mtbr member

Knard 3.8 ride reports?

struggling to find any info... i know they are (k)new...

specifically wondering how they get on in mud/roots/rocks rather than snow.

ta!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    struggling to find any info... i know they are (k)new...

specifically wondering how they get on in mud/roots/rocks rather than snow.

ta!
    curious as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Or the sand for that matter

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    does anyone even have them yet? They seem more like vaporware at this point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    does anyone even have them yet? They seem more like vaporware at this point.
    There are a few on Ebay if you are interested

mtbr member
    For what its worth Speedway cycles in Anchorage has 4 and they have been there for a while.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    The local REI in Anchorage also had a pair last time I was in there about a week ago. Looking at them for winter riding, I don't know that they'd work that great. The blocks are too close together and look like they'd pack up with snow pretty quickly. I'd assume the same for mud. I believe I read a report somewhere in the forums that said they weren't so hot for those types of situations, but can't find it now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used one for a month as a front before the snow came. It is great in the dirt or frozen dirt, it has less traction than a Husker Du which is already not too great traction wise unless it's in dirt. I found it to wash out in mud and snow or wet rocks and roots, not very confidence inspiring. It does ride well on a packed snow trail but other than that it is in my opinion more of a summer tire where it rolls fast and corners great on dirt. This is when I will use it.

-Nolan

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    I used one for a month as a front before the snow came. It is great in the dirt or frozen dirt, it has less traction than a Husker Du which is already not too great traction wise unless it's in dirt. I found it to wash out in mud and snow or wet rocks and roots, not very confidence inspiring. It does ride well on a packed snow trail but other than that it is in my opinion more of a summer tire where it rolls fast and corners great on dirt. This is when I will use it.

-Nolan
    Thanks. I bought my wife's folding 26x3.8" at the beginning of December, (but then gave them to her on her bike for XMas), so they've been available for at least a month and a half.

She's been riding them, but if I asked her how they felt, she'd just respond with "OK". If they were bad, she'd say "I hate them", but that's about it.

I don't want her to crash in sketchier conditions, so I may put a Husker Du on the front of her bike for better traction when the time comes.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

NMBP
    I like mine a lot on the rear for trail riding. Very fast rolling. I did a little riding in some wet sand, and it did very well there too. I like a nice grippy and nobby tire on the front, so I will probably leave it on the back for the summer. I like my Nate's on both the front and rear in the snow. I would buy it again.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Nolan - I'm curious what tire you like up front in snow?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    eastman115: I like a Nate or a Bud up front for snow, mud and wet conditions. I do like the Husker Du as a front and will probably put the Knard out back and in the summer and try that combo.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used Knard 3.8 120's front and rear at last weekend's Farmer's Fat Bike Race (thanks Scotty- it was great fun!) and thought they did well. 90% of the course was well-packed single track, some small sandy stretches, a nasty mud section and then a snow/slush portion at the base of the ski hill. They did well on everything but the snow (it was soft and loose, like late afternoon spring corn), but that was more my problem than anything. FWIW, they were running on 47 mm trials rims with skinny tubes, so the pressure was up near 10 PSI to keep the beads well seated. I am going with full-on 4.0 tubes for this weekend with hopes of running lower pressures. Nice tires, but not light (over 1400 g per tire, so not "ultralight" by any means). Less rolling resistance than the Nates, slightly more than the Larrys.

PS- I tried every way I knew how to get them to seat tubeless at low pressures, but no dice. Maybe on wider rims, but it was scary on the 47's. At 10 or less PSI, I could squeeze the tire and burp it. Above 10 PSI, it's not worth it for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have two rides on a 26 x 3.8 120 tpi Knard, previous tires ridden were the Larry 27tpi, BFL, and Devist8or.

First off, digital weight was 1350gm, mounted up easilly on an LM XC rims, running a Maxxis Freeride 26 x 2.5 tube, filled to 30psi to seat, spun true without need to reset bead, dropped the pressure to 15psi and went out for a trail ride on muddy single track.

The tire seems to have more "substance" than the Larry, so 15psi felt way too firm, so I gradually dropped the pressure to 10psi and felt like I hit a happy medium; good feel, not too spongy, minimal bounce, decent edging. I did try 8psi, but at my weight and for my uses the sidewall was a little too sloppy, so I went back to 10psi.

On wet roots and rocks the tire rolled fine, on par with a Larry, not quite as good as the Devist8or. On level ground the tire is very smooth and fast, as you'd expect. I got sideways a few times and found the tire was very predictable, so that was a nice improvement over the Larry.

In terms of tracking, the tire has some auto-steer, worse at higher pressures. Strangely, the tire will occasionally decide to have a "mind of it's own" and head off into the woods, this may be a camber issue as the Knard really does not like off camber trail. On flat ground the tire is very stable and smooth riding.

Both of my rides were on wet, rooty/rocky single track, sadly the snow that fell was quick to melt, so no snow riding feedback yet.

I like the Knard better than the Larry, but I don't think it rides as well overall as the Devist8or; which is my favorite trail tire for wet or dry, but then the Devist8or is also a pig at 1850gm, so the Knard is far less work to ride.

I did some signifcant climbing with the Knard and found it to be a good climber, literally crawled up and over roots, this may be it's strong point as there were times when I came to a stall on a hill and was able to crank up and over a root without falling.

I'm tempted to reinstall the other tires and do some compare and contrast, just to see if my memory is serving me well.

Keeping in mind that I ride muni, I think this is a good tire for front end bike use as it is fast rolling and fairly light, bi directional tread is cool, not so sure how it would work on the back, I like riding it as a single tire, so it might be fun esp if you like to slide around your back end.

How about 1.5

BTW, if anyone is interested, I'd consider a swap for a Husker Du ultralight, send me a pm if interested.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 01-19-2013 at 07:01 PM.