Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 124
  1. #51
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Hauck would not make the end caps needed for the 135mm Hadley hub. So I went Onyx, the hub weighs almost as much as the fork. I also have a Paul Fhub I'm building up to replace my 616.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  2. #52
    The Dog.
    Reputation: Dogdude222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    961
    Does anybody else have some small mold pieces of carbon rattling around in the fork "lowers"? I haven't mounted it on the bike yet, and I honestly doubt I'll be able to hear them. Just wondering, though.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    picture?

  4. #54
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-20160425_010843small.jpg

    No rattling in mine fork.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    there is no rattling on mine fork

  6. #56
    The Dog.
    Reputation: Dogdude222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    961
    In practice, I cannot hear the rattling. What I can hear, however, is the springs. I am getting a lot of snap, crackle, pop sounds with compression and release. Lauf is telling me this is normal, and I can replicate it with both sides.

    Anyone else hearing little crackles with compression/release?

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf?
    What is the right adapter for Ø 200 mm disc? I have BB7s too and Carbonara is ordered.

    Edit: Got answer from Lauf:
    just the standard 160to180mm post mount spacer bridge
    Fatter is better

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Use 183 mm disc without adapter

  9. #59
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by pro_ohp View Post
    Use 183 mm disc without adapter
    that is what I ended up doing.

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-20160712_204510small.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cr3anmachin3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    196
    Not sure if this has been asked here before. I run a Farley 5 2016 with rigid fork (yep I know about the 135mm hub rather than 150mm). I'm considering getting a Lauf Carbonara (probably need to sell a bike to fund it!) and wondering if anyone can tell me will it work with a 27.5 wheel and 4" tyre? Lauf list it on their site for 26" and 29" wheels. I was thinking about getting some 27.5 carbon wheels in the future and would like to swap between. I know I will need to rebuild the Mulefut front wheel round a 150mm hub just to fit the Carbonara. Cheers!


    2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

  11. #61
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked here before. I run a Farley 5 2016 with rigid fork (yep I know about the 135mm hub rather than 150mm). I'm considering getting a Lauf Carbonara (probably need to sell a bike to fund it!) and wondering if anyone can tell me will it work with a 27.5 wheel and 4" tyre? Lauf list it on their site for 26" and 29" wheels. I was thinking about getting some 27.5 carbon wheels in the future and would like to swap between. I know I will need to rebuild the Mulefut front wheel round a 150mm hub just to fit the Carbonara. Cheers!
    I would say yes to the 27.5x4 but I have no real life data. MikeSea no relation to TommySea fit the Vee 2xl on an 80mm wheel but the 2xl on a 105mm was too big.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    I would say yes to the 27.5x4 but I have no real life data.
    Definitely yes.

    I don't know why mikesee didn't get 2XL fit on 105 mm rim, overall width is not much wider on 105 mm than on 90 mm rim. But let's try next week with 100 mm Clownshoe and 2XL. There should be 6 mm space at both sides, if I've got right information (Lauf 142 mm, 2XL measured 130 mm).

    Pic from side before:

    Should fit with just enough marginal, 5.1135 is just the measured width of my 2XL (tubeless on Clownshoe).
    Fatter is better

  13. #63
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    snip..


    My only complaint about the Lauf is that it won't fit the new 5.05" tire on a 105mm rim. Fits any 4.8" on a 100 no problem.
    bump

    I only have had D5 and a Bud on 90s for personal experience.
    PM him maybe he has pictures.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Definitely yes.

    I don't know why mikesee didn't get 2XL fit on 105 mm rim, overall width is not much wider on 105 mm than on 90 mm rim. But let's try next week with 100 mm Clownshoe and 2XL. There should be 6 mm space at both sides, if I've got right information (Lauf 142 mm, 2XL measured 130 mm).

    Pic from side before:

    Should fit with just enough marginal, 5.1135 is just the measured width of my 2XL (tubeless on Clownshoe).
    But what about lateral flex? I've heard the Carbonara flexes quite a bit, and if there's just a little bit of movement it looks like it'll rub.

    I need the ability to run 2xl on 90mm (the only reason I haven't purchased it yet along with the price), and I've heard mikesee say it's what he'd consider the limit. Curious if even that allows for enough flex though..

    It's width that's the issue though, so to the op: 31'5" diameter clears fine, and 5" will clear fine, so anything in between will work. (meaning all current 27+ and 29 combos)

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    51
    I have a Lauf, switch between the Lauf and a newly purchased Wren 110 mm suspension fork.

    The Lauf requires a slightly different approach for riding downhill.
    I tend to not have a death grip on the bars, and put my weight a little further back.
    Then let the fork do its thing, can get a bit busy on washboard terrain or successive chatter at speed.

    I like it, no fuss, just gets on with it, more than suitable for 90% of the trail riding.

    Climbs really well as expected.

  16. #66
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,778
    Anyone else think "Lauf out Loud" when they read?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  17. #67
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,085
    For an undampened spring it looks like some kind of diabolical medical device.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
    But what about lateral flex? I've heard the Carbonara flexes quite a bit, and if there's just a little bit of movement it looks like it'll rub.
    Got the fork. Tried to fit my 2XL on ClownShoe (100 mm) and yes, it fits. About 5 mm free space at both sides.


    The outside diameter is at highest limit, there is about 53 mm between the tire and fork (unloaded):

    And about same cap between the axle housing and bump stop:


    Tried few kilometers, it felt nice, like between rigid and suspension fork. No rubbing issues.
    Fatter is better

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cr3anmachin3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Definitely yes.

    I don't know why mikesee didn't get 2XL fit on 105 mm rim, overall width is not much wider on 105 mm than on 90 mm rim. But let's try next week with 100 mm Clownshoe and 2XL. There should be 6 mm space at both sides, if I've got right information (Lauf 142 mm, 2XL measured 130 mm).

    Pic from side before:

    Should fit with just enough marginal, 5.1135 is just the measured width of my 2XL (tubeless on Clownshoe).
    thanks chaps. I will put it on the wish list. Bizarrely my rigid bikes now outnumber my suspension bikes 3 to 1 and I'm digging it :-)


    2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    964
    I ordered a Lauf Fork. The TR 29 in this case. I'm going to use it on the gravel bike I am building and, when the time comes (either next year or in 2018), I'm going to use it on my second Tour Divide Attempt.

    I scratched this year. I rode a fully rigid bike with a Niner fork and while the bike performed very well, the course, while not technical at all, had a lot of bumps and washboard sections that the Lauf will probably smooth out pretty well without a big weight penalty or any maintenance.

    So I'm not buying it to get big air or bomb down some New England rock garden. It's like an adjunct to a rigid fork. Just enough suspension to make the ride comfortable. I tried one on about a mile of Tour Divide-like road and I really liked it. And it's going to rock on my Gravel bike which is actually a Lynskey MT 29 with 1.8 inch tires and flat handlebars.

    My girlfriend and I went on a guided mountain bike vacation on the island of Crete a year ago. The owner of the tour company had a Carbonara fork on his fat bike. Most of the riding was dirt and gravel roads and he seemed to really like it.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    8
    I'm ordering one for the Sycip i'm having built, but man these guys were certainly ***** to me at sea otter. Without having gone on their site at this point to know specs or anything, i asked them if it would keep within their warranty to run this on my fat bike which is Bionx equipped. (just didnt want to be turned down if i did ever have an issue) Mind you i had enough cash on me, that had he said yes, i would have bought it from him right then and there. He just did a quick chuckle and says "No, not really designed for that." I get home only to find that these guys boast on their website how strong the damn thing is by lifting up a 2 and a half ton Land Rover using a crane a few straps and their fork. So basically expect a good product, but a bunch of stuck up a-holes if you ever need customer service.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9

    Not really an e bike product

    This is the weight weenie extraordinaire suspension system.

    Just trying to wrap my head around the idea of an Uber ultra light fork combined with a heavy electric bike.

    My wife wants one, because it is the least amount of weight for the help of suspension. It makes sense for her, she is within a pound or 2 of her optimum weight and in top tier shape. Chasing ounces on a product like this makes sense.

    Maybe lauf doesn't mind skipping the e bike market.

  23. #73
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,872
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow_sub View Post
    I'm ordering one for the Sycip i'm having built, but man these guys were certainly ***** to me at sea otter. Without having gone on their site at this point to know specs or anything, i asked them if it would keep within their warranty to run this on my fat bike which is Bionx equipped. (just didnt want to be turned down if i did ever have an issue) Mind you i had enough cash on me, that had he said yes, i would have bought it from him right then and there. He just did a quick chuckle and says "No, not really designed for that." I get home only to find that these guys boast on their website how strong the damn thing is by lifting up a 2 and a half ton Land Rover using a crane a few straps and their fork. So basically expect a good product, but a bunch of stuck up a-holes if you ever need customer service.


    You're way out of line here, so much so that you might consider pointing the 'stuck up a-hole' finger at yourself.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Got the fork. Tried to fit my 2XL on ClownShoe (100 mm) and yes, it fits. About 5 mm free space at both sides.
    ..
    Tried few kilometers, it felt nice, like between rigid and suspension fork. No rubbing issues.
    Thank you so much for the details and pictures.
    It looks fantastic and I'm itching to purchase the Carbonara..

    Would you mind to put some light colored tape on the fork opposite the tire knobs and go for a "hard" ride, preferably several miles, on those 2xl's? Male sure you do some sharp turns and try some drops..?
    If there are no marks on the tape then it should be perfectly safe to ride it with 2xl :-)

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    ^ Yes, more kilometers driven now and yes, there is a little signs that the tire is touched to the fork. I can also twist the tire against something and it flex just so much that it touch. But I'm not concern, ordered a piece of some helicopter tape, it is enough protect I need. There goes some little rocks and cones between the fork, so it'll protect those impacts too.
    Fatter is better

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brilleaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    78
    How about bigger hits? Higher speeds on rocky terrain? I'm very, very interested of carbonara. I have 80mm Bluto now, do i lose something with Carbonara? Or do i get something with it?

    80mm Bluto is enough for my riding style, but i ride winter also. And Carbonara is maintenance free.
    Life, Love & The Blues. And Fatbiking.

  27. #77
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by brilleaux View Post
    How about bigger hits? Higher speeds on rocky terrain? I'm very, very interested of carbonara. I have 80mm Bluto now, do i lose something with Carbonara? Or do i get something with it?

    80mm Bluto is enough for my riding style, but i ride winter also. And Carbonara is maintenance free.
    You should view the Lauf as more of a ridged fork and not a replacement to a dampened suspension fork. Bigger hits and high speed rock gardens. Sure the Lauf marketing team shows drops and such. Real world use is taking the edge off re-frozen groomers that have been post-holed by moose and dog walkers, or gravel fire roads with pot holes and some light washboard. Think of it as a Thudbuster post. A Thudbuster seat post will not replace a full suspension bike but it will make long day in the saddle a little better. And Thudbusters are not for everyone.

    If you like the Bluto there is no need to switch to the Lauf it will disappoint. Or I the Bluto is overkill the Lauf may be what you are looking for. If you are going from a ridged fork and wand just a little bit of give, nothing is better than the Lauf.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Anyone have Avid bb7s on their Lauf? I'm renewing the old Fatback and looking to see if I can keep my bb7s. I've heard reports of them not working from the UK.
    I have. Works fine with Ø200 mm disc, maybe not possible with Ø180 mm.
    Fatter is better

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    51
    I read one of the responses claiming that the fork wasn't suitable for a heavier ebike.

    Well I have ridden the Lauf Carbonara on my e fat bike quite a bit.

    The 100mm Bluto that came as standard was quite a disappointment.

    The Lauf is in many ways a better fork for most of the riding. Small trail chatter is very good, and so long as there is no repetitive chatter the fork works very well.

    I also have a Wren fork, which works better on the rockier trails , and at a faster speed does address the rebound issue.

    However, the Lauf still impresses me.

  30. #80
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    that is what I ended up doing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160712_204510small.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	1083016
    Laskimasa yup got it.
    ptarmigan hardcore

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: baltobrewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    165
    FYI, good writeup from Christophe Noel over on Expo about his experiences with the Lauf on his Beargrease:

    Long Term Wrap Up: Salsa Beargrease with Lauf Carbonara Fork | Expedition Portal

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: baltobrewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    I have. Works fine with Ø200 mm disc, maybe not possible with Ø180 mm.
    I sold the Lefty and picked up a Carbonara ($748 shipped, from eBay, BTW). You are correct in that a 180mm disc with the BB7 mounted direct to post is a no-go. The caliper pivot will hit the fork body. To each his own, but things rubbing back and forth on bare carbon is not my cup of tea. I ended up putting 2 stainless M6 washers between the adjuster plates and the post. This allowed the pivot to clear the fork leg, but is a temp fix only, as the pad does not make 100% contact. I will either need to keep the washers and go to a 183 or 185mm rotor, or ditch the washers, use a traditional 160-180 spacer and go with a 200mm disc, which is probably overkill, but, they can be had for the same price as a 183, sooooo... Here are a few pics for reference. BTW, I love the feel of the Lauf for the kind of riding I do (I do not slay chunk). You really don't notice it as it goes about its business of erasing trail chatter. The Lefty was wonderfully capable, but for my style, was too much fork for me.

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0570.jpg

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0571.jpg

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0572.jpg

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0573.jpg

    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-img_0574.jpg

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    516
    Seems like a pretty big screw up to have a fork that will not properly fit a 180 rotor and caliper. Do you think that this is exclusive to the bb7 caliper?

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    ^ Yep, because BB7 is a cable version, needs space because of the moving arm on it. Common hydraulic calibers fit directly without issues.
    Fatter is better

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: baltobrewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Seems like a pretty big screw up to have a fork that will not properly fit a 180 rotor and caliper. Do you think that this is exclusive to the bb7 caliper?
    Yes, BB7s are fat bastards. I have seen SRAM Guides that fit just fine with no mods. I'm sure other hydros will fit as well.

  36. #86
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    FYI, good writeup from Christophe Noel over on Expo about his experiences with the Lauf on his Beargrease:

    Long Term Wrap Up: Salsa Beargrease with Lauf Carbonara Fork | Expedition Portal
    haha, Christophe! I'll have to look him up the next time I'm back in P-town. Did many rides with him
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    140
    Alright, question from the N00B then.
    I am putting together a steel hard tail 29+ SS. It's my one bike to ride anything in Colorado. My riding style is not going to have me hucking 4' drops, more trail and hit the technical stuff I 'think' I can get over on the downhill.

    I was trying to find something light in the 120 squish range (I think the sweet spot for 29+?) and I think this might just fit the bill. I am planning on tires in the 3" - 3.2x size. I am 47, so I don't enjoy a thorough beating when I ride...

    Think this'd be a good fit?

  38. #88
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,872
    Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    Alright, question from the N00B then.
    I am putting together a steel hard tail 29+ SS. It's my one bike to ride anything in Colorado. My riding style is not going to have me hucking 4' drops, more trail and hit the technical stuff I 'think' I can get over on the downhill.

    I was trying to find something light in the 120 squish range (I think the sweet spot for 29+?) and I think this might just fit the bill. I am planning on tires in the 3" - 3.2x size. I am 47, so I don't enjoy a thorough beating when I ride...

    Think this'd be a good fit?
    If you lived somewhere flatter, with lots of gravel and/or buff trail, then yes.

    Living where you do, and being as "old" as you are, there's no replacement for real suspension. Even with big squishy 29+ tires. Unless all you ride is Buff Creek. And even then...

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If you lived somewhere flatter, with lots of gravel and/or buff trail, then yes.

    Living where you do, and being as "old" as you are, there's no replacement for real suspension. Even with big squishy 29+ tires. Unless all you ride is Buff Creek. And even then...
    Thanks mikesee .. I'll move on then.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    The Lauf fits a 180 rotor direct mount with a SRAM Guide, I set mine up last night with no issues.

    It's more likely that the BB7 is the problem, a couple washers is not an uncommon practice... they call them caliper spacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Seems like a pretty big screw up to have a fork that will not properly fit a 180 rotor and caliper. Do you think that this is exclusive to the bb7 caliper?

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The Lauf fits a 180 rotor direct mount with a SRAM Guide, I set mine up last night with no issues.

    It's more likely that the BB7 is the problem, a couple washers is not an uncommon practice... they call them caliper spacers
    Yep! Using 180mm rotor with SRAM Guide RS and no adapter is needed.
    Lauf' Carbonara Fork?-fullsizerender.jpg

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    So this is my first Lauf, I have experience on rigid fat and suspension fork fat.

    How I woudl describe the Lauf:

    Imagine the difference you feel when you drop the air pressure on your fat tires. Reducing tire pressure helps with shock absorption, but it tends to compromise handling, by causing tire rolling/slop.

    The difference with the Lauf is that the additional shock absorption you get from the Lauf does not compromise handling like a underinflated tire, so you get absorption AND you get stability.

    It's like a thudbuster, but for the entire front end of the bike.

    So far I have not found it to be all that sloppy, but it certainly is light!

    I'm borrowing a freind's Lauf Carbonar light, running 29+, 60mm stem, large Beargrease, I'm 200#. At this point I would not getting the Lauf Carbonara stiff. Sag, if there is such a thing with the Carbonara is 25-30% and I cannot compress the travel at a standstill by more than 60-70%.

    I'll be riding hard tonight, some jumping and small drops, but if I don't have a signfiicant number of bottoming outs, I'll stick with the lighter weight springs.

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    Well, that was an interesting ride!

    First thing that comes to mind: what a bouncy rear end!

    The bounce is very obvious on level, well graded trail, bad enough that I'm bouncing me off the seat as I pedal.

    So I dropped my tire pressure substantially, ~10-12psi on Surly 29 x 3 Dirt Wizards, the bounce was better, but still significant.

    I've ridden 29 rigid, geared, with and without sudpension, and I've never had rear end bounce like this on a narrower tire. On a 4-5" tire I've had some bounce, but dropping pressure usually settled things down.

    I'm trying to blame it on the cf Beargrease frame, but I don't think a little cf fdrame stiffness would cause so much bounce

    I did get the fork to bottom out off a ledge, it made this audible "clack", which caused me to get concerned, so I checked my wheel.

    So I have pulled off the Lauf and installed the factory rigid fork, a quick ride around the yard and the bounce appears to have lessened, but I'll need a real ride to know for sure.

    Anyone else have this experience? All I can figure is either I have become so used to having rear suspension that I've become a "little girl", the Beargrease frame is so stiff that it transmits every movement, or I'm getting feedback from the fork. Either way, something has to change cuz the bounce is not rideable.

    Edit: Just did some riding with rigid, 29+ and 26 x 4, also spent some time on my buddies hard tail 29er... and in my my not so scientific opinion, the Lauf and the carbon Beargrease do not play well togethet.

    Two things were apparent, first, the fork was definitely feeding into the bounce, at certain cadences I couldn't keep my butt on the seat. Second, there was more slop and geometry change in the fork action than I suspected, making the bike far less precise when ridden hard jnto turns.

    It's a cool concept, but it's not that much softer riding than a carbon fork, esp when riding fat, and the cost, combined with less precise steering is no bueno.

    I'd take rigid over the Lauf, but if I really needed suspension then I'd get a real fork.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 11-04-2016 at 09:24 PM.

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thought I should chime in with my quick report.

    I've never ridden a Bluto so I cannot compare but I have ridden just about every suspension fork and suspension stem (the dream of the 90s is alive...).

    I put one on my Borealis Yampa. Got it used--retail is pretty darn high.

    I mainly ride my Fatbike on sandy and baby-head rocky beaches--some rides being 4+ hours. i really wanted the low maintenance and low corrosive risk of the Lauf.

    It was a revelation how great the thing road on the first ride. The rocky beach smoothed out considerably. It's so great I find myself riding it all the time now, especially on trails.

    It is definitely not as stiff as the rigid fork or my Lefty struts. But I'm so thrilled with it I'm considering a Grit for my cross bike.

    And while I get some don't like the looks-I think it's cool looking.

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Well, that was an interesting ride!

    First thing that comes to mind: what a bouncy rear end!

    The bounce is very obvious on level, well graded trail, bad enough that I'm bouncing me off the seat as I pedal.

    So I dropped my tire pressure substantially, ~10-12psi on Surly 29 x 3 Dirt Wizards, the bounce was better, but still significant.

    I've ridden 29 rigid, geared, with and without sudpension, and I've never had rear end bounce like this on a narrower tire. On a 4-5" tire I've had some bounce, but dropping pressure usually settled things down.

    I'm trying to blame it on the cf Beargrease frame, but I don't think a little cf fdrame stiffness would cause so much bounce

    I did get the fork to bottom out off a ledge, it made this audible "clack", which caused me to get concerned, so I checked my wheel.

    So I have pulled off the Lauf and installed the factory rigid fork, a quick ride around the yard and the bounce appears to have lessened, but I'll need a real ride to know for sure.

    Anyone else have this experience? All I can figure is either I have become so used to having rear suspension that I've become a "little girl", the Beargrease frame is so stiff that it transmits every movement, or I'm getting feedback from the fork. Either way, something has to change cuz the bounce is not rideable.

    Edit: Just did some riding with rigid, 29+ and 26 x 4, also spent some time on my buddies hard tail 29er... and in my my not so scientific opinion, the Lauf and the carbon Beargrease do not play well togethet.

    Two things were apparent, first, the fork was definitely feeding into the bounce, at certain cadences I couldn't keep my butt on the seat. Second, there was more slop and geometry change in the fork action than I suspected, making the bike far less precise when ridden hard jnto turns.

    It's a cool concept, but it's not that much softer riding than a carbon fork, esp when riding fat, and the cost, combined with less precise steering is no bueno.

    I'd take rigid over the Lauf, but if I really needed suspension then I'd get a real fork.
    I'be not had a chance to try a Lauf on my BG, but very interested. I would hope you would have a better ride experience with the correct springs. At 200lbs you are outside of the light spring range unless I missed something. If I can my Bluto with not enough air it would handle like crap too.

    When I first went from FS to rigid fatbike I was getting bounced off he seat way too much. I was really disappointed with all the pedal strikes and being bucked off. I stuck with it and naturally adjusted. I found myself standing more and keeping the saddle unweighted. I realized FS had made me lazy and I could no longer just sit and put down power thru all the obstacles.

    It's definitely not for everyone but the precise steering, light frontend, and simplicity has really grown on me.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    14
    Two weeks in. I need more rides but so far it works great on certain trails and not so much on others. Feels like it is trying to catch up sometimes. Oddly enough it work fine on chunky technical stuff. I'm switch to a 2.4 up front and experimenting with tire pressure.

  47. #97
    Specialized
    Reputation: Seb K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    879
    I'm in the middle of sanding mine down (got it down to 921grams so far) and as I'm sanding it I can hear small clicks coming from the blades . I'm glad I saw this post as I was getting worried .

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    80
    Will xt brakes with 203 rotors/ adapter from Bluto work with Lauf?
    Thanks

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johanneson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    248
    [QUOTE=karimian5;12934436]I'm in the middle of sanding mine down (got it down to 921grams so far) and as I'm sanding it I can hear small clicks coming from the blades . I'm glad I saw this post as I was getting worried .[/QUOTE

    I'm worried for you, my friend.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    I checked sag and looked at how it was responding to input, and I would not say that the light springs were too light, though I did bottom it off a jump. If I bought one, I'd go with heavy springs.

    The biggest thing that stands out in my mind is that the Lauf is not a a suspension fork, so if you're expecting suspension, then the Lauf is not for you. It does provide some give, but it's not even as signfincat as riding a Bluto 80mm fork.

    I hear what you're saying about being used to one system, then moving to another, but the reality is that if I want to ride hard, real suspension is the only answer or I will get beat up.

    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I'be not had a chance to try a Lauf on my BG, but very interested. I would hope you would have a better ride experience with the correct springs. At 200lbs you are outside of the light spring range unless I missed something. If I can my Bluto with not enough air it would handle like crap too.

    When I first went from FS to rigid fatbike I was getting bounced off he seat way too much. I was really disappointed with all the pedal strikes and being bucked off. I stuck with it and naturally adjusted. I found myself standing more and keeping the saddle unweighted. I realized FS had made me lazy and I could no longer just sit and put down power thru all the obstacles.

    It's definitely not for everyone but the precise steering, light frontend, and simplicity has really grown on me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lauf fork reviews?
    By MAX LLOYD in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM
  2. Lauf Trail Racer Fork. The lightest 29er suspension fork ever?
    By Shalom in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 05:45 AM
  3. Fat Lauf leaf spring suspension fork
    By Drew Diller in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM
  4. Lauf TR29 fork
    By Testmule in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 10:41 PM
  5. Lauf trail racer 980 gram fork
    By Hogdog in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •