mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Kris Holm 26 in.freeride/Husker Du wheelbuild

Looking to build up a lighter wheelset.Most fatbike are overkill for my needs so I started to lokkk at DH/Trials rims.Came across Kris Holm freeride 26"rims at 47mm.Looking to lace them to my salsa hubs.Will my HD's fit this narrow of a rim?I was considering Marge Lites but its more rim width then what I need and with that more $$$.Any other narrow rim suggestions..Checked out Echo's and Trialtechs but their very difficult to find.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    26" Rear Rims

Looks like they have less in stock than usual.

I only have first hand experience with the V!Z "rear" 47mm wide 26" rims. I mounted an Endomorph, Larry, and Nate to them. They stay on once installed well, but installing them well takes care. The bead fit is very loose. You'll either have a very round and true result, or blow the tire off the rim while inflating. (I'm making it sound worse than it is, after practice.)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    26" Rear Rims

Looks like they have less in stock than usual.

I only have first hand experience with the V!Z "rear" 47mm wide 26" rims. I mounted an Endomorph, Larry, and Nate to them. They stay on once installed well, but installing them well takes care. The bead fit is very loose. You'll either have a very round and true result, or blow the tire off the rim while inflating. (I'm making it sound worse than it is, after practice.)
    Do you think that the tire would have the tendency to blow off under harsh terrain? see pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kris Holm 26 in.freeride/Husker Du wheelbuild-020.jpg  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I never got it to happen. I bottomed out maybe three dozen times with insufficient tire pressure, the rims are now full of dents.

FWIW, I've blown tires off of Large Marge rims during inflation and being careless with the seating. Fat tires are floppy...

YMMV of course, I don't have a set of Husker Du tires.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    My experience is that the Endo and BF have a very nice and tight fit on the Trialtech's.
    And SANDMAN is using them on their bikes, and they seem to abuse them without major issues.
    So i think it's pretty safe to say that you don't have to worry about that to much.

Chronic Underachiever
    1. I've been using a Larry on a 47mm ZHI trials rim and it works just fine. I tend to run a higher pressure than I would with a wider rim because I don't use this setup on snow very much.

2. I believe that just about all of the Kris Holm rims are drilled 36h, but I'm unaware of any 36h 170mm rear hubs.

3. The KH rims are double-wall and may not be any lighter than Sheebas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm with Drew on the V!Z rims. Kind of a pain in the butt to set up but once there no issues. They are what I use in the summer. I don't ride super gnarly terrain but one trail in particular has plenty of 4" to 6" rocks that you just can't totally miss and I certainly don't. I do get rim strikes but no blowouts yet. No pinch flats either and I sure feel like some of the hits would have been on a "regular" bike. I had to order the rims from TartyBikes in the UK but they came fast and the shipping was not too bad.
    Latitude 61

Bad cat!

rim link

I asked something of a similar question a little bit ago, and have poked around a little looking for rims. What about these guys:26 Rims : Midwest Bike Trials, THE trials source

Seem to have a decent selection... I'm a lightweight so the Rockman rims looked pretty appealing to me. Haven't pulled trigger yet since A: Husker Du's look to be a long ways off and B: Salsa 170 hub will take some saving at two bucks for the Mukluk 2 version. Anyone have any experience with the Rockmans?

How much does it weigh?
    The Rockman/Try-All rims are plenty strong.

Guys, remember your tire is taking the brunt of the force when they're this big and low pressure.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    The Rockman/Try-All rims are plenty strong.

Guys, remember your tire is taking the brunt of the force when they're this big and low pressure.
    Yeah, my sidewalls very quickly told me all about it. Pumped it up.

And then, MendonCycleSmith came along and now I'm good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks guys.I was so intent looking for suitable rims that it slipped my mind about spoke/hub count since I want to reuse my hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok dumb ??? time since this is the first time I bought rims for a build.Since I want the width and the front rims are narrower...its ok with 2 back rims or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Ok dumb ??? time since this is the first time I bought rims for a build.Since I want the width and the front rims are narrower...its ok with 2 back rims or am I missing something?
    You are on track. Two back is what you want.
    Latitude 61

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Rockmans?
    +1

Looking for a 47mm-ish wide, 32h rim for a fat front project I'm working on. Would actually prefer double-wall but could go single. Would also like to source from someplace in the US, but have been told by one shop so far that the market for trials stuff has really dried up...

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Don't know about the states but I have gotten stuff here in Canada from HB trials. I have seen other people say that they don't pay any border fees having stuff sent to the states.