mtbr member

Knobby knobs after studs

In March I picked up a sweet end-of-season deal on a Farley 7. It's a great bike and I'm loving the added volume of bigger fat tires. That said, I ran 4" Nates with 150 Gripstuds each on my Fatback in winters past, and am still pondering a stud solution for Farley next winter.
    So here's the rub- the 300 gripstuds in the Nates are still in great shape. I loved the old studded Nates, but definitely want a 5" studded tire next year. So I'm pretty sure that I want to repurpose the $300 worth of studs into a future set of 5" tires. That said, I'd also like to run the Nates- without studs- on the old Fatback as a backup bike or lender.
    Does anyone have experience running knobby, siped tires, such as the Nate, AFTER removing Gripstuds? If so, did it compromise the handling and durability of the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

mtbr member
    That raises a question.

When you're running studs on an ultra low pressure tyre, do you actually get much bite?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Absolutely. Those Nates stick to ice like Velcro. With 150 in each tire, I think about 4-6 studs are always in contact per tire. And Gripstuds are just a better stud in terms of material and design. They protrude more than factory studs do, and they bite more deeply than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

All fat, all the time.
    Other then the time wasted factor, I'd definitely go for it.
    Fat tires are too expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Absolutely. Those Nates stick to ice like Velcro. With 150 in each tire, I think about 4-6 studs are always in contact per tire. And Gripstuds are just a better stud in terms of material and design. They protrude more than factory studs do, and they bite more deeply than most.
    Thanks. I have a bag of Grip Studs, but the last few winters here haven't justified them, so I have just used Nates without. I should probably sit down and do the studding job in autumn because it's a job I keep putting off.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Thanks. I have a bag of Grip Studs, but the last few winters here haven't justified them, so I have just used Nates without. I should probably sit down and do the studding job in autumn because it's a job I keep putting off.
    Maybe we should trade my pair of studded Nates for your unstudded Nates and 300 Gripstuds?
    -Chris