mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Issue with fork on mukluk

So I bought a new aluminum mukluk and I've been enjoying it. Problem is , last ride -Sunday - I noticed there is a little bit of play front to back with my carbon fork to frame fit. It's not sliding up and down in the frame, just front to back if that makes sense. So I'm bringing to the shop I bought it at tomorrow. I'm not a mechanic, would this be a bearing? Or the fork not tightened down in the frame? Big deal? No big deal?

Thanks

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Big deal on a carbon fork. The stem/headset is loose.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    i hope you didnt ride it like that and if it has alloy steerer you most likely would be fine
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Could just be a loose/poorly adjusted headset, hard to tell without looking at it. Shop should get to the bottom of it pretty easily, but make sure to find out if a carbon steerer or not -> if carbon, a more in depth tear down/assessment is warranted.

My bet is that they owe you an apology for not doing a thorough job w/bearings before sending it on its way.

Once sorted -> enjoy your new bike! It's a really nice ride.

Good luck,
    Paul

mtbr member
    my guess is the headset is not preloaded enough before stem was snugged
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Issue with fork on mukluk

It has an alloy Steerer tube, and yes I rode it unknowingly. I also put a new stem on it, but that should have nothing to do with the fork being loose in the frame, correct?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    I also put a new stem on it,....
    This may be the problem. If your stem has a different dimension where it sits on the steer tube, (from the bottom where it sits on the head set to the top where the head set pre-load cap is) that could cause a loose condition on your head set. If the new stem is not taking up as much room on the steer tube as the original, the pre-load cap can bottom out on the steer tube.

Worth checking by simply removing the pre-load cap and inspecting. The steer tube should be a couple of millimeters shorter than the top of the stem, otherwise it won't adjust up right. Maybe this is the issue.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    It has an alloy Steerer tube, and yes I rode it unknowingly. I also put a new stem on it, but that should have nothing to do with the fork being loose in the frame, correct?
    If you didn't preload the steering head bearing when fitting the new stem, it has everything to do with it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It's exactly the same stem that came stock only shorter went from a 70 to a 40

mtbr member
    The stem is what holds the fork on the bike via the steerer tube. When you remove the stem you need to tighten the top cap of the stem good and snug before tightening the stem bolts, this ''squishes'' everything together so there will not be play in the headset bearings . If you do not have the stem preloaded enough it will cause exactly what you describe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjunk1 View Post
    The stem is what holds the fork on the bike via the steerer tube. When you remove the stem you need to tighten the top cap of the stem good and snug before tightening the stem bolts, this ''squishes'' everything together so there will not be play in the headset bearings . If you do not have the stem preloaded enough it will cause exactly what you describe.
    Hmmm, makes sense, so you think I should just tighten the stem cap down and forget about it? Or do you think I need to worry about the steerer tube breaking off because it was ridden with a little play in it ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hmmm, makes sense, so you think I should just tighten the stem cap down and forget about it? Or do you think I need to worry about the steerer tube breaking off because it was ridden with a little play in it ?
    I think you should take the bike to a bike shop and watch what they do and ask them questions.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meh, you can watch plenty of YouTube vids that show you how to do it. Pretty easy to do.

I just pulled this up. I haven't watched it all the way through, but watch a few and you'll get an idea.

https://youtu.be/ZK5u5ioZU8M

mtbr member
    I doubt anything is damaged but who knows. If you loosen the stem, tighten the cap down snug and then retighten the stem and everything is tight and steers smooth then its likely fine. If your not sure then a bike shop could check everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ok thanks guys

mtbr member
    i would take off the fork and inspect lower crown race, lower bearing race. upper compression ring and bearingr race to see if they have abonormal wear just to be sure everything still makes good contact.

one you remove a threadless stem, it take away the tension of the headset. you alway wanna snug the top cap to preload evrything
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link