Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    895

    keep my pug or get a 9zero7 frame

    So, I test rode a 9zero7 a couple weeks ago and loved it. Medium frames wont be available until march. So, I bought a pugsley on thursday to get me by. My plan was to transfer everything to the 9zero7 (except wheels and seatpost). But, I actually dont mind riding the pug now. For less than the price of the frame, I could buy a carver carbon fork or something, and save just as much, or more weight. I plan on doing a wheelset too, and using the stock pug wheels for my fiancee's fat bike build.

    So, is the 9zero7 frame worth buying? I could re-sell the pug frame very easily around here. Or, just keep what I got, and do a few small upgrades? Thanks for any help!

    Oh yeah, the bike will be raced too. Did my first snow bike race on saturday. Only 3 days after buying!

  2. #2
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,338
    I say if you are liking the Pugs keep it! They are a very fun bike and my 2nd favoritest fat bike I ever had!
    And I love beer!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I say if you are liking the Pugs keep it! They are a very fun bike and my 2nd favoritest fat bike I ever had!
    Whats your first favorite?

  4. #4
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Whats your first favorite?
    I had a Pug and went to last years 907 and now a 2012 Fatback. I'm not sure what Fatback did but it is just the right combination of HT angle and short chainstays that makes this bike just snappy and fast.

    Edit: just remember last years 907 and this years are two totally different birds.
    And I love beer!!

  5. #5
    Poorboy-mods
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3
    Stick with the pugs. Steel is real . 9zero7's ride died. Had one an rode terrible compared to the pugs. Currently still own 05' pugs and 12' ti mukluk. Both great rides!

  6. #6
    Living the thug life.
    Reputation: Logantri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    713
    I went from a pugs to 907, felt like going from a touring bike to a race bike. It was a huge difference that I fully did not expect.

    Also, that rear wheel removal was always a source of annoyance.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

    My blog.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I went from a pugs to 907, felt like going from a touring bike to a race bike. It was a huge difference that I fully did not expect.

    Also, that rear wheel removal was always a source of annoyance.
    Thanks! Just the type of comparison I was looking for. I heard the pug is more of a touring type.

  8. #8
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I went from a pugs to 907, felt like going from a touring bike to a race bike. It was a huge difference that I fully did not expect
    I don't have your fat bike experience but I thought it was the exact opposite. The very long cs length on the 907 made it feel slugish in the single track. That's if we are both talking about last years of coarse.

    Edit: just off the top of my head the Pugs has 22mm shorter cs length with a lot shorter head tube makes it more aggressive but a little less stable in the snow. There was a few people at the time trying to convince me to make the move and I did. I was happy with the stability the 907 had in the snow but then got on the Fatback and it came back to me what I was missing that I enjoyed with the pugs, snappy fun.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-06-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    And I love beer!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    253
    Only you can decide which is the bike for you. I moved from the pugs because i was always struggling to make it fit my spider-like physique. If yours fits and you like the ride, then i say go ahead and upgrade the pugsley.

  10. #10
    Living the thug life.
    Reputation: Logantri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I don't have your fat bike experience but I thought it was the exact opposite. The very long cs length on the 907 made it feel slugish in the single track. That's if we are both talking about last years of coarse.

    Edit: just off the top of my head the Pugs has 22mm shorter cs length with a lot shorter head tube makes it more aggressive but a little less stable in the snow. There was a few people at the time trying to convince me to make the move and I did. I was happy with the stability the 907 had in the snow but then got on the Fatback and it came back to me what I was missing that I enjoyed with the pugs, snappy fun.
    Funny thing with chainstays. There are people that argue both sides of the long chainstay/ short chainstay debate. Me, I don't care and I ride without looking up frame geo except top tube.

    I noticed the 907 having a lot more snap, but also, it was much stiffer torsionally as you turned into corners. I went directly from the pugs to last year's 907. I have this year's 907 which I love, but it is hard to compare directly to last year's frame as I had some time off between the two and all my rides this year have been loaded with close to 20 pounds of gear.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

    My blog.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    162
    I too have been pondering the same thing! Keep your pugs The 907 is cool, but I really like my pugs.

  12. #12
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,338
    All that being said it is up to the op for fit. For myself I will defend the Pugs till I die but not enough where I would go back to one.
    And I love beer!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    895
    I'm very comfortable on the bike. Since the new 9zero7 frames will be 170mm spacing in march for medium frames, maybe I should keep the pug so both our bikes will be able to share wheels. Just another pro/con to consider!

    I would almost have to ride the bikes back to back. I didn't get any single track in on the 9zero7 though. Just groomed xc ski trails.

    Oh, the bike shop can also get a fatback too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •