Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Krampluk

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Outsider 
#1 ·
Salsa Mukluk 2014 + Rabbit Hole / Knard = Krampluk

The first impression is that it rides great. The lesser rolling mass is noticeable. I'm sure this will be an excellent summer setup, possibly complemented with the Bluto.

See less See more
#14 ·
Outsider- Any chance you could measure the distance from the ground to the centerline of the bottom bracket on your Mukluk? I'm curious how much higher the BB height would be on my 2013 Muk with a similar wheelset.

#16 ·
I measured it to be 324 mm, but the measure is not absolutely exact. As I understand it, the 2013 should have the same BB height as the 2014 version. This wheelset shoud raise the BB height a little, which it probably ok for summer use. With my height I am a fan of low bottom brackets, since I feel I benefit a lot from the lower center of gravity.

#19 ·
After having had the setup for two weeks I can now give some more impressions. I've done easy rides in the neighbouring forest, two faster MTB-O competitions and one 10+ hour ride.

The Krampluk works very well and is in my opinion clearly faster than a fatbike on the summer trails. It is lighter and in some places the lower rolling weight is clearly of great use. The tires roll well and they still smoothen the ride noticeably. The bike is still fully rigid, though, and in rocky descents care must be taken not to snakebite the front tire. I've used a pressure of around 1 bar. This setup differs from the fully fat one in that you cannot just gather speed and point the bike in the general direction you want to ride like a fatbike. A little more finesse is needed, but the big tires still help a lot. I do have a Rockshox Bluto on order, which will be interesting to try out when it arrives in July.

If I get the opportunity to do a trip to the fells this summer, it is still likely that I'll put the fat wheels back on. The stability of the fat wheels and tires is not to be underestimated when riding in difficult terrain and bringing all the gear needed for unsupported bikepacking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.