Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MSH
    mtbr member
    This has to be the warmest & driest winter since I have lived on the Front Range, so I have definitely been able to put some dirt miles on the Wozo. Different story here at my parents place in Gunnison/Crested Butte. They have had a big yr. This is today's ride hitting some of the groomers off Brush Creek Rd---> Canal & Bonus for those of you familiar with CB trails.

As far as sizing, I'm right at 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam. I don't necessarily need the crazy reach the Large Wozo has but I need the LG seattube length. I'm still running the stock 75mm stem but plan to go down to a 50mm. Definite adjustment for me coming from my OG Ripley and HD3, since Ibis tends to have shorter reach bikes compared to most.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1215.jpg

mtbr member
    So I finally got to ride one on Sunday (thanks staz) and feel the medium should work for me at 5'11". I am though going to wait til the 2018's come out. I emailed Kona and the said around Aug/Sept. I also asked if a carbon model would be in there plans and although he did not say yes he also did not say no either and for me to keep and eye on the website for whats new to come out from Kona....Hmmmmm
    Last edited by sml-2727; 03-14-2017 at 12:12 PM.

strider
    Nov 2010

Wozo in summer "skinny" mode

I just spent 3 ripping days at Glendo WY trail system with my new 27.5x3.0 wheelse. The Wozo is definitely that elusive "quiver-killer" unicorn of bikes for me. It rode excellently in 27+ all-mtn trail mode. From flowy, twisty to rockgnar tech sections and full throttle off-camber downhills. I am running Hope Fatsno hubs with WTB Scraper 45mm internal width rims and Schwalbe 3.0 tires (Rocket Ron and Nobby Nik). The bottom bracket is at about 306mm height which is a little low for some rocky tech moves, but then it is nice for railing turns (I should note that i have the fork bumped up to 120mm travel). I also lost about 4-5 pounds of the bike compared to the stock wheelset/tire combo.
    Now I have a great snow bike for the winter and the same bike with different wheels as a great all-mtn hardtail for the summer. I couldn't be more impressed with the Wozo overall.
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1695.jpgKona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1704.jpg

mtbr member
    saw one in person on the weekend, nice ride.

For anyone looking, Kamikaze Bikes in Collingwood, ON has a large complete for sale ($2600 CAD).

Not different enough from my Farley 7 (with Bluto and 2 wheelsets) though to consider selling mine to get it. And my 29+ wheels wouldn't swap over due to the rear hub spacing.
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-28-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

strider
    Nov 2010

Tire modification

[QUOTE=rvercoe;13093104]I just spent 3 ripping days at Glendo WY trail system with my new 27.5x3.0 wheelse. The Wozo is definitely that elusive "quiver-killer" unicorn of bikes for me. It rode excellently in 27+ all-mtn trail mode. From flowy, twisty to rockgnar tech sections and full throttle off-camber downhills. I am running Hope Fatsno hubs with WTB Scraper 45mm internal width rims and Schwalbe 3.0 tires (Rocket Ron and Nobby Nik). The bottom bracket is at about 306mm height which is a little low for some rocky tech moves, but then it is nice for railing turns (I should note that i have the fork bumped up to 120mm travel). I also lost about 4-5 pounds of the bike compared to the stock wheelset/tire combo.

UPDATE:
    I swapped the NN 3.0 to the rear and put a Minion FBF 3.8 on the front. This has really improved the Wozo for technical, rocky terrain. The NN greatly improved traction in the rear compared to the RR. The FBF obviously increased traction due to its size but, more importantly, it slackened the head angle by about another half degree and raised the bottom bracket by another 5mm (putting it at 311mm height now). At Gowdy State Park I hit the steepest, most technical rock sections I have ever ridden and the bike ate all up without an issue. Truly outstanding. I think I will keep this set-up for technical riding until I can get a fatbike fork with 140mm of travel like the new Manitou Mastidon.

I'm interested to hear from other owners that are using the Wozo as a slimmed down dry season whip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    can anyone comment on the q factor one can achieve on this bike? The smaller the better

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    can anyone comment on the q factor one can achieve on this bike? The smaller the better
    I'm running RF Next SL Cinch 170mm carbon cranks they are slightly narrower than the RF Turbine (~6mm per side), chainstay clearance is 9-10mm. You can check the RF sie to see the q factors.

Not sure if any crank set will have a lower q, the Next SL is a pretty flat crank arm.

Something I've considered is cutting the BB down to fit an 83mm spindle. This mod would work with the Next SL cranks, RF has an 83mm spindle. Downside is 5" tire clearance would require a chainring swap; only an issue in the deepest of winter.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Is anybody running a Wren Inverted Fork on their Wozo?

I am interested in its performance for technical, rocky, dirt riding. Not so much for snow, as a rigid fork is fine for that. I would like to upgrade to a 140mm travel fork to run with my 27+ wheelset that will give me hardhitting performance for summer riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post

I am interested in its performance for technical, rocky, dirt riding. Not so much for snow, as a rigid fork is fine for that. I would like to upgrade to a 140mm travel fork to run with my 27+ wheelset that will give me hardhitting performance for summer riding.
    Wait for the Manitou.

The Wozo is designed for a 100mm fork, so jumping 40mm is huge, you may not like the results.

I think 120mm is reasonable for this bike.

Edit: I've had three Wren and three Bluto forks, have one Bluto remaining, waiting on the Manitou Mastodon.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-27-2017 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is a good review vs the Bluto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI72pLUqsz0
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I picked up my Wozo last week to replace a Pugsley. I haven't gotten a ride on it yet as the trails are too wet for riding. I've just been playing around with it in the road. It was a big debate between a medium and a large. Both seemed to fit well. In the end I went with the medium as it felt more nimble. Can't wait to get on the trails. I've got a 2014 Precept DL that has been my summer bike. I'm curious to see if the Wozo will become my go to bike. Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_1004.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

The wren is great. I'm running 110 on mine with a 29 plus front and 27 plus rear. Feels great. The 140 might help compensate for the lowered bb due to the 27 plus wheels.

Ben might only have a bluto now but he seems to forget he was one of wrens biggest supporters while he had his 3(!) Wrens. Not sure why it sucks so much now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    The wren is great. I'm running 110 on mine with a 29 plus front and 27 plus rear. Feels great. The 140 might help compensate for the lowered bb due to the 27 plus wheels.

Ben might only have a bluto now but he seems to forget he was one of wrens biggest supporters while he had his 3(!) Wrens. Not sure why it sucks so much now.
    The Wren was never more than it is, the torsional flex, the cockeyed issues, poopy damper, those are unchanged.

The reason I got a Bluto for the Wozo was price (got it at cost) and because I knew the Mastodon was coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey Rvercoe. Looking to build a new wheel set for my WoZo. What rims did you use for your 3.8 / 3.0 combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Hey Rvercoe. Looking to build a new wheel set for my WoZo. What rims did you use for your 3.8 / 3.0 combo?

Sunringle Duroc 40/50, burly rims, excellent tubeless. Width will depend if you want a little extra tire or a little extra rim.

Personally, the size difference from 3.0 to 3.8 is a bit much for me, I'd run 3.0 front and rear for summer, then add an angleset and/or 120mm fork, that'll correct the low bb and give you the desired hta.

To get the tire differential with greater traction up front, pick a low tread rear. In 27.5 x 3.8 tires there are few choices, but in 3.0" there are tons of choices. 3.0" will also be lighter and more agile.

If I wanted a more "mixxer" kind of ride, I'd run 29+ front/27+ rear, same tire width.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah I do think I will go 27.5 x 3.0 front and back and bump the Bluto to 120. Thanks for the advice.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Hi RideMN,
    See below.
    Last edited by rvercoe; 03-30-2017 at 11:27 AM.

strider
    Nov 2010

Hi RideMN,
    I recommend the WTB Scraper 45 (45mm internal diameter) over the Duroc. Mostly due to the sleeved join on the rim rather than a spot weld join on the Durocs. Increased rim integrity at the join. But that is really mostly a concern if you are going to do big-hit, technical, or rocky riding. Smooth, flow, XC-style riding won't make a difference between either of those rims as they are about the same weight and price-point.

What I do know is that the Scrapers set-up tubeless ridiculously easy and solid. I have done all of mine and my wife's first try with an old floor pump. Something I always had a tougher time doing on any other brand or size of rim before and certainly not with a 100% success-rate without going to an air compressor.

As far as tire choice goes, here's the deal. I ride rocky technical terrain both for preference and for the fact there is an abundance of it nearby. So in order to achieve an "All-mtn hardtail" set-up that achieves acceptable levels of performance I have settled on the following: Bluto fork w/ 120mm travel, Minion FBF 3.8 front, Nobby Nik 3.0 rear. I tried a Rocket Ron (low tread type of tire) on the rear and found it noticeably lacking in the traction department for decomposed granite over solid rock and dirt, technical climbs, and rock hits. I switched to the meatier and slightly tougher NN and things are perfect in the rear-end for confident traction, handling and durability. Now for the Front, I started with the NN on the front when the RR was on the rear. Naturally, the NN was awesome up there. I'll admit the NN may be my favorite all around tire of all time. But, the 3.0/3.0 pairing left my bottom bracket and head angle too low and steep, respectively. At least for my needs (ie riding style and trails). I was getting more pedal strikes than desired in technical sections, even after accounting for more conscious pedal management, and the HA was a little too XC for what I needed. An angle set headset would have remedied the HA, but left the BB height arguably even a touch lower. So my most efficient and economical solution was to put the FBF 3.8 up front. This has increased BB height to a nice 311mm and set the HA at about 68 degrees.

Remember that the Wozo is originally designed around a 4.0 rear / 4.8 front 26 inch wheel combo to achieve the desired BB height and HA. This is replicated with the 27x3 / 27x3.8 combo, plus I get an extra bit from the 120 fork to slack the HA for more aggressive descending. Now, as Ben notes, I could also achieve this same result by using a 29x3.0 front wheel/tire, but that would necessitate a complete new front wheel and tire combo. Obviously, the other difference in using the 3.8 FBF over a 29x3 is the increased traction from a larger contact patch due to the width and the increased volume which adds additional undampened suspension. Neither of which increase rolling resistance much as it is on the front wheel, but does increase descending confidence when you weight the front end and dig that big tire in for all its worth.

In summary, definitely get a 45mm internal diameter rim (Scraper or Duroc) to have the greatest tire size applicability. Start with 3.0 tires and get the fork upto 120mm. If you prefer and ride more XC, flow, non-technical terrain then this set-up should be the bees knees for you. It is super fun and the low BB and plus tires' contact patch will have you cornering like a Jedi on a speeder bike. If you ride more technical terrain, you may find that a higher front end (either through a larger tire or longer travel fork) will be the antidote to get your BB and HA dialed. Ultimately, in my case, I would rather save my pennies for a 140mm fork up front and then put 27x3.0 NN or equivalent on my custom 27.5 wheelset that I just laid-out for.

Hope this helps, and thanks to the folks that provided feedback on 140mm fork recommendations and reviews.

Cheers, Rico

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thats great info. Thanks for the help guys!!

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Ben et al,

What face face spindle length do I need for a race face next sl G4 crank and which bottom bracket for the wozo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    RF Spindle is only offered in one length, different q depending on crank.

Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up. It might be a different story if plus/fat tires ran in small incrementd, 4.0/4.25 for example.

To think of it another way, would you run a 27.5 x 2.25 in the rear and a 27.5 x 3 in the front? Nah, no one does that, it'd be silly.

As to the rims, I'm gonna also disagree on the Scrapers. I've built two sets, trashed one set, still got one set, they build poorly, prone to flat spotting, get dinged easilly, and dent easilly. Durocs are bomber, typical Sunringle quality, WTB just doesnt compare. Second rim choice would be Velocity Dually, got a set of those on my plus bike, take a licking and still holding strong; though they tend to scratch easy.

Just a quick note on adding an angleset to the Wozo: because it would be an external lower cup, the HT is raised 10mm, so you get 0.5 deg slacker just by adding the angleset. That 10mm is nearly the same difference as you'll find between a 27.5 x 3.8 and a 27.5 x 4.8, now combine the angleset with a 120mm fork and you're HT end is more than an inch higher than stock.

Get some decent hubs, DT Swiss, Onyx, King.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up.
    Hey Ben, that's pretty cool. When did you start working in Kona's development team?

WNC Native
    Gotta disagrer on the 4.0/4.8 tire mixing. Granted, it's not uncommon to ride different tire widths, 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, but the difference between a 4.8 and a 4.0 is too great to be rational. It was a screw up. It might be a different story if plus/fat tires ran in small incrementd, 4.0/4.25 for example.
    Coming from some one who has recommended people try 27.5+ rear and 29+ front....?

It's not a screw up, it actually works rather nicely. Since when did you become the expert on being rational?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Coming from some one who has recommended people try 27.5+ rear and 29+ front....?

It's not a screw up, it actually works rather nicely. Since when did you become the expert on being rational?
    That was only while he was raving about how wonderful the Wren was.
    While raving about a bike with long chain stays
    But that was then....and this is now.....
    #alternatefacts

MSH
    mtbr member
    ...As to the rims, I'm gonna also disagree on the Scrapers. I've built two sets, trashed one set, still got one set, they build poorly, prone to flat spotting, get dinged easilly, and dent easilly....
    With regards to the Scrapers durability I don't have any personal experience, however, Chad at Red Barn in Montana who builds all my wheels indicated to me that he prefers the Scrapers because of their durability when I approached him for a set for my Wozo--> "I like the WTB's a little more for durability sake. Seem to be a little more stout." Chad does know just a thing or two about building wheels. If you do a search he's generally one of the long time, recommended wheelbuilders here on mtbr. He's been around a long time and I definitely value his opinion. Every one of the wheelsets he has built for me has been rock solid.

Chris Bling
    From my personal time on the Scrapers, they have been bomber. Granted, I run the right pressure so I am not touching the rim constantly on the trail.

The i40 vs the i45 Scraper are a bug difference. The i40 can't hold a candle to the durability of the i45.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I could say many things, but why bother, fat bike season is coming to an end, this forum will go into hibernation shortly.

See ya next season

strider
    Nov 2010
    I could say many things, but why bother, fat bike season is coming to an end, this forum will go into hibernation shortly.

See ya next season
    With a bike like the Wozo, I expect there to be a pretty outstanding summer (plus bike) season ahead. At least that is what I am counting on and the interest so far seems that others are going to give it a go as well. Thanks for contributing NB. As long as we are all having a Rad time riding and sharing our experiences, there shouldn't be any problem if we disagree on the details. Cheers.

Flying Sasquatch
    My fat bike season just started...???

... and I'm running a 4.8 front and 4.0 rear.

Maybe next year I'll get this fat biking thing figured out..

MSH
    mtbr member
    With a bike like the Wozo, I expect there to be a pretty outstanding summer (plus bike) season ahead. At least that is what I am counting on and the interest so far seems that others are going to give it a go as well. Thanks for contributing NB. As long as we are all having a Rad time riding and sharing our experiences, there shouldn't be any problem if we disagree on the details. Cheers.
    Agreed! Great thread w/ lots of good feedback/info. My summer wheels are being built up right now by Chad at Red Barn. Ended up going with i35s instead of i45s on my 29 wheels, so I can go + and also scale it back to 2.3s/2.4s with no issues. Chupacabras on order. Bumping the Bluto to 120mm. Should be a sh**ton of fun this summer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Let us know how you like that combo MSH!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Has anyone tried 27.5 x 3 rear and 29x 3 front.
    I am trying to keep the geometry close to stock. I don't think I want to put 29+ on rear to raise the stand over. However I would not mind to get the BB up a hair from stock set up.
    Would 27.5+ rear and 29+ front accomplish this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yes. That's how I'm running mine.

Steering is a bit floppy but manageable, and I quite like how the bike rides. BB still feels low to me, but I've really worked on technique and minimized pedal strikes using half strokes and timing cadence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20170429_145611.jpg  

strider
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=RideMN;13160050]Has anyone tried 27.5 x 3 rear and 29x 3 front.

A 27.5x3.8 is the same outer diameter as 29x3.0. That's what I run on the front with a 27.5x3.0 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [QUOTE=rvercoe;13160227]

A 27.5x3.8 is the same outer diameter as 29x3.0. That's what I run on the front with a 27.5x3.0 on the rear.
    That is not correct.

MSH
    mtbr member

That is not correct.
    Walt (Waltworks) seems to state otherwise here--->The Fat+Plus+Skinny do-it-all FAQ

"-Want even bigger wheels/more volume? No problem, 26◊4.8-5″ tires are about 760-770mm diameter. Thatís about the same as a 27.5◊3.8″ (Bontrager Hodag) or a 29◊3″ plus tire (ie Knard, Chupacabra, etc). So again, 3 wheel sizes/tire sizes will fit the frame without causing problems with handling..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the pic Shinkers! Looks sweet.
    Also, thanks for answering all my wheel questions guys. I need as much info as possible because I really want to get this right the first time. I will not be able to float another wheel build if this one does not work for me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    [QUOTE=rvercoe;13160227]

So far this combo is what I am leaning towards. 27.5 3.0/ 3.8. Seems like it will really liven the bike up on dirt / single track. I just don't want to build up some wheels and have it feel the same as it does now with stock wheels!
    I think 29+ would be great but like some of you have told me, it will be quite tall. The BB height intrigues me with 29+ but stand over may get tight.

strider
    Nov 2010
    That is not correct.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should be more specific considering NB's terse reply:

27.5 x 3.8= 770 mm outer diameter. As measured on a WTB 27.5 Scraper rim
    (45mm internal width) with a Maxxis Minion FBF 3.8 tire at 10psi. I have
    personally been riding this set-up for a month now and took the outer
    diameter measurement again this morning to confirm my measurements.

29 x 3.0= 768 mm outer diameter. As measured on a 35mm (outer width) rim
    with a Bontrager Chupacabra 3.0 tire (same outer diameter measured for
    Surly Knard 3.0 and Vee Tire Trax Fatty 3.25). Here is the source for these
    measurements: https://fat-bike.com/2014/10/product...ght-bontrager-
    chupacabra-29x3-0/

So, I will admit that I was not specific enough in my prior statement that 27.5x3.8 is the same outer diameter as a 29x3.0. The 27.5x3.8 is in fact 2mm larger to be exact. I figured even NB would allow +/- 2mm for discussion sake.

Either way let us know what you decide and enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I am trying to keep the geometry close to stock. I don't think I want to put 29+ on rear to raise the stand over. However I would not mind to get the BB up a hair from stock set up.
    Would 27.5+ rear and 29+ front accomplish this?

First of all, what size wheels and tires are you currently running? If you're running 26x4.8ish tires, then 29+ or 27.5x3.8(really 3.5) will be close to the same diameter and keep your geometry very close to stock. If you are running 26x4.0ish, then yes, 29+ will be taller. I don't like the idea of running 29+ front and 27+ rear, as it will mess with your angles and change the handling.

How about 29+ front and 27.5x3.8 rear? that might make a fun combo! Or just stick with the same size front and rear. If you think 29x3.0 will be too big, there is also 29x2.6, and there's also 29x2.8 tires coming soon.

WNC Native

27.5 x 3.8= 770 mm outer diameter. As measured on a WTB 27.5 Scraper rim
    (45mm internal width) with a Maxxis Minion FBF 3.8 tire at 10psi. I have
    personally been riding this set-up for a month now and took the outer
    diameter measurement again this morning to confirm my measurements.
    Interesting numbers you have there, as every other person is getting about 20mm smaller outer diameter with similar combos (with Hodag and Minion FBF on 45-50mm rims).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

strider
    Nov 2010
    Interesting numbers you have there, as every other person is getting about 20mm smaller outer diameter with similar combos (with Hodag and Minion FBF).
    Hi Nitrous,
    Yes, One thing to consider is that I find getting into plus and fat ranges that the tires do actually have a bit more 'stretch' after being mounted and settled into their own shape for a period of time. Especially after running them tubeless for a few weeks.
    The other is that the rim width can make a significant difference. That's why I always include the internal width rim measurement so as to account for that factor when folks are comparing wheel/tire combos.
    The third variable is of course the considerable range, or shall we say liberty, that the tire manufacturers take in claimed tire size and actual size.

Overall though, I would corroborate the Walt Works blog provided by MSH that the range is usually within the 760-770mm range.

mtbr member
    i have FBF 27.5x3.8 on 65mm external nextie rim so about 59mm internal?) and 2x hodags on 52mm external/45mm internal nexties and they are both ~750mm in diamter? perhaps a smidge under - this is akin to 29x2.4 really....

i have a few chupas, minion fbf and chronicle 29x3" and they are all in the 765mm diameter ish bracket

my flowbeist 26x4.5 is within a coupel mm of the hodag 27.5.

the barbigazi 27.5 i have is MASSIVE 770mm diameter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Interesting numbers you have there, as every other person is getting about 20mm smaller outer diameter with similar combos (with Hodag and Minion FBF on 45-50mm rims).
    That is correct.

strider
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=dRjOn

Thanks for the numbers dRjOn. I'll have to re-check my FBF measurements when I get home.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    27.5 x 3 Spec Purg 720mm, 42mm OD rim
    27.5 x 3.8 Minion 735mm, 50mm OD rim
    26 x 4.8 Minion 740mm, 65mm OD rim
    29 x 3 Minion 765mm, 50mm OD rim

YMMV

strider
    Nov 2010
    27.5 x 3 Spec Purg 720mm, 42mm OD rim
    27.5 x 3.8 Minion 735mm, 50mm OD rim
    26 x 4.8 Minion 740mm, 65mm OD rim
    29 x 3 Minion 765mm, 50mm OD rim

YMMV
    Wow, it is fascinating to see the range of variation in actual size in these plus and fat tires. I remeasured my 27.5 x 3.8 Minion on a 50mm OD rim and got closer to 760mm (rather than 770), but still much larger than NB's at 735.

mtbr member
    I think it would be really helpful to know what the tire pressure is when measuring, as that will make a big difference. Are you guys measuring at 30 psi, or at riding pressure, like 5 to 10 PSI? Also, new tires will be smaller than used tires that have stretched. I have a couple of these sizes but have never measured overall diameter, maybe I'll have to get my own measurements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Seems to me the Wozo ETT seems really really really long.

Small seems like a medium, medium like a large, and so on.

Is this correct?

I ride a Medium 9Zero7 which has a 602mm ETT and I wouldn't want a 628mm on the Wozo which would put me on a small at 599.

But hey I could have that WC XC racer seat height look

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I think it would be really helpful to know what the tire pressure is when measuring, as that will make a big difference. Are you guys measuring at 30 psi, or at riding pressure, like 5 to 10 PSI? Also, new tires will be smaller than used tires that have stretched. I have a couple of these sizes but have never measured overall diameter, maybe I'll have to get my own measurements.
    Not 30psi, typically 12-14 psi on the skinny tire, <10psi on the 4" tires, and 4-6psi on the fat tires.

@rvercoe: you need to check that measurement on the 3.8 Minion, ain't no way it's that tall. The 27.5 x 3.8 Minion and 26 x 4.8 Minion are very close to the same size, which is why they are a good two wheel combo.

29 x 3 are the tallest tires by far, which is part of the reason it's so hard to design a bike that can share wheels with this size, and design for a short chainstay.

For example, I can run 26 x 4.8 or 27.5 x 3.8 with my Wozo drops slammed (shortest), but when I switch to 29+ I don't have enough clearance so move the drops back ~ 10mm.

mtbr member
    I measured my 27.5 Hodag, mounted on a Nextie 65mm outside width rim at 750mm, at around 8 psi.

Nurse Ben: the 27.5x4.5 tires are even taller than 29+ I believe. I have a set mounted on Jackalop rims, but can't measure them right now as they are in VT and I'm in NY. I will post up measurements of my 29x3.25 tires, they are huge!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I measured my 27.5 Hodag, mounted on a Nextie 65mm outside width rim at 750mm, at around 8 psi.

Nurse Ben: the 27.5x4.5 tires are even taller than 29+ I believe. I have a set mounted on Jackalop rims, but can't measure them right now as they are in VT and I'm in NY. I will post up measurements of my 29x3.25 tires, they are huge!
    Possibly, don't have either to compare.

Honestly, I find the 29+ to be to much tire/wheel for anything tight, it's just to much wheel to finesse.

They are great for going fast and straight through gnar.

I used to ride a 36er muni, it was super fun, fast and flowy xc riding was a hoot, and I could make it handle techy stuff, but there is a point at which bigger is not better.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 29" wheels as 27.5, that way I have set of 3.8 and 2.8, as well as 26 x 4.8 for winter.

The ride with the Mastodon EXT 120mm travel fork is exceptional.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Hey NB,
    How is the 2.8 set-up working for ya?
    I am asking because I am going to install an Angleset headset w/ the external lower bearing cup next week in hopes that it gives me that additional 10-14mm lift so that I can perhaps run a 3.0 up front and still have the BB clearance I need. I am really enjoying my current set-up with 3.0 x 3.8 and a 120mm fork as far as BB height and HA goes for clearance and handling on technical terrain. I call that me "funduro" set-up as it is a ripper and bombproof, but it would be nice to go a bit skinnier up front for full X-C applications such as our local summer race series.
    Have you tried an angleset on the Wozo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey NB,
    How is the 2.8 set-up working for ya?
    I am asking because I am going to install an Angleset headset w/ the external lower bearing cup next week in hopes that it gives me that additional 10-14mm lift so that I can perhaps run a 3.0 up front and still have the BB clearance I need. I am really enjoying my current set-up with 3.0 x 3.8 and a 120mm fork as far as BB height and HA goes for clearance and handling on technical terrain. I call that me "funduro" set-up as it is a ripper and bombproof, but it would be nice to go a bit skinnier up front for full X-C applications such as our local summer race series.
    Have you tried an angleset on the Wozo?
    2.8's are not built yet.

Figure on 1/2" drop from 3.8 to 3.0, 1/2" rise from a increasing fork travel to 120mm, so a push from stock. 2.8's are shorter yet, so you'll end up lower by 1/4-1/2", not a lot, but enough. If you're running 175mm crsnks, going to 165mm would improve clearance.

Anglesets work fine, you get the increased height from the external cup, but they're heavy and not as solid as a fixed headset... too bad you can't just buy an external lower cup.

It'd be a bettet investment to soend the $150 angleset money on a 120mm Ext Mastodon, which will add ~20mm bb height, give you a better ride, you'll have the ability to lower or raise the fork using a shock pump, and you'll have the bb height to run 2.8-3.

I did all this stuff with my previous fat bikes, multiple wheelsets and tires sizes, angleset, varying fork length, etc. .. 2.8-3 is the ticket for summer riding.i hzve abplus bike, it's my go to when it's dry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Wozo great

Just upgraded my fork removed the Bluto and put on a Lauf Carbonara. Bike now weighs 30.4 pounds!! Not bad more a aluminum fat bike!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0208.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    That's sweet^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I "may" be selling my Wozo frame, sz Large.

It'll be packaged with an Easton 150mm dropper, RF BB, CC Headset, and a Bluto 120mm RC2.

Frame, fork, HS, BB, and dropper are in excellent condition.

I love this frame, but no worries, it's being replaced with a Lenz Fatillac.

Edit: I won't know until my Fatillac frame turns up. I'll post a formal ad when it's time.

Thanks
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 08-09-2017 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I may be selling my Wozo frame, sz Large.

It'll be packaged with an Easton 150mm dropper, RF BB, CC Headset, and a Bluto 120mm RC2.

Frame, fork, HS, BB, and dropper are in excellent condition.

I love this frame, but no worries, it's being replaced with a Lenz Fatillac.

It'll be a few weeks yet... so start lining up
    How much?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How much ya got?

I'm mostly putting out a feeler, not in a hurry, still need to receive the Fatillac frame, build it, and see what tire combos will fit, but figure $400-450 frame, $400 fork, $300 dropper, $75 BB/HS... ~ $1150-1200. I may end parting it out, though it'd be less irritating to sell it as listed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    How much?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How much ya got?

I'm mostly putting out a feeler, not in a hurry, still need to receive the Fatillac frame, build it, and see what tire combos will fit, but figure $400-450 frame, $400 fork, $300 dropper, $75 BB/HS... ~ $1150-1200. I may end parting it out, though it'd be less irritating to sell it as listed.
    Sweet!

Somebody buy my ICT frame so I can get my butt on a Wozo! I need some short chainstays!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is there a medium frame for sale?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanr View Post
    Is there a medium frame for sale?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2103592/

Good luck getting a frame. I had to go to Canada to get my frames and the frames I got were apparently not frames designed to be sold so much as warranty replacement overstock.

May check around with a Canadian Kona dealer, see what they have in the system.

Maybe Kona will seel frame only this year?

Great

mtbr member
    2018 Wozo colorway spotted

Not bad

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-20525356_1648015285218959_8902156441318361353_n.jpg

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    2018 Wozo colorway spotted

Not bad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20525356_1648015285218959_8902156441318361353_n.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	1150254
    Kinda like it too.

mtbr member
    Kinda like it too.
    If Kona did a threaded BB on this version I could overlook it being aluminium and order one. Sigh

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If Kona did a threaded BB on this version I could overlook it being aluminium and order one. Sigh
    It's not a deal breaker. Just get one of those fancy bolt on bb's. I have an RF PF bb, works fine, nice and quiet.

Anyone know if the 2018 geo changed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Kinda like it too.
    Is that the shop in Truckee?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Love that color combo. Anything change other then color and tires??

mtbr member
    Just got of the phone with my dealer, frame only is an option for 2018!

Better snatch one up b4 they sell out

$699 w/ maxle

Medium or Large

The medium numbers line up with my Large Canfield Epo that I am very comfy on, but shop says Large for sure, hmmmm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is great news, I love the Wozo and was really bummed that they didn't make it available as anything but a complete.

I had a medium and a large frame, I built the medium first and I could have rode it, but the bars were in my knees with a 50mm stem and my feet were a little too touchy with the front wheel. The upside of a Medium frame is standover is waaay better and I could have run a longer dropper (175mm vs the 150mm I have now).

I've been ridding the large frame as a 29+, 27.5 x 3.8, 27.5 x 2.8, 26 x 4.8. The bb on the Wozo is a bit low even with a Mastodon 120 EXT. I think it rides best as a 27.5 x 3.8, which is how I ride it most of the time.

My large is running a 35mm stem, seat is about center on the fore/aft adjustment.

If I was going to be using it more as a jump bike, kinda like a mini BMX, then I'd go with a medium. For winter use and bikepacking I'll stick with a large.

I'm 6', 32" inseam, sz 13 flippers.

Edit: Confirmed with Kona Central, frames are available, first come, no changes other than color.

Just got of the phone with my dealer, frame only is an option for 2018!

Better snatch one up b4 they sell out

$699 w/ maxle

Medium or Large

The medium numbers line up with my Large Canfield Epo that I am very comfy on, but shop says Large for sure, hmmmm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone want to trade their medium green 2017 Wozo frame for my large green 2017 Wozo frame?

Now that I have the Fatillac, I'm considering downsizing my Wozo so it's more of a play bike

I don't like the 2018 Wozo in blue.

Anyone?

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Interesting, another Fatillac owner. Selling my Fatillac frame or possibly complete build very soon. Such an incredibly capable bike with 26 fat or 27.5+

Planning to buy a Wozo frame, trying to decide Medium or Large based on this thread's recommendation. 5'10.5" with regular proportions, leaning towards Medium.

Anyone want to trade their medium green 2017 Wozo frame for my large green 2017 Wozo frame?

Now that I have the Fatillac, I'm considering downsizing my Wozo so it's more of a play bike

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Interesting, another Fatillac owner. Selling my Fatillac frame or possibly complete build very soon. Such an incredibly capable bike with 26 fat or 27.5+

Planning to buy a Wozo frame, trying to decide Medium or Large based on this thread's recommendation. 5'10.5" with regular proportions, leaning towards Medium.
    Medium, large will neuter you

The large is long and has a fairly high standover. My large fits fine, but I want to use it for play, so I need better standover and a shorter reach.

The Wozo is a great frame I'm going to run a longer dropper (175mm if it fits), an angleset -1.0 or -1.5, 130-140mm Manitou STD.

Do you have one of Mike's Fatillac or did you get one direct?

Why selling?

My Minion 4.8 on LM 65mm are a tad too wide to fit the Fatillac, so I'm looking at a JJ 4.4, what's the widest 26" tire you've run?

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good to hear, standover is important. Glad to hear a Medium Wozo is similar in fit to a Large Epo - I have (and am currently selling) a Large Epo. Planning to order a Medium Wozo frame this week.

Have a Fox 34 140 Boost Plus that I might try to drop down to 120. Fits a Flowbeist 4.6 on Marge Lite with a little clearance. And on deck is a Supermax 130 which also fits a 4.6, has a long offset but that isn't a detriment for snow riding.

Bought my Fatillac frame direct from Devin. Rear clearance of those frames varies depending on date of manufacture, later typically have better clearance. Mine was one of the first but still has decent room for a 4.0 Van Helga. A 4.4 JJ *might* fit.

Would prefer not to sell such a capable fatbike as the Fatillac. Excellent for technical snow riding. Great with 27.5+ for summer riding. Folks say it is very good with 27.5x3.8 also. However, I just started a new Switchblade which is awesome for 3-season riding and (possibly) fat front for snow. I believe an aggressive hardtail fatbike like the Wozo is a better complement to my stable.

Medium, large will neuter you

The large is long and has a fairly high standover. My large fits fine, but I want to use it for play, so I need better standover and a shorter reach.

The Wozo is a great frame I'm going to run a longer dropper (175mm if it fits), an angleset -1.0 or -1.5, 130-140mm Manitou STD.

Do you have one of Mike's Fatillac or did you get one direct?

Why selling?

My Minion 4.8 on LM 65mm are a tad too wide to fit the Fatillac, so I'm looking at a JJ 4.4, what's the widest 26" tire you've run?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good to hear, standover is important. Glad to hear a Medium Wozo is similar in fit to a Large Epo - I have (and am currently selling) a Large Epo. Planning to order a Medium Wozo frame this week.

Have a Fox 34 140 Boost Plus that I might try to drop down to 120. Fits a Flowbeist 4.6 on Marge Lite with a little clearance. And on deck is a Supermax 130 which also fits a 4.6, has a long offset but that isn't a detriment for snow riding.

Bought my Fatillac frame direct from Devin. Rear clearance of those frames varies depending on date of manufacture, later typically have better clearance. Mine was one of the first but still has decent room for a 4.0 Van Helga. A 4.4 JJ *might* fit.

Would prefer not to sell such a capable fatbike as the Fatillac. Excellent for technical snow riding. Great with 27.5+ for summer riding. Folks say it is very good with 27.5x3.8 also. However, I just started a new Switchblade which is awesome for 3-season riding and (possibly) fat front for snow. I believe an aggressive hardtail fatbike like the Wozo is a better complement to my stable.
    Gotcha, some changes along the way, mine fits a Minion 3.8 just right. I'd like to see an upgraded swingarm, needs a little width at the seat stays to take a 4.8 Minion, would need some length to run anything taller.

I'm not sure it's worth going down to a JJ 4.4 just so the two bikes can share all three wheels.

I'm considering a 27.5 x 60mm rim with a 4.5 to replace the 26" wheel, this would be only for the Wozo.

Do you run a dropper on your Fatillac? Tight fit, insertion is only 160mm, so I got just enough for a 125mm internal post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Yeah, I am 5'10.5. I started with a large frame and the stand over height put the top tube right against the fellas. My lbs let me swap for a medium which was much better and gave me the clearance to go to 120 mm fork with my summer wheels. That's just my experience. Awesome bike though!

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would be quite surprised if the Fatillac chainstays/yoke could be redesigned to fit a 4.8 Minion. Maybe a 4.6 Dunderbeist. The VanHelga 4.0 is an excellent snow tire with far superior traction to the Jumbo Jim. I might consider the JJ for fast groomed snow racing but always want max grip for trail riding.

Like you said, as a dropper for the Fatillac, 125mm is probably max. Gravity Dropper was my best choice for that seatpost. It's fugly but the mechanical works in all conditions, unlike most hydraulics.

For the Wozo, in addition to 65mm Marge Lites, I will be running 50mm Scrapers. Should be fine for 27.5x3.8 and maybe Gnarwhal front. I would imagine a 27.5 60mm rim would be good for anything 3.0-4.5" Interested to hear how the Wozo rides with 27.5x3.8 Minions in various conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I mostly ride the Wozo with 3.8 Minions, shorter wheels drop the bb too much. It rides fine with plus wheels, but I didn't like 29+ that much.

I rode the Wozo this morning, big climb on sand and rock, nice dowhnill run through a wash, no complaints, great bike.

I'll probably add an angleset and reset the fork to an STD 130mm, maybe get a medium frame depending on how it rides.

I'm running Next SL.170mm Cranks, got Eagle GX 165mm on order for the Fatillac, will probably get shorter Cranks for the Wozo as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nurse Ben-
    I don't have a trade, but I'd be interested in the large frame if you decide to sell it.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ordering a medium frame. Once it arrives I need to finish the Fatillac build, start the Wozo rebuild, see if I can run a longer post, at which point I'll price it out.

Definitiely selling the large frame, 120mm Bluto fork, CC headset, and maybe an Easton 150mm dropper.

I've got a bunch of folks who want to buy it, so let's wait until I have all the particulars worked out and I can put a price to the kit. I will not be interested in breaking it down further, there are too many people willing to buy it as a partial complete.

FYI, frame only is available from Kona direct.

[QUOTE=goose8;13299215]Nurse Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Fatillac sounds really cool Ben!

I am really loving the Wozo so I would encourage someone to pick up Ben's when it is up for sale! I have been riding all the same jumps and steep trails as my Giant Reign with the wozo and having a blast.

Untitled by avyoung, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sounds good! I live close to the Canadian border so I might just get one directly. The price is right but it looks like it's going to be challenging to find a large.

Nice build GspotRider! Glad to hear it's capable of riding such a variety of trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode mine last weekend on the TRT, Tahoe Meadows to Marlett. Typically I ride an FS for the tech, jumping, etc.. but I took the Wozo because my kids were on hardtails.

It was such a hoot, jumping on the Wozo is like riding a big DJ, so agile and fun, smooths out the little hits, takes drops like a big bike, so easy to manual.

I'm getting a medium so I can reduce the bulk/wheelbase for more agility and so I can run a 175mm dropper.

I do wish they'd slacked out the HA and added another 10mm to the chainstay yoke width, but no worries, it's a great bike and very adaptable. I'll probably add an Anglset once I get the Mastodon reduced, which will net me about a 67deg HA with 130mm travel and the 10mm external lower cup.

My Fatillac is getting a -10 deg Angleset plus 150mm travel, so it'll be about 66 deg HA.

Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    I am really loving the Wozo so I would encourage someone to pick up Ben's when it is up for sale! I have been riding all the same jumps and steep trails as my Giant Reign with the wozo and having a blast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone have measurements on the bottom bracket and chain line? The kona website is very lacking in technical information or contact information for them. I'm ordering parts and had planned on running regular width race face turbines thinking it was a BB92 but the kona site lists PF92 (which to my understanding is not an actual standard) and in another post someone said the BB shell width measured 100mm. If this does take a regular width crank set, are boost chain rings working OK with the chain line? If it's some fat/ mid-fat width crank, are people having luck with regular offset chain rings?

Can someone confirm the headset is a ZS44/ ZS56?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Using an RF Turbine, RF PF92 BB (press fit), works fine, from memory a 2mm spacer on drive side, 3mm spacer on non drive side, chain ring with 6mm offset works.

RF Next SL fit is better, lower q, improved chain line, but more $$.

It is supposedly a ZS44/ZS56, I have an Angleset on order in that size. Haven't measured it recently... but that's what I remember.

[QUOTE=yeti187;13310732]Does anyone have measurements on the bottom bracket and chain line? The kona website is very lacking in technical information or contact information for them. I'm ordering parts and had planned on running regular width race face turbines thinking it was a BB92 but the kona site lists PF92 (which to my understanding is not an actual standard) and in another post someone said the BB shell width measured 100mm. If this does take a regular width crank set, are boost chain rings working OK with the chain line? If it's some fat/ mid

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got my 2018 Kona Wozo medium frame in a lovely shade of pastel blue. OMFG, who's idea was it to paint the Wozo this color? Seriously, I'm thinking about powder coating the frame as it is waaay fugly!

Anyway, I'm piecing together the frame swap, once it's done I'll put up a formal list and price, so far it's looking like 2017 Large Wozo frame, RF 150mm dropper with Wolf Tooth lefty lever, Bluto RT3 120mm, CC Headset.

I would much prefer selling the parts and frame together, so offers for the entire kit are preferred. Frame is in good shape, no dents or gauges, a comple small paint chips. Bluto has very few miles on it, winter use only. Dropper is in great shape, lever is new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Okay I've read through this thread and it appears that some of y'all (NurseBen) are running 4.8's on 65 mm rims out back. Was wondering how wide a Minnion 4.8 is mounted on 65 mm rim tubed or tubless and at what psi typically.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey NB. What length stem you plan to run on your medium wozo?
    Just curious. I have a 50mm stem now and thinking about going back to the stock size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    On a Large Wozo I have a 35mm, so I'll probably start with a 50mm, maybe a 60mm, just depends on how it feels riding. I tend to work on butt and leg position relative to the bb, then work from there.

Lately I'm liking things a little less stretched out due to neck pain.

What's the stock size?

Hey NB. What length stem you plan to run on your medium wozo?
    Just curious. I have a 50mm stem now and thinking about going back to the stock size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Frame swap is complete, baby blue:

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-kimg0058.jpg

Going with a 45mm stem for now, may bump to a 60mm.

175mm dropper was a no go, insert and extension between a 175mm and a 150mm we're too close to be worth the cost and weight.

Sadly, the internal angleset was designed around a 1 1/8" steerer, so my only option is an external cup angleset which adds 10mm of A-C.

Waiting on parts for the fork conversion from an EXT to an STD, planning to run 130-140mm.

So, I got a used but not abused Kona Wozo size large frame, typical cable and tire rub marks, no dents. Also have a current model, barely used Bluto RC3 120mm fork with star nut and CC race. No headset, no spare parts, just a bare frame and the fork.

A new Wozo frame is $700 plus tax from your local Kona dealer. Blutos RC3 goes for $600 or so. I'd like to get 1k for the pair delivered in the Continental USA.

PM to make a deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Looks good man!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm running RF Next SL Cinch 170mm carbon cranks they are slightly narrower than the RF Turbine (~6mm per side), chainstay clearance is 9-10mm. You can check the RF sie to see the q factors.

Not sure if any crank set will have a lower q, the Next SL is a pretty flat crank arm.

Something I've considered is cutting the BB down to fit an 83mm spindle. This mod would work with the Next SL cranks, RF has an 83mm spindle. Downside is 5" tire clearance would require a chainring swap; only an issue in the deepest of winter.
    This would be really neat, but is it really possible? To safely reduce the shell of an aluminum frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sure, it's just metal, if you have a jig to make the cut square. Walt at Waltworks did one for a client, I think it was steel.

I'm not cutting mine down, I'd sooner get Walt to build me a custom frame, then the HTA/STA and post insertion would be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    This would be really neat, but is it really possible? To safely reduce the shell of an aluminum frame?

Rocks belong
    I got to see a Wozo in person today. Helped a buddy install the bottom bracket and headset on his '17 Wozo XL. I really like the matte blue color!

Also got to see a Manitou Mastadon in person as well... that's a burly fat fork! The tire clearance is HUGE!

120 Mastadon fits great on his XL Wozo with a standard headset. Looks to be a killer setup!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A Mastodon also fit great on a Large frame, but on my Medium frame there is only ~2mm of clearance, so I suspect a Small frame would not clear; which was suggesed by another poster.

It really is a big fork, but it is also a great fork, so I suppose the frame builders will need to make adjustments.

I do wish that Manitou would build a B+/B Fat fork, same internals and stanchions, but with a narrower crown, enough clearance for 3-4" tires, could double as a 29+ fork.

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I got to see a Wozo in person today. Helped a buddy install the bottom bracket and headset on his '17 Wozo XL. I really like the matte blue color!

Also got to see a Manitou Mastadon in person as well... that's a burly fat fork! The tire clearance is HUGE!

120 Mastadon fits great on his XL Wozo with a standard headset. Looks to be a killer setup!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No offers on my Large Wozo Frame and Bluto 120mm fork?

Last call before I put it on Pink Bike...

Sizing, yes, the big question:

I'm 6', 32" inseam, normal proportions. Honestly, I loved the fit of my Large Wozo, ran it with a Bluto 120, then a Mastodon EXT 120, 170mm cranks, 40mm stem, 150mm dropper.

So why change?

Well, first off I thought I could run a 175mm dropper. Didn't fit.
    Secondly I wanted a more agile bike for fat bike trials, so a lower standover and shorter wheelbase. Standover is better by an inch, but not as noticeable as I'd hoped. The wheelbase is shorter by an inch and the bike does feel tighter and more agile at low speeds. At high speeds I find the bike to be a little less stable than the larger frame.

I'm now running my Medium Wozo with a Mastodon EXT 120, 170mm cranks, 60mm stem, 150mm dropper. I plan to change the fork to an STD which will reduce the A-C by 20mm. I will be adding an Angleset which will raise A-C 10mm. Finally I'm swapping to 165mm cranks.

At my size I could go either way on the frame size. I rode the large for a year, now I'll ride the medium. I don't know that there is a perfect size when you're on the size fence. If I was a couple inches shorter I would definitely ride a medium. If I was a couple inches taller I would definitely ride a large. My son is 6'5" and when he rode my Large Wozo he said it fit okay; I'd probably put him on an XL if I built him a Wozo, but he's really tall.

The Wozo is an inexpensive, well designed fat bike with adjustable drops, solid geo, and excellent performance. It's one of the best fat bikes available.

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Excited to start building my Wozo. Mastodon Pro 120, 26-fat and 27.5+/fat wheelsets.

Frame Bag: Anyone know what brand/style/size fits a medium Wozo best?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    BTW: it was the standard Mastadon 120 fork
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Those running 29+, how much room in the sliders is there to adjust for Singlespeed use? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Look a my picture, blue bike, frames are already available.

FYI, Kona is going direct, dealers are not pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Anyone have an update when the next run of Wozo's is supposed to be available? I know Nurse Ben mentioned Spring 2017, but was wondering if anyone had anything more specific? I sent an email to Kona, as well as, have a local dealer here in Denver checking but haven't heard back.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast