Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!

The Wozo thread doesn't seem to get the love it deserves, perhaps it's because folks don't realize what Kona brought to the table. . .

The 2016 Wozo was a limited run of completes in the USA, but in Canada they had frame sets too

I took a trip to Langley BC to pick up a couple frames (large and medium), cuz I just couldn't decide on sizing.

On paper the Wozo has a huge reach and ETT, which is typical "new" Kona geo, but what I learned is that the sizing is quite normal taken as a whole: bb drop, steep STA, high stack. I normally ride a large frame and the large Wozo fit perfect.

The Wozo has a lot in common with the Honzo, but tweaked to be fat, so unlike it's long legged fat brethren the Wo, the Wozo sports a 420mm chainstay that fits a 4.8 Minion on a 65mm rim and a 29 x 3 Minion! The sliding chainstays can be lengthened by up to 20mm if you feel the urge.

The HTA is listed as 69deg with a 100mm Bluto, but it rides slacker, so maybe someone needs to re-measure. I plan on bumping my Bluto to 120mm, leaving me with a more moderate 68degrees. Seriously, I think this bike could take an even longer fork.

I had some brief play time on 29+ before winter closed in, then it was game on! Today was the inaugral snow ride cold temps and no grooming kept it short, but suffice to say, short chainstays are da bomb on fat! The Wozo is super agile, very fun to ride, manuals are easy, jumping and hopping about like it's a play bike.

Unfortunately the Wozo is hard to find, but if you can get to Canada (or live there), there are a few frames remaining in the werehouse; I also have a medium left over. Edit, I paid $550 CDN plus taxes, gas, and customs; quite the deal for a sweet aluminum frame, so I'm only asking $500USD plus shipping.

Build details: Large Wozo, 100mm Bluto RTC3, CC headset, Onyx Racing hubs 150/177, Surly LM 26 x 65mm rims/WTB Scraper 29 x i45, 4.8/3" Minions, RF Turbine 170mm with Blackspire 26t oval chainring, RF PFT 30mm bb, GX 11sp drivetrain, Sunrace 11-42 cassette, Guide RS brakes, 180mm rotors, RF 150mm dropper, Chromag Ranger 40mm stem, Chromag bars, WTB Pro seat, Spec ergo grips.

Pics: 1) Echo Ridge, 3) Complete build 26 x 4.8 Minions; 2) and 4) frame clearance with 4.8 on Large Marge 65mm rims; 5) 29 x 3 Minions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2016-12-10-22.17.22.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2016-12-08-21.35.13.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2016-12-08-21.34.35.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2016-12-08-21.35.45.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2016-12-08-21.39.30.jpg  

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 12-11-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Chris Bling
    Great liking bike! PM sent!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Needs a wren...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20161211_095246.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice.

As an aside, you are all over the place with bikes. Need a score card to keep up. Wish you were my ADD neighbor so I could stop over and kick the tires on all the new sleds.

mtbr member
    Looks nice! Do you think it would fit a 27.5x4.5 tire in the back? Maybe with the slider back a bit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That frame has a lot more clearance than I thought. I was shying away from it thinking that the 177 rear could only handle 4.0s. Also, I thought 29x3.0s didn't work well with a Bluto.

Looks like a great year-round ride the way you have it set up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sweet build man, I'd 100% have this if I didn't love my Wednesday so much! I'm a big Kona fan. My Paddy Wagon is the daily driver when snow isn't flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Can't wait!

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    How did you like the minions in the snow? Can you compare them to Bud and Lou or other winter tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Kona does make cool bikes! They should have done the Rasta paint job from this one on the Wozo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0302.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Nice.

As an aside, you are all over the place with bikes. Need a score card to keep up. Wish you were my ADD neighbor so I could stop over and kick the tires on all the new sleds.
    Who you calling ADD, thats ADHD to those who know me

I can afford to buy, build, ride, and sell, it's like a hobby...my wife calls it an obsession

mtbr member
    The stock Wo seems pretty nice, too. KONA BIKES | MTB | WO | Wo

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    How did you like the minions in the snow? Can you compare them to Bud and Lou or other winter tires?
    No idea, I've ridden Snowshoe, Larry, BFL, Floaters, JJs, and the Minions. The Floaters worked well, JJs weren't sgabby, in comparision I'd say the Minions have a harder rubber so maybe not as compliant in cold conditions.

Only a few snow rides, so it's hard to compare, esp with the super light 6" of dust on firm we have now.

As to 27.5 x 4.5 fit, yeah, probably , but that would make for one tall arse bike!

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice write up. You confirmed my thoughts on the sizing. Sometimes on paper the numbers don't match but there is no substitute for actually riding the bike to see how it feels. I too am wondering if the frame will accept a 27.5 fat but I am interested if the 27.5x3.8 Hodag would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Looks nice! Do you think it would fit a 27.5x4.5 tire in the back? Maybe with the slider back a bit?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Nice write up. You confirmed my thoughts on the sizing. Sometimes on paper the numbers don't match but there is no substitute for actually riding the bike to see how it feels. I too am wondering if the frame will accept a 27.5 fat but I am interested if the 27.5x3.8 Hodag would fit.
    Oh yeah, if it fits a 4.8 Minion and 29+.....27.5x3.8 will have nice clearance.

Kona needs to offer this as a frame option in the US for 2018!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Kona needs to offer this as a frame option in the US for 2018!
    In steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    I know it's still really early on, but have you considered an angleset to slack the HT a degree?

Affordable Custom Wheels

WNC Native
    dustyduke22- I'm guessing here, you pick up his extra frame?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Chris Bling
    dustyduke22- I'm guessing here, you pick up his extra frame?
    Yup. Just in time for Christmas

Affordable Custom Wheels

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Yup. Just in time for Christmas

NICE!!! Will be interested to hear your thoughts as well!

mtbr member
    If only it had a threaded BB...

So close!

Chris Bling
    If only it had a threaded BB...

So close!
    Just take it to a shop who has one of the new BB threaders. I know King and White have developed a threaded BB to convert a PF to threaded

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Following.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I know it's still really early on, but have you considered an angleset to slack the HT a degree?

Yup, but I'm gonna try the 120mm fork first and see how much the front end pushes in the snow. I have an Angleset sitting....

As to the press fit bb, yeah, sometimes they creak, but this one doesn't.

So threading the BB? That would make the bb proprietary, kinda scary. There's also pf bb's that thread together, if it works I'd think that would be a safer bet.

Steel? No reason to do so unless you want a heavier bike that rusts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Who you calling ADD, thats ADHD to those who know me

I can afford to buy, build, ride, and sell, it's like a hobby...my wife calls it an obsession
    I mean, I know some guys that have several bikes some with all of the latest and greatest, but usually it's 1 maybe 2 bikes a year in any one class. You've had what, 3 FB since September? :chuckles: What kind of miles do you put on a bike, don't think I'd even have the fit dialed in before you flipped it.

How did you end up back on Bluto? Just a placeholder that was knocking around in the garage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-screen-shot-2016-12-12-10.25.20-am.jpg

Im in !

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just curious what you ran for tire pressure in the snow. This is my first go at snow riding with my WoZo. Any advice? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    [QUOTE=nitrousjunky;12953543]Oh yeah, if it fits a 4.8 Minion and 29+.....27.5x3.8 will have nice clearance.

good point and this bike with the 27.5 x 3.8 hodags would be fun to try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    [QUOTE=dustyduke22;12953591]Just take it to a shop who has one of the new BB threaders. I know King and White have developed a threaded BB to convert a PF to threaded

Sent from my SPH

Say what now? I looked up this very issue not that long ago and didn't see a solution. If I could thread my BB shell I'd be set on the Wozo for a long time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I mean, I know some guys that have several bikes some with all of the latest and greatest, but usually it's 1 maybe 2 bikes a year in any one class. You've had what, 3 FB since September? :chuckles: What kind of miles do you put on a bike, don't think I'd even have the fit dialed in before you flipped it.

How did you end up back on Bluto? Just a placeholder that was knocking around in the garage?
    Not three fatties unless you count the Mutz which I sold in late Summer after s year of regular use. The Beargrease was a placeholder until I built a Fatillac, but after riding the Beargrease as an everyday rider I decided it was time for a two bike solution.

The Wozo was a gamble, I wasn't sure it'd fit all my wheels or whether the geo would fit me. Turns out the Wozo is a perfect fit, price was right, swapped parts from the Beargrease and away we go.

I ride a three times a week on average.

The Bluto was cheap, lightweight, functional, and it's also a place holder...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [QUOTE=LFJ;12953813]
    Oh yeah, if it fits a 4.8 Minion and 29+.....27.5x3.8 will have nice clearance.

good point and this bike with the 27.5 x 3.8 hodags would be fun to try.
    Yup, Hodags or Minions, in a 27.5 x 3.8 would be awesome. I'm holding out for Minions cuz then I'd have a matching set

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post

Say what now? I looked up this very issue not that long ago and didn't see a solution. If I could thread my BB shell I'd be set on the Wozo for a long time.
    There is a big article on in on Pinkbike and Vital I believe. Looks like a very good alternative.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nurse Ben, how tall are you?

Chris Bling
    Just for a FYI for anyone who wants to know, the medium Wozo without axle weights 2370 grams.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ben, thanks for the review! What are the BB and headset specifications? I know the BB is pressfit, but don't know which one. If I buy a frame, I would like to use a RaceFace Aeffect Cinch for 170 (177) rear spacing, which uses a 24mm diameter spindle. I believe the stock Wozo build uses this exact crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just for a FYI for anyone who wants to know, the medium Wozo without axle weights 2370 grams.

Not too bad. My 19" Motobecane Sturgis Bullet frame is 2324 grams with seat collar and rear axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Not too bad. My 19" Motobecane Sturgis Bullet frame is 2324 grams with seat collar and rear axle.
    Is that the titanium frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    Is that the titanium frame?
    No, alloy. It's actually a really nice frame with quality welds, fit/finish, internal cable routing, and the geometry is solid with a 100mm Bluto (it's a bit too slack at 65.5 degrees with a 120 Bluto). Unfortunately, the 19" is a little small for me, which is why I'm looking into the Wozo frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, and besides the headset and BB specs, I need to know what rear axle to buy.

mtbr member
    No, alloy. It's actually a really nice frame with quality welds, fit/finish, internal cable routing, and the geometry is solid with a 100mm Bluto (it's a bit too slack at 65.5 degrees with a 120 Bluto). Unfortunately, the 19" is a little small for me, which is why I'm looking into the Wozo frame.
    A friend just bought a Moto Lurch, and I've been really impressed with the frame. It's steel and a little heavier, but the basic build is nice, and for $1,000 (delivered) it's a solid entry into the sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nurse Ben, how tall are you?
    6"/32" inseam, normal torso and reach

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh, and besides the headset and BB specs, I need to know what rear axle to buy.
    177 x 12, 1.75 pitch, 205mm length. I no longer have the specifics, but I sent Dusty the part #, maybe he can paste into a reply...

Same with headset, maybe Dusty can post the specs.

BB is pf92.
    Seatpost is 31.6

Did you find a frame? I called Caps Cyclery in Langley and Kona Canada has a medium and a large remaining, aftet that it's Spring 2017.

I'm probably not going to Canada for more frames, it's too far.

Maybe a friendly and Canadian would be willing to help with shipping?

Chris Bling
    177 x 12, 1.75 pitch, 205mm length. I no longer have the specifics, but I sent Dusty the part #, maybe he can paste into a reply...

Same with headset, maybe Dusty can post the specs.

BB is pf92.
    Seatpost is 31.6

Did you find a frame? I called Caps Cyclery in Langley and Kona Canada has a medium and a large remaining, aftet that it's Spring 2017.

I'm probably not going to Canada for more frames, it's too far.

Maybe a friendly and Canadian would be willing to help with shipping?
    I will get the part number for you in the AM. Headset is a ZS44/ZS56

Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    Axle part number: RS00.4318.009.007 177x12, 1.75 pitch, 20mm thread, 205 length.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome, thank you Ben and dusty Duke! Now to figure out how to get my hands on that axle. A quick Google of that part number comes back empty. Where are you guys buying these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I call Rock Shox/SRAM and they said that is not a part number in their database, and maybe it's "an oem part." I gave him the specs 177 hub, 12x1.75 threads that are 20mm, and 205 length and the only axles he could find were longer (217 and 220 or something)

Chris Bling
    Put in the dimensions and add Trek 157x12.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Put in the dimensions and add Trek 157x12.

Yep, that's the one axle I came up with when I searched the dimensions. So can you confirm that the Trek maxle works on this frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They have it, I talked to RF sales and he said they had #20 units in stock. I ordered it from a dealer who got it from RF using this #:

Rear Skewer SRAM 00.4318.009.007 Maxle Ultimate 12 x 177 OLD 205mm length 1.75mm thread pitch

I have no idea if it's a Trek axle, they have similar dimensions but different part numbers.

I call Rock Shox/SRAM and they said that is not a part number in their database, and maybe it's "an oem part." I gave him the specs 177 hub, 12x1.75 threads that are 20mm, and 205 length and the only axles he could find were longer (217 and 220 or something)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They have it, I talked to RF sales and he said they had #20 units in stock. I ordered it from a dealer who got it from RF using this #:

Rear Skewer SRAM 00.4318.009.007 Maxle Ultimate 12 x 177 OLD 205mm length 1.75mm thread pitch

I have no idea if it's a Trek axle, they have similar dimensions but different part numbers.
    Thank you very much. Maybe a stupid question, but what is "RF" that you are referring to?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast