Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)

Only $50 each and 40 grams lighter than a Husker Du 120TPI??? That is for the 60TPI wire bead version. 120TPI folders not available yet. My LBS just got a few in and told me about them. I may need to go check them out - see if I like them, my son's Pugsley will need new tires soon.https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...7e&oe=5519446E" width="549">

gone walk about
    It was mentioned back in july in connection with the Scott big ed (fattie) and while there is mention of it in yet another thread it was about all the Scott brand offerings for 2015 so not much detail about the tires or big ed specifically. The more i've read about the tires in articles the more it mentions 2 sizes, i.e 4.0 & 4.5
    Kenda Juggernaut tires?

more details about Big Ed
    2015 Scott Bikes Big Ed Preview | Blurred

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah I did a search first and found only those references, nothing solid about the tires. Now that they are "in the wild" I was hoping to start some discussion. I may buy one (I already have one Panaracer Fat B Nimble) - the Juggernaut looks like it would be a good mate with the Fat B Nimble on my son's bike. He isn't very hard on tires though, being only 9 and 70lbs. I bought him a used Pugsley and the tires on it are somewhat worn out so was thinking of some new rubber for the snow this year.

gone walk about
    good idea destr0.
    Given it's weight it may be perfect for your son but for larger adults that can/will abuse them more on hardpacked ST or rock gardens it may not survive well. Both snow/sand is mentioned as its forte.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great price for a decent looking tire. Now we are getting somewhere!!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Looking for a winter tire. One of my distributors has the 60tpi in stock. Cheap.

May wait for the 120tpi tho.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Looking for a winter tire. One of my distributors has the 60tpi in stock. Cheap.

May wait for the 120tpi tho.

rog
    Same thing I was thinking with the FatBNimble, but then the 60TPI wire bead version was only $53 so I snagged one (one should always have a spare tire). This tire looks good too and only $50 - I think the old Endomorph 27TPI will make a great spare...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whoah, the 60tpi wire bead is down around 1250 grams? That's pretty impressive.

banned
    Sep 2008
    My worry with the 4.0 is the knobs are quite low pro. The 4.5 version looks much more aggressive and prolly better for snow. I don't want a heavy 4.5 tho. Any thoughts on how the 4.0 would be for snow?

rog

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i'll buy a set if someone posts a link. It looks like a good fast rolling summer tire.

Just hope the quality is OK for that price. It seems cheap. maybe too good to be true

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have the $53 Fat B Nimble and it is a nice looking tire for the price. I will let my 9 year old be the test subject on that one and one of these. Zion Cyclery has them in stock - (847) 746 2200 they do online orders but do not show these on the website yet. I am sure if you call them they will send them to you. My buddy from high school now owns that shop, his parents owned it for 20+ years before then. :-) Just like the Panaracer - never had a bad tire from Kenda and I have owned lots of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New Kenda Juggernaut Tires ? First Look! | FAT-BIKE.COM

If these weights are accurate (767g! for a 4.0), I may have trouble securing the contents of my wallet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post

If these weights are accurate (767g! for a 4.0), I may have trouble securing the contents of my wallet.

They could prob lower the weight even more if they decreased the size of that title block lettering. Holy crap! Seriously though, i'm ready to throw down on a set of these

Live Free & Ride
    I like em both at those weights! Run the 4.0 in the rear, 4.5 in the front...let the rear follow the lead.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    The 4.5 looks awesome for snow and ripped up trails. The 4.0 looks good for smooth singletrack. It will be a fast tire for sure.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

banned
    Sep 2008
    at that weight, i'm definitely getting a pair. BRAAAAAAAAAP!!!

rog

mtbr member
    Wow...this tire could really be a game changer. The price is great and the weight seems incredible (the fatbike.com weight numbers for the 4.0 seem off).
    I really like the tread pattern as well....
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    ...the only downside could be durability. They had to get the weight down somehow by removing material. If the rubber is too thin and you get a flat tire every time you ride over a twig, well then it won't matter what they weigh.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

All fat, all the time.
    I wonder how they will hold up to rocks and sticks..
    That is an amazing weight.
    Kind of glad I turned my hudu into studded winter tires....
    Now I have an official need for new summer tires.

aka bOb
    These weigh less than my 2.35x29 Schwalbe Nobby Nics, will they really hold up?

Elitest thrill junkie
    4" 100mm on a 65mm rim
    4.5 113mm on a 100mm rim?

Seems real strange, like the 4" version would measure at least 110ish on that 100mm rim.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    not to be a naysayer...well, i guess i *am* being a naysayer, but i just cant comprehend how a 4" tyre can weigh sub 800g. the racing ralpha lite skin 26x 2.2 is 500g. this is not a massive tyre and it is gossamer thin...i had some of the older 29x2.4 29er rr's and they were very light but unrideable for me due to there instability and puncture prone nature - just too thin. given that the 4" tyre is around twice the width of the lite skin, it would be going it some to be *less* than double the weight by a good margin, no? to achieve a sub 800g true fatty tyre they are either using unobtanium of some description in terms of tyre material (spiders silk casing?!) or the tyre will be unusable on anything but snow...

if its true and it works its a game changer.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    not to be a naysayer...well, i guess i *am* being a naysayer, but i just cant comprehend how a 4" tyre can weigh sub 800g. the racing ralpha lite skin 26x 2.2 is 500g. this is not a massive tyre and it is gossamer thin...i had some of the older 29x2.4 29er rr's and they were very light but unrideable for me due to there instability and puncture prone nature - just too thin. given that the 4" tyre is around twice the width of the lite skin, it would be going it some to be *less* than double the weight by a good margin, no? to achieve a sub 800g true fatty tyre they are either using unobtanium of some description in terms of tyre material (spiders silk casing?!) or the tyre will be unusable on anything but snow...

if its true and it works its a game changer.
    They failed to mention you have to fill each tire with 32 oz of Stans sealant and ride with a family-sized pack of Park emergency tire boots
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They're so light that you can easily carry a spare tire on your rides!
    I call upon our brethren over at fat-bike.com to properly thrash these tires during their testing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice, These tires only weigh 200 grams more than the stock tubes from my Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am going to order one up as soon as they become available. :-) If it doesn't last then I guess my trend of destroying tires quickly stays intact. :-)

All fat, all the time.
    I think I have an old UST nevegal that weighs close to that lol

mtbr member
    May 2011

re: Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)

There is no way these are weighing 800g. I'll believe it when someone gets them on a scale and takes pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    There is no way these are weighing 800g. I'll believe it when someone gets them on a scale and takes pictures.
    Unless these guys are either lying or don't know how to use a scale then I believe it.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz View Post
    Unless these guys are either lying or don't know how to use a scale then I believe it.
    I have seen a lot of variances from weight to width from early first runs to actual production. Hopefully this is not the case here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have seen a lot of variances from weight to width from early first runs to actual production. Hopefully this is not the case here.
    Even if they are off by a couple hundred grams still damn light. Hope Kenda has done plenty of testing and they turn out to be durable.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz View Post
    Hope Kenda has done plenty of testing and they turn out to be durable.
    They are about to.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

=========
    I think I remember how to use a Park Digital Scale. You put the object that you wish to weigh on top and then read the numbers that come up on the screen right?

Follow us on instagram if you want to see a photo of the Kenda Pro Juggernaut 4.0 on the scale. The photo is of the third time that I weighed them. #fatbikedotcom

Triple F & CFTF40 Winner, Twin Six's, Jesse LaLonde, will be conducting our initial 3 week test followed by World Record Holder, ITI 350 winner, Arrowhead 135 winner, Kevin Breitenbach. Two incredibly fast guys that lay down some serious training miles and know a thing or two about fat bikes.

We love this stuff just as much as you guys and we do our best to get it right. Check back at the end of the month and we'll have Jesse's Juggernaut Report and more.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks gomez can't wait to see the report on these tires.

mtbr member
    Nice. Looking forward to hearing the follow up on durability and what the guys thought about them after some serious miles.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0

These should make fans of the old Endomorph happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hear some Kenda's are making their way to Anchorage in the near future...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anybody have an idea on when these will be available for purchase? I'm shopping wheelsets, but these would shave off over 2lbs on my current setup. I might just keep my wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gooutsidetoday View Post
    Anybody have an idea on when these will be available for purchase? I'm shopping wheelsets, but these would shave off over 2lbs on my current setup. I might just keep my wheels!
    I sent them an email. I'll post up if I hear back. Juggernauts are not even listed on the Kenda website yet.

MLR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    I think I remember how to use a Park Digital Scale. You put the object that you wish to weigh on top and then read the numbers that come up on the screen right?

Follow us on instagram if you want to see a photo of the Kenda Pro Juggernaut 4.0 on the scale. The photo is of the third time that I weighed them. #fatbikedotcom

Triple F & CFTF40 Winner, Twin Six's, Jesse LaLonde, will be conducting our initial 3 week test followed by World Record Holder, ITI 350 winner, Arrowhead 135 winner, Kevin Breitenbach. Two incredibly fast guys that lay down some serious training miles and know a thing or two about fat bikes.

We love this stuff just as much as you guys and we do our best to get it right. Check back at the end of the month and we'll have Jesse's Juggernaut Report and more.

Thanks Gomez...Personally I have been waiting for Schwalbe to release the Jumbo Jim's as my new 3 season tire, but this has me holding back on my pre-order.
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Kenda's reply to my inquiry: "The Juggernaut pro will not be available until late spring 2015. The wire bead is available now though."

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The weight is accurate.
    At the Bike Week in Taichung in early Nov. the Kenda rep told me that they had a new 780g version of the Juggernaut.
    Yeah, sure you do, I said. ''Let me type that on my invisible typewriter''.
    Pulled the scale out of my backpack and expected to be handed a 1300g something tire.
    The tire that I got in my hand blew my mind, and when I put it on the scale, the damn thing showed 750g.
    A complete gamechanger it is. For firm, groomed trails where you do not need more volume, these are gonna be wild.
    With these, my personal bike on 80mm carbon rims and the new, superlight hubs from a well known brand is going to be in the high 7kg range (that is less than 18lbs)
    I actually consider using that bike for the National level hillclimb races this summer. It is not going to be quite as fast as my 12.3lb 26er, but the traction on the loose, tricky parts will make up some of that, and it is going to generate some good fatbike attention.
    These things have evolved so much over the past few years.
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The weight is accurate.
    At the Bike Week in Taichung in early Nov. the Kenda rep told me that they had a new 780g version of the Juggernaut.
    Yeah, sure you do, I said. ''Let me type that on my invisible typewriter''.
    Pulled the scale out of my backpack and expected to be handed a 1300g something tire.
    The tire that I got in my hand blew my mind, and when I put it on the scale, the damn thing showed 750g.
    A complete gamechanger it is. For firm, groomed trails where you do not need more volume, these are gonna be wild.
    With these, my personal bike on 80mm carbon rims and the new, superlight hubs from a well known brand is going to be in the high 7kg range (that is less than 18lbs)
    I actually consider using that bike for the National level hillclimb races this summer. It is not going to be quite as fast as my 12.3lb 26er, but the traction on the loose, tricky parts will make up some of that, and it is going to generate some good fatbike attention.
    These things have evolved so much over the past few years.
    What hubs are you going to be using ?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    What hubs are you going to be using ?
    American Classic hubs and 3.5g spokes.
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    American Classic hubs and 3.5g spokes.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wonder what size(s) they are testing in the snow. I think I would need the 4.5 for snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it they are anything like their other tires, I'm in for a set as soon as they are available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

re: Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)

Anyone else think the tread pattern on this looks awful?

There's a huge gap with minimal tread, and it's right where I do most of my cornering. Sorta-leaned over but not as far as I should be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Close to being available? Kenda Tire K1151 26X4.00 Juggernaut Pro Folding Tire Black
    Same shop has them listed on eBay, shipping in 2 business days.
    Weights are way different than fat-bike.com review (hint: higher).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was there last night for a training class. I should have looked around. I'll stop there this weekend and have a look. Maybe even bring my scale along.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast