mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Just ordered my first fat

It's a 2017 Fatboy Comp Carbon and should be in sometime next week. I have a full stable of 26 and 29" HT/rigid stumpjumpers but I'm curious if anyone has built a pair of 29 or 29+ wheels to run on their fatbike for summer/dry months, and what hubs did you use?

First I'm going to swap out the Sram 10 speed drivetrain for a M8000 1x11 and get some aluminum Big Deal hoops for tubeless, but I'd like to build a XC wheelset too. One bike to do it all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks stealth and awesome. Weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Looks stealth and awesome. Weight?
    28# is what Tim (my salesman/buddy) said, but I'm not sure. This picture was when I was going to buy it 2 months ago, fell on difficult times and couldn't buy it and it was sold. I ordered the same bike two days ago and it'll be in next week sometime, only 4 left in the system

It may be a bit lighter after I build the Hed Big Deal aluminum wheels but also going from the 1x10 Sram drivetrain to a Shimano XT 1X11 and I'll have to use a Sram cassette since the hub has a XD freehub so that may add a bit of weight.

mtbr member
    congrates on the bike

honestly, the stock build is pretty decent , the only thing i would upgrade is shifter. ill go with a x0 or up unless your prefer shimano. ive done all shimano and sram. at the end of day, i like sram for easy setup and crisp shifter. to me from a x0 to xt is a down grade. your mileage may vary .

the stock 90mm rims are pretty light , not hard to setup for tubeless. just my 2 cents
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    congrates on the bike

honestly, the stock build is pretty decent , the only thing i would upgrade is shifter. ill go with a x0 or up unless your prefer shimano. ive done all shimano and sram. at the end of day, i like sram for easy setup and crisp shifter. to me from a x0 to xt is a down grade. your mileage may vary .

the stock 90mm rims are pretty light , not hard to setup for tubeless. just my 2 cents
    I finally picked the Fatboy up today and hit a small trail that consists of gravel and tar along the river by my house.

I can already tell I want to go with the 11 speed cassette for riding the local XC trails. I'm not the strongest rider so that extra lazy gear would be nice, on my main XC bike a 1x10 is fine but it's almost 7 pounds lighter too. I think I will end up going XT M8000 on this plus aluminum Big Deal hoops, although I think this has the Sram XD freehub so I'll probably use the GX cassette.

I'm excited to get out on some real trails this week! Next time I'll bring a charged phone

FB&H rider
    Good stuff dubya!
    Enjoy the ride!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    im pretty sure the stock stuff is 10sp shimano driver. so no need for xd cassette
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Unfortunately it's the XD freehub, according to the site anyway.

Are Sram cassettes compatible with
    Shimano shifters?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'll pull the cassette off later and check.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Now I'm even more confused. It's a Sram XO/X9 group but with a 11-40 Sunrace cassette. Isn't the XD driver for 10t small cogs?

mtbr member
    Its a shimano freebody 11T-40T. Not 10T You can throw a XT cassette on it to get at 42 or 46. Or go with a smaller front ring

mtbr member
    from 1x10 to 1x11 there is no benifit given same casette ratio. you should try a 11-42 cassette first
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Its a shimano freebody 11T-40T. Not 10T You can throw a XT cassette on it to get at 42 or 46. Or go with a smaller front ring
    Cool, I'll just get the 46 with the rest of the M8000 group minus the crankset then. Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats! Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Parts arrived yesterday and I just finished install. 1x11 XT group, with the huge 46t cog, Saint pedals, Hope seatpost clamp and Specialized Enduro grips.

I'm not sure if I should go with red anodized Hope hubs and Hed BAD rims or just get a fatty stripper rim strip and try to run the stock wheelset tubeless. I've been reading that the BAD hoops are not designed for XC summer riding, only for snow...

Sram XO group off the Fatboy went on a 1994 Stumpjumper S Works I had sitting around so it all worked out nicely!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am having trouble understanding the allure of the BAD rims. While very (too?) light for aluminum rims, they weigh the same as most generic carbon rims which should be more durable and don't cost any more if one is a careful shopper.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I am having trouble understanding the allure of the BAD rims. While very (too?) light for aluminum rims, they weigh the same as most generic carbon rims which should be more durable and don't cost any more if one is a careful shopper.
    Hed is a local company to me and im kind of a brand snob

I certainly don't want to buy any generic Chinese carbon rims, although my friend has a Chinese carbon fatbike he likes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Hed is a local company to me and im kind of a brand snob

I certainly don't want to buy any generic Chinese carbon rims, although my friend has a Chinese carbon fatbike he likes.

I get wanting to buy local. I also get wanting to get really light weight. I have a set of HED BD's. What I don't get is getting ultralight aluminum rims when there are way more durable options that weigh the same and don't cost any more. That's just me though.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I don't get it either. My LB 90s are massively stiff, doublewall construction, 90mm wide, about 650g, way more tubeless-compatible than any alloy rim I've experienced, they are now more than 3 seasons old, I got them in 2014, I've relaced them to different hubs a few times now, they build up laser-true each time and are just a pleasure to ride. Unless HED has somehow invented some new aluminum alloy that is many times stiffer and stronger than before (in which case they'll probably start working for Boeing or something), those things have got to be like cheese comparatively.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was considering the BAD for my fat boy. But not anymore after reading this.

HED AL Rim Damage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk