldn't keep my butt on the seat. Second, there was more slop and geometry change in the fork action than I suspected, making the bike far less precise when ridden hard jnto turns.

It's a cool concept, but it's not that much softer riding than a carbon fork, esp when riding fat, and the cost, combined with less precise steering is no bueno.

I'd take rigid over the Lauf, but if I really needed suspension then I'd get a real fork.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 11-04-2016 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thought I should chime in with my quick report.

I've never ridden a Bluto so I cannot compare but I have ridden just about every suspension fork and suspension stem (the dream of the 90s is alive...).

I put one on my Borealis Yampa. Got it used--retail is pretty darn high.

I mainly ride my Fatbike on sandy and baby-head rocky beaches--some rides being 4+ hours. i really wanted the low maintenance and low corrosive risk of the Lauf.

It was a revelation how great the thing road on the first ride. The rocky beach smoothed out considerably. It's so great I find myself riding it all the time now, especially on trails.

It is definitely not as stiff as the rigid fork or my Lefty struts. But I'm so thrilled with it I'm considering a Grit for my cross bike.

And while I get some don't like the looks-I think it's cool looking.

mtbr member
    Well, that was an interesting ride!

First thing that comes to mind: what a bouncy rear end!

The bounce is very obvious on level, well graded trail, bad enough that I'm bouncing me off the seat as I pedal.

So I dropped my tire pressure substantially, ~10-12psi on Surly 29 x 3 Dirt Wizards, the bounce was better, but still significant.

I've ridden 29 rigid, geared, with and without sudpension, and I've never had rear end bounce like this on a narrower tire. On a 4-5" tire I've had some bounce, but dropping pressure usually settled things down.

I'm trying to blame it on the cf Beargrease frame, but I don't think a little cf fdrame stiffness would cause so much bounce

I did get the fork to bottom out off a ledge, it made this audible "clack", which caused me to get concerned, so I checked my wheel.

So I have pulled off the Lauf and installed the factory rigid fork, a quick ride around the yard and the bounce appears to have lessened, but I'll need a real ride to know for sure.

Anyone else have this experience? All I can figure is either I have become so used to having rear suspension that I've become a "little girl", the Beargrease frame is so stiff that it transmits every movement, or I'm getting feedback from the fork. Either way, something has to change cuz the bounce is not rideable.

Edit: Just did some riding with rigid, 29+ and 26 x 4, also spent some time on my buddies hard tail 29er... and in my my not so scientific opinion, the Lauf and the carbon Beargrease do not play well togethet.

Two things were apparent, first, the fork was definitely feeding into the bounce, at certain cadences I couldn't keep my butt on the seat. Second, there was more slop and geometry change in the fork action than I suspected, making the bike far less precise when ridden hard jnto turns.

It's a cool concept, but it's not that much softer riding than a carbon fork, esp when riding fat, and the cost, combined with less precise steering is no bueno.

I'd take rigid over the Lauf, but if I really needed suspension then I'd get a real fork.
    I'be not had a chance to try a Lauf on my BG, but very interested. I would hope you would have a better ride experience with the correct springs. At 200lbs you are outside of the light spring range unless I missed something. If I can my Bluto with not enough air it would handle like crap too.

When I first went from FS to rigid fatbike I was getting bounced off he seat way too much. I was really disappointed with all the pedal strikes and being bucked off. I stuck with it and naturally adjusted. I found myself standing more and keeping the saddle unweighted. I realized FS had made me lazy and I could no longer just sit and put down power thru all the obstacles.

It's definitely not for everyone but the precise steering, light frontend, and simplicity has really grown on me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Two weeks in. I need more rides but so far it works great on certain trails and not so much on others. Feels like it is trying to catch up sometimes. Oddly enough it work fine on chunky technical stuff. I'm switch to a 2.4 up front and experimenting with tire pressure.

Specialized
    I'm in the middle of sanding mine down (got it down to 921grams so far) and as I'm sanding it I can hear small clicks coming from the blades . I'm glad I saw this post as I was getting worried .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Will xt brakes with 203 rotors/ adapter from Bluto work with Lauf?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=karimian5;12934436]I'm in the middle of sanding mine down (got it down to 921grams so far) and as I'm sanding it I can hear small clicks coming from the blades . I'm glad I saw this post as I was getting worried .[/QUOTE

I'm worried for you, my friend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I checked sag and looked at how it was responding to input, and I would not say that the light springs were too light, though I did bottom it off a jump. If I bought one, I'd go with heavy springs.

The biggest thing that stands out in my mind is that the Lauf is not a a suspension fork, so if you're expecting suspension, then the Lauf is not for you. It does provide some give, but it's not even as signfincat as riding a Bluto 80mm fork.

I hear what you're saying about being used to one system, then moving to another, but the reality is that if I want to ride hard, real suspension is the only answer or I will get beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I'be not had a chance to try a Lauf on my BG, but very interested. I would hope you would have a better ride experience with the correct springs. At 200lbs you are outside of the light spring range unless I missed something. If I can my Bluto with not enough air it would handle like crap too.

When I first went from FS to rigid fatbike I was getting bounced off he seat way too much. I was really disappointed with all the pedal strikes and being bucked off. I stuck with it and naturally adjusted. I found myself standing more and keeping the saddle unweighted. I realized FS had made me lazy and I could no longer just sit and put down power thru all the obstacles.

It's definitely not for everyone but the precise steering, light frontend, and simplicity has really grown on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast