mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Larry 3.8 27tpi's worth it?

Hey guys pretty new to the fat bike game, was going to buy these tires but figured I'd ask first. I currently have vee rubber missions 72tpi, someone I know is selling 2 larry 3.8 27tpi's for $80. Current conditions where I live. Very cold , icey and snowy. Non winter is mainly hardpacked singletrack. I'm 6' 230 if that makes any difference. Looking for some feedback on these tires/conditions. Thanks in advance.

Nuts
    No find a set of Nates if you want better winter tires. That being said the Larry does make a decent summer hardpack tire.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    When you do upgrade try 120tpi tires for snow. They are usually lighter and roll better in the snow. I have been using light weight tubes all season and they improve ride as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I switched to q tubes already. Figured for $80 bucks they gotta be an improvement over the missions. Missions seemed fine on dry hardpacked and some sandy conditions but anything wet mud/snow forget about it. I went down to 5,6psi and all I did was wash out on every other turn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiski View Post
    When you do upgrade try 120tpi tires for snow. They are usually lighter and roll better in the snow. I have been using light weight tubes all season and they improve ride as well.
    +1 - any question that starts should I buy 27 TPI XXXXXXX - would be a no from me. Tires affect the performance of your bike more than any other component...unless you are so fast none of your friends can keep up and you are looking for an equalizer skip the 27TPI tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The 120tpi Larry is a useless turd in the snow. The 27tpi version is an even heavier useless turd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on Larry's, I did like them in the sand though. My LBS bike sales guy told me 27tpi tires were like riding on a cold garden hose, I thought that was a pretty good description of my old 27tpi Larry's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The 27 tpi Larry on my 2012 Muk has a Jekyll /Hyde personality - docil, manueverable at low speeds (below 10 mph) and a buttload of self steer above 12 -14. Comes as a shock on twisty downhill singletracks! The 27 tpi Winter Dillinger 4's have a lot less self steer and studs. Not to mention gobs of better traction than the Endomorph OEM rear tire. So the worst quirk of the Larry to me is the self steer at speed as there is no getting around it - it is there and obnoxious. May try the Endo on the front as a science experiment when switching back to summer tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Running a Larry on the front. Seemed OK to me both on single track and snow. It tracked well in 5" fresh snow with 3 to 5 psi on open fields and on the road. Would no use it on the rear. It's the only front tire I've used so take that into consideration.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Stick my neck out and say that any 27 tpi tire is a big step backwards.
    If you're looking to upgrade, 27 tpi isn't the way to go.

Higher tpi is both easier to roll and it conforms better to the terrain for better grip.

I like my 120 tpi Larry for the front in snow (even when on my summer 47mm trials), but I ride easy and I'm never pushing it. From what others are saying about Larrys compared to newer offerings, I wouldn't buy another 120 tpi Larry, but find something else that's recommended for the conditions I ride in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well since my initial post I did end up buying the tires. Got an even better deal and to me even if they werent the best for that price who cares. Besides they ended up being a much better tire than my Vee Missions which were basically useless in anything other than dry hardpacked. Yes there is self steer and they are a little on the hard side but it doesnt really bother me. I believe the other factors play alot into how a tire performs. Such as rider weight, tire pressure... I weigh almost 240 with no gear and am running the tires at around 5-7lbs. Yes the tire isnt the best and there are plenty better but it works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecognize View Post
    Well since my initial post I did end up buying the tires. Got an even better deal and to me even if they werent the best for that price who cares. Besides they ended up being a much better tire than my Vee Missions which were basically useless in anything other than dry hardpacked. Yes there is self steer and they are a little on the hard side but it doesnt really bother me. I believe the other factors play alot into how a tire performs. Such as rider weight, tire pressure... I weigh almost 240 with no gear and am running the tires at around 5-7lbs. Yes the tire isnt the best and there are plenty better but it works fine for me.
    What a lot of guys forget, is that "What works for you--works". I think that most all of the guys try to be helpful, but some forget that different things make different people happy, and are adequate for their purpose.

Glad you got a better deal and are ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes I appreciate all the responses and opinions, very tough to really gauge something when there are so many factors. You can debate anything if you want. Thanks again for your responses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecognize View Post
    Yes I appreciate all the responses and opinions, very tough to really gauge something when there are so many factors. You can debate anything if you want. Thanks again for your responses.
    One more here:-)
    I ordered the 27tpi Larrys when I built my Pugs. I'm running regular Surly fat bike tubes in them. This is all that I have ridden on, so I don't know how much better other tires and setups feel. I am enjoying my riding, and although I can feel the heavy rotational mass sometimes when I need to accelerate, once I get going, I don't think about it. In the absence of true knowledge about fat bike tires, I am happy enough in my ignorance. For now, anyway.

You scored a good deal on 'em. Good for sand, bogs, and packed trails.