Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sean-M-Dawes,

What air pressure are you running in the front and back on your Juggernuat Pros. On my Nates 27TPI, I run 6 upfront and 9 in the back. I ran my Jug Pros 4.0, once and gave up on them. I did not have a decent air guage at the time so that might have been part of the problem.

I am 230lbs. I came out of my Jug Pro 4.0 trail thinking a couple of things.

1.) Although 120TPI tires are lighter and more supple than 27TPI, do they actually require more air pressure to behave correctly without autostreering or folding too much in turns.

2.) Are these type of tires better for people who are running front forks, where they can have higher front tire pressures. My front tire is my suspension, so if I go too high of a pressure, I just get to much rebound.

3.) Would the 120TPI tires and specifically the Jug Pro 4.0 work better for a lighter rider. In which the riders weight does not effect the folding of the front tire as much and therefore the rider can ride rigid and still not have to have higher tire pressure.

I don't have anything against these tires, but I am trying to understand why they are working for some people and then for other people they are not working out so well.

Should us heavy guys riding rigid fat bikes just stick to lower TPI tires?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    Sean-M-Dawes,

What air pressure are you running in the front and back on your Juggernuat Pros. On my Nates 27TPI, I run 6 upfront and 9 in the back. I ran my Jug Pros 4.0, once and gave up on them. I did not have a decent air guage at the time so that might have been part of the problem.

I am 230lbs. I came out of my Jug Pro 4.0 trail thinking a couple of things.

1.) Although 120TPI tires are lighter and more supple than 27TPI, do they actually require more air pressure to behave correctly without autostreering or folding too much in turns.

2.) Are these type of tires better for people who are running front forks, where they can have higher front tire pressures. My front tire is my suspension, so if I go too high of a pressure, I just get to much rebound.

3.) Would the 120TPI tires and specifically the Jug Pro 4.0 work better for a lighter rider. In which the riders weight does not effect the folding of the front tire as much and therefore the rider can ride rigid and still not have to have higher tire pressure.

I don't have anything against these tires, but I am trying to understand why they are working for some people and then for other people they are not working out so well.

Should us heavy guys riding rigid fat bikes just stick to lower TPI tires?
    1.) Yes. I'm 190lbs in birthday suit and run 15psi to prevent autosteer and sidewall collapse.

2.) Stock Moonlander fork here. Much less rebound at 15psi than a Bud at 10psi. Weight has a lot to do with the rebound effect.

3.) Everything works better for a lighter rider. You will need more psi to get the same feel a lighter rider gets at a lower psi.

You gave up too soon. I tried mine at first with same pressure I used with Bud and Lou. It did not go well.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    To replace my stock Vee Snowshoes, I ordered two of the Juggernaut Pro 4.5s. This is not weight-weenie bike--I want traction in spades--and I don't want a tire any smaller than my stock Snowshoes (so-called 4.5 that measures about 4"). So the tires arrived. And they looked good. Mounted up easily enough. And then... gave 'em the old spin test--

fail!

A very pronounced tire hop. Mold defect. Not just the one, but the both of them. (For the curious/skeptical, yes the wheel is perfect and yes I did mount them with bead lubricant, inflate-deflate-inflate). Back they go. #hassle

So, I'm headed to the bike shop. Instead of $80 for a pair, I'll be paying $110 apiece [shrugs] for--

Specialized Fast Trak 26 x 4.0 - I couldn't find a lot of info on these. Faster rolling and lighter than the Specialized Ground Controls- probably at the expense of snow and mud traction. But for winter, I'll put the Snowshoes back on. They're alright in my book.

My hope is that the Fast Trak will be fast, with good traction for spring-summer-fall and not a boat anchor (for that slight weight weenie tendency that I do have)
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    I went with the pro 4.0 to replace the stock sport 4.5 on my bike for spring/summer riding here in Maine,and I am very happy with them.
    Bike - Scott Big Ed-Bluto equipped
    Pressure - still playing with it, but running at 10-11 psi now and it works.
    Tubes - stock schwalbe tubes that came with my bike
    Rider - 41 yr old coming off 13 years of rigid single speed riding, 190 pounds
    Trails - New England loamy forest, Sandy coastal forest, rock and root covered trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzinnati View Post
    I went with the pro 4.0 to replace the stock sport 4.5 on my bike for spring/summer riding here in Maine,and I am very happy with them.
    Bike - Scott Big Ed-Bluto equipped
    Pressure - still playing with it, but running at 10-11 psi now and it works.
    Tubes - stock schwalbe tubes that came with my bike
    Rider - 41 yr old coming off 13 years of rigid single speed riding, 190 pounds
    Trails - New England loamy forest, Sandy coastal forest, rock and root covered trails
    Great side by side pic!
    I've gone from the 4.6 Sport Juggs to a 4.0 FatBNimble for the summer and think I may have too little tire now. I suppose once I tear up the FBNs (like everyone else seems to be doing), I'll get a set of 4.0 Pro Juggs.
    Thanks again,
    _Matt
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    had my first ride on my juggernaut pros yesterday. tubeless setup road a long dirt road to some single track that is pretty tight and technical. my super duper air pressure gauge that cost me 25 bucks really kind of stinks. I was at 13psi to start and kept on letting air out over the ride. by the time I was home I had 9 front and back. still felt pretty firm. maybe 7 or 8 psi is the sweet spot. even when I was stand up pedaling the tire wasn't squishing much at all. I think my gauge isn't accurate. I am going to pick up a regular non digital one of amazon for 15 bucks.

tires pedaled great on the dirt roads, they were awesome on this pretty long down hill that has some really sandy spots in it. the bike has way less of a run away train feeling when coming down hills and shooting into corners. I did feel myself fighting the steering a little bit on the really slow technical corners.

overall I am pretty happy. over the coming weekend I plan on riding to the beach( that was the original plan until I ran into a friend on the trails)

fyi the sks digital air checker pressure gauge is worthless. by far the worst piece of cycling equipment I have bought in the 6 or 7 years I have been riding.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    As mentioned before, the modded Pros (around 780g now) are insanely fast now that I got them mounted on 100mm rims. Noticeably faster vs. running them on 80s. Likely due to the wider and shorter contact patch that seems to rhyme well with the modded knobs. Casing width is more than 4.6'' on the 100s vs 4.2'' on the 80s.
    Twisted fast rolling on gravel, but ultra quick on pavement too. Good match for the 17.5lb bike, so I'm having fun toying with the roadies on the local Strava climbs:

Some good entertainment in the comment section:
    Bike Ride Profile | Got overtaken by a fatbiker in the Holmenkollen climb near Oslo | Times and Records | Strava
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You posted any good close up pics (as much as you can of a prototype anyway ) and / or specs of your bike yet Espen ? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested
    Maybe you have , or maybe I've had a brain fart

Fat Biker

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    You posted any good close up pics (as much as you can of a prototype anyway ) and / or specs of your bike yet Espen ? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested
    Maybe you have , or maybe I've had a brain fart

Fat Biker
    Have posted some pics, etc before, but it is basically just a tuned version of the production version Nakamura BigBob LTD (18.9lbs stock):
    https://www.intersport.no/produkt/18...bob-ltd-sykkel

The changes to my personal 17.5lb bike is: modified Juggernaut Pro tires, lighter fork (530 vs 630g), 85g saddle (121g stock), 100mm rims (80mm on the stock bike), wider and lighter bar (750mm and 118g vs 720mm and 180g), front rotor (67g vs 77g), slightly lighter grips, some titanium bolts for the stem, fork expander trick, and that is basically it.

Espen Wethe
    Norway

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got severely done over with my Jugg Pro's . 890g /905g (from memory) . Not being in the industry though and with limited funds , I couldn't afford the luxury of choosing from a dozen sets of tyres . I got what I got end of
    I got FOUR very similar (copy) seats to the one on your personal bike though . All of them were over 130g . So non of those made the final cut .
    Bars are about the only similar weight/size I have to compare (118g/740mm) to yours . We both have a similar design philosophy it seems
    With all the overages on "quoted" weights vs "actual" weights and budget restrictions it's put me just under #20 I think (new scales arriving shortly)

FM190 Large/Medium frame
    Unbranded carbon fork - 560g
    MT8 brakes 180mm/160mm Ai 2 rotors
    Uno 70mm stem (to bolts)
    Carbon bars , KCNC foam grips , carbon seatpost , carbon seat .
    Next SL 28t direct mount .
    Chinese 65mm x 197mm + 135mm hubs plain gauge spokes XD driver .
    Kenda Juggernaut pro 4.0" set up tubeless .
    KMC X11SL gold chain .
    Sram X0 10-42 black rear block
    XTR 11s rear mech and matching trigger shifter .
    Alligator iLink cable housing .
    Ti/magnesium Exustar 288 pedals .
    Custom carbon/ti axles .
    Various ti bolts .
    Colour = boring done to death back with red accents (sorry )

P.S. I'm in no way jealous of your big deal rims LOL

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also forgot to ask how ya liking the BeBop's ? And what does the weight with the ti axles come in at please ?

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Espen, Those modded tires sure look a lot like the old Endos. Maybe we haven't come as far as we think. The early Endos were even quite light. There weren't too many sub 20# bikes in those days though. Steve
    Latitude 61

Anchorage, AK
    I spotted a set of Juggernaut tires with tan walls. Does anyone know where to get them and if they come in Pro 4.0?
    --Peace

mtbr member

I have Maxxis IKONs on my single speed (see above). Has anyone else noticed how those treads are similar to the juggernauts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Where is the cheapest place that people are finding the J Pro 4.0 folding tire?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bike bling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Where is the cheapest place that people are finding the J Pro 4.0 folding tire?

I found mine on e-bay doing a search - US only - free shipping - 102 for the Pro pair.

mtbr member
    Bike bling

$110, free shipping, no tax for me.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Might have discovered why hens teeth are easier to source than Juggernaut Pros in the UK... Go Outdoors have replaced the 4.0 JJ liteskins with 4.0 Jug Pros on their Calibre Dune, just in time for the release of the large frame!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I started using my Jug 4.0 Pros again after I ran in to a guy about my size (235lbs) at the trail and he said they were working fine for him at 12lbs rear and 9lbs front. I had originally given up on these tire after one ride because I must have had the tire pressure too low on that initial try.

So, I like the lightness of these tires over my 27tpi Nates. The Nates are more confident building than the Jug 4.0, however, still the Jug 4.0 are a heck of a lot more confident than a standard mountain biking.

I am riding a Surly Wednesday and I have a second Surly Wednesday that I use as a loaner bike. I was thinking of getting another set of Jug 4.0 pros for that bike as well.

However, I was thinking of maybe instead of having two sets of the same tires, I was think of getting a Jug Pro 4.5 to use as a front tire. Hopefully, this would give a little more cushion up front, plus the greater tread on the Jug 4.5 and girth would be more confidence that the 4.0 up front. So, I have a few questions (Note: I only ride in Florida):

1.) Is anyone riding the combination of the Jug Pro 4.0 in the rear and the Jug Pro 4.5 in the front?

2.) Is anyone riding a similar style of a 4.0ish tire in the back and an even fatter tire upfront?

3.) If you are riding Jug 4.5, am I right in my assumption that they are a very confident building tire, like the Nates build confidence?

4.) Other than the weight of the Nates, they do seem to through up a lot of dust. Which starts to bother my eyes after about an hour or so. I am making the assumption that the Jug 4.5 won't though up quite as much dust as the Nate. If you are riding a Jug Pro 4.5, do you see any problem with the front tire thoughing up a lot of dust or dirt?

blood in / blood out
    I started using my JJ 4.0 Pros again after I ran in to a guy about my size (235lbs) at the trail and he said they were working fine for him at 12lbs rear and 9lbs front. I had originally given up on these tire after one ride because I must have had the tire pressure too low on that initial try.

So, I like the lightness of these tires over my 27tpi Nates. The Nates are more confident building than the JJ 4.0, however, still the JJ 4.0 are a heck of a lot more confident than a standard mountain biking.

I am riding a Surly Wednesday and I have a second Surly Wednesday that I use as a loaner bike. I was thinking of getting another set of JJ 4.0 pros for that bike as well.

However, I was thinking of maybe instead of having two sets of the same tires, I was think of getting a JJ Pro 4.5 to use as a front tire. Hopefully, this would give a little more cushion up front, plus the greater tread on the JJ 4.5 and girth would be more confidence that the 4.0 up front. So, I have a few questions (Note: I only ride in Florida):

1.) Is anyone riding the combination of the JJ Pro 4.0 in the rear and the JJ Pro 4.5 in the front?

2.) Is anyone riding a similar style of a 4.0ish tire in the back and an even fatter tire upfront?

3.) If you are riding JJ 4.8, am I right in my assumption that they are a very confident building tire, like the Nates build confidence?

4.) Other than the weight of the Nates, they do seem to through up a lot of dust. Which starts to bother my eyes after about an hour or so. I am making the assumption that the JJ 4.8 won't though up quite as much dust as the Nate. If you are riding a JJ Pro 4.8, do you see any problem with the front tire thoughing up a lot of dust or dirt?

I think you have your tires mixed up. JJ's are Jumbo Jims and Jugg Pros are kenda. It is hard to follow what tires you are talking about.

Schwable Jumbo Jims = Liteskin or Snakeskin, 4.0 and 4.8

Kenda Jugg Pro = 4.0 and 4.5

Kenda Jugg Sport ( wire bead ) = 4.0 and 4.5
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    majack,

Thanks for pointing that out. I re-edited my post to reflect Jug 4.0 Pro and Jug 4.5 Pro.

I think I made that slip-up because the Jumbo Jims are also in my other chain of thought on what I am going to do with my second set of wheel. So, basically I am thinking:

1.) Setting them up the same as on the other bike: Kenda Juggernauts 4.0 Pro front and rear. This is also the least expensive option.
    2.) Setting them up the a Juggernaut 4.0 Pro Rear and a Juggernautt Pro 4.5 front.
    3.) Setting them up with Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0 Front and rear.

blood in / blood out
    majack,

Thanks for pointing that out. I re-edited my post to reflect Jug 4.0 Pro and Jug 4.5 Pro.

I think I made that slip-up because the Jumbo Jims are also in my other chain of thought on what I am going to do with my second set of wheel. So, basically I am thinking:

1.) Setting them up the same as on the other bike: Kenda Juggernauts 4.0 Pro front and rear. This is also the least expensive option.
    2.) Setting them up the a Juggernaut 4.0 Pro Rear and a Juggernautt Pro 4.5 front.
    3.) Setting them up with Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0 Front and rear.
    I am running the Jug Pro 4.5 on the front and the Jug Pro 4.0 in the rear and these are on HED carbon wheels. I love this combo. I put Jug Pro 4.0's on my wifes fat caad and she likes those. I have her JJ 4.8's for winter use on her bike and I run different snow tires also.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    majack,

Thank you for your help. I am taking your advice. I just order a new Jugg Pro 4.0 and a Jugg Pro 4.5. Bike Blink $130 for the pair.

So, the my main Surly Wednesday will be set up with a Jugg Pro 4.0 in the back and a Jugg Pro 4.5 in the front. My loaner Surly Wednesday then will get my set of Jugg Pro 4.0s for the front and the rear.

I ended up with 2 Surly Wednesday because I bought one new and loved the bike, then a guy locally wanted to sell his because he needed a more upright bike for his back; so I bought his Wednesday to use as a loaner.

I will post a picture of my Surly Wednesday with the Jugg Pro 4.0/4.5 combination and report how I like the set up once I receive the tires.

Thank you again for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Jug Pro 4.0 (Rear) - Jug Pro 4.5 (Front)

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)-surlywednesdayjug4zeroand4five.jpg

Here is my Surly Wednesday with a Juggernaut Pro 4.0 in the rear and a Juggernaut Pro 4.5 in the front.

You have to really to do a double take to see that I have 2 different tires on the bike.

I rode the bike for the first time today with this new set up. Before, I had a Jug Pro 4.0 on the front and the back, in which I had to have 9lbs of air in the front to stop the tire from self steering. With the 4.5 up front I rode 6lbs of pressure in the front today, with no self steer.

I obviously need to have more than one ride in to give my full recommendation, but so far I like the setup.

I'll post more as I get more rides on the 4.0/4.5 combo. I can tell you this: The Jug Pro 4.5 does not have the self steering problems at low pressure; unlike the Jug Pro 4.0 problem.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Tests by Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests

Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

In my experience, the Pro goes from slow rolling with unmodded knobs on 80mm rims to pretty fast as modded on 80mm rims to mind blowingly fast (especially on gravel) modded on 100mm rims.
    On pavement, the modded ones on 100s roll as fast or better than the fastest regular MTB tires (Schwalbe Thunder Burt and Conti Race King), but on gravel, my MTB with the Conti Race King 2.2s feel downright slow in comparison to the 17.5lb fatbike with modded Juggs on 100s. We will do some real world side by side testing on gravel soon vs 29ers and 27.5.

Note that the lab tests linked above are done with skinny 65mm rims.
    I haven't tested the unmodded Juggs on 100s, but judging from how (insanely) much faster the modded ones are on 100s vs 80s, I would assume that the stock tire will be faster on a wider rim that 65mm
    Last edited by Espen W; 05-27-2016 at 06:43 AM.
    Espen Wethe
    Norway

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My real world experience with several of the tested tires and many others does not support their results. I like that they've created as unbiased of a test as they can come up with, but sometimes lab results and riding experiences are different. I'm sure a lot of it depends on how you use the bike: dirt, pavement, sand, snow, etc or pressed against a spinning drum with a diamond plate cover.

I don't find that my Pros feel any harder to peddle around the trails I use, which is supported by lap times and effort.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to get Pros, just providing another perspective.

mtbr member
    Would be interesting to see the Vee Snowshoe on there. I removed a Larry (front) and Snowshoe (rear) from my Pugs (65mm rims) and replaced them with 4.0 Jugg Pros. If that's a slow tire, I sure can't tell. The bike just flies now - used to feel like I was dragging something with the old setup. Would like to try some JJs if they're that much better....maybe once I grind off the Juggs.

mtbr member
    Interesting reading, Espen. Thanks for the links.

This confirms my subjective real world experience. I really like my Jumbo Jims for 3-season use but the 4.5" Jug Pros I bought and tested briefly a few weeks back made me think that those big boys are probably going to be winter use only for me.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't have a way to measure watts, but I'm pretty sure my 4" Jug Pros roll better than my 4" Jumbo Jims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I put on a set of 4" Jugg Pros on my Specialized Fatboy this week for summer use. Amazing difference in terms of rolling resistance. Thanks for the posters on here recommending 12 lbs pressure in the rear and 9 lbs up front. Seems just right. I went from stock tubes and tires (4.6") on the Fatboy to Q lite tubes and the Juggs, but was surprised that there did not seem to be a huge difference in weight. Next up is a ghetto tubeless project for which I already have the Stans and Q lite 24" tubes to cut up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I added a set of 4" juggernaut pros to my ican sn01. They are awesome. It has become my favorite bike to ride. I put a bluto on for the summer and I am at about 26 pounds without doing anything to crazy.

Sent from my SM-N910T2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    First sidewall fail on the pro. (Twig size stump at like 4mph) To big for sealant but my plan A worked. Basically cotton ball, supper glue and tape got me back the 12 mile with no issue. Simple compared to Mulefut/tube shenanigans.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Can you explain the cotton ball, super glue and tape method of fixing the sidewall :-) ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Pack the wound with cotton to slow the bleeding. Shove it in with a stick if need be. Supper glue the cotton fiber and then tape over the scab. I dip
    a twig in the glue and run it around edge of tape. Hole was pinky size and not a slash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Basically the cotton is just like a filter and helps collect all the Stan particles till it clogs and seals. Wouldn't have thought of it but I forgot to swap out my 29er tube so I opened up my first aid kit and made do. Was surprised how easy it was. I'm dumb so I'll see if it holds this weekend. Assume the cotton ball kind of expands inside the tire, helping to not get pushed back out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It Fail. After looking at it, I'm wrong/lie with my repair description. The cotton ball was more of a maxiepad then tampon. Re did what I previously described and because I'm dumb, will see if it holds on an epic uinta 20 mi bushwhack tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After recreating my original description, it was a success the second time around also.
    I'm starting to question packing a tube. Why no just use a needle and thread for bigger rips?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Will run the 17.5lb bike with modded Juggs on 100s at a major MTB hill climb next week. The last 15 minutes of the 45 minute race is on a super rocky and super steep access road, where a regular MTB is constantly struggling for traction.

As preparation, I'm doing tons of hill intervals on and off road.
    Video below:
    First part on this countrys most popular roadie STRAVA segment with some gravel thrown in at the end. Always some folks out to set PRs so easy to get some good pacing.
    Close ups of the modded tires at the end of the vid.

Next one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzzI7UalhQ
    Last edited by Espen W; 06-23-2016 at 08:16 AM.
    Espen Wethe
    Norway

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Now all you need is a wireless valve release to air down on the fly at the top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Espen, Do you have any self steer issues on the Juggernauts on 100's? I have a set on 85's on a Yampa and they are scary on fast hardpack downhills. The bike rides like there is not enough trail. It just goes in whatever direction the wheel is pointing with no tendancy to come back to center. The same bike is better with Jumbo Jims on the same rims and great with 29+ Fat B Nimbles. I will try the Jugs on a different frame soon to see how much of a difference that makes.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just put some Jugg Pros 4.0 on my fatboy yesterday. Plan is to use the bike for gravel riding/racing. 20 psi front and rear. Did a test ride on some gravel and was able to maintain ~18mph average speed on the flats.

Anyone install them for this purpose on their fatty and have good luck with them? My main concern after some reading here and from friends that have rode them off-road is that they puncture easy. I'm thinking the gravel will be a lot easier on them???

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mine don't seem any more puncture prone than any other lightweight tire I've had. I ride almost all single track and I've never had any issues (although a puncture is possible on any fire). I wouldn't expect any probs on gravel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My main concern after some reading here and from friends that have rode them off-road is that they puncture easy. I'm thinking the gravel will be a lot easier on them???
    Well my concerns became reality yesterday. Did a 95 mile gravel race and the rear juggernaut flatted one hour into the race around mile 14. Put in a replacement tube and it developed a slow leak at mile 50 that I had to air up twice to finish the race.

Between my flats yesterday and my friends having the same experience with the 26 x 4.0 Pro Juggs, my experiment with the Juggernauts is done. Gonna look at some Specialized Fast Trak Fat or Maxxis Mammoth.

mtbr member
    (Note: I only ride in Florida):

1.) Is anyone riding the combination of the Jug Pro 4.0 in the rear and the Jug Pro 4.5 in the front?
    I ride only in South Carolina low country, similar to Florida, Jug Sport 4.0 rear and Jug Pro 4.5 front (replacing Sport 4.0) on Mongoose Argus Sport (100mm rims). Pro 4.5 weighs about 100 grams more and is noticeably more supple than Sport 4.0. I ran the front Sport 4.0 at 7 psi, am running the Pro 4.5 at 6psi with appreciably less self-steer. 4.5 effectively eliminates understeer in soft sand. Increased rolling resistance between shore and high tide line nearly cancels decreased rolling resistance in trampled sand above high tide for 45 minute daily stints.

On pavement, Pro 4.5 has more flywheel effect and less audible drone. Vibration resonance occurs at lower speed than I maintain, while Sport 4.0 resonated at road speed (13T rear/30T front).

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm rolling on the Jugg 4.0 Pros and they've been great so far on all terrain for me at about 15psi and I'm weighing in at 200+. Done some loose plush leaf base, mud, moist dirt, large new england rockyness, hard pack, and street... they have performed well across it all. But I only have the Vee Mission oem cinder blocks to compare them to any real riding time, so there is probably a lot out there that feel leagues better anyway.

mtbr member
    Well my concerns became reality yesterday. Did a 95 mile gravel race and the rear juggernaut flatted one hour into the race around mile 14. Put in a replacement tube and it developed a slow leak at mile 50 that I had to air up twice to finish the race.

Between my flats yesterday and my friends having the same experience with the 26 x 4.0 Pro Juggs, my experiment with the Juggernauts is done. Gonna look at some Specialized Fast Trak Fat or Maxxis Mammoth.
    I have had some surprise leaks with my tires as well, but no punctures that I can blame on a lightweight tire. The tubes seem to be leaking at the base of the stem.

My set up: schwalbe tubes, juggernaut pro 4.0, synchros 80 mm rim (stock on Big Ed).

I have been trying to figure out the source of the leaks. My latest suspicion is tire slippage of the the tire on the rim putting pressure at the stem. I am changing tubes in case it is a problem with the tubes. Next step is a tubeless conversion.

Did you have visible punctures in your tubes or tires?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Spamtron,

That is the coolest looking fat bike. Great job on customizing it.

Did you just buy Gravity SS and just use the Frame, Fork, headset and wheels; and then customized the rest of the bike?

I would imagine that with aluminum frame and 15lbs of pressure in the tires that bike is pretty stiff. But, you are riding it as a FatBMX, so your legs and arms are the suspension anyways.

You definately get an A+ on your bike design.

mtbr member

tire talc

I have been trying to figure out the source of the leaks. My latest suspicion is tire slippage of the the tire on the rim putting pressure at the stem.
    I used to work on a lot of old sports cars with wire wheels and have always used tire talc, rubbing on the inside of tire and over tube before insertion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Did you have visible punctures in your tubes or tires?
    Small pinholes that I tracked down with soapy water. 3 in the original tube and 2 in the replacement tube.

mtbr member
    Small pinholes that I tracked down with soapy water. 3 in the original tube and 2 in the replacement tube.
    That is odd. I would not expect a pinhole puncture through the casing of the tire. What kind of tubes were you using?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    went to install my new pro 4.5's today. mounted both tires backwards. twice. I hate getting old.

so maybe instead of having to pump them up yet again, maybe I can just ride backwards....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I am 146 lbs and have them on a 20 lb bike. I am running 6 psi front and back. Here is a link to yesterdays race with them. I had to drop to 6 psi to get the corner traction I want. The beginning is the warm up. The wooded section is the best part to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsB0jlVt-bA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone studded these?

mtbr member

tube pinhole leaks

That is odd. I would not expect a pinhole puncture through the casing of the tire. What kind of tubes were you using?

prj71
    did not indicate a casing puncture. The Kenda tube in my 4.5 Pro recently developed a pinhole leak, successfully patched, along a sidewall well away from the valve stem with no corresponding tire puncture. A manufacturing defect in the tube, exacerbated by stretching to fill a larger (than 4.0) tire casing, is suspected

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    Has anyone studded these?
    I'd like to hear about that as well.

I'm using the 4.5 pro and so far they are awesome in the snow!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post

prj71
    did not indicate a casing puncture. The Kenda tube in my 4.5 Pro recently developed a pinhole leak, successfully patched, along a sidewall well away from the valve stem with no corresponding tire puncture. A manufacturing defect in the tube, exacerbated by stretching to fill a larger (than 4.0) tire casing, is suspected
    The casing was punctured. Tube punctured same exact spot as the casing.

All I did with the tires is ride them on gravel.

Never again will I own Kenda Juggernaut Pro tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm having a hard time setting the bead on 4.5 Pros tubeless. Any suggestions? I'm using a compressor and the bead isn't moving at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I set up my 4.0 pros and D5's very easily with a hand pump and generous supply of windex

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grizwold View Post
    I'm having a hard time setting the bead on 4.5 Pros tubeless. Any suggestions?
    What I do:
    I first mount it with a tube , making sure one side is well seated.
    I remove the tube on the non seated side
    Put the valve and sealant before putting the tire back on

Then , here's what might help you , I put the wheel horizontal , the unseated side down , while putting air , I "push" the tire so that the seating gets closer to the side of the rim.
    I do it alone but a third or fourth hand might be helpful for the first time.

Hope that helps
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)

Since I know there is a little of negative sentiment on these....Just wanted to say that I've been impressed with my 4.5 sports in up to 5 inches of wetter snow. 3psi up front and 5 in the rear ( I weigh 200) and I've never needed more grip, even over snow covered, wet roots. At those presssures, pavement is torture. Pump them up to 15 or so and they actually roll along pretty well. Have had them set up tubeless on non-tubeless rims for over 3 months with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234