Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth! View Post
    I just ordered a set of 65mm Lamere, going to lace them to some i9's...
    Design, price, warranty were my considerations (not slick marketing)
    I've been wondering about the price on those rims. I didn't see them mentioned on the website or the Facebook page. Maybe I missed it. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than $500 per rim, but no less than $400.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I've been wondering about the price on those rims. I didn't see them mentioned on the website or the Facebook page. Maybe I missed it. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than $500 per rim, but no less than $400.
    I got a mail that the 80mm wil be 1150 for a pair.

Personally i don't like the 64 holes in them so will prolly pass these.
    I had ordered a pair Borealis but after 10 weeks of receiving mails with "rims will be shipped on xx my wheelbuilder got a mail stating that they won't ship rims any more but he was welome to send in the hubs so that they lace the wheel.
    (Course which wheelbuilder specially from europe would do such a thing?)
    We are still quite "not amused" about the communication regarding this ..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    broadwayline - did you go for the standard QRs? The fork looks like a might be a little flexy which is putting me off a bit - your impressions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big_scot_nanny View Post
    broadwayline - did you go for the standard QRs? The fork looks like a might be a little flexy which is putting me off a bit - your impressions?
    I am curious how you came to that conclusion? I normally don't associate carbon forks with thru axles and tapered steer tubes to be flexy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vighor View Post
    I had ordered a pair Borealis but after 10 weeks of receiving mails with "rims will be shipped on xx my wheelbuilder got a mail stating that they won't ship rims any more but he was welome to send in the hubs so that they lace the wheel.
    Yeah, I ran into this too, posted about it the other day since nobody seems to have heard of such a thing. This comes down to liability insurance, and apparently isn't limited to Borealis, can't remember what other carbon-rim supplier also recently changed their policy in such fashion.

Frankly, if this is required it should be included in the list price, instead of being a "hidden cost" (add $30/wheel for Carbondales). But unless someone in the know says otherwise, it appears this wasn't the case as recently as last year. So I can understand the lack of communication from carbon-rim suppliers whose products didn't even exist that recently, they prolly got a bit blindsided by this themselves.

I'm not holding it against my LBS for not knowing sooner, previously-quoted price is now considerably higher because the $30 doesn't include shipping my hubs to Borealis (another hidden cost). At least now I know to drop-ship my hubs to avoid this, but doing that will be a PITA vis-a-vis my credit card -- unapproved shipping address. I guess if you want to build your own carbon-rim wheels (or have your LBS do it), you'll soon have to source your rims from China -- for less money and less hassle.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I am curious how you came to that conclusion? I normally don't associate carbon forks with thru axles and tapered steer tubes to be flexy.
    I agree, but my experience with standard QRs on other forks (granted, restricted to 29er suspension, raod cro-mo or carbon) has been pretty flexy, and I was thinking that the carbon looks a bit weeny with the massive wheel and narrow QR.

If I was able to get this with thru axles there would not be an issue, but JP had stated this is not possible, hence the question. Hope that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big_scot_nanny View Post
    I agree, but my experience with standard QRs on other forks (granted, restricted to 29er suspension, raod cro-mo or carbon) has been pretty flexy, and I was thinking that the carbon looks a bit weeny with the massive wheel and narrow QR.

If I was able to get this with thru axles there would not be an issue, but JP had stated this is not possible, hence the question. Hope that makes sense.

Rigid carbon forks vs suspension forks for 29ers is apples to oranges. Also, unless something has changed, the Lamere was supposed to be available with QR or thru axle, and is advertised as such on his web-site. I doubt you could feel the Lamere carbon fork flex with or without thru axles if your life depended on it. I know with my Fatback carbon fork it's the stiffest front end I have ever ridden, and it has a QR no less.

mtbr member

Just ordered mine

I just ordered my carbon fattie from Josh at LaMere. I live in Minneapolis and visited the shop a couple times to test ride, pick build kit and discuss options. Great guys, they take time to customize the bike and I can't wait to see it all done.
    I went with the new front thru-axle - so that should be plenty stiff. I also opted for 80mm rims for that little extra width in the deep stuff.
    Now, if anyone wants to buy my Mukluk2 - lemme know

mtbr member
    JP has been really good and quick about answering questions that I've had. My 80mm wheels and thru-axle fork will be here today and that will complete the parts needed for my build. I will have the first LaMere fatty in Alaska to my knowledge. I'm anxious to try it out but I will have to head north to find snow to ride on by the time I get to ride it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RogboAK View Post
    JP has been really good and quick about answering questions that I've had. My 80mm wheels and thru-axle fork will be here today and that will complete the parts needed for my build. I will have the first LaMere fatty in Alaska to my knowledge. I'm anxious to try it out but I will have to head north to find snow to ride on by the time I get to ride it.
    i might have just snuck one in on you today
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

is buachail foighneach me

The other shop in Wasilla, not Backcountry, I can't remember the name, has them in stock according to their FB feed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thast good to hear. I guess I am too far East. I have not had the same experience at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

JP has been really good and quick about answering questions that I've had.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    The other shop in Wasilla, not Backcountry, I can't remember the name, has them in stock according to their FB feed.
    Alaska Bicycle Center... Carrying the carbon rims and forks as well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    i might have just snuck one in on you today
    Nice! What did you do for a build?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

One of you should post a pic of your build...

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's going together:

Lamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-15-.jpg

19" frame
    QR dropouts for now (when I go for the CF rims later this year I may go through-axle)
    X9 T2 rear derailleur
    X5 shifter
    RF Turbines w/32t narrow-wide ring
    XT chain
    XT 36t cassette
    Crank Brothers Cobalt SL 780mm CF bar
    Fizik Anteres Vs saddle
    On-one 70mm stem
    Stock "headset"
    Anno blue KCNC seatpost binder (hasn't arrived yet)
    Generic CF seatpost (hasn't arrived yet, have a light aluminum one in there for now)
    Blue shifter housing
    Avid Elixr 1 brakes (from the on-one)
    One-one wheelset (drilled), I'll put some blue take in the cut-outs tomorrow or the next day.

I'll build up or buy some 29er wheels for it in a few weeks most likely, but when we get the carbon-rim PFD this year I'll put some fat carbons on anno blue hubs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    And it's ready, save a few parts that are still on the way(but ridable as is). Sorry for the crappy pics. Put it on the scale and we were getting something like 27.07lbs, but I had to remove one of the brake adaptors due to the rear post-mount, so with my shimano pedals it's still a good deal below 28lbs before a few more parts come.

Lamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-1.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-2.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-3.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-4.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Good looking ride Jayem! You'll have to post your impression of your maiden voyage. Looking forward to mine when I get back from work in a couple weeks. All my parts are in now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lamere cycles carbon fatbike-image.jpgImpressions to come.

Elitest thrill junkie
    More from the successful shake-down ride.Lamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-1-3-.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-2-2-.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-3-3-.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-4-2-.jpgLamere cycles carbon fatbike-photo-3-2-.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    The bike worked beautifully. It's a bit bigger than my on-one, which is noticeable, and I ordered it that way on purpose. The end effect is that it does feel a little slower through the tight stuff, but the on-one felt a little cramped during extended seated time. BB feels very stiff under power, better than the on-one. Eventually I plan to get a slightly shorter stem than the 60mm I'm currently running, but it feels pretty well dialed right now.

I can't really believe someone above is talking about fork flex. Seriously? This thing is massive, bigger than my carver carbon fork by a good margin. It also runs a 180mm rotor with no problem. The carver required some modification (filing) of the 135mm rotor adaptor so the rotor wouldn't rub the leg. I don't know why anyone would want to run a 200mm rotor on a fatbike, but the lamere fork has plenty of clearance for that. The fork seems especially well-thought out.

Not really a whole lot else to mention, the build worked pretty perfect, only turned the shifter barrel 2 clicks on the entire ride and was shifting great the entire time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice looking ride Jayem!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Nice looking ride Jayem!
    Agree!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    All I have to say on this matter is: Route the cables on a Borealis or Beargrease and then try to on a LaMere

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednblackbike View Post
    All I have to say on this matter is: Route the cables on a Borealis or Beargrease and then try to on a LaMere
    I did the rear derailleur cable, it was super easy. The LBS did the brake cable. Supposedly that was not "super easy". I usually do all my own work, but I don't have any bleed kits anymore. They said something about "not having any internal tubes" for the brake cable. If anyone wants to know how to run the derailleur cable easy, let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Lamere makes high end carbon bikes from Asia. They are just as high of quality as beargrease's or whiteout's. Giant makes all of trek bikes, Merida makes specialized, I wouldn't be surprised if giant made lamere. A verby high quality riug. $1800 for a frame and fork is a great deal.

wild times
    Sep 2010
    Hi broadwayline, what size did you go with? I am interested in a FS 29" but a little uncertain on the exact size. I currently ride a larger Giant X29er. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just received my XL carbon Fat Bike from LaMere 10/7/2015. Let me just say that the process was first rate and one of the best experiences I have had. First, go to the Facebook page and you will see that they are heavily involved with sponsorship and support of their local riders. Second, the web site is as thorough as it gets. I had no knowledge or experience with LaMere cycles prior to this purchase but it rocked. During the build process I had no fewer than 15 emails from the owner (JP) working on parts selection to meet my budget and needs. I have never had such a customized buying experience in my life. The bike was built in 2 days and shipped on the third. I have had two rides on it and the quality is solid. Their warranty looks as good as the bike and after this experience, I believe that if I have any problems there will be no surprises. I am a rider that has been doing this for 32 years and for reference of my opinion of quality here is what I own or previously own; 2 Santa Cruz carbon Tallboys, Moots YBB ti, moonlander, yeti575, 3D custom, Bianchi SS etc. this is as nice as the others and the quality of carbon is like the Santa Cruz Tall boy. I just wanted to pass on to those who are looking at this bike. Great process, great business, great product. I will be purchasing my next road bike from them as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopen View Post
    Lamere makes high end carbon bikes from Asia. They are just as high of quality as beargrease's or whiteout's. Giant makes all of trek bikes, Merida makes specialized, I wouldn't be surprised if giant made lamere. A verby high quality riug. $1800 for a frame and fork is a great deal.
    You may be surprised then that they don't!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mine is still going strong, looking forward to a good season of fatbiking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Update 7 months and 900+ miles.

Quote Originally Posted by skitodie View Post
    I just received my XL carbon Fat Bike from LaMere 10/7/2015. Let me just say that the process was first rate and one of the best experiences I have had. First, go to the Facebook page and you will see that they are heavily involved with sponsorship and support of their local riders. Second, the web site is as thorough as it gets. I had no knowledge or experience with LaMere cycles prior to this purchase but it rocked. During the build process I had no fewer than 15 emails from the owner (JP) working on parts selection to meet my budget and needs. I have never had such a customized buying experience in my life. The bike was built in 2 days and shipped on the third. I have had two rides on it and the quality is solid. Their warranty looks as good as the bike and after this experience, I believe that if I have any problems there will be no surprises. I am a rider that has been doing this for 32 years and for reference of my opinion of quality here is what I own or previously own; 2 Santa Cruz carbon Tallboys, Moots YBB ti, moonlander, yeti575, 3D custom, Bianchi SS etc. this is as nice as the others and the quality of carbon is like the Santa Cruz Tall boy. I just wanted to pass on to those who are looking at this bike. Great process, great business, great product. I will be purchasing my next road bike from them as well.

Well after 7 months and 900 miles I have not had any problems or surprises. The carbon wheels and Industry 9 hubs have been flawless. The frame is rock solid and has been very reliable. I am 6'5"/200 lbs and have broken 2 other brand frames in the past due to my lanky build and the stress that I place on the frame. Not this one. I have ridden it almost exclusively now through the fall, winter and spring and can report that it is all that LaMere Cycles says it is. Buy with confidence and you can be guaranteed to be able to reach JP the owner or anyone else if you experience problems or have any questions. Thumbs up for a great product. I look forward to doing business with them again in the near future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well, I am 3.5 years late to the party.... I read this thread and JP's answers about 6 month ago. I consequently ordered one of the LaMere frames with a Lauf fork - for the sick looks... In fairness, it is a Boost and not a fat bike... I am quite sure I have NOT seen that frame anywhere else under any other brand, but on the Lamere page. Only one way to describe my experience with JP and Shea from LaMere bikes: awesome and super professional!!! First you get a frame that looks super se*y and works like a charm - stiff and great geometry. And you get all of this for a much lower price than you would get from the big brands... What you further get is an enormous support from the LaMere guys while and after building up the bike. I had a lot of - self-inflicted - little issues building the bike, not being a professional mechanic, but doing this as a hobby. I am sure I almost drove Shea - he is LaMere's mechanic - insane with all my questions and issues.. But really excellent service and the patience of a saint...
    Thanks guys for making this purchase possible and assisting me all the way...

If you are thinking about buying decently priced carbon fatty or Boost bike - wait no longer... LaMere is worth the cash....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12