Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    MSH
    mtbr member
    This has to be the warmest & driest winter since I have lived on the Front Range, so I have definitely been able to put some dirt miles on the Wozo. Different story here at my parents place in Gunnison/Crested Butte. They have had a big yr. This is today's ride hitting some of the groomers off Brush Creek Rd---> Canal & Bonus for those of you familiar with CB trails.

As far as sizing, I'm right at 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam. I don't necessarily need the crazy reach the Large Wozo has but I need the LG seattube length. I'm still running the stock 75mm stem but plan to go down to a 50mm. Definite adjustment for me coming from my OG Ripley and HD3, since Ibis tends to have shorter reach bikes compared to most.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1215.jpg

mtbr member
    So I finally got to ride one on Sunday (thanks staz) and feel the medium should work for me at 5'11". I am though going to wait til the 2018's come out. I emailed Kona and the said around Aug/Sept. I also asked if a carbon model would be in there plans and although he did not say yes he also did not say no either and for me to keep and eye on the website for whats new to come out from Kona....Hmmmmm
    Last edited by sml-2727; 03-14-2017 at 12:12 PM.

strider
    Nov 2010

Wozo in summer "skinny" mode

I just spent 3 ripping days at Glendo WY trail system with my new 27.5x3.0 wheelse. The Wozo is definitely that elusive "quiver-killer" unicorn of bikes for me. It rode excellently in 27+ all-mtn trail mode. From flowy, twisty to rockgnar tech sections and full throttle off-camber downhills. I am running Hope Fatsno hubs with WTB Scraper 45mm internal width rims and Schwalbe 3.0 tires (Rocket Ron and Nobby Nik). The bottom bracket is at about 306mm height which is a little low for some rocky tech moves, but then it is nice for railing turns (I should note that i have the fork bumped up to 120mm travel). I also lost about 4-5 pounds of the bike compared to the stock wheelset/tire combo.
    Now I have a great snow bike for the winter and the same bike with different wheels as a great all-mtn hardtail for the summer. I couldn't be more impressed with the Wozo overall.
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1695.jpgKona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1704.jpg

mtbr member
    saw one in person on the weekend, nice ride.

For anyone looking, Kamikaze Bikes in Collingwood, ON has a large complete for sale ($2600 CAD).

Not different enough from my Farley 7 (with Bluto and 2 wheelsets) though to consider selling mine to get it. And my 29+ wheels wouldn't swap over due to the rear hub spacing.
    Last edited by Swerny; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:50 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

strider
    Nov 2010

Tire modification

[QUOTE=rvercoe;13093104]I just spent 3 ripping days at Glendo WY trail system with my new 27.5x3.0 wheelse. The Wozo is definitely that elusive "quiver-killer" unicorn of bikes for me. It rode excellently in 27+ all-mtn trail mode. From flowy, twisty to rockgnar tech sections and full throttle off-camber downhills. I am running Hope Fatsno hubs with WTB Scraper 45mm internal width rims and Schwalbe 3.0 tires (Rocket Ron and Nobby Nik). The bottom bracket is at about 306mm height which is a little low for some rocky tech moves, but then it is nice for railing turns (I should note that i have the fork bumped up to 120mm travel). I also lost about 4-5 pounds of the bike compared to the stock wheelset/tire combo.

UPDATE:
    I swapped the NN 3.0 to the rear and put a Minion FBF 3.8 on the front. This has really improved the Wozo for technical, rocky terrain. The NN greatly improved traction in the rear compared to the RR. The FBF obviously increased traction due to its size but, more importantly, it slackened the head angle by about another half degree and raised the bottom bracket by another 5mm (putting it at 311mm height now). At Gowdy State Park I hit the steepest, most technical rock sections I have ever ridden and the bike ate all up without an issue. Truly outstanding. I think I will keep this set-up for technical riding until I can get a fatbike fork with 140mm of travel like the new Manitou Mastidon.

I'm interested to hear from other owners that are using the Wozo as a slimmed down dry season whip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    can anyone comment on the q factor one can achieve on this bike? The smaller the better

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    can anyone comment on the q factor one can achieve on this bike? The smaller the better
    I'm running RF Next SL Cinch 170mm carbon cranks they are slightly narrower than the RF Turbine (~6mm per side), chainstay clearance is 9-10mm. You can check the RF sie to see the q factors.

Not sure if any crank set will have a lower q, the Next SL is a pretty flat crank arm.

Something I've considered is cutting the BB down to fit an 83mm spindle. This mod would work with the Next SL cranks, RF has an 83mm spindle. Downside is 5" tire clearance would require a chainring swap; only an issue in the deepest of winter.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Is anybody running a Wren Inverted Fork on their Wozo?

I am interested in its performance for technical, rocky, dirt riding. Not so much for snow, as a rigid fork is fine for that. I would like to upgrade to a 140mm travel fork to run with my 27+ wheelset that will give me hardhitting performance for summer riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post

I am interested in its performance for technical, rocky, dirt riding. Not so much for snow, as a rigid fork is fine for that. I would like to upgrade to a 140mm travel fork to run with my 27+ wheelset that will give me hardhitting performance for summer riding.
    Wait for the Manitou.

The Wozo is designed for a 100mm fork, so jumping 40mm is huge, you may not like the results.

I think 120mm is reasonable for this bike.

Edit: I've had three Wren and three Bluto forks, have one Bluto remaining, waiting on the Manitou Mastodon.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is a good review vs the Bluto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI72pLUqsz0
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I picked up my Wozo last week to replace a Pugsley. I haven't gotten a ride on it yet as the trails are too wet for riding. I've just been playing around with it in the road. It was a big debate between a medium and a large. Both seemed to fit well. In the end I went with the medium as it felt more nimble. Can't wait to get on the trails. I've got a 2014 Precept DL that has been my summer bike. I'm curious to see if the Wozo will become my go to bike. Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1004.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

The wren is great. I'm running 110 on mine with a 29 plus front and 27 plus rear. Feels great. The 140 might help compensate for the lowered bb due to the 27 plus wheels.

Ben might only have a bluto now but he seems to forget he was one of wrens biggest supporters while he had his 3(!) Wrens. Not sure why it sucks so much now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    The wren is great. I'm running 110 on mine with a 29 plus front and 27 plus rear. Feels great. The 140 might help compensate for the lowered bb due to the 27 plus wheels.

Ben might only have a bluto now but he seems to forget he was one of wrens biggest supporters while he had his 3(!) Wrens. Not sure why it sucks so much now.
    The Wren was never more than it is, the torsional flex, the cockeyed issues, poopy damper, those are unchanged.

The reason I got a Bluto for the Wozo was price (got it at cost) and because I knew the Mastodon was coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey Rvercoe. Looking to build a new wheel set for my WoZo. What rims did you use for your 3.8 / 3.0 combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Hey Rvercoe. Looking to build a new wheel set for my WoZo. What rims did you use for your 3.8 / 3.0 combo?

Sunringle Duroc 40/50, burly rims, excellent tubeless. Width will depend if you want a little extra tire or a little extra rim.

Personally, the size difference from 3.0 to 3.8 is a bit much for me, I'd run 3.0 front and rear for summer, then add an angleset and/or 120mm fork, that'll correct the low bb and give you the desired hta.

To get the tire differential with greater traction up front, pick a low tread rear. In 27.5 x 3.8 tires there are few choices, but in 3.0" there are tons of choices. 3.0" will also be lighter and more agile.

If I wanted a more "mixxer" kind of ride, I'd run 29+ front/27+ rear, same tire width.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah I do think I will go 27.5 x 3.0 front and back and bump the Bluto to 120. Thanks for the advice.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Hi RideMN,
    See below.
    Last edited by rvercoe; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post

Hi RideMN,
    I recommend the WTB Scraper 45 (45mm internal diameter) over the Duroc. Mostly due to the sleeved join on the rim rather than a spot weld join on the Durocs. Increased rim integrity at the join. But that is really mostly a concern if you are going to do big-hit, technical, or rocky riding. Smooth, flow, XC-style riding won't make a difference between either of those rims as they are about the same weight and price-point.

What I do know is that the Scrapers set-up tubeless ridiculously easy and solid. I have done all of mine and my wife's first try with an old floor pump. Something I always had a tougher time doing on any other brand or size of rim before and certainly not with a 100% success-rate without going to an air compressor.

As far as tire choice goes, here's the deal. I ride rocky technical terrain both for preference and for the fact there is an abundance of it nearby. So in order to achieve an "All-mtn hardtail" set-up that achieves acceptable levels of performance I have settled on the following: Bluto fork w/ 120mm travel, Minion FBF 3.8 front, Nobby Nik 3.0 rear. I tried a Rocket Ron (low tread type of tire) on the rear and found it noticeably lacking in the traction department for decomposed granite over solid rock and dirt, technical climbs, and rock hits. I switched to the meatier and slightly tougher NN and things are perfect in the rear-end for confident traction, handling and durability. Now for the Front, I started with the NN on the front when the RR was on the rear. Naturally, the NN was awesome up there. I'll admit the NN may be my favorite all around tire of all time. But, the 3.0/3.0 pairing left my bottom bracket and head angle too low and steep, respectively. At least for my needs (ie riding style and trails). I was getting more pedal strikes than desired in technical sections, even after accounting for more conscious pedal management, and the HA was a little too XC for what I needed. An angle set headset would have remedied the HA, but left the BB height arguably even a touch lower. So my most efficient and economical solution was to put the FBF 3.8 up front. This has increased BB height to a nice 311mm and set the HA at about 68 degrees.

Remember that the Wozo is originally designed around a 4.0 rear / 4.8 front 26 inch wheel combo to achieve the desired BB height and HA. This is replicated with the 27x3 / 27x3.8 combo, plus I get an extra bit from the 120 fork to slack the HA for more aggressive descending. Now, as Ben notes, I could also achieve this same result by using a 29x3.0 front wheel/tire, but that would necessitate a complete new front wheel and tire combo. Obviously, the other difference in using the 3.8 FBF over a 29x3 is the increased traction from a larger contact patch due to the width and the increased volume which adds additional undampened suspension. Neither of which increase rolling resistance much as it is on the front wheel, but does increase descending confidence when you weight the front end and dig that big tire in for all its worth.

In summary, definitely get a 45mm internal diameter rim (Scraper or Duroc) to have the greatest tire size applicability. Start with 3.0 tires and get the fork upto 120mm. If you prefer and ride more XC, flow, non-technical terrain then this set-up should be the bees knees for you. It is super fun and the low BB and plus tires' contact patch will have you cornering like a Jedi on a speeder bike. If you ride more technical terrain, you may find that a higher front end (either through a larger tire or longer travel fork) will be the antidote to get your BB and HA dialed. Ultimately, in my case, I would rather save my pennies for a 140mm fork up front and then put 27x3.0 NN or equivalent on my custom 27.5 wheelset that I just laid-out for.

Hope this helps, and thanks to the folks that provided feedback on 140mm fork recommendations and reviews.

Cheers, Rico

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thats great info. Thanks for the help guys!!

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Ben et al,

What face face spindle length do I need for a race face next sl G4 crank and which bottom bracket for the wozo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    RF Spindle is only offered in one length, different q depending on crank.

Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up. It might be a different story if plus/fat tires ran in small incrementd, 4.0/4.25 for example.

To think of it another way, would you run a 27.5 x 2.25 in the rear and a 27.5 x 3 in the front? Nah, no one does that, it'd be silly.

As to the rims, I'm gonna also disagree on the Scrapers. I've built two sets, trashed one set, still got one set, they build poorly, prone to flat spotting, get dinged easilly, and dent easilly. Durocs are bomber, typical Sunringle quality, WTB just doesnt compare. Second rim choice would be Velocity Dually, got a set of those on my plus bike, take a licking and still holding strong; though they tend to scratch easy.

Just a quick note on adding an angleset to the Wozo: because it would be an external lower cup, the HT is raised 10mm, so you get 0.5 deg slacker just by adding the angleset. That 10mm is nearly the same difference as you'll find between a 27.5 x 3.8 and a 27.5 x 4.8, now combine the angleset with a 120mm fork and you're HT end is more than an inch higher than stock.

Get some decent hubs, DT Swiss, Onyx, King.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up.
    Hey Ben, that's pretty cool. When did you start working in Kona's development team?

WNC Native
    Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up. It might be a different story if plus/fat tires ran in small incrementd, 4.0/4.25 for example.
    Coming from some one who has recommended people try 27.5+ rear and 29+ front....?

It's not a screw up, it actually works rather nicely. Since when did you become the expert on being rational?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Coming from some one who has recommended people try 27.5+ rear and 29+ front....?

It's not a screw up, it actually works rather nicely. Since when did you become the expert on being rational?
    That was only while he was raving about how wonderful the Wren was.
    While raving about a bike with long chain stays
    But that was then....and this is now.....
    #alternatefacts

MSH
    mtbr member
    ...As to the rims, I'm gonna also disagree on the Scrapers. I've built two sets, trashed one set, still got one set, they build poorly, prone to flat spotting, get dinged easilly, and dent easilly....
    With regards to the Scrapers durability I don't have any personal experience, however, Chad at Red Barn in Montana who builds all my wheels indicated to me that he prefers the Scrapers because of their durability when I approached him for a set for my Wozo--> "I like the WTB's a little more for durability sake. Seem to be a little more stout." Chad does know just a thing or two about building wheels. If you do a search he's generally one of the long time, recommended wheelbuilders here on mtbr. He's been around a long time and I definitely value his opinion. Every one of the wheelsets he has built for me has been rock solid.

Chris Bling
    From my personal time on the Scrapers, they have been bomber. Granted, I run the right pressure so I am not touching the rim constantly on the trail.

The i40 vs the i45 Scraper are a bug difference. The i40 can't hold a candle to the durability of the i45.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I could say many things, but why bother, fat bike season is coming to an end, this forum will go into hibernation shortly.

See ya next season

strider
    Nov 2010
    I could say many things, but why bother, fat bike season is coming to an end, this forum will go into hibernation shortly.

See ya next season
    With a bike like the Wozo, I expect there to be a pretty outstanding summer (plus bike) season ahead. At least that is what I am counting on and the interest so far seems that others are going to give it a go as well. Thanks for contributing NB. As long as we are all having a Rad time riding and sharing our experiences, there shouldn't be any problem if we disagree on the details. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My fat bike season just started...???

... and I'm running a 4.8 front and 4.0 rear.

Maybe next year I'll get this fat biking thing figured out..
    2017 Motobecane Sturgis NX

MSH
    mtbr member
    With a bike like the Wozo, I expect there to be a pretty outstanding summer (plus bike) season ahead. At least that is what I am counting on and the interest so far seems that others are going to give it a go as well. Thanks for contributing NB. As long as we are all having a Rad time riding and sharing our experiences, there shouldn't be any problem if we disagree on the details. Cheers.
    Agreed! Great thread w/ lots of good feedback/info. My summer wheels are being built up right now by Chad at Red Barn. Ended up going with i35s instead of i45s on my 29 wheels, so I can go + and also scale it back to 2.3s/2.4s with no issues. Chupacabras on order. Bumping the Bluto to 120mm. Should be a sh**ton of fun this summer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Let us know how you like that combo MSH!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345