mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Larry 3.8 27tpi's worth it?

Hey guys pretty new to the fat bike game, was going to buy these tires but figured I'd ask first. I currently have vee rubber missions 72tpi, someone I know is selling 2 larry 3.8 27tpi's for $80. Current conditions where I live. Very cold , icey and snowy. Non winter is mainly hardpacked singletrack. I'm 6' 230 if that makes any difference. Looking for some feedback on these tires/conditions. Thanks in advance.

Nuts
    No find a set of Nates if you want better winter tires. That being said the Larry does make a decent summer hardpack tire.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    When you do upgrade try 120tpi tires for snow. They are usually lighter and roll better in the snow. I have been using light weight tubes all season and they improve ride as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I switched to q tubes already. Figured for $80 bucks they gotta be an improvement over the missions. Missions seemed fine on dry hardpacked and some sandy conditions but anything wet mud/snow forget about it. I went down to 5,6psi and all I did was wash out on every other turn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiski View Post
    When you do upgrade try 120tpi tires for snow. They are usually lighter and roll better in the snow. I have been using light weight tubes all season and they improve ride as well.
    +1 - any question that starts should I buy 27 TPI XXXXXXX - would be a no from me. Tires affect the performance of your bike more than any other component...unless you are so fast none of your friends can keep up and you are looking for an equalizer skip the 27TPI tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The 120tpi Larry is a useless turd in the snow. The 27tpi version is an even heavier useless turd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on Larry's, I did like them in the sand though. My LBS bike sales guy told me 27tpi tires were like riding on a cold garden hose, I thought that was a pretty good description of my old 27tpi Larry's.