mtbr member

Smile Just ordered a Muru Witjira v2 Suspension Fatbike ;-)

Hey Fatbikers,

I have been lurking the mtbr forums for a long time and thought it was finally time to create an account and introduce myself.

Currently I ride a FS 29er and a FS DH rig on a weekly basis - I guess you could say that I am addicted to riding the local trails of Brisbane, Australia. I ride about 4 times per week and am always looking for new ways to increase the fun on the MTB

Anyway, I have been reading about fatbikes and how much fun people have riding them. My main goal when riding is to have fun - ok fast is fun - but the general feeling of flow on the trail is why I ride. It's that magic moment when you don't think about anything you just ride and focus on the trail. Very meditative for me

So, I have decided to get myself a Fatbike to try it out on my daily trails. I hope to make it my main MTB; XC trail, AM trail, DH - I want to use it for everything. So I did quite a bit of "internet research" and ended up deciding to get a Ti Hardtail suspension fork Fatbike.

Living in Australia what better than to support local Aussie Muru cycles. I emailed Wayne back and forth and he was very helpful in deciding on a build.

So there it is. I ended up ordering the Witjira V2 Titanium HT with the Muru suspension fork, XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes, Reverb Dropper post, wide bars and short stem on Marge Lite rims and On One Floater rubber.

Ok, I am super stoked. Like a little kid before Xmas and can not wait for the bike to arrive. The frame will have to be built first, so it is likely going to be a little while.

I plan to post updates with photos and experiences from the trail; XC, Enduro/AM and DH tracks. If it can handle knarly knar my intention is to ride it at Enduro and DH events during next season.

This forum has been a great resource when doing my research and I would like to thank all of you for all the great information in these pages.

Have a great day and may you find the Zen when you go riding
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    thanks for the kind words.

Welcome to the family.

Mr Muru

mtbr member

Just ordered a Muru Witjira v2 Suspension Fatbike ;-)

Jelly

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good choice on that

Though when you plan to use 29+ knards then you could have gone for a Mungo too, swapping wheels with the FS would have been an option with that one.

Course i love my Witjira v1 and think your build will be great fun too

mtbr member
    Great post. Welcome to the club and I look forward to following your fatbike experiences here.

Nuts
    I might be doing the same thing congrats!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You will love the fat bike experience

Wayne at MURU is super helpful and I too have considered one of these frames

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    To be clear - this is going to be a hardtail, yes? That suss fork looks like a spitting image of the German Answer Flame fork, which is not an insult. Indeed same hardware?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the bike is a hardtail and that fork also looks like the one Sandman is testing and announcing for over a year now

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Sattvic.
    I'm just up the road from you (Sunshine Coast). I ride a Sandman Hoggar Ti. Drop us a PM if you'd like to catch up for a ride when you get your fatbike... they are perfect on trails around the South East.
    Cheers
    Murray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Hi Sattvic.
    I'm just up the road from you (Sunshine Coast). I ride a Sandman Hoggar Ti. Drop us a PM if you'd like to catch up for a ride when you get your fatbike... they are perfect on trails around the South East.
    Cheers
    Murray

Hey Murray.

Yeah definitely. I looked at the Hogger Ti as well, but decided to go with Aussie manufacturer - it will be interesting to do a comparison, as I would expect the frames to be very similar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    To be clear - this is going to be a hardtail, yes? That suss fork looks like a spitting image of the German Answer Flame fork, which is not an insult. Indeed same hardware?

I am not sure. You would need to confirm with Wayne from Muru Cycles.
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sattvic View Post
    Hey Murray.

Yeah definitely. I looked at the Hogger Ti as well, but decided to go with Aussie manufacturer - it will be interesting to do a comparison, as I would expect the frames to be very similar

I am not sure. You would need to confirm with Wayne from Muru Cycles.
    Are they manufactured in Aus???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ads-bully View Post
    Are they manufactured in Aus???
    I believe the frames are manufactured in Taiwan? The important part to me was that I found an Aussie company that makes exactly the type of Fatbike that I was looking for + I am happy to support a company run by bike enthusiasts who hold real live jobs on the side. Where the frame is made doesn't matter that much to me, and I believe you might find that the expertise in Taiwan is quite high if not the best depending on where you go, but that is not for this thread ;-)

I am confident in Muru Cycle's supervision and management of the manufacturing, wherever it might be :-) Should anything go wrong I am sure that Wayne will be as great to deal with as he was when deciding on the build.
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah all sounds good and I was not inferring the quality of the product was in any way second rate. I have seen a Muru in the flesh and they look great.

I was more worried you were making a decision based on the belief the product was made in Aus, which it is not.. But sounds like you are across it, so good luck mate, enjoy the fatbike experience, I am ..

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vighor View Post
    the bike is a hardtail and that fork also looks like the one Sandman is testing and announcing for over a year now
    Indeed, Sandman is doing the dirty work on that fork since december last year... it's alas NOT ready yet for production.

PRETENDURO
    Dude, welcome to the fat family. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. Once you become fat, you will never look back.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    Indeed, Sandman is doing the dirty work on that fork since december last year... it's alas NOT ready yet for production.
    That's not what I want to hear!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    So the fork was the reason that the brakedisk melted?
    (j/k)

mtbr member
    The waiting is driving me insane

I went and put the fattest tyres I had in the garage on my 29er (2.35 HDs) Somehow I am quite sure it is not the same though.

Every morning on the trails I imagine how much fun this will be on a fat fat bike. This is somehow akin to a teenager dreaming about how great life is going to be once they get to date that pretty one... lol

Me wantz my muru.. September please come quickly
    Age is a state of mind

addicted to chunk
    At least it's already middle of august (yuk! year is almost over). Sounds like it'll be a very cool bike!!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So it's November now... how's it ride!?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately we ran into some production issues; Nothing wrong with the frames I suspect, but they didn't make my frame with the dropouts ordered so I decided to cancel and look elsewhere. Still looking and annoyed that I don't have the bike I was hoping to be riding by now.

Wayne and his team were really cool about it, when I asked to cancel once I knew the wait would be longer than initially expected.

Been trying to get my hands on a Carbon Beargrease XX1 but that seems hard in Australia.. now I am thinking to maybe wait for 11Nine fatbikes FS rig to be available... so many choices...
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am looking at building up a V2 next year, I am keen for some titanium action and the plan is to get the frame built then fit a lefty to it, I just need to check the specs and compare it to the Mukluk as I want some thing a little shorter and fat capable.