Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

interest in Ti isis bb option

I have been talking to a canadian company about producing a light weight 100mm ISIS bb in either Ti or light steel axle option. I figured out with a light set of cranks it could be lighter than the e13 option and spin more freely. Just trying to guage the interest people would have in that option to help persuade the company.

well?
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Rather than make a ISIS BB system that will have a limited life how about slightly different.

What I would buy right now would be an ISIS axle that worked with the external bearings that are so common these days. I'd buy at least 2, preferably Ti.

With that we would have the advantage of an everlasting setup - just replace commonly available bearings.

Also there is a huge supply of light high quality cranks at bargain prices.

I'd also buy normal length if that was available too.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thing is, if you were to fit a isis chainset to an external bb you would increase the offset of the rings with the extra width of the bb cups. Middleburn x type spiders have this offset but what if you don't use Middleburn cranks?

But then the increased offset may be welcome for those with clearance issues.....

mtbr member
    well i have a bb made by this company and the bearings are replaceable within the cups, so that is a non issue. They make trials bbs and trials will never move away from isis, so these guys will be producing bbs for a while
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamard View Post
    well i have a bb made by this company and the bearings are replaceable within the cups, so that is a non issue. They make trials bbs and trials will never move away from isis, so these guys will be producing bbs for a while
    Well that makes my request a non-issue.

Ok, I'm interested. Tell us more.

mtbr member
    Sure I will buy one.

Chronic Underachiever
    I'd like to hear more also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    me too

mtbr member
    This is the company i was refering to, Reset Bikes.

R E S E T . B I K E . C O - C A N A D A

they currently have a 68mmx128mm Ti axle bb that weighs 200g with steel M15 bolts. This is not a weak item as it has been used on trials bikes for 3 years or so. In talking with Will over there he thinks that a steel axle bb would be just under 300g with bolts, so i would guess a Ti version would be around 240g or so

mtbr member
    i did a little researching a nd a Ti bb with middleburn cranks would be lighter than an e13 setup and would spin more freely in the cold

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you want a light BB, Phil Wood makes a Ti spindle option for their 100 mm BB. Listed weight is 171g without cups. Square taper only, though. FWIW, I broke a Ti spindle a few years ago. It was an ActionTec installed in a WTB Grease Guard BB. It was 15+ years old, however.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Sounds interesting.... Any idea on pricing ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Phil Ti BB is around $270 w/cups.

mtbr member
    i'm not sure on the price, but i paid $130 for my Ti trials version aboot 3 years ago.

as for breaking the axle, not a chance... If none of them have broken from trials use, a little longer axle in a fat bike application will not break

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Biggest problem might be finding decent Isis cranks... you might want to check again with Middleburn if they still offer the Isis interface (they stopped doing that for tandem cranksets for instance).
    FSA still makes some "regular to low end" Isis cranks...

If Middleburn still makes them, I'm interested in such a BB as well.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of middleburn cranks in isis, only thing better would be for middleburn to make a 100mm two piece crank.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Slightly off topic, but what's the deal with ISIS? For a while there, it was the new de facto standard, or the closest thing to it since the square taper. I've owned a few, and they worked well for me. Is there some good reason why it appears to be fading out, or is it just marketing hype, on to the next new thing? Maybe fading out is the wrong phrase, more like being pushed down in the food chain by BB30, Mega Exo, or some other proprietary one-off solution.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what's the deal with ISIS? For a while there, it was the new de facto standard, or the closest thing to it since the square taper. I've owned a few, and they worked well for me. Is there some good reason why it appears to be fading out, or is it just marketing hype, on to the next new thing? Maybe fading out is the wrong phrase, more like being pushed down in the food chain by BB30, Mega Exo, or some other proprietary one-off solution.

ISIS was the industry's answer to Shimano's OctaLink crank interface. ISIS became an "open standard", so it was widely adopted. Trouble was, bearings were smaller and wore out more quickly than with the previous square taper standard crank sets.

Then Shimano went to the Hollow Tech 2 piece cranks and the rest of the industry chased that trend until ISIS was pretty much abandoned by the main stream companies.

Two piece cranks eliminated choices for manufacturers. Now you had one spindle length for mtb, and one for road. BB shell widths could be accommodated for by shims. Less SKU's means higher profits, so there went your ISIS and any other more complex system for crank sets.

Back in the square taper days, we used to have a machinists chest full of different BB spindles, then it got weeded down to just several cartridge BB's, then down again to a handful of ISIS and Octalink sizes, and just a few years ago it was basically down to the outboard cups. Now with the newer variations, choices have actually increased again.

Pretty interesting stuff.

As far as ISIS being better, SKF figured it out: SKF

But by the time they got in, ISIS had been passed by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Others may view it as the also-ran of BB's, but I'm pretty impressed with the Howitzer ISIS BB on my Pugs that I have used for the past three months. I know a lot of people are jonesing for a BB30 set up, but those have limitations as well, such as the super-high BB shell internal tolerances required and the fact that the bearings are just as exposed as any external BB cup's are. I have two bikes with them (had a third, but sold it), and the bearings are good for a few muddy rides or maybe a season if you are gentle. They can also be a pain to preload the bearings properly with the correct number of wavy spring washers and flat shims. I think the weight savings of a BB30 on a fat bike would be negligible (loss of cups vs. increased BB shell material and longer spindle), but it might be stiffer- I'm only #160, so I've never noticed BB flex.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks, Ted. Pretty informative. Not familiar with SKF. In what way do they have it figured out? Doesn't look like they have a fatbike option. Deux, I hear you on the external cup issue. Getting the preload just right seems to be a pain for all external cup BBs. I find that hitting the "sweet spot" on the Mr Whirly BB is more a matter of trial and error (and periodic adjusting). I now have an e13 crank on my Twenty2. What's the verdict on them?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Thanks, Ted. Pretty informative. Not familiar with SKF. In what way do they have it figured out? Doesn't look like they have a fatbike option.

They used better bearings and races than anyone else and at one time had a multi-year warranty on the BB's. Of course, the prices to get one reflect this. But they out-lasted most others by far.

Yes- no fat bike option, which in reality is a DH option. ISIS BB's we use for fat bikes were originally intended for DH bikes. We just got to borrow the technology.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Yes- no fat bike option, which in reality is a DH option. ISIS BB's we use for fat bikes were originally intended for DH bikes. We just got to borrow the technology.
    Which explains why they weigh nearly a pound.

Karma Vampire
    I was wondering how good is the sealing on the Reset BB. I don't know much about trials, from what I see, they have mad skills. ISIS seems to be the standard for trial bikes. So I was guessing, admittedly uninformed, that they don't ride in nasty environmental conditions, just high BB bearing loads.

Based on GT's and benwitt11's blogging I am to trying the Origin-8 ISIS. Almost tried the square taper and P. Wood route. Glad I didn't when I heard about the cranks design. Just hope the FSA BB gives me a season. So yes, if this Reset BB makes it to market soon, I would try for next season.

Off topic note:

I have been keeping my eye on Praxis for some chainrings, still waiting for my size/application, but while surfing their site, I came across this:
    http://praxiscycles.com/index.php?page=m35

Praxis sort of applied the e-thirteen treatment to the BB30 shell. Huge spindle, 35mm, with the bearings placed outboard of the shell. Looks like the impetus is to use a composite spindle. That stiffness improvement would most likely be lost on a fatbike.

Doesn't look to be anymore environmentally robust than a Shimano external setup.They are selling this system, including cranksets, to OEM's only, like Look. Fatback, 907 or Salsa, ya never know :-)
    Last edited by 29Again; 12-16-2011 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    update: i got a nice email yesterday regarding some solid info on this bb becoming reality. target weight should be 220g sans bolts with two cartridge bearings per side. Price should be around $200 canadian. looks like i will probably be ordering 20 units to make sure that this will become reality

mtbr member
    That's nice and light and should make for a light build with the right cranks. Will the bearings be replaceable?

The Middleburn external bearing crank is now available though, and it is also light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast