Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Issues With Disc Brakes in the Snow

3 years into fat biking, and we're finally getting some snow this winter. I've been noticing that my disc brakes suck in the snow. They honk like a flock of geese and stopping power is poor. Been running Sram X0 with sintered pads and Hope Race X2 with whatever the standard pads are.

I'm gonna guess it has to do with them getting wet. (Duh!) Anyone have any suggestions? Different pad compound or rotors, maybe?

Both brakes work well in dry conditions, but the Sram brakes were horrible until I switched to sintered pads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Try a bike with rim brakes in the snow then go back to your discs. They will feel much better!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I have new sintered pads on new ashima rotors avid bb7 brakes , same issue except the geese were calling back ,, believe it or not , i think my problems is i haven't properly broken in the pads,, there isn't enough pad material on my rotors. There is a break in set up some where , i read it the other day.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

Organic pads won't scream but they wear super fast. I've heard the Ashima rotors help to eliminate noise. I have them on my summer 29er but not on my fatty, so can't speak from experience on that. Can't have organic pads with the Ashima rotors though.

Loser
    There's something about the cold and disc brakes. I've had mine glaze up several times, it seems to be immediately after they get wet. They howl so bad! Both times I cleaned the disc and sanded the pads a little, problem solved.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Elitest thrill junkie
    idk, but I notice problems seem to magnify with the slightest bit of salt in the environment, that and they are avid brakes, so they already suck.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    SmoovP, I am pretty sure that squeal is part of winter no matter what your gear. I am a big believer in Shimano XT brakes based on my great experience with them on my summer bike. In summer conditions(El Mariachi ti) these brakes are bomb-proof: silent, strong, durable, consistent. However, I also have XT brakes on my winter bike (Muk Ti) and they do squeal, they are not as consistent, and they do not grab quite as strongly as they do on my summer bike. I live in Montana (not sure where you're at) so I'm dealing with moderately cold temps and not extremely deep snow. I reckon that harsher conditions would exacerbate their problems.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Instead of laying your bike down in the snow, lean it against something. Try to keep snow off of the rotor whenever possible. Work your brakes some periodically. Even then, they will make noise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I swapped out my X0 brakes for Hope V4 calipers to get more stopping power for my Beargrease. Also upped the rotors from 160mm to 180mm. I have done three rides with the Hopes between -10C and -16C temps and only time I heard squealing was when I had warmed the brakes going downhill and then done some flat snow after which a one hellish howl was released before I got brake temps up again.

My experience biking for five winters in southern Finland has given me the knowledge that pretty much all breaks squeal if the rotors/pads get wet and icy. I've had several Avids and Shimano XTR + Saint and now Hopes.

Easy fix is to lightly drag the brakes before the actual need for them so that they get warm and bite better. Also the squeal problem will disappear when the rotors warm up.
    Downside is that once the rotors warm up any snow you hit will melt and because the rotors are meant to be heatsinks they will cool down fast and get icy quickly afterwards.
    Thus needing a new round of light dragging to clear the ice and build heat to work well.

Hard compound metallic pads tend to grip better than soft ones but they have their own noise associated to them.

One extreme case I had during last weeks fatbike ride was a complete loss of rear brake for about two minutes after crossing an ice covered puddle where the rear tire went through the ice. The rear brake got splashed heavily, but I didn't stop and kept slugging through to dry ground. The next turn where I needed some brakes the rear gave me nothing. The X0 was frozen over and biting nothing. Luckily I was exploring flat twisty forest section and front brake sufficed and after dragging the rear brake for some time it also came back. Temperature was -10C when the X0 froze.

Basic maintenance before winter season is probably the best thing you can do to your brakes. Cleaning and lubing pistons with brake fluid and making sure everything works smooth. Then its only a matter of using the brakes often to prevent ice buildup.

The worst brake during winter use for me has been the XTR 975 series brakes. Rear brake needed cleaning and bleeding every two weeks of commuting and I soon took them off the bike. Old Elixir 5's have been doing great for my winter use as replacements on the commuter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks. Sounds like there's no magic pill for this condition. I was hoping I could throw some money at it and make it go away.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I've been running Avid/Sram brakes for years and learned to never use their brake pads. Current set up on my Beargrease XX1, stock XX brakes with Clarks 160mm rotors and Jagwire extreme blue pads. No noise and good stopping power. Out last night in -15c temps and they worked flawless.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Meh .. I'll deal with the noise as long as the brakes work as they should. Right now, if only I could hear honking brakes. I am healing from getting slammed down on a black iced covered asphalt parking lot 9 days ago riding my Pugs to meet up with two friends for a ride .. fractured my pelvis. Good thing I had mounted a OMM rear rack on the bike the night before, because it protected the bike from damage.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'm with Jayem, and yes, you can throw money at it to make it go away.

Salt of any kind will make them squeal like mad. So consider where and how the bike gets to the trail.

And yes, Avid brakes suck, get some Shimano's, heck, even the SLX's are great, and then some softer pads, as the metallics will still make a bit of noise when wet, but nowhere near as bad as the Avids.....

And for kris7047th, man, that sucks. Had a buddy a couple years ago do the same thing, broke the head of his femur off, ow ow ow owwwwwwwww! Heal well.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    BB7's with stock pads and rotors here. No issues. Yea, they can make a bit of noise when they get wet, but I've never experienced a loss in braking power. And normally the noise goes away on the next downhillish section.

Same thing, no matter riding snowy singletrack and stream crossings to commuting.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Salt of any kind will make them squeal like mad. So consider where and how the bike gets to the trail.
    So true. Last winter I swapped out the stock BB7 pads on my Pugs with Kool Stop organic pads. Silent bliss with stock rotors. This winter I had a few rides where they screamed like mad. Then, I hauled my bike inside my Mountaineer to the trail after it got a bath. Quiet again. Previous rides had it on the hitch rack getting hauled through road salt. Never doing that again.

But, big +1 for the Kool Stop organic pads. They seem to be wearing pretty well too.

mtbr member
    I'm with Jayem, and yes, you can throw money at it to make it go away.

And yes, Avid brakes suck, get some Shimano's, heck, even the SLX's are great, and then some softer pads, as the metallics will still make a bit of noise when wet, but nowhere near as bad as the Avids.....

And for kris7047th, man, that sucks. Had a buddy a couple years ago do the same thing, broke the head of his femur off, ow ow ow owwwwwwwww! Heal well.
    Thanks .. Not my first rodeo with a fracture. I have had MANY fractures and this is the second time I broke that same bone .. the donut shaped bone in the pelvis. The doctor thinks the old fracture from 1989 might have given way. I am more fortunate that I didn't fracture my hip. I just hope this heals quickly so I can still get some winter riding in with friends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Meh .. I'll deal with the noise as long as the brakes work as they should. Right now, if only I could hear honking brakes. I am healing from getting slammed down on a black iced covered asphalt parking lot 9 days ago riding my Pugs to meet up with two friends for a ride .. fractured my pelvis. Good thing I had mounted a OMM rear rack on the bike the night before, because it protected the bike from damage.
    Ouch. Heal up soon!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thanks. Not dealing with salt in my case. I had a helluva time with my Avids when they were new. The typical issues - shuddering, noise, lousy performance, even in dry conditions. But switching to sintered pads and breaking them in properly cured all of that, and they've been working well for 2 years. I do like some things about them. The adjustable pad contact point, and they play well with Gripshifters on the bar. I had a brand new set of Hopes in the bin, so I threw the front set on to compare. Does anyone know what the stock Hope pad compound is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Try a bike with rim brakes in the snow then go back to your discs. They will feel much better!
    I'm gonna try that, but note that my only MTB with rim brakes is state-of-the-art circa mid-90's - Mavic ceramic rims + Shimano ceramic compatible brake shoes. So they might work pretty well!

Nemophilist
    No solutuions work, so far;

Both Hayes Nines and Stroker Trails. It is very strange that the Stokers howl like the devil but the Nines do not, nearly. Stock pads howl. I tried organic on the Stokers. Howl like the devil. Different rotors don't help. Dragging the brakes does not work. I cannot stop it. Yes, my brakes get wet. I do not ride groomed trails (no such thing) and I go through creeks. Clean & scuff and once you howl them again, they glaze immediately and you are done. THERE IS NO SOLUTION, AND I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try chamfering the leading edge of the pads.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Drum brakes, and you won't have that problem.

You also won't get that annoying drag from the brakes when they get a bit dirty on a ride.

Oh, and if you do any sort of reasonable mileage, you'll pay for the drum brakes in 3 or 4 pad changes.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hope v4 with floating 203's,on a moonlander,never heard them cry

NMBP
    My Shimano XT's are very quiet on my Moonlander, unless I'm riding in falling wet snow, then all bets are off.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We rode with a guy at the Uberwintern festival last year from NH who claimed that Jagwire Extreme Pro pads never squeaked. I didn't even know Jagwire made pads! Anyhow, that ride was on a particularly sloppy day when EVERYONE's brakes were singing away and, I gotta say, his weren't. Maybe he was right? I have yet to experiment but am just about to build up a new fatbike with fresh brakes. I plan to try the pads out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast