mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Is it just me or does everyone feel this.

OK so we all either DH or XC what ever we do we have some real fast sections that we do with ease and not really pay attention to the speed.
    On my fatty going down a snow covered hill at 25 Khm seems awfully damn fast to me, even once today I thought holy **** I better slow the F down before I eat it. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Last 2 days i met snowmobiles coming up the trails while i
    'm railing down , i just hope the hell i down wipe cause it wouldn't be pretty,, i usually won't touch the brakes till i get near the extreme T in the road , its really funny because some of the snowmobilers still haven't seen a fat bike before ,, and are slowing down to look at what the hell was that a Frankenbike. I running Knards front and back so i get going pretty fast at a 70% incline.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think the most sketchy part about riding a fatbike is the mixed use trails I ride. Bombing down a hill, tracks going every which way....shoes, snowshoes, sleds, snow machines, dogs, dog ****, girls in bikinis.

Trying to pick and hold a line in those conditions is hard, and once your front tire loses traction there is no telling when/if it well come back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIL CRANKER View Post
    i get going pretty fast at a 70% incline.
    70% Incline? That's like a 35 degree slope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Okay i got that wrong .It was steep.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Im old and not a fan of broken bones. I think I got that out of my system by now.

Jonshonda has dialed the answer in: traction isn't what dirt provides. I think my biggest fear is losing it on a fairly narrow singletrack-type trail in deep snow, diving headfirst over the bars.

That's OK if you just make a snow angel and laugh. Not so cool if there's a 50 foot drop down some craggy rocks...at night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Is it just me or does everyone feel this.

Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Exactly...It was prolly more like a 90% to 130% incline.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think much long braking distance and not knowing exactly what is under that snow is what give you that feel. I hit 18mph on a little downhill during my last ride and I thought I was flying. I find that my front wheel washes out a lot when I hit small ruts that I couldn't see because the snow hide some subtle features.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    These days I'm into slow living, slow cooking, slower walking, slower cycling, and pretty much slower everything, unless I'm surfing and trying to make a tube section.
    Sometimes I'm slow to answer a question (but that just makes me appear "thoughtful"). The mind may be quick, but the aging carcass slowly but surely is getting slower to react. At 63+ years, if I try to move too quickly or radically, I can easily pull a muscle, over stretch a tendon, or throw something out of joint.
    I figure I'm safer from becoming my own worst enema as long as I avoid any downhill kamikaze runs, and just ride my Fat Bike on the beach and mellow trails... at least until familiarity with its handling breeds the inevitable "contempt." I don't really need to explore and seek the "limits," but I need to survive to ride another day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I remember this feeling. You are not alone.

Now everything is different. The slippery/scary Larry's and Endo's are in the shed. I will put them on in summer for beach rides.

For snow I have become a big fan of Bud on the front (have a 4.0 rear on a 170 rear). Love the way the bike rides with a wider and taller front tire.

Bud changed everything. It is a really good, confidence inspiring tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah I run a Bud on the front and a Nate on the rear and its been allot more fun with these over the Vee rubber that came on the bike. It's my first fatbike and getting used to the handing has been different, I have learned one things, snow no matter how hard packed you think it is it's not dirt and will let go at a certain level of stress. What that stress is, is anyone's guess.

We have had allot of snow this year, more so then the last 20 or so, the trails I have been riding are multiuse, hiking,snowshoeing and XC skiing , thanks god for that or it would not be able to ride. The trail is about 16 inches wide at max and this is what I think throws me off going down the hills, I have no margin for mistake, one slip off I am into deep snow and most likely going down in a hurry. I don't mind crashing in the snow its pretty soft but I don't know whats under it, that a drift or a big rock LOL.

I did crash yesterday on one of the DH, hit a rut tire went a little squirrely and off into the deep snow I went, front tire washed out and I flew into the snow, was deep and there was a big cloud of powder at impact, I remember this as a kid tobogganing and pulled myself out out laughing my ass off. Anyone would have come by might of thought I was nuts, hell most think I am nuts out in the snow on a bike anyways.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Narrow trails are tough. For me I enjoy railing on slightly wider trail. One snowmachine wide is a bit wider than ideal but at speed I like having the latitude when cornering. In snow it seems like the turns have a radius similar to skiing. IE once you tip Bud over and set the knobs you are committed to an arc. So often single track refuses to match this line or I second guess things and poof. Snow show.

Second thing I will suggest equipment wise is: short stem and wide bar.

Hope some of this helps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Snow is not like dirt. On dirt if you want to turn the bike, it turns. On snow it may turn, or may not. Or you may not want to turn but the bike will any ways. Traction in snow means that there is only some to lots of slip.

Trying to keep upright at 5 or 7 mph is a challenge by itself alot of the time.

Or maybe that just because I am usually riding on walking trails with some light snow cover to hide the previous foot prints.

Craig

mtbr member
    I get going down a section that, in summer, I can just tear down at top speed and... there's a section where the trail is essentially washed out/drifted over and I think oh crap and I grab my brakes and there's nothing for the back tire to hold on to and I shift my weight back as far as I can and I hope for the best...

Or it's the downhill section through the woods with lots of really tight trees and that corner that I know I can hit really fast in the summer is packed with snow and it's really hard to tell where the banked turn ends and the snow drift begins...

Yup.

Down hill on a fatbike can be fun...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yup, riding on tip toes for the most part. Realy learnign to look ahead for areas to carry momentum. I've been learnign to turn the bike with the rear brake more and more also.

Then theres that point of no return as you push the berms a little to high up and just loose it. Every lap is getting faster though
    Mongoose product development