Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So a 5' 8" 29" inseam rider would do better on a small vs. medium? I'm having this dilemma as I consider ordering a wozo. The bike shop only has a large in stock, with no plans on getting a medium or small in unless its ordered. 2 different employees disagree somewhat as to which I'd be a better fit. I'd rather only order once of course, so any insight would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam. My small should be here in 4 or 5 days, and I can give you a heads up then. I have a short reach (31.5") so you might have to take that into consideration. I have a Moto Boris X9 in a small and find that to be perfect although I've maxed out a 400mm seatpost, and put on a 35mm stem.

I always get the smallest tool that does the job well and am seldom disappointed. The standover on the Wozo is way higher than the Boris, so that sealed my choice. Will give you a headsup if you can wait.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whahappen View Post
    So a 5' 8" 29" inseam rider would do better on a small vs. medium? I'm having this dilemma as I consider ordering a wozo. The bike shop only has a large in stock, with no plans on getting a medium or small in unless its ordered. 2 different employees disagree somewhat as to which I'd be a better fit. I'd rather only order once of course, so any insight would be appreciated.

I'm just shy of 5'9" with about 31" inseam, very comfy on my small frame with a 55mm stem. If anything for me, I'd even go a bit shorter on the stem on a stock bike. I did put in a -1* headset, so that actually decreased the reach just a touch. Enough that I don't feel the need to swap to the shorter stem. #goldilockshasafatbike

There is only so short you can go with the stem though. If I'd gone medium, and it still felt too long with a super short stem, nothing to be done. 25mm difference in reach between the two sizes.

How do the numbers compare to whatever you are riding at the moment, assuming you like the fit/feel?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

strider
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I don't think he actually took the lowers off as it actually only calls for one spacer below the piston for 140mm travel. I'm thinking he just took the IVA out which is 4 spacers below??

On a side note I took mine out on a proper trail ride (non snow) yesterday and yes at 140mm travel with -1 deg it's a little slack, will be great at the park tho. 120mm with a -1 might be the sweet spot for me as it gives me standover and what seems to be fast enough handling? It could all change once the snow hits and as Ben has recommended I might end up popping the -1 headset out?
    Yeah, I only removed the top IVA cap and rearranged the spacers. I was naively thinking it was that easy to adjust the travel. I have it reset back to stock settings for 120mm.

So, I guess I need to order the Mattoc tool set. Do I also need to get some Pre-bath fluid and shock fluid? I have watched the Mattoc travel adjust videos (which seems to be the closest to the Mastodon) and it looks like I will loose some fluid in the 120-140mm series-up process. Is this correct? Thanks.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    I'm considering a Wozo and concerned on sizing, I'm 6'2", ~34" inseam and normally ride XL frames, current trail bike is ~455mm reach. I was looking at the L Wozo but I'm going to have a lot of seatpost showing from that 18.8" ST, my shortest current ST is 20"...
    I'm 6'2" w/ 34"" inseam. I usually ride 20" traditional Large frames. I've been perfectly happy riding the Large WOZO with a 150mm dropper and a 50mm stem for a year and a half now. I have about 25 mm of post between the dropper collar and the seat post clamp, which is perfect for my tastes to strap a fender around in mucky conditions. I couldn't imagine going XL, especially in winter conditions.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Yeah, I only removed the top IVA cap and rearranged the spacers. I was naively thinking it was that easy to adjust the travel. I have it reset back to stock settings for 120mm.

So, I guess I need to order the Mattoc tool set. Do I also need to get some Pre-bath fluid and shock fluid? I have watched the Mattoc travel adjust videos (which seems to be the closest to the Mastodon) and it looks like I will loose some fluid in the 120-140mm series-up process. Is this correct? Thanks.
    All you will need is the bath oil, some slick honey grease, Mattoc socket set, as well as something to measure the fluid with. You don't actually mess with the damper side. Pretty easy job really.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    ...Will give you a headsup if you can wait.
    Yea, it will be next weekend before I can even think about committing, so if you get a ride or 3 in on yours, it would be nice to hear what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    ...How do the numbers compare to whatever you are riding at the moment, assuming you like the fit/feel?
    The small compares favorably to the medium Fuel EX 8 I'm riding now in stack, reach and stand-over. The seat tube is a bit shorter (1.5" or so) on the wozo in small, and my dropper currently sticks out maybe 3/4" on the Trek. Its only a 120mm, so maybe a longer one would be in order for the wozo. The trek also sports a 45mm stem vs. the 80mm it came with, so maybe that's my sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Will do. Supposed to be here the 29th. I ordered a 2017.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

Yea, it will be next weekend before I can even think about committing, so if you get a ride or 3 in on yours, it would be nice to hear what you think.

The small compares favorably to the medium Fuel EX 8 I'm riding now in stack, reach and stand-over. The seat tube is a bit shorter (1.5" or so) on the wozo in small, and my dropper currently sticks out maybe 3/4" on the Trek. Its only a 120mm, so maybe a longer one would be in order for the wozo. The trek also sports a 45mm stem vs. the 80mm it came with, so maybe that's my sign.
    Based on that, yeah, I'd go small.

No worry on your dropper so long as you aren't past the min insert line.

Would be a very nice complementary ride with your Fuel EX!

Your bike sucks
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-159.jpg

So I got my build complete and did two rides. Super fun - this this is like a barrel of monkeys.. It met my hopes which were significantly higher than my expectations. I have to confess, I've been mired in the negative 1st 3 stages of Fatbiking: Dismissal - Mockery - Hostility - Acceptance - Reward. I get it now. Sorry.

Here it is:

2018 Wozo Size Large
    Mastodon Comp Standard 120mm
    MuleFat 80 SL F/R
    KS 950 5" dropper
    Shimano XT Brakes 180/160
    Shimano XT m8000 drivetrain
    Easton Carbon Havoc bar
    Spank Spike Race stem - 35mm
    Spank Spike pedals
    WTB Silverado Saddle
    CaneCreek HS
    Race Face Aeffect 170mm w/ BB
    Maxxis FBF 4.8 120 TPI Exo tubeless front
    45 North Van Helga 4.0 120 TPI tubeless rear

35lbs

For point of reference, I pieced this build together - without trying too hard - for under $2k. I think it's nicer than stock; a journey man build with no junk parts. Just a few donor parts but selective bargain hunting could have kept it real close $$wise.

Excited about winter

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-155.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	1169385
    I have to confess, I've been mired in the negative 1st 3 stages of Fatbiking: Dismissal - Mockery - Hostility - Acceptance - Reward. I get it now. Sorry.
    Been there too, then I got a fatty, got a second helping when I started hearing about the Foes Mutz, then I got one of them.

Your next stage: Full Suspenion FAT!

Funny thing, I got a Fatillac and the Wozo, no snow to speak of yet, so I got the Hodags on the Wozo... and it's the bike I loaded up this morning. It really is a fun bike, esp with a long travel fork.

So I'm building up my large Wozo for my son, anyone have a source for inexpensive wheels in a 27.5 fat or a 29 mid fat?

I could also build the wheels, got some rims and tires, just need hubs. Anyoen have an opinion on a quality cheapo hub; my son is not a gear abuser yet

It's carbon dontcha know.
    For those who've bought 2018 completes did they come with tubeless valves and/or tokens for the Bluto?

Trying to line up some purchases to align with a couple of bikes which might be heading in my and my wifes direction
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got tokens for the Bluto, but not valve stems or tubeless rim tape. There are cable clips to route a dropper, but mine were missing so I had to pick them up from the shop later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Name:	159.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	1169385

So I got my build complete and did two rides. Super fun - this this is like a barrel of monkeys.. It met my hopes which were significantly higher than my expectations. I have to confess, I've been mired in the negative 1st 3 stages of Fatbiking: Dismissal - Mockery - Hostility - Acceptance - Reward. I get it now. Sorry.

Here it is:

2018 Wozo Size Large
    Mastodon Comp Standard 120mm
    MuleFat 80 SL F/R
    KS 950 5" dropper
    Shimano XT Brakes 180/160
    Shimano XT m8000 drivetrain
    Easton Carbon Havoc bar
    Spank Spike Race stem - 35mm
    Spank Spike pedals
    WTB Silverado Saddle
    CaneCreek HS
    Race Face Aeffect 170mm w/ BB
    Maxxis FBF 4.8 120 TPI Exo tubeless front
    45 North Van Helga 4.0 120 TPI tubeless rear

35lbs

For point of reference, I pieced this build together - without trying too hard - for under $2k. I think it's nicer than stock; a journey man build with no junk parts. Just a few donor parts but selective bargain hunting could have kept it real close $$wise.

Excited about winter

Name:	155.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	1169386
    Sweet build.
    Stupid question....why run the smaller rear tire?

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Sweet build.
    Stupid question....why run the smaller rear tire?
    Thanks for the compliment. Not a stupid question... A few reasons...1) that's the spec that Kona sells on their complete bike - thought that would be a good starting point 2) my preference on trail bikes has me with a slightly more volume front than rear 3) I barely know what I'm doing on Fat configs

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Your next stage: Full Suspenion FAT!
    Heh. One step at a time. First I have a lot to learn, figure out and discover. Like - what is the optimal tire size for sporting trail riding where you get that redonkulous fat feel, can still explore the sand washes but pick up some sporty feel at the tires? Things like that.

Really been impressed w/ this tho. First few min of completing it, did a nice wheelie down the street (yet to be matched unfortunately) and trail riding brought out some surprising long (but low) manuals. Do pretty much the same hits, jumps and boosters that'd do on the trail bike (not forcing them either - naturally gravitates to them) plus some good, fast longish trail jumps with recklessness cause you know you're going to stick it once those big meats make contact. I thought this would feel more circus side show but it has a great sensation to it that doesn't feel like you are cramming a square peg in a round hole. The only downside so far is the q-factor. On the trail - manageable cause I move around a lot. But hit a longish flat fire road and that blew up any fantasies of making a fat a quiver killer/go to bike. I know there are some especially narrow fat bikes; so it will remain to be seen if I'd be willing to trade the Wozo geo in favor of prioritizing the narrower Q factor. These RaceFace cranks are pretty far on the wide side so I'll work on getting sorted on the Wozo in time. blah blah blah... meantime... FUN

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its really not as wide as you think, only 1/2 per side. You cranks may worsen the factor depending on which ones youre running. Tightest and best fit is the Race Face Next SL.

I only have fat bikes and I routinely do all day epics with no issues.

Thanks for the compliment. Not a stupid question... A few reasons...1) that's the spec that Kona sells on their complete bike - thought that would be a good starting point 2) my preference on trail bikes has me with a slightly more volume front than rear 3) I barely know what I'm doing on Fat configs

Heh. One step at a time. First I have a lot to learn, figure out and discover. Like - what is the optimal tire size for sporting trail riding where you get that redonkulous fat feel, can still explore the sand washes but pick up some sporty feel at the tires? Things like that.

Really been impressed w/ this tho. First few min of completing it, did a nice wheelie down the street (yet to be matched unfortunately) and trail riding brought out some surprising long (but low) manuals. Do pretty much the same hits, jumps and boosters that'd do on the trail bike (not forcing them either - naturally gravitates to them) plus some good, fast longish trail jumps with recklessness cause you know you're going to stick it once those big meats make contact. I thought this would feel more circus side show but it has a great sensation to it that doesn't feel like you are cramming a square peg in a round hole. The only downside so far is the q-factor. On the trail - manageable cause I move around a lot. But hit a longish flat fire road and that blew up any fantasies of making a fat a quiver killer/go to bike. I know there are some especially narrow fat bikes; so it will remain to be seen if I'd be willing to trade the Wozo geo in favor of prioritizing the narrower Q factor. These RaceFace cranks are pretty far on the wide side so I'll work on getting sorted on the Wozo in time. blah blah blah... meantime... FUN

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Small.

I have four inches height and three inches inseam on you; I ride a medium. My son is 65/34 inseam, Im building him a large; he could probably ride an XL, but he liked the large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Small.

I have four inches height and three inches inseam on you; I ride a medium. My son is 65/34 inseam, Im building him a large; he could probably ride an XL, but he liked the large.
    Thanks all for the advice. One thing I've figured out with research over the past few days is that a bike inseam measurement is different from the pants measurement. So I'm probably between 30"-31" inseam for a bike. Doesn't change what I'd get for a frame size, but it's a good thing to note for any future questions to the thread.

Your bike sucks
    Its really not as wide as you think, only 1/2 per side. You cranks may worsen the factor depending on which ones youre running. Tightest and best fit is the Race Face Next SL.

I only have fat bikes and I routinely do all day epics with no issues.
    All but guarantee that I'm more sensitive to Q-factor than you. On my trail bike, the widest I can handle is 168 and my racing days max was 156. Even 172 = nope, pain and .5" is a country mile in Q-factor. I actually had hip pain yesterday after fat biking it over the weekend - not sure it was the fit but I think so. So we'll see. But - looking at stuuupid RF chart:

I think there's only 2 spindle options that fit... depending on 30mm vs. 24mm then the cranks...

NextSL - 30mm - RF 169 spindle which brings you a 203mm QFactor
    Aefect - 24mm - XCF100 spindle which brings you to a 205mm QFactor

I have the Aefect & I didn't see my crank spindle marked when I installed it so I'll need to double check this is the case but it seems right given the clearance of crank arm to chain stay. I might be fighting for a few mm which might be like throwing $$ into the ocean and farting in a windstorm at the same time.

Regardless, it's an impressive bike. Just probably not going to be an all day/everyday one for me - which is fine - I have a garage full to pick from.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Measure the distance between the crank arm at the pedal spindle and the chainstay, I'll do the same for my Next SL.

I think the difference between the Next SL and Aefect is more than 2mm as the Turbine and Aefect are simmilar design with different spindles; the Turbine is 10mm wider than the Next SL.

You might also want to try a shorter crank.

Needs pics of the garage

All but guarantee that I'm more sensitive to Q-factor than you. On my trail bike, the widest I can handle is 168 and my racing days max was 156. Even 172 = nope, pain and .5" is a country mile in Q-factor. I actually had hip pain yesterday after fat biking it over the weekend - not sure it was the fit but I think so. So we'll see. But - looking at stuuupid RF chart:

I think there's only 2 spindle options that fit... depending on 30mm vs. 24mm then the cranks...

NextSL - 30mm - RF 169 spindle which brings you a 203mm QFactor
    Aefect - 24mm - XCF100 spindle which brings you to a 205mm QFactor

I have the Aefect & I didn't see my crank spindle marked when I installed it so I'll need to double check this is the case but it seems right given the clearance of crank arm to chain stay. I might be fighting for a few mm which might be like throwing $$ into the ocean and farting in a windstorm at the same time.

Regardless, it's an impressive bike. Just probably not going to be an all day/everyday one for me - which is fine - I have a garage full to pick from.

Your bike sucks
    Measure the distance between the crank arm at the pedal spindle and the chainstay, I'll do the same for my Next SL.

Needs pics of the garage
    Thanks. This is really helpful. I'm running 170mm cranks so I'm probably keeping that length. I measured from outside of crank arm (pedal flush) to the chainstay with the arms and cs parallel... Here's what I got:

17mm Drive side
    23mm Non-Drive side

The discrepency may be due to me installing the BB w/out a drive side spacer.. There's a 2.5mm that may be needed; I see it referenced on the chart when I rechecked - but, interestingly, there's no play or movement in the cranks arms so I just left it until I found out for sure. Someone else mentioned they didn't have any spacers installed.

Here's my cramped, old garage (perk of mtn living?) - trying desperately to downsize my fleet:

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-003.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Umm, yeah, you either need a much bigger garage, more time to ride (think retirement), or you need to have a garage sale

As to spacers, you should reduce the spacers until the adjustment washer cannot take up the space; ie spindle is loose, then add a thin spacer.

The Next SL have a much tighter clearance to the chainstays, just by memory it's about 8-10mm per side.

Somewhere I documented it, might be back a few pages in this thread...

Edit: Found this in a post I made last spring: "I'm running RF Next SL Cinch 170mm carbon cranks they are slightly narrower than the RF Turbine (~6mm per side), chainstay clearance is 9-10mm. You can check the RF site to see the q factors."

So based on your measurements of the Aefect crank, you could reduce you overall qfactor by almost an inch! You'll need a spindle and crankset. No need to buy the newest Next cranks, SL are good stuff.

I'd suggest the SRAM GX Eagle, but I don't know the q factor on those cranks. Seems like the Next SL was the best.

Thanks. This is really helpful. I'm running 170mm cranks so I'm probably keeping that length. I measured from outside of crank arm (pedal flush) to the chainstay with the arms and cs parallel... Here's what I got:

17mm Drive side
    23mm Non-Drive side

The discrepency may be due to me installing the BB w/out a drive side spacer.. There's a 2.5mm that may be needed; I see it referenced on the chart when I rechecked - but, interestingly, there's no play or movement in the cranks arms so I just left it until I found out for sure. Someone else mentioned they didn't have any spacers installed.

Here's my cramped, old garage (perk of mtn living?) - trying desperately to downsize my fleet:

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1169696

Your bike sucks
    Edit: Found this in a post I made last spring: "I'm running RF Next SL Cinch 170mm carbon cranks they are slightly narrower than the RF Turbine (~6mm per side), chainstay clearance is 9-10mm. You can check the RF site to see the q factors."
    Heh - my coworkers would say that I act like I'm retired.

Anyway - I think I'm close to your Next cranks measurement-wise tho. Originally, I measured from outside of crank arm to the chain stay - figured if comparing apples to apples, this would account for differing thickness of the crank arms themselves (which impacts the Qfactor). Anyway - just measuring inner of crank arm to CS (clearance) is this:

DS - 5mm
    NDS - 11mm

I need to process on your spacer recommendation. Spindle/arms don't have movement but I have to believe they intended for a 2.5mm drive side spacer between the BB Cup and the frame.

Ok - gotta go ride so stalk-mode off. Cheers and thanks.

Rear hub on the stock build is listed as a Formula 177x12mm, has anyone got a link to a compatible XD freehub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Got the bike and first impressions are exactly what I thought it would be. Just short trial rides to get dialed in. As far as standover goes, I would not want it to be any higher, and again, I'm a solid 30" inseam. I'm using all of a 400 mm seatpost on the small, and there's just enough room, but I'd welcome another 2" like on my other bikes.

Bike is fun and was 32.8 lbs stock w/o pedals (that's point 8, not 8 oz.). Don't know what tubes are in it, but anticipating another 2 lbs. off depending on tubes.

Changed out stem, bars, and grips, should be close to a wash on those. The new stem has a rise and is a 35mm (I think) for a little more upright position. The stock stem was 60mm.

Kona bar, grips, stem and WT B Volt seat are going up for sale.

Hope this helps you cement your size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    First single track today. Rain let up for a morning break.

Ran the chain stays almost all the way forward just to see. Climbs like a goat. I was able to stay in the saddle and did not have to resort to pulling up on the handlebars for traction on the steep climbs wet leaf covered sections.

Quite nimble and did not seem to handle at all like my Boris. Faster in and out of turns, more like a true trail bike. Was much easier leaning it over. I was not expecting this with the Bluto. Aside from seeing a 4.8" tire in front of me, there was no indication of handling that would be any different than having a 2+" tire except for everything that a fat tire is great for.

The only con that I can say is pedal strikes. Had them over places I never have had them before. That's going to require a little more planning as I roll over roots. All frame sizes have the same BB height (307). A shorter crank arm would help. Also please note that I was running low pressures that sucked up some of the tire height.

The Q factor is just about where it needs to be with the rear stays. I had a couple of hits on the drive side, but soon adjusted. I'm not sure what would happen with a narrower Q. I don't think that I'll be looking for anything other than a 177 rear.

Expect to drop a couple of more pounds when my Schraeder valves come in and I go tubeless.

This is by far the best bike I've had.

Loved the way it rode and handled. Was well worth the purchase. Glad I started following this thread.

Your bike sucks
    Aside from seeing a 4.8" tire in front of me, there was no indication of handling that would be any different than having a 2+" tire except for everything that a fat tire is great for.

This is by far the best bike I've had.

Loved the way it rode and handled. Was well worth the purchase. Glad I started following this thread.
    Congrats. I concur w/ your take and really am digging mine too. It's good to hear of others who get this bike and are enjoying it. Not sure if you are a wheelie guy but, if you are, you are in for a treat cause it wheelies like mad. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SRAM GX Eagle 165 cranks are sweet, Ive got one set, the second set is on order from Germany, still not available in the states.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just checking in here for a long-term update. I built this bike in early February (see my posts on the 2nd page of this thread) and it has been the only mtb I've ridden all year, other than rentals while on vacation. I'm running it as 29+ with a 120mm Bluto, and this setup is awesome.

There was some discussion a few months ago here about the geometry and how it compares to other fat bikes like the Beargrease. The figures that are truly unique to this frame are the low bottom bracket height, the long front-center, and the steep seat-tube angle. We already know about that crazy short rear-center! Yes, you can run other frames 29+ with a 120mm fork, but you'll end up with a stupid high BB and slack STA, which would make keeping the front tire down a nightmare on climbs. The long front-center provides excellent stability and downhill confidence, while the short rear allows you to still manage the really tight switchbacks up and down (the trails around here are very tight).

From a 29+ perspective, I think the only frame better out there at the moment is the Trek Stache, because of the narrower q-factor, and the lower weight of carbon. But then of course you won't be able to run fat-bike tires, and a lot of people complain of excessive rear triangle flex when climbing out of the saddle (I'm a clyde, so that's a real concern for me). The Stache geometry numbers are almost identical to the Wozo. The head tube angle is spot-on, IMHO. Any slacker would slow the steering too much. Remember, big tires- whether you are running 26x4.5+, 27.5x3.5+, or 29x3.0- all substantially increase the mechanical trail of the bike compared to "normal" 29" or even 27.5x3.0 tires. Sure, a degree slacker would still work okay, but at that point you'll experience diminishing returns.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm smitten with this frame. The only thing I would ask Kona to change is to thread the BB shell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Got the bike and first impressions are exactly what I thought it would be. Just short trial rides to get dialed in. As far as standover goes, I would not want it to be any higher, and again, I'm a solid 30" inseam. I'm using all of a 400 mm seatpost on the small, and there's just enough room, but I'd welcome another 2" like on my other bikes.

Bike is fun and was 32.8 lbs stock w/o pedals (that's point 8, not 8 oz.). Don't know what tubes are in it, but anticipating another 2 lbs. off depending on tubes.

Changed out stem, bars, and grips, should be close to a wash on those. The new stem has a rise and is a 35mm (I think) for a little more upright position. The stock stem was 60mm.

Kona bar, grips, stem and WT B Volt seat are going up for sale.

Hope this helps you cement your size.
    Awesome to hear your two reports! Glad you're liking the bike. I got my buddy into the shop yesterday to ride their large, and he also really enjoyed the bike vs. the other fatbikes hes ridden. So while we were both ready to order, a medium for him and a small for me, it seems smalls are hard to get. So the shop will be calling around Monday morning to hopefully get a hold of one, then we can talk numbers. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome to hear your two reports! Glad you're liking the bike. I got my buddy into the shop yesterday to ride their large, and he also really enjoyed the bike vs. the other fatbikes hes ridden. So while we were both ready to order, a medium for him and a small for me, it seems smalls are hard to get. So the shop will be calling around Monday morning to hopefully get a hold of one, then we can talk numbers. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Best of luck. The shop that I bought mine from said that any anyone that wanted one should get on the list asap, and I was looking for an XL for a friend of mine. Was lucky enough to get the last small in a 2017.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Side note: Tubes out of Wozo 30.7 oz for the pair. 32.2 lbs complete bike with 400mm Thudbuster, Pedals, Swept Handlebars and Ergon grips. No Stans yet. Dropper post should be the same weight.
    Last edited by Bumpyride; 12-03-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: additional

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    ^^^
    Older post, worth revisiting the link.
    Cool build

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    ^^^
    Older post, worth revisiting the link.
    Cool build
    I like the orange bits and the paint but otherwise it's just ok.

Your bike sucks
    A little stoke time... So I think the Wozo is going to kill my HT Plus bike off...it's a better trail experience. Probably a myriad of reasons - fit, geo, capabilities but the bottom line is it's more fun - rode the plus today and felt like it was going back in time...not in a good Dr. Who way. This is coming from a guy who figured he'd fart around a little in the snow here and there and maybe ride some Arroyos a couple of times a year but never in a million years thought I'd want to reach for this bike to trail ride (like all the time). oh man....

Edit: local pics

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-002.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-004.jpg
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 12-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.

A little stoke time... So I think the Wozo is going to kill my HT Plus bike off...it's a better trail experience. Probably a myriad of reasons - fit, geo, capabilities but the bottom line is it's more fun - rode the plus today and felt like it was going back in time...not in a good Dr. Who way. This is coming from a guy who figured he'd fart around a little in the snow here and there and maybe ride some Arroyos a couple of times a year but never in a million years thought I'd want to reach for this bike to trail ride (like all the time). oh man....

Edit: local pics
    Build up another wheelset for the Wozo in a + size-way, and ditch the hardtail. It's what I've done, and am quite happy with the arrangement!

27.5 2.8 Magic Mary front/2.6 Nobby Nic rear built up on the same hubs, but 34mmIW rims vs. the 65mm Marge Lites on the fat wheels makes a huge difference! Same cassette and rotors on on both wheels, all lines up and makes for a super fast and easy swap.

Was pleased to find the Jumbo Jim 4.8 fit in back with the sliders all the way back! I won't mind the longer stays with these on/in snow anyhow. Way lighter and faster than the Floater it replaced, though I'm sure the traction may lack a bit. Also picked up a 4.4 JJ, but really don't think it'll get much use.

Measures 110mmon a Marge Lite. The Bud up front on same rims is 115mm.

If I want a skinnier non-snow setup, I just toss the mid-fat wheels/tires on and move the sliders back up. A few seconds with a 6mm and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anybody looking for a Large 2017 Wozo(green color) there is one left sitting on the showroom floor up here in Ontario Canada at the bike shop Outspokin Cycle in London Ontario Canada!!! If you want it give them a call!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    27.5 2.8 Magic Mary front/2.6 Nobby Nic rear built up on the same hubs, but 34mmIW rims vs. the 65mm Marge Lites on the fat wheels makes a huge difference!
    Holy Low Bottom Bracket, Batman! No way I could get away with that. I'm looking at 27.5x3.8 as the smallest diameter rear wheel but would like to try 29x3 also.

Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Holy Low Bottom Bracket, Batman! No way I could get away with that. I'm looking at 27.5x3.8 as the smallest diameter rear wheel but would like to try 29x3 also.
    Nah. Not an issue.

A few mm lower than stock. The bike sags down less with the skinny tires compared to the fats. Having my Bluto at 120mm vs. stock 100mm is a help.

All said and done, on the bike riding - my functional BBH is within a couple mm on both setups.

Riding a low BBH is like any other bike skill. Picking good lines, moving the bike around, timing pedals becomes more important.

mtbr member
    Glad it works for you! I'm sitting about an inch higher and the bash guard is a necessity.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_20171207_230117347.jpg

Your bike sucks
    The important thing here guys is that you have the same measuring tape. A festivus miracle!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you run a longer fork and shorter cranks, pedal strike is not a problem. Mastodon 140mm and GX Eagle 165mm

Festivus for the rest of us!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you run a longer fork and shorter cranks, pedal strike is not a problem. Mastodon 140mm and GX Eagle 165mm

Festivus for the rest of us!
    Festivus pole is completely decorated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-festivus.jpg  

I don't remember seeing mention in this thread, anyone running a frame bag, half or full?

Looking for medium and large frames.

aka bOb
    I don't remember seeing mention in this thread, anyone running a frame bag, half or full?

Looking for medium and large frames.
    I'm running one from a med Pugs on a med Wozo, it fits just ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-25073392_2168437593181748_3287743826134359059_o-1-.jpg  

I'm running one from a med Pugs on a med Wozo, it fits just ok.
    Thanks - I'd glanced at those and had meant to hunt for the measurements as it looked a good shape.

aka bOb
    Thanks - I'd glanced at those and had meant to hunt for the measurements as it looked a good shape.
    I would have to look at the measurements as a size down might work better but it's what I had. Like I said it just fits ok, gets the job done but not perfect my no means.

I would have to look at the measurements as a size down might work better but it's what I had. Like I said it just fits ok, gets the job done but not perfect my no means.
    The small measurements look better for the medium Wozo, medium for the large.

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...t_Chart_v2.pdf

aka bOb
    After a bunch of saddle time I'm really liking mine set at 120mm travel with a -1 deg headset. 140mm travel with a -1 is just a tad slack for this hombre but thinking it might be nice next summer for park riding.

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Revelate/Surly size #3 bag (taken off a Medium Pugsley) fits well on a Large Wozo frame. I am going to try the same one on my Medium frame.

Tried a lot of other frame bags (Salsa etc.) but none really fit my Medium Wozo all that well.

Interested to hear what solutions others have found.

Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Revelate/Surly size #3 bag (taken off a Medium Pugsley) fits well on a Large Wozo frame. I am going to try the same one on my Medium frame.

Tried a lot of other frame bags (Salsa etc.) but none really fit my Medium Wozo all that well.

Interested to hear what solutions others have found.
    I've got a #3 Surly bag on the way for my large, trying to decide if I should get a #1 for my wifes medium.

aka bOb
    I've got a #3 Surly bag on the way for my large, trying to decide if I should get a #1 for my wifes medium.
    I don't know, just looking mine over I would prolly go with a 2?? Tough call but 8" just seems awful short for the seat tube measurement. Mine does follow the curve in the seat tube fairly nicely, I will take some better pics when I get home in a few hours.

I don't know, just looking mine over I would prolly go with a 2?? Tough call but 8" just seems awful short for the seat tube measurement. Mine does follow the curve in the seat tube fairly nicely, I will take some better pics when I get home in a few hours.
    I was worried that the 17.5" along the top and 10.5" along the seat tube might be too much for a #2 on a medium Wozo, I've measured it to 17 and 10" inside the front triangle. Definitely interested to see more pics of yours and to know which size bag it is you have, thank you.

Your bike sucks
    Definitely interested to see more pics of yours and to know which size bag it is you have, thank you.
    This is a helpful discussion... Thanks. Didn't know the Surly and Revelate were the same; I was looking a the Ranger. Anyway - more than likely - if I go for this level of bling, I'll probably do the BedRock Custom. They are local and will take measurements directly on your bike to construct your bag. I like that. Any one using one? I'd assume the custom fit should be pretty legit...

aka bOb
    As far as I can tell this is a 3 from the measurements. I know it was ordered for a med pugs back in 2011 and on a med Wozo. I'm pretty sure if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I would prolly replace it with a 2 but it works fine. Sorry some are sideways but should give you a good idea of fit, hopefully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20171211_113859.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20171211_113852.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20171211_113913.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20171211_113905.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20171211_113845.jpg  

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bdundee again.

I've a #3 on the way for my large and a #2 for the medium that's my wifes.

aka bOb

I've a #3 on the way for my large and a #2 for the medium that's my wifes.
    Cool hopefully it works out, keep us posted please.

#2 Surly is a near perfect fit for the medium Wozo.

Still waiting for my #3 to turn up for my large.

aka bOb
    #2 Surly is a near perfect fit for the medium Wozo.

Still waiting for my #3 to turn up for my large.
    Good to know, thanks for the update!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

New Wozo day!

My small Wozo finally made it! Was delayed a couple days due to weather it seems, but now its finally here, and I took it on its maiden ride in a (short) snow storm!

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_2008.jpg

Yep, its box stock for now, I'll probably swap some small stuff around here and there and just enjoy it for the time being. Tonight was a pretty slow roll, so I still have some getting used to it at higher speed. Thanks for the responses about picking the size, a small fits pretty good from the get go, very similar to the Fuel EX 8. Supposedly it was the last 2018 small frame Wozo Kona had available. So if more smalls pop up later, they made another run, or my bike shop was BSing me .

Anyways, a couple questions:
    1. Any better snow tires than the Minions? The deeper fresh powder wasn't their strong suit. Not that I'll run right out and buy new tires, but if I see something on the facebook traders, I'd keep an eye out.

2. 165mm cranks, is an Eagle set ok to run on an 11 speed, or am I looking for an 11 speed specific set? Seems only the chain ring would be different, but there's a myriad of different crank sets, want the correct one the first try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes on the cranks, I run em on my Fatillac, they are 10-11-12sp compatible. But, they are on backorder everywhere; I'm waiting on a set for my Wozo from Germany (Bike24), ETA 12/20/2017.

I'd say order a set and wait.

Tires are personal preference. I like the Minions, you just need to run them low PSI. If you have a 4.0 in the rear, that will definitely limit traction, maybe go with something wider and softer?

My small Wozo finally made it! Was delayed a couple days due to weather it seems, but now its finally here, and I took it on its maiden ride in a (short) snow storm!

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1172303

Yep, its box stock for now, I'll probably swap some small stuff around here and there and just enjoy it for the time being. Tonight was a pretty slow roll, so I still have some getting used to it at higher speed. Thanks for the responses about picking the size, a small fits pretty good from the get go, very similar to the Fuel EX 8. Supposedly it was the last 2018 small frame Wozo Kona had available. So if more smalls pop up later, they made another run, or my bike shop was BSing me .

1. Any better snow tires than the Minions? The deeper fresh powder wasn't their strong suit. Not that I'll run right out and buy new tires, but if I see something on the facebook traders, I'd keep an eye out.

2. 165mm cranks, is an Eagle set ok to run on an 11 speed, or am I looking for an 11 speed specific set? Seems only the chain ring would be different, but there's a myriad of different crank sets, want the correct one the first try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Congrats on the new ride, enjoy! I was considering buying a small Wozo, and yes they are out of stock. Only frame sets available through Bikeman. I guess I'll be staying with my current 9:zero:7 this season as building a Wozo frame up is out of my budget

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1172303

#3 Surly frame bag is a near perfect fit for the large Wozo.

Finally got out on my Wozo for the first time yesterday and had a blast in the snow. My wife has been loving riding hers for the last couple of weeks too.

I've a spare HG (Shimano) freehub from the stock wheels if anyone needs a spare at reasonable cost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-0bc8913f-09ac-4d21-94c9-aeed6fe978d0.jpg

Building my Large Wozo for the kid, 29+, Mastodon Comp STD 140mm, lots of bin parts, shes gonna be a big ride! Pics later if I can figure out how to reduce the size on my phone
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 12-23-2017 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Building my Large Wozo for the kid, 29+, Mastodon Comp STD 140mm, lots of bin parts, shes gonna be a big ride! Pics later if I can figure out how to reduce the size on my phone
    I think you said you are on a medium? I am 511 with long arms a torso. Kind of curious what size wozo I would run with a short stem. I have a L Wednesday.
    Last edited by Wilbyman; 12-23-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Im 6, 32 inseam, long arms, riding a medium with a 60mm stem, and the seat centered.

The large is long and tall, stand over with 29+ and 27.5 x 4.5 has the top tube pressed into the boyz.

I rode a large with a 40mm stem and the seat all the way forward, it was definitely rideable, but stand over in the snow was bad and it really stretched me out; ie lots of weight on my hands.

In all other bikes I ride a large.

My son is 65, 34-35 inseam, I built him a large with 29+, hell ride with a 45-60mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbyman View Post
    I think you said you are on a medium? I am 511 with long arms a torso. Kind of curious what size wozo I would run with a short stem. I have a L Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Im 6, 32 inseam, long arms, riding a medium with a 60mm stem, and the seat centered.

The large is long and tall, stand over with 29+ and 27.5 x 4.5 has the top tube pressed into the boyz.

I rode a large with a 40mm stem and the seat all the way forward, it was definitely rideable, but stand over in the snow was bad and it really stretched me out; ie lots of weight on my hands.

In all other bikes I ride a large.

My son is 65, 34-35 inseam, I built him a large with 29+, hell ride with a 45-60mm stem.
    Thanks, we are probably pretty close in fit. L sounds a bit big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbyman View Post
    Thanks, we are probably pretty close in fit. L sounds a bit big.
    When I first built a Wozo, I was running a 100mm fork, it really didnt feel that tall. When I bumped to a 120mm fork and started running taller wheels, things got dicey. Now that Im running a 140mm fork, theres no way I can ride a large and still have a sex life

My wife is 5'11" on a medium, saddle slightly back, I'm 6'2" on a large. Stock seatpost wasn't long enough for me as it's only ~340mm, a 367mm would have worked.

We both went to E.13 droppers though, so I guess I should sell the stock Kona seatpost and saddles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just installed my second E.13 post, really easy install, work great, fair price.

My wife is 5'11" on a medium, saddle slightly back, I'm 6'2" on a large. Stock seatpost wasn't long enough for me as it's only ~340mm, a 367mm would have worked.

We both went to E.13 droppers though, so I guess I should sell the stock Kona seatpost and saddles.

Just installed my second E.13 post, really easy install, work great, fair price.
    A little tricky to get a cable end cap on the shifter end of the cable.
    My post isn't always locking in place at full height when I raise it either, I need to investigate why.

mtbr member
    My post isn't always locking in place at full height when I raise it either, I need to investigate why.
    Make sure your seat post clamp isn't too tight - reviews I read said this would cause problems with full extension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, Its a little fiddle, but its nothing compared to a 9.8.

Full return works best from a couple positions down. Id like a stronger spring.

aka bOb
    The perfect post isn't sounding so perfect, not sure if such a dropper exists yet??

Edit: That would be cool if they would offer different springs.

There's supposedly a stronger spring available - I'm going to check with them after the holidays to see if mine already has it.

aka bOb
    There's supposedly a stronger spring available - I'm going to check with them after the holidays to see if mine already has it.
    If not could a person add a small spacer on the top or bottom of the factory spring? Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The perfect post isn't sounding so perfect, not sure if such a dropper exists yet??

Edit: That would be cool if they would offer different springs.
    The Bike yoke Revive is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    After a good few months on my Wozo and mostly in the snow I can say that this is the most fun I have ever had on a fat bike and I have had a bunch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I cant afford to pay you every time you pimp the Wozo

After a good few months on my Wozo and mostly in the snow I can say that this is the most fun I have ever had on a fat bike and I have had a bunch.

aka bOb
    HA!!

I swear this thing is part kangaroo.

mtbr member

Damnit Man! I've been on the fence about leaving the steel Bully behind and jumping on the Wozo. If it rides anything like a EPO/Honzo, but on snow, I know I'd love it. Next season it'll be mine.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Damnit Man! I've been on the fence about leaving the steel Bully behind and jumping on the Wozo. If it rides anything like a EPO/Honzo, but on snow, I know I'd love it. Next season it'll be mine.
    Yeah I really liked ti bully and it did super great in the fluff but this bike is a lot more fun on groomed singletrack. Heck it seems a little more jumpy than my HD3. So playful the other day I got pretty good air going up a short climb. I had a Process 111 for awhile and Kona just has their geometry dialed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Name:	0BC8913F-09AC-4D21-94C9-AEED6FE978D0.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	1173919

I'd love to see a couple pics of your boy on the bike. He's a tad taller than me (I'm 6'4" ~36" inseam). I've read over this thread a couple times and the Wozo looks awesome for sure but like many people the sizing is throwing me a bit. I normally ride a XL/20"+ST/the biggest they make so I naturally looked at the XL Wozo first but the posts here really make me think I may want to ride a large before deciding.

Heck, the large is bigger (top tube and reach) than both my current fat and skinny XL bikes! But, I feel cramped on both of those with a 50mm stem and I feel a bit wonky with 70-80mm stems. Wonky being a technical term for it steers funny and I tend to get too much weight over the front in turn with the long stems.

I'm sure I could ride either but choices really complicate things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
    Heck, the large is bigger (top tube and reach) than both my current fat and skinny XL bikes! But, I feel cramped on both of those with a 50mm stem and I feel a bit wonky with 70-80mm stems.
    Would recommend sizing by top tube length / reach but in general size down on the Wozo. My M Wozo is also longer in the top tube than my other L sized bikes and fits great despite needing a 400mm seat post. The upside is the stand over which is needed if you ride in deep snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No pics that would help your decision, but he was comfortable on the bike and didn't look cramped.

The Wozo is really long and has a fairly high standover, so going a size down is a good idea. I rode a large for a season, it was doable, but I was really stretched out and standover was an issue with tall wheels and in the snow.

The Medium Wozo has a longer reach by an inch than my large Fatillac. I ran a 35mm stem on my large Wozo and I run a 60mm stem on my medium Wozo, so reach is nearly the same, but I gained some standover.

I'm pretty sure you can run a 175mm dropper on a large Wozo if you have enough inseam.

I think I built my son's Wozo with a 45mm stem. He had the choice to go shorter or longer, but that's what he wanted.

I'd love to see a couple pics of your boy on the bike. He's a tad taller than me (I'm 6'4" ~36" inseam). I've read over this thread a couple times and the Wozo looks awesome for sure but like many people the sizing is throwing me a bit. I normally ride a XL/20"+ST/the biggest they make so I naturally looked at the XL Wozo first but the posts here really make me think I may want to ride a large before deciding.

Heck, the large is bigger (top tube and reach) than both my current fat and skinny XL bikes! But, I feel cramped on both of those with a 50mm stem and I feel a bit wonky with 70-80mm stems. Wonky being a technical term for it steers funny and I tend to get too much weight over the front in turn with the long stems.

I'm sure I could ride either but choices really complicate things.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the info guys.

Standover isn't an issue for me most times. I'm never, or rarely, in more than enough snow to cover and pack the trails around here. My large Felt DD with a 120mm bluto had a ridiculous standover and it was never an issue for me.

The longer dropper is attractive too. I have a DJ bike and still ride some BMX (poorly) so really like having the seat dropped way down there to mess around but it's not an absolute requirement. The 125mm dropper I have has been acceptable for my fat biking needs so far.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwpVDEXCmqk

Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you ride DJ, then you're gonna want this bike in a large.

Run it with a big fork (140mm) and some 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags and it'll be your everything bike. It's a killer bike for getting rowdy.

I ride the Wozo quite a bit even though I have a Fatillac. The Wozo is just a really fun bike.

The Hodags are on the Fatillac, so I have Barbe 4.5's mounted now, they really aren't all purpose tire; we're low on snow this year, so I'll probably get something different...

Thanks for the info guys.

Standover isn't an issue for me most times. I'm never, or rarely, in more than enough snow to cover and pack the trails around here. My large Felt DD with a 120mm bluto had a ridiculous standover and it was never an issue for me.

The longer dropper is attractive too. I have a DJ bike and still ride some BMX (poorly) so really like having the seat dropped way down there to mess around but it's not an absolute requirement. The 125mm dropper I have has been acceptable for my fat biking needs so far.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Heh - my coworkers would say that I act like I'm retired.

Anyway - I think I'm close to your Next cranks measurement-wise tho. Originally, I measured from outside of crank arm to the chain stay - figured if comparing apples to apples, this would account for differing thickness of the crank arms themselves (which impacts the Qfactor). Anyway - just measuring inner of crank arm to CS (clearance) is this:

DS - 5mm
    NDS - 11mm

I need to process on your spacer recommendation. Spindle/arms don't have movement but I have to believe they intended for a 2.5mm drive side spacer between the BB Cup and the frame.

Ok - gotta go ride so stalk-mode off. Cheers and thanks.
    Don't know if you got this figured out, but some info from another thread. Apparently Turbines are much wider q than Aeffects for Next, and Aeffects are just a a little wider than Next SL.

"Raceface put the q-factor measurements for their cranks in a document here: https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

One complication: Some of the 2017 Suzi-Q models came with Turbine cranks instead of the Aeffect. In theory that's an upgrade, but in practice that actually makes the q-factor wider by about 4-5mm. On the other hand, the Turbines use the same spindle as the Next cranks, so it would be a relatively simple upgrade to by a Turbine equiped Suzi-Q and swap them with a set of Nexts."
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I feel the itch for a new bike and u guys have me thinking wozo.
    I have a beargrease carbon and I have enjoyed the bike but 27.2 seat post really limits dropper options. Sounds like building a Wozo 27.5 fat would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't think I've seen one person who didn't love this bike after buying or riding one. Nurse Ben still has one, if that tells you anything. Go for it!

aka bOb
    Last edited by bdundee; 01-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    OK, if you had to have one set of non-snowy condition wheels/tires for you Wozo what would it be and why?

I've started to gather some parts that I know I'll want on a Wozo and plan to build one. I'm still a bit undecided on size but I'll have to pull the trigger eventually. And as I build stuff the wheel/tire options are now running in my head.

mtbr member
    27.5x50mm rims with Hodags.

This place needs an enema
    Are you thinking 29+ or B Fat?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm not sure about 29+ or B fat but one of the two rather than 26" fat. I already have plenty of 26" fat stuff and I want this bike mostly for a non-snow bike with the benefit of fat tires.

I plan to carry over my winter 26fat stuff to this bike if needed so I can compromise on winter worthiness if that means I can get something more suited to dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    27+ is fun and doable, but youll get some pedal strike. I run 165mm cranks to minimize the issue. I think this wheel size is the most agile and playful, its what I ride most of the time.

29+ is a good choice, certainly long legged enough for bridging obstacles, works well with low B.B. I built a Wozo for son with 29+ and he loves it.

B Fat is pretty good for most anything, but its fatter and slower, closer to a fat tire, so maybe too much overlap with 26 fat.

If I could choose two sizes Id go with 27+ and B Fat, ditch the 26, swap tires on the fatter rims depending on the season (3.8/4.5), and keep the 27+ for all the other riding you do. Three wheelsets, add 29+.

Need ground clearance and like big wheels, get 29+.

Like long, low, and slack, get 27+.

Like Fat year round, get B Fat.

Cant decide, build a set of 27.5 x 50mm, get two sets of tires and swap between seasons; B Fat and plus.

I'm not sure about 29+ or B fat but one of the two rather than 26" fat. I already have plenty of 26" fat stuff and I want this bike mostly for a non-snow bike with the benefit of fat tires.

I plan to carry over my winter 26fat stuff to this bike if needed so I can compromise on winter worthiness if that means I can get something more suited to dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    29+ for sure, with a 120mm fork. Geometry is perfect for it. Go with 35'ish internal width rims and you can even mount 29 x 2.4-2.6 tires if you decide 29+ tires are not your thing (most who try 29+ stick with it though).

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast