Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jammin' Econo

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes

I know there have been various posts about putting a Jones Bar on this or that model of fat bikes, but a search didn't turn up a specific thread dedicated to the topic, so here it is. Please post pics of your fattie set up with Jones (and/or similar designs), and your thoughts on if/how it has changed the handling of the bike, etc. Likes/dislikes? I'm thinking of putting one on my Blackborow...
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    I have Jones bars on all of my fatties.

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-9zero7-finished.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-moonlander1.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-el-gordo-3.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-pic-c.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-moonlander.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-jones-fe.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-jones-ti.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I know there have been various posts about putting a Jones Bar on this or that model of fat bikes, but a search didn't turn up a specific thread dedicated to the topic, so here it is. Please post pics of your fattie set up with Jones (and/or similar designs), and your thoughts on if/how it has changed the handling of the bike, etc. Likes/dislikes? I'm thinking of putting one on my Blackborow...
    I opted to get the Metropolis bars with a 45 degree sweep. I haver them on 2 of my bikes and they're rock solid.

Amazon.com : FSA Metropolis Handlebar, 31.8 X 620mm, Silver : Flat Bike Handlebars : Sports & Outdoors
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

beer thief
    I had a set of his original ti H-bars on my old Pugsley but have since gone to Answer 20/20 carbon bars on my modern bikes. Warmer in winter and the sweep is just right for me. I should sell that Jones ti bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-pugs-pale-ale-1-11-13-medium-.jpg  

Jones bar works well on bikes with a longer TT (for me). My Blackborow would not be a good candidate for this.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've never used one, so admitted ignorance here.... but I just don't get it. What is the supposed advantage to these bars? Looks to me like you'd be sitting straight up like a circus bear most of the time, with your hands way too close to your knees when you stood up.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Never ridden mine with anything but Jones bars - position was right-on from the off from twisty singletrack to more than 20 hours in the saddle. Keeps the hands and wrists in a nice, non-stressed position.

Jammin' Econo
    Thanks for all the info and pics, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Jones bar works well on bikes with a longer TT (for me). My Blackborow would not be a good candidate for this.
    Wondering about this too, and whether I would need to invest in a longer stem as well in order to get the ergos proper. I went by my LBS today, and they had one that I held up against my current bar (Salsa Salt Flat 2 - 11Ί). Looks like its at least worth giving it a try with the 70mm stem I have on there now.

In the end, I'm thinking it could be a nice seasonal option for winter riding, commuting, etc. Might stick with the existing bar for summer singletrack.

How many folks have found they needed to go to a longer stem when adapting from a flat bar to a Jones?
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 08-26-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-img_2394.jpg
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    That is one sweet ride, sir.

And Tripower - your collection is seriously impressive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I've never used one, so admitted ignorance here.... but I just don't get it. What is the supposed advantage to these bars? Looks to me like you'd be sitting straight up like a circus bear most of the time, with your hands way too close to your knees when you stood up.
    Not too sure about the Jones Bars, the sweep does appear shrink the cockpit area.

My Carver My-Ti bars sweep forward and then back so they won't change the hand position/cockpit length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post

Never ridden mine with anything but Jones bars - position was right-on from the off from twisty singletrack to more than 20 hours in the saddle. Keeps the hands and wrists in a nice, non-stressed position.
    Totally cool. The Jones Loop Bar also allow for the easy access bag and addition space for accessories like lights.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got the Jones bars for versatility. It's hard to tell from the angle but the cup holder is inside the loop.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^Moto fenders? that's way cool.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

with your hands way too close to your knees when you stood up.
    This was my biggest complaint. I was running it on my singlespeed (Jones, actually) and when standing and climbing, I usually have my hands at the widest part of the bar for leverage. But it put my hands at an awkward spot. For sit-n-spin, they were great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For me an alternative bend bar gets my elbows closer in to my sides to a more comfortable position. (left shoulder issues) Also increased sweep puts wrists in more of a neutral/natural alignment with forearm. (right wrist/thumb issues)

May need to adjust your bike fitting, as a whole, to utilize one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've got Mary's on my fat bike, and even with crappy grips my hands are much more comfortable than they were on typical risers. My hands used to go numb on long rides, and the sweep of the Mary's seems to have fixed that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ^^Moto fenders? that's way cool.
    Ya, can't beat the price. It was $40 for more than two full sets of fenders. I got extra in case I messed up or ever got another fatbike that needed fenders.

mtbr member
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

^^^ Titec H-bar on my Pugs

My Titec H-Bar review: https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2...-h-bar-update/

My review of the Loop Bars: https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2...-h-bar-review/

^^^ Jones Loop Bar on the same Pugs

Coles Notes Version:

- great for touring and casual riding
    - didn't love them for techy MTBing compared to a standard rider bar
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm not sure If I'd like one of these. I really want to test ride one,though. I'm looking for something with more sweep than my 17 degree Salsa Bend 2 bar....maybe the 23 degree Bend 2.
    I thought I caught a glimpse online of a new bar with a 40 degree sweep that Bontrager is coming out with, but I can't find the link now. It looked pretty sweet!

mtbr member
    on one has a bar.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the Jones Loop bars on my Salsa Blackborow.

Very comfortable and they allow a more upright riding position which I need to preserve my failing neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-jonesbar.jpg  

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-jonesbar2.jpg  

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-jonesbar3.jpg  

Jammin' Econo
    Singletkr - thanks for the pics. It's good to see one on a Blackborow, since that's the bike I would be putting it on. Did you (or anyone else) find that they needed to use a longer stem when going from a straight bar to the Jones?

mtbr member
    I'm filling this thread closely. I don't have anything to add yet, but I'm thinking about putting them on my Cogburn and my wife's Boris. At $129 plus shipping each. I want to have all the info I can before springing for them.
    I have to say, all the pics are awesome and the Blackborrow with the Dillinger 5s is really awesome . !

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    They certainly do look cool! I'm hoping that someone with these H-bars shows up at the NW Fat Bike meet on the Long Beach Peninsula on the weekend of 9/19, and lets me try out how they actually feel when riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Singletkr - thanks for the pics. It's good to see one on a Blackborow, since that's the bike I would be putting it on. Did you (or anyone else) find that they needed to use a longer stem when going from a straight bar to the Jones?
    Stock stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    2011 Muk, 2014 Pug, 2015 BB, all bars replaced with Jones bar for better wrist positioning. Last week did custom fit with LBS and replaced BB stock stem with 16 degree 138mm stem. Cockpit went from scrunched to perfect, especially nice for standing while climbing. Now I'm ready for my first century on lame-ass dirt roads.

mtbr member
    here is a bar bag made to fit the Jones bar.

Jones Banana Hammock - BarFly Bags
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have used a Wald #8095 which bears an uncanny resemblance to the Jones Bend H-Bar, angle of bars similar at around 45 degrees. I moved on to Pyramid North Road bars which have a 70 degree bend which I find better than 45. I run the Wald and the Pyramid upside down. The Wald and Pryamid are super bargains, are steel, and have a durable and attractive chrome finish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robert.jones View Post
    Last week did custom fit with LBS and replaced BB stock stem with 16 degree 138mm stem.
    Got any details / specifics / links on that stem?
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Loop bar on my, soon to be retired, Krampus for 2000 miles of Southwest touring. Always felt great. I'm tall and roadie conditioned, so I need somewhat of a saddle to bar drop to be feeling right, even on a bikepacking style bike. This puts more weight on my hands but the 45 degree Loop bars with Ergons always were perfect.

Untitled by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Recently switched, or some would say: retrograded to a Pugsley and are trying the non-Loop Loop bars on that bike. They are the newer, wider ones and I actually had to cut an inch or so off. Probably due to the shorter TT on the Pugs. I really like these bars too:

image by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice, another yellow Pugs with what looks like a Revelate frame bag.

Jammin' Econo
    Combining a Jones Bar with Ergons seems downright decadent.

This thread is convincing me that it will be my next bar, once I scrap the cabbage together...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Love mine. Especially great on longer rides. I utilize at least 4 different hand positions regularly. Worried at first about singletrack but have grown to enjoy it. Allows me to shift my weight around a bit more than a standard bar.

No complaints at all.

mtbr member
    Jones bars and ergons are amazing. I have a wrist bone spur and busted up shoulder. Totally the way to go.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-pug.jpg

I have been riding my pug like this for 8 yrs now, mostly on Olympic Peninsula beaches.

I just weighed the wheels, holy cow, 16.5# (endos plus large marges, probably the big hit ones). Is there any hope to get those meaningfully lighter? (ok a little google suggests I could save ~600g swapping marges for marge lites and another 600 swapping the endos for larrys? So take 3# off?)

mtbr member
    I've recently put a longer stem on which had made it much more comfortable

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Do u have a pic of your set up. ?

Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    I have been riding my pug like this for 8 yrs now, mostly on Olympic Peninsula beaches.

I just weighed the wheels, holy cow, 16.5# (endos plus large marges, probably the big hit ones). Is there any hope to get those meaningfully lighter? (ok a little google suggests I could save ~600g swapping marges for marge lites and another 600 swapping the endos for larrys? So take 3# off?)
    I would leave those cool Large Marge rims on there. Swap to a lighter tire, like Jumbo Jim's. By the way, Endo's aren't 600g (or 300g/tire) lighter than a Larry. They're about the same weight, if I remember right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pug.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	1013340

I did the best I could to get my current Pugs wheels acceptably light. Marge Lite rims, DT 350 rear hub, Surly SS front hub, DT butted Comp spokes, aluminum nipples, split tube tubeless, 3.8 Knards, XT skewers.

Weighed with an XT 10 speed cassette, 160 mm SLX rotors and a single speed 20t freewheel cog on the front wheel, they still weigh 14 lbs.

mtbr member
    May I ask a question borne out of my.own ignorance. ??
    What is the big deal with getting everything as light as possible. ?????
    Does it make any real world difference. ?
    Seems to me that bombing around off road, strength would be the bike criteria to pursue.
    But, I must b missing something .

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    To each their own. Just helping another member with some advice.

mtbr member
    No, like I say, I do not know. So I asked,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Seems to me that bombing around off road, strength would be the bike criteria to pursue.
    Next winter when you are pushing it up a steep icy snowmachine trail, then you will know. Seriously though strength is important but a bunch of extra strength is just not needed. The trick is finding the balance of strength to weight that works for you.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes

I've been told by multiple people that if I unloaded my bike or jumped on a different bike I would likely be a lot faster....... Than the majority of the riders with...But I kinda like being the guy who has what's needed....
    Training or not I'm sold on the bikes and the jones bars

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    I did the best I could to get my current Pugs wheels acceptably light. Marge Lite rims, DT 350 rear hub, Surly SS front hub, DT butted Comp spokes, aluminum nipples, split tube tubeless, 3.8 Knards, XT skewers.

Weighed with an XT 10 speed cassette, 160 mm SLX rotors and a single speed 20t freewheel cog on the front wheel, they still weigh 14 lbs.
    Message received!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I would leave those cool Large Marge rims on there. Swap to a lighter tire, like Jumbo Jim's. By the way, Endo's aren't 600g (or 300g/tire) lighter than a Larry. They're about the same weight, if I remember right.
    I looked at some website that referred to 'ultralite' larry as in the 1100g range and original endos in the 1600g range but I don't know what kind of data they based that on. In practice, I need some gear for my winter commuter and I'm not going to get anything for the pug this month I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    If you were racing or doing long endurance type events, it would pay off to go light. For 99% of those that do sub-50 milers, I wouldn't waste money, personally. Stock stuff, minus the cruddy Shimano hubs Surly uses, seem to be good enough. Shimano actually seems to be ok, but that locknut keeps coming loose on virtually every Shimano hub I've had.

mtbr member
    On my Jones Plus, I love them. I have them set up with the cork Ergons.

Didn't take to them as much on my Krampus or my Yampa. I experimented with various stem lengths to no avail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast