Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    If you were racing or doing long endurance type events, it would pay off to go light. For 99% of those that do sub-50 milers, I wouldn't waste money, personally. Stock stuff, minus the cruddy Shimano hubs Surly uses, seem to be good enough. Shimano actually seems to be ok, but that locknut keeps coming loose on virtually every Shimano hub I've had.

OK. Thank You! As I don't compete or want to catch air , but do want to b able to pack a lot of weight on my bike and trailer I've wondered about this light weight stuff. I wish someone would make a 26Χ6" cargo bike.

Jammin' Econo
    Took the plunge today, and then took it out for a climb up my favorite local singletrack, and then a bomber run back down. Conceptually, I could immediately see the various advantages to the Jones Bar for winter riding, commuting, etc. But how it would feel for more technical summer riding was what I wasn't totally convinced of. Today's ride put all that to rest - it felt really comfortable while climbing and I didn't feel any loss of precision in steering or leverage while descending at the same speeds I used to descend this trail with a flat bar.

In short, I was really suprised by how great these bars felt, and it really didn't take much to get used to them at all. They feel like a natural fit on my Blackborow, and I'm fully sold. The next test will be an overnighter this weekend, but it won't really be a test at all, because I can already tell that I'm going to love them for longer rides. If you're wondering, I'd highly recommend trying them.

Last edited by Smithhammer; 09-17-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Looks great!! Are they the 710 mm size. ?

Jammin' Econo
    Yep - 710mm. The flat bar I had on there before was 750mm.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Do any of the different models fit pogies? Specifically Cobrafist's?
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    I have bar mitts fire mine but most of the time it's not cold enough to use them......

Sent from magic wish granting phone

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    Do any of the different models fit pogies? Specifically Cobrafist's?
    Not sure about the Cobrafists, but Bar Fly Bags makes a Jones-specific pogie.

mtbr member
    Well, after reading through this thread, and finding a great deal on a set of the aluminum loop 710 bars, I made the switch. I already had the BioKork Ergons, which were awesome on my stock 760mm bars on the Wo. Thought I may have to switch back to the stock 70mm stem instead of my 45mm, which I love the handling change that made, but in the end, even with the 45mm stem, the Jones bars just work. More convenient is the fact that I can now mount my lights front and center, instead of off to the side of my phone/tool stem mount bag. Still playing with adjustments to the Ergons and shift/brake levers, which will only really shake out with some more riding, but on a quick pavement/gravel 3 miler, things felt pretty good so far.

Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-2015-09-17-13.31.38.jpg

SVO
    mtbr member
    Old thread. Anyone else dislike the Jones bars standing? They are great for a relatively upright seated position- angle of wrists matches bar perfectly- but stand up and now your hands ore far too close to thighs. Especially if standing to clear some techy stuff I find the balance off. I have tried various stem lengths and cannot find a reach that is happy both seated and standing with wrists neutral seated.

mtbr member
    I stand all the time with them on my Plus SS and enjoy the position. I'm using the 710 Jones Bends with Ergons.

mtbr member
    Thanks seabass, bout to pull the trigger on a PLUS frameset and it was a concern I had as well. Current bike is similar to prior post, good to know the PLUS is different. Wanting to go ss as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SVO View Post
    Old thread. Anyone else dislike the Jones bars standing? They are great for a relatively upright seated position- angle of wrists matches bar perfectly- but stand up and now your hands ore far too close to thighs. Especially if standing to clear some techy stuff I find the balance off. I have tried various stem lengths and cannot find a reach that is happy both seated and standing with wrists neutral seated.
    After having a set of H-bars on the Fargo and 710 Loops on the ECR.. I agree that standing and cranking can feel a little strange.

Don't forget to try different bar tilt angles and stack heights (raise and lower) with the Jones loop. It can take a lot of trial and error to get it where you like it.

I like the Loop 710 for what it is. It works very well on commuter / gravel type bikes for me. For real trail riding I prefer much wider bars.

I would like to see a Jones Loop 760mm with between 30 to 40 degrees of sweep.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Human Test Subject
    A lot of people run the front too high. I have mine tilted up slightly and climbing is fine.

What Bubba said about trial and error.

mtbr member
    i have jones bars on a few bikes. i tend to run the bar clamp at ~1cm below saddle top height more or less and then use an angle finder - place this along the grip section and angle this at 12 degrees. everyone seems to have an ideal, and once you do, its worth noting for future reference as i for one am very sensitive to the bar angle. HTH

SVO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I stand all the time with them on my Plus SS and enjoy the position. I'm using the 710 Jones Bends with Ergons.
    So are you on the ergons when you stand? I use a flat 9 degree bar with ergons on one bike. That creates a forward hand position that makes it balanced. But they must really kind of stick out on the Jones bar, no? Hook branches? Got a pic of that setup?- thanks!

turtles make me hot
    Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-img_0189.jpgJones Bars and Fat Bikes-hbar.jpg

I had H Bars on my bike but in an effort to lighten it a little I switched over to the other Jones bars. The loops are on my beach bike now.
    Love the hand position.
    I like turtles

SVO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	1120541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hbar.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	1120542

I had H Bars on my bike but in an effort to lighten it a little I switched over to the other Jones bars. The loops are on my beach bike now.
    Love the hand position.
    Thanks. I was confused- thinking barends rather than grips alone. Dig the barends while standing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Jones carbon on 2016 Mukluk, had 3 broken bones in hand and have a reoccurring ganglion cyst in my wrist. Jones allows me to get 50+ mile rides on the weekends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-img_9988.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just ordered the Soma Clarence bars to give a try. They are a bit narrower at 660mm and a sweep of 40 degrees. Tree Fort has them for $42, so what the heck. I do not do serious jumps so I expect they should hold up. The bars are 40mm narrower than my Salsa Salt Flat 3 bars, so we shall see if that is much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Jones Bars and Fat Bikes-img_1493.jpg

mtbr member
    Glad I found this thread. I've just gotten back into riding (in the last 45 days). I notice after I've ridden for a while, my wrists start to bother me to the point that I have to rest the base of my palms up on top of the bar (only possible for sit & spin on tame surfaces).

I'm really torn between the Origin8 Batwing (660mm) and the Jones loop (660mm or 710mm). Aside from the awesome price ($36) on the Batwing compared to the Jones aluminum loop ($110+grips), I am concerned about the full 45-deg on the Jones, vs. the softer 25-deg turnback on the Batwing.

I'm entered into a 40K race, 30 days from today ...and I'm pretty sure my wrists are gonna play hell for that long of a ride. I think my Growler MBS has a 70mm stem on it, but I have a 100mm stem I took off the wife's bike I can use, if need be.

Opinions?
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

turtles make me hot
    I had a broken right forearm years ago with a piss poor repair. Because my right wrist is funky, long rides with straight bars hurt me as well.
    I went to Jones bars on my rigid fat bike and they were 95% the cure. I added Wolftooth foam grips and that pretty much clinched it.
    I put Salsa Bend 2 bars on my FS bike. They work ok on that bike since it has suspension. On the rigid bike, the Jones are the way to go for me.
    I was running an 80mm stem with the straight bars and I'm running it with the Jones bars. Gotta see what works for you.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

No broken arm bones for me, but definitely painful wrist fatigue...

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I had a broken right forearm years ago with a piss poor repair. Because my right wrist is funky, long rides with straight bars hurt me as well.
    I went to Jones bars on my rigid fat bike and they were 95% the cure. I added Wolftooth foam grips and that pretty much clinched it.
    I put Salsa Bend 2 bars on my FS bike. They work ok on that bike since it has suspension. On the rigid bike, the Jones are the way to go for me.
    I was running an 80mm stem with the straight bars and I'm running it with the Jones bars. Gotta see what works for you.
    NYrr496,

Thank you for the feedback. I think I'm pretty resolved at this point that I need some sort of "pull-back" bars. I think the Jone's H-bar loop would be a slamdunk for me, but it seems I keep adding weight to this bugger (different / heavier saddle too) and I'll be going from some pretty lightweight FSA carbon bars to the Origin8 batwing or Jones. It's only about 0.5-0.75# more, but notable.

If I saw any bikepacking in my future, I'd definitely get the Jones. But when I head into the sticks, I take my pop-up camper with me and use it as a base for riding. No real need for me to overnight with the bike only. Anyway....I'll pull the trigger on something, I think I might start with the Origin8's and see what they do for me. If it's not enough, my boy or wife would probably like them on their bikes.

Thanks again!
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12