Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 652

Thread: Jumbo Jim

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    After about three weeks of owning these tires and putting them thru the paces, here's what I've come up with. Great for hardpack snow and dirt, crummy in mud. In loose snow they're ok. Overall, I'm happy with the tire as they're my choice for a summer tire. The compound feels a lot more tacky than the D4's I had before. They roll pretty good as well.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    are these the 4.0 or 4.8? thanks.

  2. #202
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: anortherncrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    658
    4.0


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    two wheel livin'..

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    4.0


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks and your review of these tires is helpful as i'm planning to buy a pair of 4.0 Jumbo Jim for trail use. By the way, did you happen to weigh your tires before installing it?

  4. #204
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: anortherncrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    658
    You bet man. No I didn't weigh them unfortunately but they're pretty damn light. I'm very happy with the tire though. Rode another 17 miles today and for what I'm riding, around 10 psi was the sweet spot for me. Next winter, I'm gonna run either the 4.8s or the D5s on 100mm rims.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    two wheel livin'..

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876

    Jumbo Jim

    JJ4.8/Mulefat 80 measure 4.25/ 15 psi. First time tubeless here, very easy.
    Edit/ after 2 weeks another measurement.
    4.5 knob to knob


    Pedaling
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 04-03-2015 at 11:14 AM.

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,089
    ^Nice looking setup...but you got some wheel builders steaming with that tire/wheel alignment.

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    738
    Mulefut sticker delete would be my next move

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    JJ4.8/Mulefat 80 measure 4.25/ 15 psi. First time tubeless here, very easy.


    Pedaling
    nice. may I know where did you purchased your JJ 4.8 and are there any JJ 4.0 available?

    thanks.

  9. #209
    ebnash
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    JJ4.8/Mulefat 80 measure 4.25/ 15 psi. First time tubeless here, very easy.


    Pedaling
    Pretty disappointing measurement result. I have a pair of Mulefut's and purchased JJ4.8's but have yet to put them on due to lack of time. Based on your measurement result, I don't think I am going to actually mount these tires. I currently have Maxxis Mammoth 4.0's that measure just at 100mm on my Mulefut's so not much to gain there other than a larger diameter that will just make my 1st gear less effective.

    Glad you are happy with the tires and I am thankful to see this post. JJ's might be for sale now. Brand new, never mounted.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876
    I have a knee tendinitis that has taken way to long to heal. Still a couple months out before any riding. Originally I had Bud's but was reluctant to run tubeless being a heavyweight. When I was able to grab the JJ's (ChainReaction) I figured I'd give tubeless a shot. Sold the Bud's as new. I really made the switch because of the ease of TL. Weight savings was a bonus. To seat Bud properly w/ tubes took 30 psi and they were huge. Aired them down to 10 they are about the same as the JJ.
    Logos?


    Pedaling

  11. #211
    ebnash
    Guest
    Has anyone had both Ground Control Fat and Jumbo Jim? Curious to know how they compare size wise, mounted.

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Just weighed my new JJ's 4.8 Lite Skins... 1305g & 1356g for those who care.

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Just weighed my new JJ's 4.8 Lite Skins... 1305g & 1356g for those who care.
    Ouch aren't they supposed to be 1190 gr for the Lite skin? If so that would put the Snake Skin (1290gr claimed) pretty close to a Ground Control.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Ouch aren't they supposed to be 1190 gr for the Lite skin? If so that would put the Snake Skin (1290gr claimed) pretty close to a Ground Control.
    Jumbo Jim-image.jpg

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,420
    my JJ 4.9 LS was in 1190g range

  16. #216
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Check at my LBS today on an availability date September 4.8 $225 each.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Check at my LBS today on an availability date September 4.8 $225 each.
    I'll sell you a new one for about half that!

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    .....availability date September ......
    13 months since the announcement. Maybe next winter.

  19. #219
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I'll sell you a new one for about half that!
    Thanks but I'll wait for 2.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  20. #220
    arc
    arc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Thanks but I'll wait for 2.

    I haven't bought anything from these guys, but they've had 4.8 liteskins in stock for a while. Note the expected available date on the 4.0 and snakeskin tires.

    SCHWALBE JUMBO JIM MTB 26"

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	981264
    Bummer was hoping to shave a pound or so when I switch to JJ 4.8 TL, looks like I'll stick with the GC's until they are well worn. May actually be lighter than the JJ's once the knobs get worn...
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  22. #222
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    I haven't bought anything from these guys, but they've had 4.8 liteskins in stock for a while. Note the expected available date on the 4.0 and snakeskin tires.

    SCHWALBE JUMBO JIM MTB 26"
    Thanks bookmarked but $80 shipping to Canada is a bit steep.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  23. #223
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Bummer was hoping to shave a pound or so when I switch to JJ 4.8 TL, looks like I'll stick with the GC's until they are well worn. May actually be lighter than the JJ's once the knobs get worn...
    300 grams per tire if the weight is correct.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42
    highonbikes.com has the 4.8 in stock. I purchased two of them @ roughly $86 per tire. They are in the UK so shipping is a bit pricey and a PITA to wait for. Out the door I paid $218 shipped. Great customer service would buy another pair in a heart beat.

  25. #225
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel6 View Post
    highonbikes.com has the 4.8 in stock. I purchased two of them @ roughly $86 per tire. They are in the UK so shipping is a bit pricey and a PITA to wait for. Out the door I paid $218 shipped. Great customer service would buy another pair in a heart beat.
    Thanks a little better on the shipping 270 total Canadian.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    300 grams per tire if the weight is correct.
    The poster above had said the 4.8 Lite Skins were 1305g & 1356g. Assuming his scale is accurate that would put the TL snake skins in the 1400gr range which is pretty close to the 1450 ish GC's. Granted it is all speculation until the 4.8 Snake Skins hit the streets.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    The poster above had said the 4.8 Lite Skins were 1305g & 1356g. Assuming his scale is accurate that would put the TL snake skins in the 1400gr range which is pretty close to the 1450 ish GC's. Granted it is all speculation until the 4.8 Snake Skins hit the streets.
    I will weigh on a professionally calibrated scale tomorrow and take a pic

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I will weigh on a professionally calibrated scale tomorrow and take a pic
    Cool-thanks!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  29. #229
    Nobody
    Reputation: Shamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    110
    I did not use a calibrated scale, but my 4.8 Liteskins were 1270 and 1290ish.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Jumbo Jim-image.jpg
    Sorry, picture could have been better but it is 1306g and this is the lighter of the 2.

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    That sucks! If the Snake Skins are supposed to be 100gr more, they will likely be very close to my GC's. Was hoping this would be an easy way to shed some rotating weight. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Jumbo Jim-image.jpgJumbo Jim-image.jpg

    Sorry the pics are flipped. The 4.8 @ 10psi on ML(65mm):

    Width= 4.338" (110mm)
    Height= 29.875" (758mm)

  33. #233
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1159 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	981408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	981409

    Sorry the pics are flipped. The 4.8 @ 10psi on ML(65mm):

    Width= 4.338" (110mm)
    Height= 29.875" (758mm)
    Same size has my Bulldozers.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,089
    ^Tubeless setup?

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ^Tubeless setup?
    Nope, there was a tube involved!

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Nope, there was a tube involved!
    No wonder.

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    No wonder.
    I was actually impressed with how big these are on a ML! They roll even nicer on hardpack/pavement then my D5 and still lighter. It gives the added BB height I like having as well!

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    I mounted up JJ 4.8 on a Nextie 90mm rim, measured 113mm wide, weighed 1330 grams. By comparison, the 4.7 Bulldozer it was replacing was 108mm wide, and not quite tall. I'm running JJ 4.8 on the front with a Bluto, but since my frame is a 170 Fatback, this pushed the rear too far. The bigger JJ rubs the seat stays, and is just starting to kiss the chain. So, it's back to the Bulldozer in the rear. I'm running 1x10 with 42 tooth Wolftooth, with no issues.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42
    I have mine on the stock 80mm wheels that came on my Lurch and they couldn't fit better. I'm running 1x10 w30t up front with no interference whatsoever.

  40. #240
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    I gave up on them ordered some Maxxis ones.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  41. #241
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    I gave up on waiting for the 4.0 and got a Panaracer Fat B Nimble. I'm happy with it.

  42. #242
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I gave up on waiting for the 4.0 and got a Panaracer Fat B Nimble. I'm happy with it.
    do they measure up smaller than a 3.8 knard? i wouldn't want to drop my bb height any. luckily going from 80mm rims to 65's raised my bb height enough where pedal strikes are mostly a long lost phenomenon.

  43. #243
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    do they measure up smaller than a 3.8 knard? i wouldn't want to drop my bb height any. luckily going from 80mm rims to 65's raised my bb height enough where pedal strikes are mostly a long lost phenomenon.
    they're probably smaller. On a 65mm rim, they measure 3.5" wide and gave me an additional 6mm clearance from the top of my tire to the crown, which for me was a good thing as I was having tire rub on my lefty crown when the stanchion was compressed. ymmv.

  44. #244
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    they're probably smaller. On a 65mm rim, they measure 3.5" wide and gave me an additional 6mm clearance from the top of my tire to the crown, which for me was a good thing as I was having tire rub on my lefty crown when the stanchion was compressed. ymmv.
    thank you. i'm gonna go measure my knards.

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    Where the heck are you all getting your Jumbo Jims? I've been looking to get a set of 4" folders for summer tires but have not found any in stock anywhere.
    Latitude 61

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    thank you. i'm gonna go measure my knards.
    That just sounds wrong.
    Latitude 61

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Where the heck are you all getting your Jumbo Jims? I've been looking to get a set of 4" folders for summer tires but have not found any in stock anywhere.
    Highonbikes.com is where I purchased my 4.8" Jims. Unfortunately, they didn't have 4.0"'s in stock.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    I gave up on them ordered some Maxxis ones.
    Good call, this is the response I received when I asked Universal about availability today:

    We arenít expecting those until November 1, 2015.

    Have a good day,

    Schmitty, Universal Cycles
    sales@universalcycles.com
    (800) 936 5156
    Universal Cycles - The Largest Selection of Road and Mountain Bike Parts

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scot_douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    235
    I found another place; hopefully they come through! I ordered them two months ago - and the price was cheap (129 euro for the pair, shipped to USA). I recently checked in to see when they expected them and got this reply:

    Hi Scot,

    the expected delivery time for Schwalbe Jumbo Jim evolution LiteSkin PaceStar Folding model 2015 black-26x4,8 has changed to probably the 15.05.2015.

    With best regards
    bike-components.de OHG
    Commercial register Aachen HRA 6179
    VAT code DE191317292
    Owner: Klaus Hoenig & Marcus Wenkel

    Shipping: Carlo-Schmid 12 D-52146 Wuerselen
    Store: D-52062 Aachen Neupforte 2d

    tel: +49 2405 4500-45
    fax: +49 2405 4500-46

    web: www.bike-components.de
    mail: info@bike-components.de

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    Good call, this is the response I received when I asked Universal about availability today:

    We arenít expecting those until November 1, 2015.

    Have a good day,

    Schmitty, Universal Cycles
    sales@universalcycles.com
    (800) 936 5156
    Universal Cycles - The Largest Selection of Road and Mountain Bike Parts
    I should have stated that this is for the 4.0 version.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tire?
    By scubaklook in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 09:32 PM
  2. Jumbo bottle cages out there besides the "Anything Cage"?
    By Gyro_t in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-25-2016, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •