mtbr member

internal 8 speed Nexus shifter comments?

Nexus

So I think I'm narrowing down my next bike system,
    a fat bike with a bob trailer with a fat wheel like the one featured in the attached pic.
    I have a very long beach ride planned and I have to carry a bit of gear,
    but it also all has to box up to fit on the greyhound bus.

now I'm starting to get into specifics and gearing is at the top of my list!
    What do y'all think of the Nexus 8 speed shifter?
    Do you think it has enough low gear range for pulling a loaded trailer
    thru the hardpack sand next to the surf?

If not the internal 8 speed then what?

Presently I'm looking into the Fat Sand Bikes .....
    Comparison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails internal 8 speed Nexus shifter comments?-5617065681_7fe016e1a9_z.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a Nexus 8 on my Karate Monkey. Range is okay.... you can go from fast to slow, just not really fast to really slow. Also you have some control over the range by changing the size of the rear cog and front chainring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    I have a Nexus 8 on my Karate Monkey. Range is okay.... you can go from fast to slow, just not really fast to really slow. Also you have some control over the range by changing the size of the rear cog and front chainring.
    Perfect! I change out my sprockets on my street legal offroad motorcycle all the time so yeah that'll work!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Dude if you're going to be hauling stuff with a Shimano internal hub, remember to shift like it's a manual in a car. Easy does it until the engagement pawl is in place.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Dude if you're going to be hauling stuff with a Shimano internal hub, remember to shift like it's a manual in a car. Easy does it until the engagement pawl is in place.
    thanks! I like this trade off much better than having all that chain of the external while it's living in the sand.

mtbr member
    If you're going heavily loaded you may be better off with a Rohloff hub.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    If you're going heavily loaded you may be better off with a Rohloff hub.
    reviews on the rohloff hub:
    Rohloff Speedhub 500-14 CC Hub Reviews
    Expensive! almost the price of a standard fat bike ......
    something to consider though, next time around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Take a look at the NuVinci N360 hub. Completely sealed transmission (you said a long beach ride, right) and you don't really "shift" gears, so much as "slide" planetary bearings around, while getting over 300% of changing "gear-ratio". NuVinci's are also used for motorized applications, so they can handle a lot of torque.

mtbr member
    one review on the nuvinci:
    NuVinci N360: Amateur Review

mtbr member
    I've just (1 ride ago) put an Alfine on my Pugsley. That was based on positive experiences I've had with an Alfine on another bike.

You may be better with an Alfine than Nexus because, although they have the same ratios and shifters etc. the Alfine is better sealed and can take a disc brake. Whilst the latter may not be significant to you I think, for how you want to use it the former may be
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    so it seems the nexus isn't all that popular?

I ask about it because it's standard on the bike I'm considering
    link: Terrain Destroyerthe Terrain Destroyer by Fat Sand Bikes.

so far the response for the nexus hasn't been all that great?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Tacking onto drofluf's answer, which is 95% of the answer, I just don't see the Nexus hubs much.

You could try contacting fatsandbike and see if they'll go all disc tab / Alfine for you for a reasonable price difference.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Frt Range, CO
    The Nexus 8R36 has the same basic internals as the Alfine 8 501. The sealing is the same on the brake side, slightly different but similar function on the drive side. The Nexus 8R25 sucks and is the reason people don't like Nexus hubs. The sealing wasn't very good on the 8R25 so it tended to fail in wet conditions.

The Nexus roller brake is not so good, IMO. I find that it's not very progressive, it is very easy to lock up. I keep it greased w/factory lube and that helps some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    The Nexus 8R36 has the same basic internals as the Alfine 8 501. The sealing is the same on the brake side, slightly different but similar function on the drive side. The Nexus 8R25 sucks and is the reason people don't like Nexus hubs. The sealing wasn't very good on the 8R25 so it tended to fail in wet conditions.

The Nexus roller brake is not so good, IMO. I find that it's not very progressive, it is very easy to lock up. I keep it greased w/factory lube and that helps some.
    thanks! a real user/owner/operator, cool. so perhaps my search for a bike moves on? especially with the reports I've been getting!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So far so good on my Alfine 8. A huge upgrade over my Nexus inter-3.
    Used almost exclusively for XC riding, rarely a flat piece of ground in sight.
    Geared 34 - 20 it has just the right range for this type of riding.
    Only a year on it so far, but no problems yet.
    Vic has a bunch of geared hub bikes, he may have mentioned how old his oldest one is in some of his posts on IGH.