Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 682

Thread: Jumbo Jim

  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    116
    I bought them from an eBay seller out of England, I believe, just under $300 shipped to MN after the currency conversion.

    The 18.5 mph avg was on asphalt, not dirt. The point was the consistency to the 1/10 with my other tires since people have asked about rolling resistance comparisons in this thread. This was the most consistent way I could think to compare them.

  2. #302
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,917
    Sure are some xl helmet wearing excessively large penis doods hanging out in this thread. Time for me to move along, just not worthy

  3. #303
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sure are some xl helmet wearing excessively large penis doods hanging out in this thread. Time for me to move along, just not worthy

  4. #304
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Finally one that I know is true

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Talk to me when you can out sprint a cheetah.

  6. #306
    frl
    frl is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    75
    Lol

  7. #307
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by frl View Post
    Lol
    x2!

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    116
    Just got back from a single track ride (I'll avoid any references to pace that may help provide context for the results ). They roll very well and definitely have better cornering traction than the Husker/Knard. Not faster in a straight line (really close) but that might partly be due to the brand new tire tackiness.

    FWIW, my helmet size is M/L.

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Anyone have 4.8's they'd trade for 4.0's if I decide to go that direction?
    I've got a pair of the Liteskins that I tried to squeeze on my Fatback, didn't work. Never been ridden, and would trade for some 4.0 take offs. Or I'll sell them to anyone looking to cover my costs.

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I've got a pair of the Liteskins that I tried to squeeze on my Fatback, didn't work. Never been ridden, and would trade for some 4.0 take offs. Or I'll sell them to anyone looking to cover my costs.
    I sent you a PM, thanks

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,715
    Quote Originally Posted by frl View Post
    Was riding with my brother last week. On asphalt. He was riding road bike and I on fb with JJ 4.8". 86 km. Average speed 26.5 km/t. He asked if I got a engine in the bike.---- yes, to legs.
    average hart rate, 68 % of max pulse. I will say JJ roll good on asphalt. And helps that the fb weights 11.7 kg with bluto.
    You're like...amazing.

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Ferris Bueller You're my Hero!

  13. #313
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by frl View Post
    average hart rate, 68 % of max pulse
    That just sent another one to the hole.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107


    Got mine yesterday, super tyre, very low rolling resistance, even comapared to tha maxxis mammoth
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  15. #315
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Nice looking ride, but man get the next frame size up already!

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    Haha, no, this one fits me perfect
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    19
    ei, where did you order? i can't find any stocks online.

  18. #318
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    Haha, no, this one fits me perfect
    welll kudos to you for having the balls to ride a bike where the handlebar height is below the saddle. the dropper post generation couldn't even fathom that that. they'd be worried about going over the bars when approaching even the smallest little pebbles and pinecones. or any type of decline where the front wheel dipped below the level of the rear wheel, lol!!!

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    ?????, ive never ridden a bike with the bars above the saddle, its not my grandpa's bike!
    Have you ever seen a xc bike?, or a sportsbike in common?? I think 90% of the sports bikes have the saddle above the bars
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Minionbike View Post
    ei, where did you order? i can't find any stocks online.

    On bikemarkt.de.
    A german bikebuilder has them on stock. Bike steel borrow i think his name was
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  21. #321
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    ?????, ive never ridden a bike with the bars above the saddle, its not my grandpa's bike!
    Have you ever seen a xc bike?, or a sportsbike in common?? I think 90% of the sports bikes have the saddle above the bars
    You obviously haven't spent nuff time on teh mtbr fowum

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    Probably not, i spend my time riding, not trying to be a wise ass about complaining about someone's frame size, and not knowing how big or small i am, and only looking to size charts.

    Pleasy on topic from now on, has nothing to do with the super jumbo jim tyres.
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  23. #323
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    Probably not, i spend my time riding, not trying to be a wise ass about complaining about someone's frame size, and not knowing how big or small i am, and only looking to size charts.

    Pleasy on topic from now on, has nothing to do with the super jumbo jim tyres.
    dood, i ride plenty. many many hours a week. yer frames a size too small. you went with large cuz XL were not available. your bike setup tells the tale. folks should know what size to buy or not. too many folks on here buy or are considering buying the wrong size cuz many shops don't know how a bike should fit or their just trying to sell what they have in stock. a poor guy came in yesterday with a new kona taro that a shop down the streeet just sold him. he's 5'10 on a frickin small, lol. my gawd

    how are the sidewalls holding up on the JJ's?

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ShredMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    how are the sidewalls holding up on the JJ's?
    Haha! Keeping it relative to the JJs at least.

  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    91

    Jumbo Jim

    I made them tubeless. Sidewalls are not completely airtight, so sealant is a must.

    And they are a nightmare in mud, had a few crashes.

    But otherwise a great tire, lots of grip and really low rolling resistance, especially when tubeless.

    Just saying...


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    For trail use - I'm still considering the jumbo jim 4" liteskin over the 45nrth husker du 4" as based on the weights that i'm reading - the former is lighter and a true 4" tire on an 80mm rim. The husker du is said to be only 3.8" on 80mm rim. Anyway, i guess these are 2 great tires for the trails.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  27. #327
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post
    For trail use - I'm still considering the jumbo jim 4" liteskin over the 45nrth husker du 4"
    I can tell you 100%, the casing on a liteskin is 10 times better than a rubber bag Hudu, I own 3 sets of HuDus, still have a set on the missus bike... awesome tyres, but technology has caught up on Surly/45NRTH, the liteskin is a great tyre, it pings twigs and sticks out of the way like a normal MTB tyre rather than spiking it.

    Definitely go the JJ.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  28. #328
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Cant even imaging what the snakeskin tyre is like, must be bulletproof.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    116

    Jumbo Jim

    I don't have a liteskin to compare to, but the snakeskin definitely has some substance to it (impressive that it's only a 100g penalty, therefore strongly suggested for tubeless). My only concern was that additional sidewall stiffness may be a detriment to rolling speed at low winter pressures. I went for it anyway since said low winter pressures are very hard on the sidewalls with all the flex.

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Hi guys. I know that the appropriate rim widths for a 4.8" JJ is either an 80, 90 or 100mm. But has anyone tried a surly marge lite 65mm rim with 4.8" JJ? Just asking as i want to lighter on the rims but a bit wider tires. Thanks.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  31. #331
    move on up...
    Reputation: Forged1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    395
    Works great on whisky 70mm carbon rim, perfect rounded tire profile between 7-16 psi. I can't wait till more become available.

  32. #332
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    cant wait to get my meat hooks on a pair of 4.0 jj snake skins for my marglites.

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post
    Hi guys. I know that the appropriate rim widths for a 4.8" JJ is either an 80, 90 or 100mm. But has anyone tried a surly marge lite 65mm rim with 4.8" JJ? Just asking as i want to lighter on the rims but a bit wider tires. Thanks.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I've got some miles on a 4.8/ML. It was my favorite summer combo to date till. Buy a set and throw them on your ML's. I loved the extra cush, BB height, and low rolling resistance!

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    @jpfurn,

    is it possible to see some photos of your Marge Lite and Jumbo Jim 4.8"? Just curious how this set-up looks.

    TIA.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    I think the jj's are perfect, think they roll better then the maxxis mammoth, and has a lot of grip, even in wet sand they didn't let me down, as long as you let the taller side knobs dig in the dirt. So far the best tire i've ridden
    Scott Scale 710 plus, with guide rs, XX1

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post
    @jpfurn,

    is it possible to see some photos of your Marge Lite and Jumbo Jim 4.8"? Just curious how this set-up looks.

    TIA.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Scott, I posted some pics and measurements back on page 10. I think I posted another pic shortly after comparing the ML/4.8 vs ML/4.0 as well. Hope this helps, if not PM me.

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    @jpfurn,

    Thanks - i saw your photos on page 10. I'm convinced that i'll follow your ML/JJ 4.8 setup.

    Cheers!

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    246
    Pneu Fat bike Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26◊4.0? | Monfat

    They just sent my 4.0 liteskin 😃

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cardnation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    172
    Any new leads on the 4.0 Jumbo Jim that will deliver to the US?

    Really would love to get my hands on just one to test out.
    I bike with tires.

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    354
    There is a seller on the bay now claiming he can get any size/casing. Located in US.


    Chris.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Another option for lightweight non-carbon wheels - JJ 4.0 or 4.8 + DT Swiss BR710 rims + Hope Fastno hubs + DT Swiss Revo or Comp spokes - setup tubeless.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    There is a seller on the bay now claiming he can get any size/casing. Located in US.


    Chris.
    Got a link?

  43. #343
    Nobody
    Reputation: Shamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    110
    There is only 1 result for "Schwalbe Jumbo Jim" on eBay.

    Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4 0 Liteskin Fat Bike Tire | eBay
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

  44. #344
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    There is only 1 result for "Schwalbe Jumbo Jim" on eBay.

    Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4 0 Liteskin Fat Bike Tire | eBay
    In his listing it says he can get other JJ's. I messaged him about getting a pair of 4.0 Snakeskin and his response was...

    "the 4.8 are about an extra $20 each and I can get them in about 4 days
    shipping time".


    His reading comprehension skills could use some work.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 08-14-2015 at 05:02 AM.
    No moss...

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Bike24 says Schwalbe is currently saying they will not be delivered until the middle of March.
    Did you ever get your JJ's from bike24? I'm tempted to order a set, but don't want to be waiting 6 months.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Did you ever get your JJ's from bike24? I'm tempted to order a set, but don't want to be waiting 6 months.
    I have yet to get them.
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

  47. #347
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    I have yet to get them.
    Bummer, guess I'll keep looking for somewhere that has them in stock.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    246
    See my link a few posts up.

  49. #349
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    See my link a few posts up.

    Product out of stock
    No moss...

  50. #350
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Feeling a bit sad here... just about to shave the knobs off my 4.8" JJ's for the Simpson Desert Race.

    Thinking centre and mid knobs and a slight shaving of the side ones for a max of 4psi, dropping to 2psi min.

    Its a small price considering the cash out laid for this 3500km round trip, with 1500km of that on the most inhospitable tracks in Australia, including the crazy Simpson Desert and the notorious Birdsville track.

    Man them knobs feel and look good

    Just hoping bike24 come through with the "other" set soon


    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Way2ManyBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    578
    I just picked up my 4.0's last week and plan to mount them after today's ride


    Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cardnation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Feeling a bit sad here... just about to shave the knobs off my 4.8" JJ's for the Simpson Desert Race.

    Thinking centre and mid knobs and a slight shaving of the side ones for a max of 4psi, dropping to 2psi min.

    Its a small price considering the cash out laid for this 3500km round trip, with 1500km of that on the most inhospitable tracks in Australia, including the crazy Simpson Desert and the notorious Birdsville track.

    Man them knobs feel and look good

    Just hoping bike24 come through with the "other" set soon
    Did you happen to take measurements of them?

    Curious how the 4.8" JJ stacks up against others in terms of size.
    I bike with tires.

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    In his listing it says he can get other JJ's. I messaged him about getting a pair of 4.0 Snakeskin and his response was...

    "the 4.8 are about an extra $20 each and I can get them in about 4 days
    shipping time".


    His reading comprehension skills could use some work.
    Got two snakeskin 4.0 off ebay about a month ago from the U.K. They each weigh about 1200 grams. Then I ordered some 4.0 Liteskins two weeks ago, also off ebay from a different seller (the one mentioned here) and they just arrived today, weighing in at 1040 grams and 1050 grams.

    I mounted the liteskins on 90mm specialized rims and they actually look pretty good, not too stretched or short-sidewalled with good tread wrap even on the wider rims.

  54. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615

    8/27/15 - Exactly one year after the announcment and this thread began.

    8/27/14-
    Quote Originally Posted by uwprunner View Post
    Does anyone have any info on availability?

    1/3/15-
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    One of my distributors said mid month.

    2/3/15-
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I emailed Schwalbe directly and was told "early spring" for the US.
    Not picking on any one of you. Just for my own cathartic relief.

    U.S.
    Retail.
    Do it.

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elviiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4
    Please can you measure width of Jumbo jim 4.0 on 65mm width rim?
    Someone already tested on 47-8mm width rim?

    thanks

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by elviiis View Post
    Please can you measure width of Jumbo jim 4.0 on 65mm width rim?
    Someone already tested on 47-8mm width rim?

    thanks
    About 100 mm on my nexties 65mm.

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    8/27/14-



    1/3/15-



    2/3/15-


    Not picking on any one of you. Just for my own cathartic relief.

    U.S.
    Retail.
    Do it.
    When they were first announced I thought, "Great the perfect summer tire and they should be readily available for summer 2015." So maybe 2016?
    Latitude 61

  58. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Stupid manufacturers keep buying them all up so they can advertise having a light weight bike. If you compare a Bud/lou equipped bike to a JJ bike you are looking at 1#+ difference.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Stupid manufacturers keep buying them all up so they can advertise having a light weight bike. If you compare a Bud/lou equipped bike to a JJ bike you are looking at 1#+ difference.
    More like 3lbs if you are talking about the 4.0 and 1.8lbs if switching to JJ 4.8!

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Stupid manufacturers keep buying them all up ......
    Welcome to the world of fat bikes!
    Are they selling them full retail to OEM's? Doubtful. We'd buy up so many at retail their head would spin.

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    When they were first announced I thought, "Great the perfect summer tire and they should be readily available for summer 2015." So maybe 2016?
    I consider the JJ, Schwalbe's Dirt Wizard.
    There, I said it.

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    223
    My Moonlander has sat in the basement since the snow melted waiting for JJs since my only 4.8" tires are studded. I'll haul it up in September and so some trail and gravel riding with it. I finally saw the tire in person a few weeks ago at an LBS on a new shipment of fat bikes.

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    169
    I still can't find these anywhere!
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamkeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I still can't find these anywhere!
    I just asked Schwalbe USA. They said at least not until Spring, now. (Nice, quick customer service response, even if the tire is a complete tease.)

    I was sure hoping to be able to get my hands on one before summer ended and the snow started flying. After waiting this long, I suppose it wouldn't be that much more painful to wait until next summer..... IF there was any guarantee that it would happen even then!

    So, hedging my bets in the meantime, what's the best, current alternative recommendation? I was looking specifically at the JJ 4.8, as a fat front to go with a 29+ rear. I basically need:

    - One of the taller offerings available (ideally around 30" diameter or better);

    - A non-gummy compound suitable for summer/dry trail use (unlike many of the V offerings for instance);

    - Tread pattern that isn't overkill or too heavy (like Bud, for instance);

    - That isn't so expensive that you'd only want to use it on snow (like my Dillinger 5s, for instance.)

    Probably a tall order. I don't follow the news regarding every new fat tire like I used to, and thus appreciate any suggestions.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I just asked Schwalbe USA. They said at least not until Spring, now. (Nice, quick customer service response, even if the tire is a complete tease.)

    I was sure hoping to be able to get my hands on one before summer ended and the snow started flying. After waiting this long, I suppose it wouldn't be that much more painful to wait until next summer..... IF there was any guarantee that it would happen even then!

    So, hedging my bets in the meantime, what's the best, current alternative recommendation? I was looking specifically at the JJ 4.8, as a fat front to go with a 29+ rear. I basically need:

    - One of the taller offerings available (ideally around 30" diameter or better);

    - A non-gummy compound suitable for summer/dry trail use (unlike many of the V offerings for instance);

    - Tread pattern that isn't overkill or too heavy (like Bud, for instance);

    - That isn't so expensive that you'd only want to use it on snow (like my Dillinger 5s, for instance.)

    Probably a tall order. I don't follow the news regarding every new fat tire like I used to, and thus appreciate any suggestions.
    I bought a set of Ground Controls because I'm in the same boat. I think they might be a great option for you as well!

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Way2ManyBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    578
    I've been running the 27.5+ with the Panaracer Fat B Nimble and I am truly impressed with them. So much so I haven't mounted my 4.0 Jumbo Jim's because I may buy a set of 4.0 Fat B Nimbles's.




    Marty-mj
    www.garagescene.net www.syborgtwinturbo.com www.2ndcamaro.com
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    377
    Reading this thread makes me feel so lucky!! I didn't realize JJ were that hard to find when I bought them over knard mainly because of weight and price...

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    I've got two sets of 4.0's and would like to trade one set for 4.8's if anyone is interested

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    982
    Don't suppose you can glue them back on after the race. Have fun ozzy! Were rooting for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Feeling a bit sad here... just about to shave the knobs off my 4.8" JJ's for the Simpson Desert Race.

    Thinking centre and mid knobs and a slight shaving of the side ones for a max of 4psi, dropping to 2psi min.

    Its a small price considering the cash out laid for this 3500km round trip, with 1500km of that on the most inhospitable tracks in Australia, including the crazy Simpson Desert and the notorious Birdsville track.

    Man them knobs feel and look good

    Just hoping bike24 come through with the "other" set soon


    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    223
    I saw some Bontrager Barbegazis on a bike at a Trek dealer last week. Haven't seen much info on them yet though. Looked kind of like a JJ but less sparse knob placement.

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamkeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I bought a set of Ground Controls because I'm in the same boat. I think they might be a great option for you as well!
    Possibly a good idea - thanks. You don't happen to know how tall yours ended up being do you? (Just being lazy and not wanting to search a whole other thread for info that might not exist.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I've been running the 27.5+ with the Panaracer Fat B Nimble and I am truly impressed with them. So much so I haven't mounted my 4.0 Jumbo Jim's because I may buy a set of 4.0 Fat B Nimbles's.
    Yes - FBN has been quite good to me too! Unfortunately, as it turns out, its the 29+ version of that tire that I'm using as my rear tire, and which has caused me to need a taller front tire to begin with. So the 4.0 version isn't going to work in my case. Wouldn't it be interesting if Panaracer got a 4.8" version to market before Schwalbe got the JJ out, though? Both would be going after the same lightweight / fast-rolling / reasonably-priced / summer-oriented fat tire market.

    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    I saw some Bontrager Barbegazis on a bike at a Trek dealer last week. Haven't seen much info on them yet though. Looked kind of like a JJ but less sparse knob placement.
    Now THAT is interesting! Hadn't heard of this one yet, and you're right it is sort of similar to the JJ tread. Height looks pretty good at just over 30", too. What's equally interesting is the 650b+++ version, that is the same exact height. That could make for a pretty interesting "semi-fat" front setup!:

    Jumbo Jim-barbegazicomparo.jpg
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

  72. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    463
    My bet is they will work good on dry snow. Like Interior Alaskan winter snow.
    Probably not as well in snowball snow.
    For those that don't know. Unless its a may or summer snow. We can never make a snowball in interior Ak.
    Sometimes, compressing but not tearing the snow gives the best traction.

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamkeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    My bet is they will work good on dry snow. Like Interior Alaskan winter snow.
    Probably not as well in snowball snow.
    For those that don't know. Unless its a may or summer snow. We can never make a snowball in interior Ak.
    Sometimes, compressing but not tearing the snow gives the best traction.
    You're right. We're sort of similar here in Wyoming: High, dry, alpine desert that gets the vast majority of it's precipitation as snow during sub-zero (F) temps. Heck, almost any tread works fine here, most of the time.

    I didn't mean to suggest that the JJ might not be suitable for winter use, as much as I meant that most other options are not as suitable for summer use. Manufacturers seem to be obsessed with (and competing with us consumers for) the JJ strictly because of its light weight. To me, the real appeal is the more sparse, non-overkill tread which is more than enough for summer trails. The weight is really sort of a happy result of that fact, but a pretty secondary consideration in the real world.

    Since Big Fat Larry debuted, there really haven't been that many similar options. And now that people are discovering 29+ as the superior summer tire platform, I worry that there might not be as much energy devoted to this area, too. I guess the nice thing about the big guys like Schwalbe, Panaracer and, to a lesser extent, Bontreker getting into the market is that, once they invest in a tire, its likely to remain available for a LONG time - so we can rely on its availability. Once its actually available, that is.

    On that note, the Barbegazi was supposed to be available in August. It's September now. Here we go again....
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I just asked Schwalbe USA. They said at least not until Spring, now.

    So, hedging my bets in the meantime, what's the best, current alternative recommendation?
    Damn!
    Knard 4.8" ?

  75. #375
    frl
    frl is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    75
    First ride on very wet condition with ls 4.8". I had 4.2 psi in the JJ. Some places the trail was like a little river with lots of stones. I thought they will be slippery. They worked well. My weight is 65 kg. No problem with low pressure.

  76. #376
    ...big and slow
    Reputation: Chromehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Damn!
    Knard 4.8" ?
    I gave up and went with a Knard 3.8. Very happy with it.
    Chromey

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Has anyone here installed a 4.0 JJ on 100mm rims? I am interested to see the 4.0 JJ tire width and shape on 100mm rims. Thanks.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elviiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    About 100 mm on my nexties 65mm.

    Thanks


    I have plan to use mavrick duc32 with jumbo jim. My first plan is use them with surly merge lite but if width is cca 100mm than I must use 50mm trial rim. As realy last option is extend DUC for fit wider tyre. Also one of plan is use bontrager hodag but this not available in Czech Republic.
    Friki FatFoot wooden fat beast

    Make frame from wood, titanium, carbon, steel and alu.

    www.resilientbikes.com

  79. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    368
    Just picked up some 4.0 liteskins, felt double double take offs, and holy chit are they light. Going to mount them up tubeless to my nextie 65's this weekend and report back. I don't have a scale to weigh them, just going off feel at this point.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    Just picked up some 4.0 liteskins, felt double double take offs, and holy chit are they light. Going to mount them up tubeless to my nextie 65's this weekend and report back. I don't have a scale to weigh them, just going off feel at this point.
    I weighed one of the 4.0 lite skins that are on my Bucksaw and it was right at the advertised weight of 990gr.

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I weighed one of the 4.0 lite skins that are on my Bucksaw and it was right at the advertised weight of 990gr.
    Mine are both 1050 grams

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottspark60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    83
    Thanks guys for posting the actual weights of the JJ 4.0 liteskin. Any leads as to where is it available for purchase? Thanks.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post
    Thanks guys for posting the actual weights of the JJ 4.0 liteskin. Any leads as to where is it available for purchase? Thanks.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Get lucky on eBay, or find somebody on the trail with the tires specced as new and offer them a different set of tires plus cash in trade. Saw somebody taking it easy on the trails on a Felt a few months back - obv not a serious rider, probably could have had her JJs for $200 plus tires in trade if I swapped the tires out for her.

    I called a LBS and asked about buying JJs off one of their floor models, but they wouldn't do it. Maybe different bike shops would have a different attitude, not sure.

    So yeah, eBay is probably your best bet. It's where I got by liteskins and snakeskins.

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Angry Catfish Bicycle shop, Minneapolis had a few pairs of JJ liteskin 4.8's in stock yesterday (@ MSRP) but I think they are local sales only.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Angry Catfish Bicycle shop, Minneapolis had a few pairs of JJ liteskin 4.8's in stock yesterday (@ MSRP) but I think they are local sales only.
    I just called and they said they only have the 4.0's.

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    They had at least four of the 4.8's last night @700. They were underneath one of the clothing tables and not with the regular tire display. I thought they were 4.0's at first as I got a pair of 4.0's from them last week, but they definitely said 4.8 right near the tread. I was surprised as this was the first time I had seen one in person. I almost bought a pair for my Fatboy, but my GC's are only about half worn. And they were ~$126

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    They had at least four of the 4.8's last night @700. They were underneath one of the clothing tables and not with the regular tire display. I thought they were 4.0's at first as I got a pair of 4.0's from them last week, but they definitely said 4.8 right near the tread. I was surprised as this was the first time I had seen one in person. I almost bought a pair for my Fatboy, but my GC's are only about half worn. And they were ~$126
    You were right! I called back and they found them, but they were spoken for. Thanks for the heads up!

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    You were right! I called back and they found them, but they were spoken for. Thanks for the heads up!
    I knew I wasn't going crazy..... yet
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I almost bought a pair for my Fatboy, but my GC's are only about half worn. And they were ~$126
    How much does a new pair of GC's go for?

  90. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    I think they are $129 now- last year they were $169 but they appear to have dropped the MSRP.

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I think they are $129 now- last year they were $169 but they appear to have dropped the MSRP.
    Awesome, thanks! I'm going to sell some new GC's and wait for the 4.8's. Hopefully they fit!

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    477
    Does anyone have any info on a UK or even European source for some 4.0 liteskins yet please ?



    Fat Biker

  93. #393
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Does anyone have any info on a UK or even European source for some 4.0 liteskins yet please ?



    Fat Biker
    A lot, lol, if you have another year. Mine are in backorder since october 2014.

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    87
    Bought a pair of 4.0 liteskins from Angry Catfish. Will replace my knard 3.8s. Should drop about a pound from the bike. Woot woot.

  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    246
    I have a pair of liteskins laying here,used about 10 km.

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    I have a pair of liteskins laying here,used about 10 km.
    PM'd you Mortenste


    Fat Biker

    P.S. Do you still run the Juggernaut Pro's ? If so , which is lighter JJ or JP please ? And what was the reason for your switch ?

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    246
    Jp is about 240 grams lighter each.the reason for the switch was weight.

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Way2ManyBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Bought a pair of 4.0 liteskins from Angry Catfish. Will replace my knard 3.8s. Should drop about a pound from the bike. Woot woot.
    Your going to be amazed how much better they are then the knards. I absolutely despised that tire especially on the front of my bike.


    Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    368
    I've had a few rides in on mine now and one race. Overall I like the tire. Only compliant I have would be braking traction and that is probably more the rider than the tire. I have not had them in the mud really so can't comment on that. They roll as good or better then the mammoths I was running and are noticeably easier to spin up to speed. Cornering and climbing traction are very good. The trails around me vary from sandy to gravel, and hard pack with some roots and rocks mixed in. Once the snow flies I'll be back on Bud and Lou.

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    Jp is about 240 grams lighter each.the reason for the switch was weight.

    Where did you get the Juggernaut Pro's from out of curiosity please Mortenste ?


    Fat Biker

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tire?
    By scubaklook in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 09:32 PM
  2. Jumbo bottle cages out there besides the "Anything Cage"?
    By Gyro_t in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-25-2016, 11:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •