mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Invert Surly propulsion / cornering of tires?

So I am finalizing my tubeless setup of my Bud and Lou. Since I am using the Fatty Stripper, which was kind of difficult to set up on my DT Swiss rims (another thread altogether), I want to keep the tires on until summer, so I cannot experiment by removing and re-installing them.

We had over two feet of snow last week (melted with about 2 inches left) and I pointed the direction of the Lou on "Propusion". It worked great on soft snow (6 to 8 inches) and gave me a lot of traction. However, on the fireroads (no snow) I could feel the Lou grip was too much. So I am curious about inverting the tire to "cornering". Will doing this allow me to still have good snow traction (about 6 fresh inches today) but make it not too grippy on the fireroads.

Curious if anyone has inverted their tire direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I switched bud and lou from propulsion to cornering mode and did notice they rolled a little easier. And did not notice a loss in traction, but we have really not had any real challenging snow conditions this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks Joe. Thats what I want to know. We do have periodic snow but thye dont last more than a week on the trails so, on average, I will be riding bare trails with little to no snow. I am tempted to just put on my summer tires (jumbo jims) but I want to keep using e Bud/Lou since winter isn't really over.

turtles make me hot
    I ran Bud in cornering and Lou in propulsion. Worked great but I didn't try them the other way.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I will answer my own question so everyone here can collectively benefit from my experience. In the past two weeks I ran both the Bud and Lou in "propulsion" direction. It worked quite well and I had very strong traction (the Lou) even in 8 inches of snow. When I thought I would loose it, I just pounded the pedals and the bike lurched forward. I was quite surprised and happy about the traction on snow. Unfortunately, the Lou was ay too grippy on trails without snow. I could certainly feel the rear end of my bike hunkering down. Maybe it was due to the low pressure (4-6 psi) or my lack of fitness.

Anyway, this weekend I put the Lou on "cornering" direction and rode the bike on fresh and packed snow (8 inches for fresh portions). Some portions of the trail had about 10 to 15 feet of steep inclines with mud or with packed snow. I immediately noticed that the Lou had less traction on those inclines compared to when it was on propulsion. This is the exact same trail I rode last week so I was a good comparable experiment. On some portions I had to get off since the tire was slipping. So clearly the direction of the tire makes a bit of a relative difference. For the Bud, it didn't really matter.

On the flat portions of the snow, the Lou was find on both directions either way.