Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks rvercoe for your detailed answer, I appreciate and specially now while waiting for the bike since I am thinking about an extra wheelset for drier conditions! 2.6 29er or 650b+ is the question, I will not be able to afford both. I am slightly leaning towards 29" wheels since the geometry is spot on for an aggressive hardtail 29er once the head angle has been slacken.

I used this page to calculate the changes in geometry https://bikegeo.muha.cc

strider
    Nov 2010

Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Instead of 2.6 "skinnies", how about some 3" Chupas? Fast and light, not mud tires, but definitely a fun fast tire.

For really ripping on 29+, the Minion 3" is killer.
    NB, I am open to considering that as an option. After running 27.5x3.0s for a season (Nobby Nics) I was less impressed with plus performance than I thought I would be for the increased rolling resistance and agility. I also didn't appreciate the extra drop in BB height.

My favorite set-up so far though are the Minions 27.5x3.8 (FBF/FBR) on 45mmID rims for 3-season all conditions bomber radness. I can conquer anything on those and the 325mm bb height feels just right (yes, I'm still on 175mm cranks). I feel like the Wozo would thrive with 29ers and that 30mmID rims and 2.6s would give enough plush and traction without too much compromise in speed and agility.

I'll take yours and others thoughts on what an ideal 29er set-up might be for summer/race wheels.

On a related note, I'm heading to Grand Junction this weekend to ride the "Lunch Loops" trails. I can't decide on whether to leave the Minion 3.8s on for no-doubts performance or swap over to the NN 3.0s for a lighter and more agility.

Has anyone ridden Lunch Loops and want to offer their 2 cents on tire preference for the Wozo?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    NB, I am open to considering that as an option. After running 27.5x3.0s for a season (Nobby Nics) I was less impressed with plus performance than I thought I would be for the increased rolling resistance and agility. I also didn't appreciate the extra drop in BB height.

My favorite set-up so far though are the Minions 27.5x3.8 (FBF/FBR) on 45mmID rims for 3-season all conditions bomber radness. I can conquer anything on those and the 325mm bb height feels just right (yes, I'm still on 175mm cranks). I feel like the Wozo would thrive with 29ers and that 30mmID rims and 2.6s would give enough plush and traction without too much compromise in speed and agility.

I'll take yours and others thoughts on what an ideal 29er set-up might be for summer/race wheels.

On a related note, I'm heading to Grand Junction this weekend to ride the "Lunch Loops" trails. I can't decide on whether to leave the Minion 3.8s on for no-doubts performance or swap over to the NN 3.0s for a lighter and more agility.

Has anyone ridden Lunch Loops and want to offer their 2 cents on tire preference for the Wozo?
    Trails in GJ are hero dirt right now after some recent moisture. Either choice would work well. I could ride Ikons there right now and not be traction limited. BB height might be the deciding factor depending on how aware of your pedal position you tend to be.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have any of you guys tried the Mastodon at 150mm?

I have my flat bar slammed down with a negative rise stem already. I have a feeling raising it up from the 140mm setting will make the front end too light for steep climbs. I question whether I will really benefit from the additional travel too.

I right now I find I get about 135mm if I land a decent drop. Any of you guys getting closer to the full 140mm travel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't believe I've used all 140mm of travel, but I'm also running the IVA at the 120mm setting for a more progressive spring rate than stock - though I have a feeling most people don't bother to adjust the IVA when going from 120mm to 140mm.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Thanks DLd! That helps. I'll keep an eye on how much precip happens out there tomorrow.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Wozo Review from Fat-Bike.com for those interested: https://fat-bike.com/2018/02/2018-ko...stotle-peters/

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Thanks DLd! That helps. I'll keep an eye on how much precip happens out there tomorrow.
    We got some during the day, but word is they were already good to go yesterday evening.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post

I have my flat bar slammed down with a negative rise stem already. I have a feeling raising it up from the 140mm setting will make the front end too light for steep climbs. I question whether I will really benefit from the additional travel too.

I right now I find I get about 135mm if I land a decent drop. Any of you guys getting closer to the full 140mm travel?
    No Mastodon, but a Bluto @ 120 and still wanted my bars lower.

Syntace Flatforce stem. Looks a bit odd, but gets that bar back down where it sounds you want it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    150mm on my Fatillac and use it all, 140mm on my Wozo and use it all.

If you run a big front end, donít expect it to feel like a road bike.

Nothing wrong with a tall front end, makes it easier to get back and resist gravity, also easier on your back.

Youíll get used to it.

If your front end is lifting youíve a couple options:

Run a longer stem, slide your seat forward, or adjust your riding style; or all of the above.

Bar height is not the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just wanted to reiterate how versatile the Wozo is as I continue to be impressed by this bike. Just finished my 3rd ride with the 29+ and all I can say is WOW! This bike excels with that platform. I call it the Big MF Honzo as it just rips on descents and accelerates on the climbs. Crazy, crazy fun! 2 wheelsets are highly recommended!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How are you guys making your 29+ wheels? Custom jobs or are there some off the shelf stuff available?

If custom, could you give me some ideas on what to get that is not too expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    How are you guys making your 29+ wheels? Custom jobs or are there some off the shelf stuff available?

If custom, could you give me some ideas on what to get that is not too expensive.
    I had mikesee build me up a set. lacemine29.com He's super easy to work with and delivers great customer service. Prices seem fair.

mtbr member
    I just received a 2018 warranty replacement Wozo frame (cracked welds @seatstay to seat tube on the '17). The bike feels much different now, both are size Medium but after reviewing the geometries between the two years the major difference looks to be fork length (at 1cm longer on the 2018). With both bikes running a 100mm Bluto how can the fork length be any different?

I am noticing that the new bike doesn't want to manual as easy as its 2017 brother and I'm guessing this must be the reason? Maybe putting a 120mm airshaft into the bluto would make the bike feel a bit better.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxtrax84 View Post
    I just received a 2018 warranty replacement Wozo frame (cracked welds @seatstay to seat tube on the '17). The bike feels much different now, both are size Medium but after reviewing the geometries between the two years the major difference looks to be fork length (at 1cm longer on the 2018). With both bikes running a 100mm Bluto how can the fork length be any different?

I am noticing that the new bike doesn't want to manual as easy as its 2017 brother and I'm guessing this must be the reason? Maybe putting a 120mm airshaft into the bluto would make the bike feel a bit better.
    I'm pretty sure Kona said the frame is exactly the same and that they just corrected the geometry chart.

mtbr member
    Thanks bdundee!

I also contacted Kona's tech support and they mirrored what you said. It was a typo on their end for the fork length and said they would fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Same frames, no changes other than colors.

I prefer the green, but apparently somebody in the Kona chain of command had a baby boy and decided powder blue was the new black, go figure.

What boggles my mind is Kona has had two years to get on board with 27.5 BFat and long travel forks like the Mastodon, and yet they're still equipping the Wozo with 26" wheels and a Bluto.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxtrax84 View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got one set from Mike Curiak at Lacemine29, the other set I built with parts Mike sent me.

Mike builds a great wheel, but I usually build my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post
    I had mikesee build me up a set. lacemine29.com He's super easy to work with and delivers great customer service. Prices seem fair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New Build

Well - I like the blue....the good thing is that kona sells as frame only - so bfat or whatever is an option...

New bike build in progress. Ignore stem, waiting on a short stack dmr 50 (hoping will work with my short steerer).

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_6009.jpg

Building as lighter bfat with hugo wheels, hodags, and manitou magnum comp. waiting on more parts....

mtbr member
    Nice! Where did you source the frame? My local Kona dealer said they were sold out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like the brown accents, it mutes the baby powder blue 😏

Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Well - I like the blue....the good thing is that kona sells as frame only - so bfat or whatever is an option...

New bike build in progress. Ignore stem, waiting on a short stack dmr 50 (hoping will work with my short steerer).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6009.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	1188759

Building as lighter bfat with hugo wheels, hodags, and manitou magnum comp. waiting on more parts....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bikeman.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Nurse Ben

What boggles my mind is Kona has had two years to get on board with 27.5 BFat and long travel forks like the Mastodon, and yet they're still equipping the Wozo with 26" wheels and a Bluto.[/QUOTE]

I was in Bellingham with my wozo with Mastodon and one of the Kona development team employees stopped to chat with me about the Mastodon and set up. He was saying Kona was definitely considering specíing the Wozo with the Mastodon. I was surprised they have not made the move yet. Perhaps in the end, the question is how many fat tire riders are looking for even more travel and slacker geo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Finished my build! Already realize I should have gone with 29+ rather than 27.5+ so that will be changing soon. Also have 26x4.3 for snow.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-mvimg_20180324_142049.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    Finished my build! Already realize I should have gone with 29+ rather than 27.5+ so that will be changing soon. Also have 26x4.3 for snow.

Name:	MVIMG_20180324_142049.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	1189275

How do you like it as a single speed? What's your gearing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Or get shorter cranks.

Name:	MVIMG_20180324_142049.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	1189275

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So, when will Kona update this frame with even more aggressive geo, a steel frame (ŗ la Honzo), and a threaded BB? :)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For the trails here, single speed is perfect. Nothing too hard to climb. I was riding single speed DJ on trails before. It's spring thaw so only pavement riding right now, but so far it seems good.

I have it set up 32/20 right now and that feels pretty good. I had 34/16 on the DJ with 26" wheels and this feels just about the same.

I have looked at different crank Arms, but there aren't many options for 165 for dm or ss. Seems sram and RaceFace only come in 170 or 175. won't get me a ton of clearance compared to going up a wheel size or tire size.

I do need to dick around with the fork and change the travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

My Wozo

Stoked to share my Wozo.

XL frame with awesome tt length and reach. Built up for $1600...

Bike fits great and is super fun. This is my 3rd fat bike and blows the previous two out of the water for fun!!!

Built myself to go 27.5 fat and like that choice. Quite fond of the skinnier fat bike. Personally, I do not enjoy soft snow that much, and this will be perfect for the packed trail conditions I normally ride....

Fun fact for this build was my first wheel re-build. Rebuilt the stands hugo v2 wheel with a BHS hub. So far so good.....No scale, but much lighter than my Fuel Ex set up with durocs and 29x2.8's....

Oh...I am also drinking the short chainstay cool aid. Manualled through more terrain than any other bike I have owned including all my full suspensions.....Can't believe 420 vs 435 on my fuel makes such a big difference, but sum of the geometry I guess....

Still working on pressure with the hugos and hodags...11 psi in rear was not enough for jumps (225 #)....
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_6200.jpg
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_6197.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SRAM GX Eagle 165mm, 2017 non DUB, 2018 DUB

SRAM Descendent 165mm, 24mm and DUB

For the trails here, single speed is perfect. Nothing too hard to climb. I was riding single speed DJ on trails before. It's spring thaw so only pavement riding right now, but so far it seems good.

I have it set up 32/20 right now and that feels pretty good. I had 34/16 on the DJ with 26" wheels and this feels just about the same.

I have looked at different crank Arms, but there aren't many options for 165 for dm or ss. Seems sram and RaceFace only come in 170 or 175. won't get me a ton of clearance compared to going up a wheel size or tire size.

I do need to dick around with the fork and change the travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's exactly the thing, people just don't seem to understand how much short chainstays change the ride. Literally, it makes average riders into superstars!

Not saying you're average or anything

I love being able to manual on command, esp when I need to manual suddenly; like right before I eat a big rock!

Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Stoked to share my Wozo.

XL frame with awesome tt length and reach. Built up for $1600...

Bike fits great and is super fun. This is my 3rd fat bike and blows the previous two out of the water for fun!!!

Built myself to go 27.5 fat and like that choice. Quite fond of the skinnier fat bike. Personally, I do not enjoy soft snow that much, and this will be perfect for the packed trail conditions I normally ride....

Fun fact for this build was my first wheel re-build. Rebuilt the stands hugo v2 wheel with a BHS hub. So far so good.....No scale, but much lighter than my Fuel Ex set up with durocs and 29x2.8's....

Oh...I am also drinking the short chainstay cool aid. Manualled through more terrain than any other bike I have owned including all my full suspensions.....Can't believe 420 vs 435 on my fuel makes such a big difference, but sum of the geometry I guess....

Still working on pressure with the hugos and hodags...11 psi in rear was not enough for jumps (225 #)....

Name:	IMG_6200.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	1194735

Name:	IMG_6197.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	1194736

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Finished my build! Already realize I should have gone with 29+ rather than 27.5+ so that will be changing soon.
    Duroc 50s? You could keep the wheels and go with 27.5x3.8-4" tires. I've been loving my Wozo with this setup - 29+ is fine but B-lowfat shines on our singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Fun!

Seriously fun bike. Need a dropper ASAP!

Just as fast as my Fuel Ex both up and down my xc/trail trails. Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_6228.jpg

WNC Native
    Nice looking ride there and very similar to the build I'll have on mine (except less gears).

I have a used frame inbound to give a go. Thanks Shinkers!
    I know I've bashed on the geometry a little in the past and no way I'd ever ran one with a 120mm Bluto fork, however we have better fork options now and angleset options.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I put a 125 mm Bikeyoke Revive on mine. Excellent dropper, and well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Still trying to find a frame weight on the Wozo. Does anyone have this?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    From post #485 -
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Size Large - weight w/ headset cups, sliders, axle and QR seatpost clamp - 5.6lbs.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Awesome- thanks!
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My Kona Wozo size medium will be going up for sale soon. Just a heads up in case anyone is looking. I'll post a sale build in the next week or so. Not willing to part it out, that's too much trouble, just buy it the way it is, pretty much perfect bike as it rolls

29+ DT Swiss 350/Duroc 40/Chupas 3" (no fat wheels available)
    GX 11sp drivertrain, Sunrace 11-46, SRAM GX 165mm cranks
    Mastodon Pro 140mm, CC Forty.
    RF 150mm Dropper with sidepaw remote
    XT 8000 brakes
    Stem choices, flat bar
    A seat
    No pedals
    Not sure on the final outfitting as I'm doing other builds concurrently.

The Wozo is great bike, but I no longer need a fat bike, so I'm going to 29+, likely a Stache.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-1bc92a63-b197-436e-aa51-e28ec19cf8e1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I tried to make my Wo into a Wozo for summer, it didn't work... lol

I'm hoping Kona will send me a Wozo frame (and i'll cover the difference) instead.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20180417_201650.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20180501_200230.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    My Large Wozo frame with seat collar (no axle or headset) is 2387 grams (5.26 pounds)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's the state of my Wozo - this spring has mostly seen time on the B-lowfat wheels (Cake Eaters on Kore Realm P45 rims):

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-wozo-18-05-15.jpg

A little while ago I started noticing a creaking in the crank area and figured it was the BB, so I recently ordered the Wheels Manufacturing thread together BB86-FAT to replace the Raceface BB86/92 I used in the original buld.

While removing the crank to install the new BB I found the spider was loose, so this was the actual source of the creak. I'm guessing the repeated knocks on the spider mounted bash ring eventually worked the Cinch lock nut loose. I added blue loctite and retorqued this so hopefully it'll hold.

One of the Raceface BB bearings turned smoothly but the other was pretty gritty so I went ahead and replaced it as planned. I got a little over 200 miles on this bottom bracket, hopefully the thread together BB improves on this.

The Wheels Manufacturing BB installed nicely. I was suprised when the drive side cup slid in without a press and was concerned that the cup would spin while tightening the NDS side, requiring a 2nd BB wrench to install it, but it didn't move and a single wrench did the job.

With the Aeffect cranks I needed 2mm worth of spacers (WM supplies 2x 1mm and 2x .5mm spacers with the BB) on the spindle to eliminate any side-to-side play.

This morning's ride was creak free.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    This morning's ride was creak free.
    Timely post. I, too, just replaced my RF BB on my Affect cranks. Was getting some creaking. I sort of hedged that it was the BB. Things spun freely. I got a lot more mileage than you tho - more like 200+ rides before the creaking started.

Did the wheels mfging angular bearing BB92 FAT thread ins - 24mm. Nifty product. Like you -now I have no noise. I think I only installed 2 .5mm spacers and I don't have play. You need the 48.5mm notched wrench for install - FYI for others. If this product performs as billed, I think it'd be a good choice in the long term. Cross fingers - 20ish rides and alls well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678