Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 231
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    120mm fork would really increase the stack and make for some seriously tall standover, it might be okay if you were running smaller wheels (27+).

    I'd like to see Kona rework the frame for a slacker hta, a little wider cs yoke, and a lower placement of the tt on the seat tube.

    The Wozo is a great bike, I'd keep riding it as is, but I'd like to run a 120mm fork as a standard set up. My preference would be a 68deg hta with an angleset, then we could choose steeper or slacker.

    I ran 66.5 hta on my Mutz with 140mm travel, it was no slacker in the snow. You dont need a steep hta for good performance in snow

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Here is the full report with lots more detailed photos of the Wozo build as well as a few videos of Wozos in action through the British countryside. Enjoy!

    https://factoryjackson.com/2017/02/1...-fat-shredder/

    First time I saw this vid I thought it was a Wozo and a Wo! I do likey the Blue Wozo,but hoping for some other color for 2018 than either the green or the blue,plus needs a bent top tube for some more standover,Please!
    And yes,we need another fork option,even like a fat Auron or Durolux from Suntour would beat a Bluto(although a fat Pike would kill)

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354

    Finally found one

    One sic bike for sure...2hr drive to Ohio for it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-0221171651.jpg  


  4. #154
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by tilltheend View Post
    The factory Jackson article says he's running a 120 fork, I wonder if that's the answer. The 4.8 slacks the bike out but I was wondering if a 120 and 4.0 up front would be a good summer combo?
    Yes, upping the fork to 120 and dropping the front tire to a 4.0 would just about average out with a slight favor towards a 1/2 degree slacker head angle. Excellent summer option without getting a whole nother wheelset.

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Yes, upping the fork to 120 and dropping the front tire to a 4.0 would just about average out with a slight favor towards a 1/2 degree slacker head angle. Excellent summer option without getting a whole nother wheelset.
    That's what I was thinking, I measured it out when I first got it with an anglefinder and it was at 67 I believe or 68 Id have to look on the set up sheet I started.. but it feels good as is just a more travel and less front tire might be even more of a ripper.

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    1 degree change per 20mm change in travel, Wozo frame geo is based on 100mm Bluto. Changing to a same size tire will add ~1/2degree assuming the geo is accurate for the 4.0/4.8 tire combo, a 4" tire front and rear with a 120mm fork give you a 68.5 hta

    140mm fork would get you a 67.5hta, but also a shite ton of standover.

    An Angleset would add a 10mm external cup (-1/2 degree). An Angleset can reduce hta up to 1.5 degrees. You could get a 66.5 hta with a 120mm fork and an Angleset or yiu can get 67.5 with a 100mm fork and an Angleset.

    Anglesets work, I've used them on bikes and tandems.

    I think a 120mm fork would be better for trail riding, but it really increases the standover and stack.

    Tis a shame the Wozo kept so many attributes of the Wo.

    The Wozo is a great frame, but it needs some tweaking to be truly amazing.

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    At 6'2.5" with a 36" cycling inseam, I find the large Wozo with a 120mm fork to be excellent in both stand-over and stack height. That's why earlier in the thread I recommended a medium frame to someone who was only 5'11", as there is plenty of toptube/reach/front-center length. There is nothing wrong with running a 60-75mm stem to get the extra cockpit length if you have long arms/torso, and that's what Kona specs on the stock builds. Hell, I would have bought a medium for myself if the seat tube was longer, but I'm fine on a large with a 50mm stem.

  8. #158
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    50

    Wozo review from NSMB

    Here is a three person review of the WOZO from the fellas at NSMB. It just came out yesterday.
    2017 Kona Wozo - Triple Tester Review

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    At 6'2.5" with a 36" cycling inseam, I find the large Wozo with a 120mm fork to be excellent in both stand-over and stack height. That's why earlier in the thread I recommended a medium frame to someone who was only 5'11", as there is plenty of toptube/reach/front-center length. There is nothing wrong with running a 60-75mm stem to get the extra cockpit length if you have long arms/torso, and that's what Kona specs on the stock builds. Hell, I would have bought a medium for myself if the seat tube was longer, but I'm fine on a large with a 50mm stem.
    Yeah, you're a tall guy, the large is a good standover for a 36" inseam, but I'm 5'11" + with a 34" inseam and its marginal at best.

    I built a medium first, the standover was amazing, 150mm dropper fit fine, but it was waaay to short, I would have needed an 80mm stem or longer.

    The large frame needs better standover.

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, you're a tall guy, the large is a good standover for a 36" inseam, but I'm 5'11" + with a 34" inseam and its marginal at best.

    I built a medium first, the standover was amazing, 150mm dropper fit fine, but it was waaay to short, I would have needed an 80mm stem or longer.

    The large frame needs better standover.
    Why would you need a stem 40mm or longer than what you are using now (40mm, according to your earlier posts), when the ETT and reach is only 25mm less on the medium vs large?? Seems to me that a 65mm stem would be spot-on for you on a medium. Pick the stem to make the bike fit, not the other way around.

    FWIW, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted others that might be trying to decide between 2 bike frame sizes to hear another viewpoint.

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    198
    I've got a few of these for sale in Michigan if anyone is trying to source one.

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Why would you need a stem 40mm or longer than what you are using now (40mm, according to your earlier posts), when the ETT and reach is only 25mm less on the medium vs large?? Seems to me that a 65mm stem would be spot-on for you on a medium. Pick the stem to make the bike fit, not the other way around.

    FWIW, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted others that might be trying to decide between 2 bike frame sizes to hear another viewpoint.
    I personally can tolerate a extra 50mm of wheelbase over the steering feel of 50mm extra in a stem.

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Why would you need a stem 40mm or longer than what you are using now (40mm, according to your earlier posts), when the ETT and reach is only 25mm less on the medium vs large?? Seems to me that a 65mm stem would be spot-on for you on a medium. Pick the stem to make the bike fit, not the other way around.

    FWIW, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted others that might be trying to decide between 2 bike frame sizes to hear another viewpoint.
    The medium rode very small, can't remember the specifics, but I built it first with a 50mm stem, tried a 60mm, still very short in reach, built the large and the reach is perfect with a 45mm.

    Keep in mind that longer stems don't change the geometry, they simply move the bars forward. The triangle remains the same, changing stems is not the same as having the correct fit.

    Kona designs these frames for a 50mm stem, it's a fat Honzo.

    The Honzo is designed with low standover tt that has a brace to the st, not sure why they didn't do this on the Wozo... maybe next year?

    I hear what you're saying about being between sizes, but having sized too small in the past, I would recommend going up in size. I got this same feedback from another MTBR poster on a Mutz, fought it, but he was right.

    It's a great bike, frame is not that expensive and they are in demand, you could always swap out later.

    Just a thought: the Kona geo makes their frames seem bigger than they actually are, so pick your frame size based on what you normally ride (s, m, l), use the Kona sizing guide.

    I wouldn't put anyone over 5'10/31" inseam on a medium.

    I'm Close to 6', longish arms, typically buy XL jackets for sleeve legth, Patagonia base layers top and bottom in a large, Kuhl pants in a 32" inseam.

    I run a 150mm dropper, full length, it's slammed but I could raise it 1/2" if I wanted more extension; I prefer more butt clearance. Chromag 20mm iser bars, Chromag 45mm stem, 5mm spacer under the stem. 100mm Bluto.

    I'm getting long winded here, but another thing to keep in mind is a longer travel fork will shorten the cockpit, so if you're thinking of running a 120mm fork, definitely go up in frame size.

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    I personally can tolerate a extra 50mm of wheelbase over the steering feel of 50mm extra in a stem.
    We are talking 25mm here not 50. You are basically saying that if you should be riding a small Wozo (based on your inseem, and therefore standover height), you'd rather buy a large and run a 15 long stem (gaining 50mm of WB and dropping 50mm of stem length). Standover clearance and weight distribution be damned. Let me know how that works out for you.

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    50
    I am 5'10 1/2" tall. I started with a large WoZo. Felt pretty good but the stand over height put the top tube right in my business. Went to a medium with a 50mm stem and will probably end up with a 60 - 65mm stem to perfect the fit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Keep in mind that longer stems don't change the geometry, they simply move the bars forward. The triangle remains the same, changing stems is not the same as having the correct fit.
    Exactly my point. Some bikes have a short front-center and it can be beneficial to "size-up" for more stability, but this is obviously not the case with the Wozo. I recall you arguing why you bought a medium Devinci Atlas at the time because the large "felt" too big. Now that is one bike that you should have bought in a bigger size, as the front-center on the medium with a 120mm fork is only 665mm. That's 97mm shorter than a large Wozo! I bought an XL Atlas frame specifically because I knew I wanted the longer front-center, despite some people arguing that the bike "fit big".

    Kona designs these frames for a 50mm stem, it's a fat Honzo.
    I can't speak for Kona, but what we do know is that they did not spec these bikes with 50mm stems. I believe the stock large uses a 75mm stem. I'm not saying the bike needs a stem that long, but it doesn't necessarily make it handle like a$$ either. In fact, the professional test riders actually chose an even longer stem according to this article: 2017 Kona Wozo - Triple Tester Review . I say this even though I'm running a 50mm stem myself, which is a good length for my proportions.

    Just a thought: the Kona geo makes their frames seem bigger than they actually are, so pick your frame size based on what you normally ride (s, m, l), use the Kona sizing guide.
    I wouldn't put anyone over 5'10/31" inseam on a medium.

    According to the Kona size guide, someone up to 6'2" could pick a medium. Not saying I would recommend that for someone that tall, but riders between 5'11" and 6'1" certainly shouldn't just write off a medium just because someone on the internet said so. Some people might prefer the extra standover height

    I'm getting long winded here, but another thing to keep in mind is a longer travel fork will shorten the cockpit, so if you're thinking of running a 120mm fork, definitely go up in frame size.
    A 20mm longer fork will shorter the reach slightly, but will actually increase the ETT length as well. Albeit, both of these changes are almost negligible, especially once the extra sag is factored into the equation. I would argue that the increased length in wheelbase, the increased BB height, and the change in HTA/STA are much more perceivable. Contrary to your advice, I would strongly advise someone to go down in size if wanting to use a longer fork, specifically because of the increase in stand-over height, and the increased front-center length.
    Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. I ultimately recommend potential buyers doing a thorough test ride, although this is not always possible.

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    I am 5'10 1/2" tall. I started with a large WoZo. Felt pretty good but the stand over height put the top tube right in my business. Went to a medium with a 50mm stem and will probably end up with a 60 - 65mm stem to perfect the fit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, you are literally on the fence.

    The Wozo geo needs some tweaking, longer reach by 20mm on the medium and large would make them fit their target population.

  18. #168
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yup, you are literally on the fence.

    The Wozo geo needs some tweaking, longer reach by 20mm on the medium and large would make them fit their target population.
    Figuratively.
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Minion 3.8 x 27.5 on Duroc 50s, tire diameter is the same as Minion 4.8 x 26 on Large Marge 65mm rims.

    Riding Ancient Lakes tomorrow if it doesn't snow....

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2017-02-25-23.54.43.jpg

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84
    ^^^ that's a sweet setup.

    Hey does anyone here know a fender that will fit the bluto with the stock 4.8 tire in the front? The blackburn one I bought doesn't fit - ive rigged it temporarily under the fork crown but it's not ideal.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma_MTB View Post
    ^^^ that's a sweet setup.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    +1 Looks killer. Good job NB.

  22. #172
    MSH
    MSH is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma_MTB View Post
    Hey does anyone here know a fender that will fit the bluto with the stock 4.8 tire in the front?
    The one I have from T'aint Muddy Fenders has worked great so far---> T'aint Muddy Fenders

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Update: I have 6 rides now on my 29+ setup. The weather here quickly changed from freezing to consistently in the 60's (up to 75 degrees 2 days ago!). Of course this morning it's back down in the 20's... Anyways, with the good weather I was able to get four decent 14-20 mile trail rides in. This is my first experience with 29+ tires, although I did do a couple rentals on 27+ bikes last year. I was anticipating some heavy steering and vague handling, but I experienced NONE of that. Basically, it feels like my 29x2.4 tires, but with another dose of momentum, rollover, and traction. It feels similar to when I went from 2.25" to 2.4" tires. I can detect just a little more rolling resistance when climbing, but nothing like what I feel with full fat tires.

    I didn't set any PR's according to Strava, but I really didn't expect to considering that: A) I'm in "winter shape" from not being able to regularly ride 3-4x/week and B) the trails were not in perfect shape-although certainly excellent for this time of year. That said, my segment times were not too far off, on average ~5-10% off my best. If I was racing, or if I was doing a loop that involved a lot of road (dirt, gravel, or paved), I'm pretty sure I would opt for smaller tires. But for chunky terrain or softer conditions, 29+ is pretty awesome. If I get the time later this year, I'll swap the tires out for 29x2.4 rubber and see how much different my times are. I'm a very consistent rider on familiar trails, at a given fitness level and trail condition, so I should get some useful data.

    The BB height is perfect, as I've only experienced 2 pedal strikes the whole time, yet it feels nice and planted during higher speed cornering, or when descending the steeps. The short chainstays really help to hide the overall length of the bike on the switchbacks and I was able to "clean" all the really tight corners, although I certainly wouldn't want the front-center to be any longer for my trails.

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    The one I have from T'aint Muddy Fenders has worked great so far---> T'aint Muddy Fenders
    Thanks! Just ordered a front and rear.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  25. #175
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Update: I have 6 rides now on my 29+ setup. The weather here quickly changed from freezing to consistently in the 60's (up to 75 degrees 2 days ago!). Of course this morning it's back down in the 20's... Anyways, with the good weather I was able to get four decent 14-20 mile trail rides in. This is my first experience with 29+ tires, although I did do a couple rentals on 27+ bikes last year. I was anticipating some heavy steering and vague handling, but I experienced NONE of that. Basically, it feels like my 29x2.4 tires, but with another dose of momentum, rollover, and traction. It feels similar to when I went from 2.25" to 2.4" tires. I can detect just a little more rolling resistance when climbing, but nothing like what I feel with full fat tires.

    I didn't set any PR's according to Strava, but I really didn't expect to considering that: A) I'm in "winter shape" from not being able to regularly ride 3-4x/week and B) the trails were not in perfect shape-although certainly excellent for this time of year. That said, my segment times were not too far off, on average ~5-10% off my best. If I was racing, or if I was doing a loop that involved a lot of road (dirt, gravel, or paved), I'm pretty sure I would opt for smaller tires. But for chunky terrain or softer conditions, 29+ is pretty awesome. If I get the time later this year, I'll swap the tires out for 29x2.4 rubber and see how much different my times are. I'm a very consistent rider on familiar trails, at a given fitness level and trail condition, so I should get some useful data.

    The BB height is perfect, as I've only experienced 2 pedal strikes the whole time, yet it feels nice and planted during higher speed cornering, or when descending the steeps. The short chainstays really help to hide the overall length of the bike on the switchbacks and I was able to "clean" all the really tight corners, although I certainly wouldn't want the front-center to be any longer for my trails.
    Sigh... now I really want to pick up a Wozo.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    One sic bike for sure...2hr drive to Ohio for it!
    Congrats! What dealer did you visit in Ohio, and how did they treat you?

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Sigh... now I really want to pick up a Wozo.

    Los
    Just do it, you will not be disappointed. Outside of spending $$$ on a custom frame, the Wozo is a tough act to follow.

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Congrats! What dealer did you visit in Ohio, and how did they treat you?
    Blimp City Bike and Hike..they were awesome...knock of some $ for the drive and discounted for paying cash!

    I got a medium..at 6' and 50mm stem..TT is just right and prefer the short seat tube for snow riding.

  29. #179
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    50
    That looks like a dialed wheelset NB. I'm interested to hear how it rides. How much travel do you have on the front end?

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    268
    I have been using these fenders.

    https://www.themudhugger.us.com/shop/

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TomiKoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    65
    I have been reading and reading but my question still is: does it fit 4,8" Jumbo Jim in the rear? I don't need lection about changed geometry and slider's all the way back is ok. Just please share if you have info if 4,8" or at least 4,4" JJ will fit.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    I have been reading and reading but my question still is: does it fit 4,8" Jumbo Jim in the rear? I don't need lection about changed geometry and slider's all the way back is ok. Just please share if you have info if 4,8" or at least 4,4" JJ will fit.
    It depends on rim width and actual tire size, but with the stock 80mm rims, a 4.8" is likely too tight.

    Change to a narrower rim like the Large Marge 65mm and fit will probably be fine.

    It's not tire height that limits fit (ie sliders), it's chainstay width.

    If you can provide a tire width on the rim you plan to use, I can measure the chainstays.

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    That looks like a dialed wheelset NB. I'm interested to hear how it rides. How much travel do you have on the front end?
    100mm. Will take it to 120mm come summer or not

  34. #184
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    100mm. Will take it to 120mm come summer or not
    Yeah, I'm thinking that putting tires of the same diameter on without bumping up the travel will steepen the HA by 1/2 to 1 degree considering the stock geometry at 69 degrees is based on a 4.0 rear and 4.8 front tire combo. That would mean going to a 70 degree HA with equal size tires whatever they be. I think for my 27+ set-up I'll go 120mm on the fork to atleast keep HA as slack as possible and the BB up a bit.

    I guess an angle-set headset could be a good upgrade to this bike for those of use that want to run multiple tire and wheel size options. I just prefer the new-geo feel of slightly steeper HA (66-68 degrees), long front-center, and short rear end.

    I'm curious to hear if you notice the steeper HA with the dual 3.8s. Cheers!

  35. #185
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,422
    Is the head the angle in fact measured with a 4.8 on front and 4.0 in the rear?

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking that putting tires of the same diameter on without bumping up the travel will steepen the HA by 1/2 to 1 degree considering the stock geometry at 69 degrees is based on a 4.0 rear and 4.8 front tire combo. That would mean going to a 70 degree HA with equal size tires whatever they be. I think for my 27+ set-up I'll go 120mm on the fork to atleast keep HA as slack as possible and the BB up a bit.

    I guess an angle-set headset could be a good upgrade to this bike for those of use that want to run multiple tire and wheel size options. I just prefer the new-geo feel of slightly steeper HA (66-68 degrees), long front-center, and short rear end.

    I'm curious to hear if you notice the steeper HA with the dual 3.8s. Cheers!
    I have dual 4.8 already, so not gonna notice any change in hta cuz there ain't none.

    Don't get too hung up on hta, long and low makes it ride different, even the Honzo is not that slack in today's view.

    An angleset is the answer, combined with a 120mm fork.

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Melt out ride yesterday, mix of snow, muck, grass, dirt, and rock. Flung myself over the bars from a pedal snag at speed, did some techy rock crawling over gnarly basalt, lots of wheelieing over sage and snow drifts, such a fun bike.

    For sure, the 27.5 x 3.8 Minions are a good choice for all around use, love the combination of height and width. I'll probably switch to 29 x 3 for summer, though these tires are pretty fun.Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2017-03-05-13.21.46.jpg

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    Blimp City Bike and Hike..they were awesome...knock of some $ for the drive and discounted for paying cash!

    I got a medium..at 6' and 50mm stem..TT is just right and prefer the short seat tube for snow riding.
    dang it thats only a hour from me.... btw how does the Medium feel? im 5'11'' 32 inseam and was dead set on finding a large.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    dang it thats only a hour from me.... btw how does the Medium feel? im 5'11'' 32 inseam and was dead set on finding a large.
    You can take my large for a spin some time to get a feel for the fit.

  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Minion 3.8 x 27.5 on Duroc 50s, tire diameter is the same as Minion 4.8 x 26 on Large Marge 65mm rims.

    Riding Ancient Lakes tomorrow if it doesn't snow....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-25 23.54.43.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	1123634
    Nurse Ben, can you measure the diameter of your tire/width at its widest? I'm thinking about trying a larger tire on my Fuel 27+ bike as it may need new rims...wonder if a 3.8 with a 50mm rim would work in the back. I know it will in the front.

  41. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Nurse Ben, can you measure the diameter of your tire/width at its widest? I'm thinking about trying a larger tire on my Fuel 27+ bike as it may need new rims...wonder if a 3.8 with a 50mm rim would work in the back. I know it will in the front.
    The info is out there, bike is in my van, I'm not going outsidr, I'm going to bed

    I doubt it will fit, this is fat tire, width is 3.75" on a 50mm rim, height is the same as a 26 x 4.8 Minion.

    Doing a back of a napkin calculation, to change from a 27.5 x 3 Minion to a 27.5 x 3.8 Minion, you need an additional 1/2" at the yoke and to either side at the chainstays AT THE MINIMUM.

    Your dreaming.

    Try a fatter 3" like a NN or try a 3.25".

  42. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    dang it thats only a hour from me.... btw how does the Medium feel? im 5'11'' 32 inseam and was dead set on finding a large.
    I'm about a half inch taller than you with the same inseam. For me, the medium is perfect with the stock 60 mm stem. I've even thought once or twice about putting a 40 or 50 mm stem but I'll probably stick with 60.

    I'm usually a large or 18" in frames but on the Wozo the medium is the perfect fit for me.


    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma_MTB View Post
    I'm about a half inch taller than you with the same inseam. For me, the medium is perfect with the stock 60 mm stem. I've even thought once or twice about putting a 40 or 50 mm stem but I'll probably stick with 60.

    I'm usually a large or 18" in frames but on the Wozo the medium is the perfect fit for me.
    You must have a really short torso and arms, I can't imagine riding this bike short. I find my large Hendrix to ride short, the large Wozo is just right.

    I wouldn't buy a bike based on printed geo, test ride or deal with the consequences. Based on print, I would barely fit a medium. Based on riding I fit a large perfectly with a 40mm stem, seat centered.

    Such a fun trail bike, rode some sticky fresh on top of a firm base yesterday, 4" tires were just enough for the climb and a hoot on the descent, catching air of risers. Cleaned up a jump and did some repeats.

    Need this bike in FS!

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2017-03-09-07.51.32.jpg

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You must have a really short torso and arms, I can't imagine riding this bike short. I find my large Hendrix to ride short, the large Wozo is just right.

    I wouldn't buy a bike based on printed geo, test ride or deal with the consequences. Based on print, I would barely fit a medium. Based on riding I fit a large perfectly with a 40mm stem, seat centered.

    Such a fun trail bike, rode some sticky fresh on top of a firm base yesterday, 4" tires were just enough for the climb and a hoot on the descent, catching air of risers. Cleaned up a jump and did some repeats.

    Need this bike in FS!
    I just like being a bit more upright on my bikes and certainly the standover clearance on the medium is very nice for anyone that fits on it.

    And yes, this bike is ridiculously fun. I was almost ashamed at how much I love it. I have a Ti Stanton Switchback hardtail with a really nice build on it - and I think the Wozo is more fun. So much so that I'm actually going to sell the stanton.

    A local bike shop owner asked me a couple weeks ago what was so fun about the wozo, as he didnt believe the hype. I told him at first it was kind of like hooking up with a fat chick, secretly its got you grinning ear to ear the whole ride but you really dont want anyone to know about it. But now its a full blown love affair and I dont care who knows it.

    This is actually the 2nd time I've owned a Kona I love this much. I'm not sure why I still buy bikes from other manufacturers as Kona seems to have figured out my fun button better than any other manufacturer I've ridden.

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Standover is a "tight" on the Large if you're inseam is less than 33", but that seems to be the case with a bunch of bikes; the Beargrease.

    Standover is only an issue if I'm not on the pedals...so I try to stay on thr pedals

    For perspective: I wear 32" inseam in Kuhl pants, might wear 33" if they existed and I wanted the cuff to crease against my shoes. Wearing flat riding shoes, straddling mid toptube, I can lift the bike 1.5" on both ends; that's wearing 27.5 x 3.8's. With 29 x 3's, I'd lose 1/2" standover.

    I'd prefer a bent toptube with a braced seat post tube as Kona does on the Honzo.

    All that aside, I would not prefer to ride a medium frame because handling would be compromised with a long stem and the tight cockpit would be uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-10-2017 at 07:06 PM.

  46. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Gone PURPLE!

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-2017-03-10-18.29.04.jpg

    All I need now is a Manitou Mastodon 120mm fork

  47. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    50
    What seatpost clamp is that?? Looking for a purple one also!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    What seatpost clamp is that?? Looking for a purple one also!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clamp is the Salsa Liplock, 32.0, Jenson, $22.

    Bars are Raceface Atlas, discontinued, got the last set from Jenson

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    50
    Thanks man. Damn, Those purple bars are sexy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,962
    We got melted out a bit, so I'm heading out to ride 29+ in the morning; seems like Spring is starting to show it's face.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I got my Kona Wozo
    By OfficiallyColin in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM
  2. Kona Wozo
    By nitrousjunky in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 12-30-2016, 04:46 AM
  3. Kona Wozo frame only option?
    By Nurse Ben in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2016, 03:41 PM
  4. Help with my first bike - KONA WOZO or KONA BIG HONZO DL??
    By stew1818 in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM
  5. Kona wozo
    By stew1818 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •