Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Has anyone weighed the production run tires?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Already gone from eBay. "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."
    Maybe they jumped the gun. They were only $70!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Close to being available? Kenda Tire K1151 26X4.00 Juggernaut Pro Folding Tire Black
    Same shop has them listed on eBay, shipping in 2 business days.
    Weights are way different than fat-bike.com review (hint: higher).
    The "Pros" were my "plan A" to lower the rotational weight of my wheels. Those published Juggernaut weights on the WheelAndSprocket site kinda blow that out of the water! I just think that I need some lighter tires for the beach here. An 800 gram 4" fat tire could easily pry money from my grip, but it now appears that it was just a fairy tale. I thought that rumored weight sounded too good to be true.

Actually, I am satisfied (in my blissful ignorance;-) with the performance of my 27 tpi Larrys and standard Surly tubes, except that I read complaints about this setup being heavy and cumbersome (1640 grams/tire plus 390 grams/tube). As far as fat tires go, they are all that I know! They are tough, and I have yet to experience a flat.

Now I'm going to plan B: 1110 gram 60 tpi folding bead tires (Halo Nanuks, available now for $61) and the Surly lite tubes (80 grams lighter than the standard ones) should knock 610 grams of dead rotational rubber from each wheel. Thats about 1.36 lbs. I should notice the difference.

mtbr member
    I run Q-tubes 26 x 2.4-2.75" tubes on my fat bike and really like them. They are fairly cheap and easy to find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I run Q-tubes 26 x 2.4-2.75" tubes on my fat bike and really like them. They are fairly cheap and easy to find.
    I have read of this. I have questions about it, though. Do they deform much around the valve stem when inflated inside a 4" fat tire? Do they take patches without deforming the tube badly when inflated? I would like to keep my tires as round rolling as possible.
    A standard sized fat tube shouldn't have those issues. Since I haven't yet gotten a flat, i don't even carry a spare Surly tube (14+ ounces!) around with me any more. Those thangs are really heavy and cumbersome for taking along on a day ride! Two (inside the tires) are enough, already! Just a patch kit should be all I need.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen anything noticeable at the valve stem, I'm running Husker Du/Knards on Marge Lites, and I haven't run lower than 7psi. I had my front tire go flat on pavement on the way to a trail and I didn't notice it getting out of round, though it would have to be pretty bad since I was trying to figure out why the self steer was so horrible. I put a patch on the tube and it has been working fine. You should try them. Even if you don't like them they are way better to carry as a spare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Welnic. Sounds like they are a lighter and less bulky spare to haul around. I should give the Q-tubes a try. I've also heard that the Specialized tubes in the same 2.4" - 2.75" size are worth a try. I ride mainly on the beach, and thorns aren't a problem on the trails I ride. I might stay lucky and continue to avoid flats!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    I have read of this. I have questions about it, though. Do they deform much around the valve stem when inflated inside a 4" fat tire? Do they take patches without deforming the tube badly when inflated? I would like to keep my tires as round rolling as possible.
    A standard sized fat tube shouldn't have those issues. Since I haven't yet gotten a flat, i don't even carry a spare Surly tube (14+ ounces!) around with me any more. Those thangs are really heavy and cumbersome for taking along on a day ride! Two (inside the tires) are enough, already! Just a patch kit should be all I need.
    I went through dozens of these tubes before I went tubeless. Yes, they're light. No, they don't tend to deform. But they're thin to begin with and prone to mysterious slow leaks. My area is not particularly thorny. I'd say at least 80% of the time, I could not identify what caused my flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^Thanks, SmooveP. Thin tubes always seem to slowly exhale, even overnight. My relatively heavy Surly tubes seem to not leak much, if at all. I've had 5 lbs in my front and 6.25 lbs in the rear (at 72 F in the house...but riding the beach in low 40's to 50 F) for the last half-dozen or so beach rides, and my gage says they haven't lost any air.

mtbr member
    Thanks Welnic. Sounds like they are a lighter and less bulky spare to haul around. I should give the Q-tubes a try. I've also heard that the Specialized tubes in the same 2.4" - 2.75" size are worth a try. I ride mainly on the beach, and thorns aren't a problem on the trails I ride. I might stay lucky and continue to avoid flats!
    I'm using the Specialized Tubes and they dropped a solid half pound per wheel vs. the stock 4" tube. I didn't go with an SL because I'm already stretching these out quite a bit. I was in fear that a SL stretched to fit my 4.6" tires would be as thick as a balloon... :P
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My experience is that the light tubes (2.7 inch) don't take patches very well. I would never again rely on a patch kit for the light tubes. I carry a spare tube.

I have been using the light tubes for 4 years and have only got one flat which was a pinch flat from running too low pressure in a rocky summer trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    These Kenda Juggernauts had my interest because they sounded really light, and looked like a good tread for the beach and loamy trails. Time will tell if this rumored, sub-800 gram, 4" fat tire is for real. Kenda said the Pro will be available "late Spring," which might not be until summer! And now their rumored lightness is in question.
    I think I'm going to spring for the ~1110 gram Halos, available now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Schwalbe Jumbo Jims are supposed to be pretty light and coming out soon. There's a pair of the 4.8" ones on eBay right now. Only slightly used for the bargain price of $380.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm looking for a lighter alternative for riding the beach here. I don't ride my Pugs in the snow or on rocky terrain. 90% of my riding is on the beach, and the rest on loamy trails, so I am looking at tread designs that work for my riding.
    We only get about one or two days of snow most Winters here on the WA coast, where I live. As of yet this Winter, we've had none here that didn't melt right away. My local trails are partially submerged, deeply in some spots, and mostly unrideable. Winter is the best season for riding the beach here, anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I should probably curb myself and wait until after I read the upcoming Fat-bike.com review on these Juggernauts... (twitch..twitch...twitch;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I went through dozens of these tubes before I went tubeless. Yes, they're light. No, they don't tend to deform. But they're thin to begin with and prone to mysterious slow leaks. My area is not particularly thorny. I'd say at least 80% of the time, I could not identify what caused my flats.
    I had a slow leak in the rear and my bike was at the LBS getting something else done and they threw some sealant in there and it has been fine since then. I'd rather run thin tubes and sealant than heavy tubes. I have a couple of bikes set up tubeless with easy tires and rims, when something comes along that isn't a hassle in the fat bike world I'll think about doing that. Slow leaks don't bother me much with the fat bike since I change pressures depending on whether I'm riding sand, dirt, rocks, or pavement on the way to something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0

These Kenda Juggernauts had my interest because they sounded really light, and looked like a good tread for the beach and loamy trails. Time will tell if this rumored, sub-800 gram, 4" fat tire is for real. Kenda said the Pro will be available "late Spring," which might not be until summer! And now their rumored lightness is in question.
    I think I'm going to spring for the ~1110 gram Halos, available now.
    Two things: late spring in mtb world means summer. In fat bike world it means next winter, but out of stock until next summer.
    Also, if you do get those halos I world love a ride report. They have a small thread on here but I haven't found a review yet. These are looking to check all the boxes for me right now

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I had a slow leak in the rear and my bike was at the LBS getting something else done and they threw some sealant in there and it has been fine since then. I'd rather run thin tubes and sealant than heavy tubes. I have a couple of bikes set up tubeless with easy tires and rims, when something comes along that isn't a hassle in the fat bike world I'll think about doing that. Slow leaks don't bother me much with the fat bike since I change pressures depending on whether I'm riding sand, dirt, rocks, or pavement on the way to something else.
    Yeah, I felt the same way about tubeless. In fact, I had never done tubeless on any of my bikes until now. The final straw was going out to the shed to grab my fat bike for a ride and finding both tires flat. Before that I was getting just enough flats for it to be annoying, definitely more than on my skinny-tired mountain bikes. I'm not ready to call it a smashing success yet, but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So..... Guess these tires are available ?
    Just saw this pic anyone have anymore info.
    Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had a pair in my hand a couple days ago. Claimed weight In the 1300s seems accurate. Lugs are tiny. Weighed considerably less than the Bontrager tire. I was at the LBS so I couldn't get an accurate weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerko View Post
    So..... Guess these tires are available ?
    Just saw this pic anyone have anymore info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3266 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	959669
    That one is the 60 tpi sport model and are readily available for less than $50. Advertised weight is 1285g.

mtbr member
    Bike Bling has them on their site as available.

Jug Sport Wire
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I had a pair in my hand a couple days ago. Claimed weight In the 1300s seems accurate. Lugs are tiny. Weighed considerably less than the Bontrager tire. I was at the LBS so I couldn't get an accurate weight.
    Bontrager Hodag tires are only ~1200g. Actual weight for mine was 1239g. They advertise 1244g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Bike Bling has them on their site as available.

Jug Sport Wire
    That is the regular 1285g tire.
    Forgot that 1-800bikepro was still around, brought back some memory's.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    That is the regular 1285g tire.
    Forgot that 1-800bikepro was still around, brought back some memory's.
    I know...like i said, it's the Jug Sport Wire.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I know...like i said, it's the Jug Sport Wire.
    Gotcha, staring right at me. Jug sport wire sounds like a good name for a bra...

I think I may go for the Halo Nanuk deal from Universal as my colored Floaters are HEAVY and think the Jug Pro's will probably cost a pretty penny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any word on availability of the 4.5 Pro version yet? Looking to run this as a front tire...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I call baloney. Their online catalog shows the 26x4 pro weighing 1285, those were some prototype tire that got weighed. http://issuu.com/kendausa/docs/2015_...94173/10616093

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    They are beefed up somewhat compared to the 750g tire that I weighed at the Taichung show. They added rubber to the thread and new claimed weight is 875 +/- 50g.
    Just weighed the six production tires that we got, and they were all in the 914-925g range.

Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

mtbr member
    Is that weight for the 4.0 or 4.5? Whats bead to bead on the production run you have?
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    They are beefed up somewhat compared to the 750g tire that I weighed at the Taichung show. They added rubber to the thread and new claimed weight is 875 +/- 50g.
    Just weighed the six production tires that we got, and they were all in the 914-925g range.
    Espen, can you measure the knob height? Did you receive any 4.5's? I'd be interested in any comparisons against the Jumbo Jim in either 4.0 or 4.8...

thanks
    Andrew

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    Is that weight for the 4.0 or 4.5? Whats bead to bead on the production run you have?
    Approx 225mm bead-bead
    Espen Wethe
    Norway

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slabber View Post
    Espen, can you measure the knob height? Did you receive any 4.5's? I'd be interested in any comparisons against the Jumbo Jim in either 4.0 or 4.8...

thanks
    Andrew
    No 4.5s as they are of no interest until they apply the technology used in the 4.0
    See my (positive) comments, vidoes, etc about the Jumbo Jims in the Jumbo Jim thread.
    Espen Wethe
    Norway

MLR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    Check back at the end of the month and we'll have Jesse's Juggernaut Report and more.

Gomez...It has been 2 months since you said check back at the end of the month (assuming you meant January) and I do not believe we have seen anything additional from you guys on this tire. Is No News Bad or Good? I like many am very skeptical that a tire can be this light and be used for anything other than day of the race applications. Please give us something...Thanks!
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^MLR, the answer can be found in the comments on the first review of these tires at Fat-Bike.com. On drop-down menu, click "components," then "tires," and scroll down for the review. Gomez answers your question in the last comment.
    I'm not in the market for the 4"ers, myself. I am only interested in the 4.5" version, and then only if it will have a good profile on my Marge Lites.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I knew it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No 4.5s as they are of no interest until they apply the technology used in the 4.0
    See my (positive) comments, vidoes, etc about the Jumbo Jims in the Jumbo Jim thread.
    Yes, I've been following your comments in the JJ thread... appreciate all the detail you've provided there. What I'm hoping to get is any comparison data from someone who has ridden both... :-)

MLR
    mtbr member
    ^^MLR, the answer can be found in the comments on the first review of these tires at Fat-Bike.com. On drop-down menu, click "components," then "tires," and scroll down for the review. Gomez answers your question in the last comment.
    I'm not in the market for the 4"ers, myself. I am only interested in the 4.5" version, and then only if it will have a good profile on my Marge Lites.

Thanks for pointing that out...not much detail, but exactly what I expected.
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cant find these for sale anywhere, any of yours for sale by chance?

mtbr member
    if you guys are interested - i found these 2 photos of the sport 4.0 and the sport 4.5 from bikescale.com. according to the photos - the weights are 1240g and 1580g respectively.

i am interested by the way on the weight of the 120tpi pro version.

Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)-juggernaut-sport-4.jpgKenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)-49pex6_img_0492.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Vaporware. Who knew?

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So is the 1240 grams for the 120tpi folding tire? Or is that the 60 tpi wire bead?

banned
    Mar 2015
    60 wire.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
    Cant find these for sale anywhere, any of yours for sale by chance?
    I have searched online with no luck. Waiting for a dirt review before I drop any coin on a new product.

900 grams is still quite lite for the pro. I am not sure the lack of knobs will be worth the weight savings and extra cost over a Panaracer Fat be nimble.

mtbr member
    i've been considering the kenda juggernaut pro 4" 120 tpi as well as the maxxis mammoth 4" 120tpi as a lightweight tire upgrade to the stock vee rubber snowshoe 4.7" 72tpi that came with my sturgis wheelset. i figure that the snowshoe weighs around 1600g!

also considering a 45NRTH 4" Husker Du but from my reading - it turns out that the actual width of these tire is only 3.8" whereas the juggernaut and mammoth 4" is a true 4" tire.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If anyone is looking for the 4.5" Sport (Wire bead) AEbike has them in stock here for the best prices I've seen:
    Kenda Juggernaut Tire 26 x 4.5" Steel Bead Black - AEBike.com

The 4.0" Sport (Wire bead):
    Kenda Juggernaut Tire 26 x 4.0" Steel Bead Black - AEBike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have (2) 4.5" Sport (Wire bead) that I ran for 10 miles in the snow that I don't need any more, send me a PM if interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have two wire 4.0's that weigh 1310g and 1345g. Sidewalls pretty thick. Measured at 98mm on 80mm rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Espen Wethe
    Norway

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast