Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Jumbo Jim

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Would you feel confident racing the JJ on groomed?
    While this would be dependent on conditions, I would prolly prefer the Bud/Lou.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    While this would be dependent on conditions, I would prolly prefer the Bud/Lou.
    Kind of what i was thinking. Getting agressive with a high HR and that urgency can lead to extreme grip ‘situations.’ Maybe be best to have the helgas just in case.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The VH's are a great tire although, not 4.8. The deep lugs are amazing especially with lower pressure.
    I agree with Mikesee on the "wrinkle count for conditions" analogy.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The VH's are a great tire although, not 4.8. The deep lugs are amazing especially with lower pressure.
    I agree with Mikesee on the "wrinkle count for conditions" analogy.
    I agree. The JJs are sitting in the rafters waiting for warmer months. The VHs have been nothing short of amazing at 2-3psi for me considering its a 4.0. I was just hoping maybe the groomed track would let me get away with the lighter jims, but seeing how this is my first fat race, and I'd like to go SPD vs flats, I don't want to be worried about grip while clipped in.

Thought about maybe getting a Flowbeist on the front. with VH on back (frame wont fit a 4.6 without going 1x, currently I have a 2x). But at this point just VH F/R should be good especially on groomed.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I agree. The JJs are sitting in the rafters waiting for warmer months. The VHs have been nothing short of amazing at 2-3psi for me considering its a 4.0. I was just hoping maybe the groomed track would let me get away with the lighter jims, but seeing how this is my first fat race, and I'd like to go SPD vs flats, I don't want to be worried about grip while clipped in.

Thought about maybe getting a Flowbeist on the front. with VH on back (frame wont fit a 4.6 without going 1x, currently I have a 2x). But at this point just VH F/R should be good especially on groomed.
    Frankly, giving the JJ's a shot with a practice run is worthy. Best way to get an idea of their snow performance is in the real world. Playing with the pressure and all that jazz is kinda fun experimentation as well.

On the flow, I've been looking at the Wratchild as well. They seem to look rather nice in terms of lug size and depth.

Dammit, I would love to be able to pick each aspect of a tire from an ala carte list from casing, tread pattern, rubbuh compound etc. and make my tires fully custom. How kewl would that be?

Since I took up observed trials, I lost all interest in SPD's since a balance check is near to impossible with em. I have a preference for platforms that have pins on the perimeter as well as under the ball of the foot. Then I don't have to wear bastardized wing tips to ride a bike!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looks like I'll get to do that actually. I will have some time to hit the track a few days before.

In the snow, I'm almost always flats. But summer singletrack, except unknown BC or really techy rides, I'm exclusively clipless. And especially races, just a cadence and motion habit I guess as I used to be flats/5-10s only for everything.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Looks like I'll get to do that actually. I will have some time to hit the track a few days before.

In the snow, I'm almost always flats. But summer singletrack, except unknown BC or really techy rides, I'm exclusively clipless. And especially races, just a cadence and motion habit I guess as I used to be flats/5-10s only for everything.
    Good stuff! Let us know your findings with the JJ's vs. VH's.

I can relate to the SPD thing being a good choice for many. SPD does have its advantages.
    I've become so accustomed to freely moving on my pedals that I feel restricted with em is the primary reason I stopped using em.
    My cadence is 125-175 routinely with either SPD or flats, lest I'm gettin trialsy in the tech. (My bikes are gonna soap my mouth)
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I run the VH in front and JJ 4.0 rear all summer. Sometimes the rear washes out on me when braking in a turn (bad technique) but never lose traction when climbing.

snow? hmmm... VH would rock but JJ? IDK
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I tested my well worn 4.0 lightskin pacestars over the past week in 5" of slick powder and they did almost as well as the 4.0 wazia studded tires on my second bike and I could only run the air down to 4.5psi due to burping concerns. This powder was very slick and everyone has been struggling on it. I plan on having some 4.8 SS JJ pacestars mounted to some new mulefuts within the next week to get some more float and go to the super low pressures for the next snowfall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    I tested my well worn 4.0 lightskin pacestars over the past week in 5" of slick powder and they did almost as well as the 4.0 wazia studded tires on my second bike and I could only run the air down to 4.5psi due to burping concerns. This powder was very slick and everyone has been struggling on it. I plan on having some 4.8 SS JJ pacestars mounted to some new mulefuts within the next week to get some more float and go to the super low pressures for the next snowfall.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will get a chance this weekend to try the jims on a groomed track. I'm going skiing next to some groomed runs and will likely stop there afterward to test.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678