mtbr member

Larry on a 65mm vs 82 mm rim

The Necro and Pugs both use a Larry. Would the footprint be wider on the 82 mm rim?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Bite Me.
    yes
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    yes
    and yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    and yes
    I'm looking at a Pugs or Necro. For what I'll be riding, the Moon lander is overkill and the Pugs might not be enough. I thought the Necro is just right.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I'm looking at a Pugs or Necro. For what I'll be riding, the Moon lander is overkill and the Pugs might not be enough. I thought the Necro is just right.
    Seconds. I love the versatility of the Necro. Sweet spot right in the middle! That was why I chose it as my first fattie ride. It does everything and does it quite well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    The Necro and Pugs both use a Larry. Would the footprint be wider on the 82 mm rim?
    According to Surly the difference is 6mm.

Blog | Surly Bikes
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The difference is only in a footprint width? What about tuck of a wider tire on thick rim (Bud on Marge, for example)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjolla View Post
    The difference is only in a footprint width? What about tuck of a wider tire on thick rim (Bud on Marge, for example)?
    I am still in the process of building my first fat bike, so I can only offer measurements and speculation.

I have Marge Lite rims, new BFL's, and a mildly used Larry. At 9 psi (why 9? because that is where I stopped pumping both tires, and surprisingly, they were both at 9 psi) the BFL measured about 6mm wider and 7mm taller. Considering that many there are many hundreds of happy Pugsley owners with Marge rims, I am thinking an extra 6mm and 7mm is not going to turn it into a sloppy handling pig. I have done some searching and have found quite a few happy riders on Marges with BFL's.

Hopefully I am right, because I have quite a bit of money wrapped up in tires and rims!

Oh, and I would post pictures, but the tires are off and I just painted the rims. Aqua-marine, if you're wondering

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post
    I am still in the process of building my first fat bike, so I can only offer measurements and speculation.

I have Marge Lite rims, new BFL's, and a mildly used Larry. At 9 psi (why 9? because that is where I stopped pumping both tires, and surprisingly, they were both at 9 psi) the BFL measured about 6mm wider and 7mm taller. Considering that many there are many hundreds of happy Pugsley owners with Marge rims, I am thinking an extra 6mm and 7mm is not going to turn it into a sloppy handling pig. I have done some searching and have found quite a few happy riders on Marges with BFL's.

Hopefully I am right, because I have quite a bit of money wrapped up in tires and rims!

Oh, and I would post pictures, but the tires are off and I just painted the rims. Aqua-marine, if you're wonderinol:
    I'm afraid that for me, as a Mukluk owner, 7 mm increased tall will be lethal (I've seen pics where some guy put Bud to the rear of Mukluk and the tire stuck near bottom braket; so BFL's+14mm diameter will be similar to normal Bud diameter). Therefore Marges aren't good choice for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there noticable difference in handling between 65mm and 82mm rims with Larry? Is the diameter of the tires same and only width is different?

Pugsley fram/fork can handle 82mm rims too or is Moonlander fork needed for 82mm rims?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    Is there noticable difference in handling between 65mm and 82mm rims with Larry? Is the diameter of the tires same and only width is different?

Pugsley fram/fork can handle 82mm rims too or is Moonlander fork needed for 82mm rims?
    Pugsley fork will handle 82mm rims. Handling will be a little bit different. Depends on you and what you ride as to which is better. If you've never been on fat before either one will be AOK.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info. In what situations are 82mm rims preferred over 65mm? I haven't still decided if I get Fatboy with its 90mm rims or Pugsley with 65mm or 82mm rims.