Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Krampus - will it satisfy my fat craving?

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]OK, I was set on getting a Pugs until I came across aKrampus. Unfortunately, I don’t have the opportunity to test ride one, so Ihave to go by reviews, opinions, etc. in order to make my decision. I reallylike the Pugs, which I was able to test ride. A lot of fun, and different – whichis what I am looking for to go along side my 26” HT. The bike in question willbe on trails and singletrack more so than snow and sand. I know this can turninto an apples/oranges, right tool for the job argument, but here goes. I likethe “squish” that the Pugs gives, acting almost like a front suspension withproper inflation. Will the Krampus be similar in that regard? Or, will I beatmyself silly on rock gardens and curse at pinch flats? I know it’s a rigid andsome is to be expected, but to what extent? Maybe I put it this way…Will I bedisappointed in going with a Krampus over a Pugs for mainly non-snow, non-sandtrail riding? I’m just looking for the best cost-to-fun ratio bike that I canget my hands on.>>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    With the right wheel set the Pugs can conquer hardpacked ST type rides no problem and that was my main goal when i built mine as opposed to focusing on snow rides so yes it's very capable. I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Kramp on the same trails but it is not FAT comparatively speaking.

mtbr member
    It's the starter drug.

It'll keep you happy for a little while.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I'd also say go for a Krampus, but a Krampug may be a better choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Krampus is a fat bike. Rides like one, looks like one, and performs like one. I had one, didn't hate it but found it didn't do anything spectacularly different than my Pugsley so I sold it to buy an ROS 9.

I had my brief fling with fat bikes. They are fun but when the novelty wore off I found myself picking one of the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As been said, A pugsley frame with 2 sets of wheels. 1 set with rolling Daryll rims and the other set with rabbit holes (Krampug).... 1 bike multi uses!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    The Krampus is a fat bike. Rides like one, looks like one, and performs like one. I had one, didn't hate it but found it didn't do anything spectacularly different than my Pugsley so I sold it to buy an ROS 9.
    29+ is what the kramp is so not in the truest sense until 3.8, but then guys with 4.8's may think this way about smaller sized.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    A Krampus is like getting a lean hamburger when you're craving juicy, marbled Kobe beef.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Allow me to throw this question out there:

If you were about ready to get on a hardpack trail, and could go at it with either a stock Pugs or a stock Krampus, which would you put a leg over (and why)?

turtles make me hot
    For best results, get a fat bike and build a second set of 29+ wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    A Krampus is going to be like a rigid 29er with 'fat' qualities...it is in no way a true fat bike, rather, a plump 29er. I dig it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    A Krampus is going to be like a rigid 29er with 'fat' qualities...it is in no way a true fat bike, rather, a plump 29er. I dig it.
    Fat qualities, such as? I'm guessing smoother feel from the big tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence88 View Post
    Fat qualities, such as? I'm guessing smoother feel from the big tires?
    Plush ride, increased traction and increased float over a regular 29er but nowhere near as much as a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Plush ride, increased traction and increased float over a regular 29er but nowhere near as much as a fat bike.
    spot on!

edited to remove my foot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think the krampus may fit your needs really well. The geometry of the krampus is very fast feeling and confidence inspiring. The 3" tire is supple riding but not as much squish as a "standard" fat. Pugsly's to me have always ride as a very stable ride with more relaxed geo. Go krampus and enjoy the mid fat life.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Fatback and a Krampus. I love both. They are definitely different beasts. A true fatty will definitely be better in most snow situations. I rode my Fatback almost exclusively for over a year. A fat bike actually makes a great year round ride. There are definite advantages if the Krampus, however, if you're planning on getting a bike almost solely for singletrack. The a Krampus uses common sizes of hubs and bb. I swear that I feel a bit less beat up after a long singletrack session on the Krampus. That may just be me. With light rims and tires on a full fatty, you will get beat up less and your bike will feel much more nimble. I'm talking game changing amounts of increased nimbleness. I can only imagine how nimble the Krampus will feel with lighter rims and tires. My stock Krampus weighs in about a half pound more than my Fatback with a set of cheap Vee Mission tires on it. The stock Krampus in size medium is a hair over 33.5lb. Even though the Krampus is a porker, it rides lighter than you'd think. Sorry that my post is all over the place.

mtbr member

I've ridden a Krampus and it feels like steering a big boat. Pretty long and unwieldy, compared to a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I've ridden a Krampus and it feels like steering a big boat. Pretty long and unwieldy, compared to a fat bike.
    see i guess and open mouth insert foot, oh well thats why they have an 'edit' button.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    I have a Fatback and a Krampus. I love both. They are definitely different beasts. A true fatty will definitely be better in most snow situations. I rode my Fatback almost exclusively for over a year. A fat bike actually makes a great year round ride. There are definite advantages if the Krampus, however, if you're planning on getting a bike almost solely for singletrack. The a Krampus uses common sizes of hubs and bb. I swear that I feel a bit less beat up after a long singletrack session on the Krampus. That may just be me. With light rims and tires on a full fatty, you will get beat up less and your bike will feel much more nimble. I'm talking game changing amounts of increased nimbleness. I can only imagine how nimble the Krampus will feel with lighter rims and tires. My stock Krampus weighs in about a half pound more than my Fatback with a set of cheap Vee Mission tires on it. The stock Krampus in size medium is a hair over 33.5lb. Even though the Krampus is a porker, it rides lighter than you'd think. Sorry that my post is all over the place.
    Can you expand on what you mean by "light rims and tires on a full fatty"?

What kinds of rims? What size tires, 3.8? 4.8?

I'm between building a Krampus or Pugs SS and very interested to hear your comments in ride characteristics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was riding Schlick Northpaw 47mm rims with 120tpi Knards(3.8) on my Fatback this summer, and they roll pretty darn nicely.

mtbr member
    I have a 29+ and a "FAT" fatbike (Bud/Lou on hundreds). The fattie is my go to bike when it snows but I rarely take it out anymore when the trails are dry since I discovered 29+. For me the 29+ is just better and more fun 95% of the time I ride. I do have front suspension though so that might be part of it. Maybe when a proper fork for my fattie comes out I will get it out more in the dirt.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

If you were about ready to get on a hardpack trail, and could go at it with either a stock Pugs or a stock Krampus, which would you put a leg over (and why)?
    For those conditions, I'll grab my Krampus if it's above 60 degrees and my Pug if it's below 60 degrees. The Pugs is generally funner, but the Krampus is faster.

I started with my Pugs and would recommend you go that route first. On a side note, I can't help but scratch my head at the MSRP on the complete Krampus, it ought to cost a few hundred less than a Pugs for some reason it costs a few hundred more...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Can you expand on what you mean by "light rims and tires on a full fatty"?

What kinds of rims? What size tires, 3.8? 4.8?

I'm between building a Krampus or Pugs SS and very interested to hear your comments in ride characteristics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are a range of weights among fat rims and tires. Their differences are dramatic compared with differences among 29er tires and rims. The expense goes way up as you try to lose a ton of weight. But, rolling weight loss (low density rims and tires) is way easier to feel than static weight loss (light weight frame and components).

To OP: if you are truly on hardpack more often, the Krampus. Rolls quick. Doesn't have the same raunchy awesome amount of steering grip that a full fat tire has. ...Then again, the Surly Dirt Wizard tires are going to available at some point in the not too distant future, a studlier grippy version of the 29x3" wide tire size. That's what I have my eye on for this next summer.

I used to think fat volume could replace active purpose built suspension, or at least be enough to live with. Maybe in the interim when you have a new bike on a budget, but long term I put money into front suspension, and there is the Lenz Fat Moth which is a full suspension 29+ bike.

Either bike is going to get wild when you go plowing into rocks.

You know, it almost sounds like I don't like fat bikes. I totally do!

It's the grip, man. Like, Tim the Tool Man Taylor kind of grip. It is otherwise a rigid bike.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I haven't ridden a krampus but have a pug with rabbit hole wheels that I've taken out a few times on frozen "hard pack" so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you don't ride in sand, mud or snow and like to go fast then a fat bike may not be for you. If you have the krampus and pugsley itch then why not buy a pug frame and rabbit hole wheels to try out. You can buy the frame and wheels for around $1,100.00 (less if you can find a used frame.) Shop smart on the other parts and you can build a krampug for less than an actual pugsley or krampus. If the fatbike itch has not been scratched by the 29er+ setup, then a simple wheel switch and you are rolling a true fat bike. As much as I like the 26'' fat pug, I am looking forward to the summer months on those 29er+ wheels!

mtbr member

I have both and the answer is the Krampus. It's not a fatbike and doesn't ride like one. It's a chubby 29er.

For hardpack riding the Krampus provides enough float and cushion for the odd loose section, but the tires + wheels are a lot lighter and the handling is much more like a normal 29er than a fat bike.

Going the other way the Krampus' 3" tires can't compete with a fatbike in really soft conditions.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast