mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Jumping on a rigid fatbike

So when I bought my fat bike I peeled off a sticker that said "Warning: this bike is not built for jumps or drops greater than 2 feet in height". Well, a 2 foot threshold would ban anyone from almost any black diamond trails. Needless to say I've gone right ahead and put my fat bike through some pretty nasty treatment, but where should I start drawing the line?

I'm not trying to do crankworx on this beast, I'm just trying to get the peace of mind of knowing what it takes to bend the fork or crack the frame. What's the first thing to go and how do I avoid getting into trouble? I have an SE F@R/Fuji Wendigo/BD fb5 frame.

Depends on your skill level. Hans Rey could land a 15' drop on a road bike and do it smoothly enough to cause no damage. Me, I'd probably break any bike at 4'.

sluice box
    Don't use HED rims.
    ptarmigan hardcore

turtles make me hot
    I'm a clyde and I catch a little air on my fattie all the time. Doesn't hurt it a bit.
    But... My bike is all custom. Like stremf said, if you're skilled, you won't hurt it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Me, I'd probably break any bike at 4'.
    Break yourself on a 4' drop you mean? I would hope a good bike can survive 4 feet of gravitational impact.

Regarding the whole skill thing, we all try not to fight gravity more than we have to, but dropping is still dropping and not all jumps or TTFs can boast "soft landings when skilled". There's purely gnarly stuff out there which can just be abusive. I don't think Andreu Lacondeguy could run a fatbike down Captain Ahab without a scratch.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    ...I don't think Andreu Lacondeguy could run a fatbike down Captain Ahab without a scratch.
    My girlfriend could run a fat bike down Captain Ahab without a scratch. Every feature on it is rollable. Where are you coming from?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    It's the forks and wheels that your going to have to worry about. Already seen videos of those cheaper fat bike forks folding on landings. People do it but doesn't mean bike is meant for it. Also why they made forks like the bluto.

I don't exceed about 18" with mine, I have carbon fiber forks but 4.7 tires to take up the force of the landings.

If you had a better fork I'd be less concerned. But with one of the cheaper forks I'd be afraid of folding it off more than a 12" step.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Depends on your skill level. Hans Rey could land a 15' drop on a road bike and do it smoothly enough to cause no damage.
    I call BS on that. Just because you don't see it break in the video doesn't mean he isn't subjecting it to stresses exceeding the design criteria. I think all those videos give you a false sense of what bikes can handle and how easy it is to do stuff like that. For sure, what they do is impressive, takes a lot of practice, strength, conditioning, but make no mistake it's abusive as hell. They might minimize their impact, but to say they cause no damage is a huge oversight IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    This phrase is just about in any manual I've seen or somewhere in the fine print. Even downhillers /freeriders sometimes have this somewhere in the manual, which is absurd.

It's basically protection of the firm against any kind of claims you might have after an accident.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I call BS on that. Just because you don't see it break in the video doesn't mean he isn't subjecting it to stresses exceeding the design criteria. I think all those videos give you a false sense of what bikes can handle and how easy it is to do stuff like that. For sure, what they do is impressive, takes a lot of practice, strength, conditioning, but make no mistake it's abusive as hell. They might minimize their impact, but to say they cause no damage is a huge oversight IMO.
    Yeah I agree--see the Fabio Wibmer video of him shredding Leogang on a city bike. The bike clearly has broken a hundred times during the project, but the video makes it look like it holds up just fine (almost).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Where are you coming from?
    Not from Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    My girlfriend could run a fat bike down Captain Ahab without a scratch. Every feature on it is rollable.
    Oops maybe I meant Portal trail or whatever trail they practice on before Rampage.

mtbr member
    If you know how to PROPERLY do jumps and drops, you will be fine. Just remember, your legs and knees are taking the impact. Also, have a decent amount of air in your tires, or this could happen, good thing I planned on replacing these rims anyway.

bigger than you.
    A week after I took my 9:ZERO:7 down the lift runs at Windham mountain bike park, I noticed a crack in the frame; I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    A week after I took my 9:ZERO:7 down the lift runs at Windham mountain bike park, I noticed a crack in the frame; I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.
    I took mine down Windham too, got some funny looks from other riders. Was it a carbon frame?

mtbr member
    First thing to do is make sure you have a good health insurance plan, because you are going to need it sooner or later! My question is who thinks it's a good idea to take a super cheap BD fatbike off 4 foot drops? You are clearly riding the wrong bike or riding the wrong trails. Fatbikes are designed to ride on soft surfaces at moderate speeds, not to ride in a bike park on black diamond trails. It might not break the first time you take a 4 foot drop, but eventually it will....

Nobody can tell you what that threshold is, as it varies widely. A smooth 125lb rider will have very different results from a 250lb bull-in-China-shop rider.

It's all about the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You kids and your fact checking culture is ridiculous. See the big picture. Just merely making a point.

By the way, never seen Hans Rey on a roadie. Plenty of him on the GT hard tail back in the day. How strong wheels are these days, even road wheels (mine are 32h and strong as MTB wheels), he prob wouldn't have issues, although it may take a few tries.

And I'm sure all of you have seen Road Bike Party. He takes some pretty big drops in that vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have a couple cracks around my BB in my frame right now, but I could put together a pretty kick ass riding video where you don't see any of it. I jump and have raced many times. I'll continue to do these things, but I realize it's not a DH bike or a trials bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Don't use HED rims.
    Pfffft. I have a set of Hed's on my Echo that I bought 2.5 years ago with all of 200 miles on them that have hung on the hook with no issues what-so-ever. Good as the day I bought them and have held up great when I go out to the garage with a beer or cup of joe and stare at 'em. We're talking some serious stares here, not no girly glances. True as the day I got 'em.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by traditiionalist View Post
    I took mine down Windham too, got some funny looks from other riders. Was it a carbon frame?
    Alloy w 135mm rear. To be fair, my local trails are strew with rocks, logs and other technical features; I may have not had the best technique when I started riding that bike and the weight didn't help. I tend to ride through obstacles, rather that float over them...
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Pfffft. I have a set of Hed's on my Echo that I bought 2.5 years ago with all of 200 miles on them that have hung on the hook with no issues what-so-ever. Good as the day I bought them and have held up great when I go out to the garage with a beer or cup of joe and stare at 'em. We're talking some serious stares here, not no girly glances. True as the day I got 'em.
    How soon before you'll be able to ride? No apology for derailling this thread, it needs it.

mtbr member
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/eswgames/photos/There's a bunch of shots of people jumping way more than 2-3 feet in this link. If the jumps are built right you can take big air easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Okay that was seriously the funniest thing I've read all day. Maybe even this week.

How come there still hanging on the wall ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction