Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Kids on Fat Bikes!

It was just under a mile to his school this morning, and only took 30 min (because we stopped for a quick bite to eat).....but I just had the best ride with my 6yr old

It was his first ride on his 24" Mini-sota....and he had a blast....especially riding straight through the snow packed field and playground up to the front of the school!
    Kids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0006-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0007-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0010-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0011-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0013-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0014-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0015-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0017-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0020-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is fantastic!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    good good.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

It is great!!

Kids on Fat Bikes!-20150117_160045.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-20150117_155950.jpg

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Since photo we dumped the crank in favor of a 2x with 22/32 and a Front Der with adapter and some X5 shifters. Need those low gears in snow... Also backed off the B tension screw as they factory has it all jacked up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I switched the ring to a 36T raceface with a matching bash gaurd. Also installed a set of avid juicy 3's I had laying around. Changed the pedals to anodized blue azonic dmx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Young kids on Mt bikes (fat or Standard) somehow always brings a smile to my face! Especially the serious rider types. It's just...great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This made me smile. Kids having fun outside of a good thing. Kids having fun along with their parents is a great thing. I look forward to to the day when I can ride with my son (almost a year old, so it will be a while). For now, he just gets to ride being me in the trailer (not in deep snow).

Have fun with the little adventurer!

mtbr member

Kids on Fat Bikes!

Here's my boy on his first fat ride.

mtbr member
    great pictures everyone.

mtbr member
    Great pictures guys!!! Borrowed my shorter friends Farley for my daughter to try out, she's hooked.

Must have been tough to get him to go into the school
    Technology dragass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    Great pictures guys!!! Borrowed my shorter friends Farley for my daughter to try out, she's hooked.

Must have been tough to get him to go into the school
    He was ready for a breather after riding the length of the ball field and the playground on that frozen hard packed snow....lol. I could see in his face that he was feeling it.

We will ride on the same frozen snow a bit farther after school on the tow path along the Delaware where we live. This Fat Biking is the perfect energy burner for an over active 6 yr old in these winter months. He will sleep gooooood tonight...lol,lol,lol!

Fat on Willand Pond
    Very nice! Thinking of getting a small 26 inch Minnesota next year for my up and coming 12 year old son. He has seen me on my bike this winter, smiling a lot, and wants in on the action next year!
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD View Post
    Since photo we dumped the crank in favor of a 2x with 22/32 and a Front Der with adapter and some X5 shifters. Need those low gears in snow... Also backed off the B tension screw as they factory has it all jacked up.
    Can you tell me what you used for the front Der. and clamp? I'm switching to an X5 22/32 crank this weekend. I'll start just using the 22, but ill want to make it a double.

BTW, my 9 yr old daughter loves her Mini-Sota! She rides it to school everyday, and we have been out on the local trails as well.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lamazion View Post
    Can you tell me what you used for the front Der. and clamp? I'm switching to an X5 22/32 crank this weekend. I'll start just using the 22, but ill want to make it a double.

BTW, my 9 yr old daughter loves her Mini-Sota! She rides it to school everyday, and we have been out on the local trails as well.
    Standard clamp on seat tube to direct mount adapter for 100mm BB. Most of the new ones have a spacer for standard BB width and 100mm. Problem Solvers and others make 100mm specific one. I believe we used an Origin 8. Standard Deore direct mount 2X front der.

Professional Crastinator
    Excellent!

I had my 9 yo daughter out for a fatbike demo and she was juuuust tall enough to ride an extra small Surly Pug Ops. It didn't take her long to figure out how to make a bike go in the snow (keep pedaling!) and soon she was having a blast. Only one other person her size showed up for the demo, so she got to turn a bunch of laps.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Really getting busy after school today.....first thing he asked when I picked him up from school..LOL!!! Can we go for a long ride Dad...LOL!!!Kids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0027-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0034-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0035-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0040-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0049-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Lots of coaching, but he did awesome for his first day on a FAT BIKE (especially since it's also his first 24" bike) in the snow and ice today.

#proudpapa

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Took a break from the cold and snow in the Northeast, and got the little guy out on beach terrain in Wilmington, NC today (55 degrees).

Kids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0295-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0236-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0205-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0159-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0102-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0221-2-.jpgKids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0317-2-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kids on Fat Bikes!-dsc_0090-2-.jpg  

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Too cool!

mtbr member
    A 6 year old on a 24" bike. Wow. Great score. He should be on that bike for a while, if your lucky.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saw View Post
    Too cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    A 6 year old on a 24" bike. Wow. Great score. He should be on that bike for a while, if your lucky.
    Thanks guys. He's been on 2 wheels since he was 4.....so as long as he can get on it....he can ride it. Although he won't turn 7 till September. ...he's on the tall side for his age (50"/60lbs).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Went for a 5 mile ride (4.5 on the beach and .5 on the road ) after we took pictures for my wife who stayed home

He was going north up the shore with ease (wind at our backs).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming back down the shore with a strong wind against us....totally different story. He gave it his all...lol. between mile 4 and 4.5, we had to stop 2-3 times so he could take a break. Finally, I told him we had to get off the beach and take the road the rest of the way....because I needed to find a store to get some Gatorade (I used that as an excuse so he didn't get discouraged about not making it back to the pier on the beach.).

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    S fl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kids on Fat Bikes!-0126131422a.jpg  

Kids on Fat Bikes!-dscf1746.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast