InterBike Fatties

Printable View

  • 09-16-2013
    wyoracerX
    InterBike Fatties
    I'm not there but someone here is.
    Where are the outdoor demo pics?
  • 09-16-2013
    blown240
    No pics, but my uncle demo'd a Surly and fell in love with fat bikes. It was his first time on anything but a Yeti.
  • 09-16-2013
    crashtestdummy
    I posted a few in the daily fat bike photo thread. There's a lot of them there including a Borealus with carbon rims that weighs under 22 pounds. I'll try to take more photos in the AM.
  • 09-16-2013
    bdundee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I posted a few in the daily fat bike photo thread. There's a lot of them there including a Borealus with carbon rims that weighs under 22 pounds. I'll try to take more photos in the AM.

    Maybe look for the new Vee Rubber Snowshoe tire if ya get a chance.
  • 09-16-2013
    crashtestdummy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Maybe look for the new Vee Rubber Snowshoe tire if ya get a chance.

    Vee Rubber was suppose to be the tube sponsor, and they had zero tubes. They also had very little at their booth, except one bored looking guy. Hopefully they will do better at the indoor show.
  • 09-17-2013
    jnroyal
  • 09-17-2013
    mtuck1
    Those carbon bikes are beautiful, and 21 pounds OMG!
  • 09-17-2013
    jonshonda
    Both the 9zero and fb look killer.

    I am solo pumped about getting the first snow ride in. Tick-tock ol' man winter.
  • 09-17-2013
    Lars_D
    I am really liking the Borealis fat bike. I am hoping to pull the trigger on one of their frames soon.
  • 09-17-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

    Several fat bike manufactures mentioned that they expect RockShox and X-Fusion to bring fat bike suspension forks to market in the near future, though neither company would comment on the possibility.
    I guess we wait.
  • 09-17-2013
    Slow Danger
    That Aluboo fat bike will be coming in with a complete build with X9 at $2400. Cheaper than the new Trek.
  • 09-18-2013
    duggus
    I'm going to be surprised if anything fat bike related comes out at Interbike that this group hasn't already seen. We are pretty up on our "top secret" and new fat-stuff... ehhh?

    That or we will have 3 duplicate threads for each.
  • 09-18-2013
    SmooveP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I guess we wait.

    I take this to mean no new fat suspension forks were introduced at the show?
  • 09-18-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    That new 4.25" Vee/Fatback tire looks mighty nice.
  • 09-18-2013
    SmooveP
    Some good info and pics here:
    Interbike Outdoor Demo Report ? Day 1 | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Interbike Outdoor Demo ? Day 2 | FAT-BIKE.COM

    The olive drab green Pugs with matching green is cool. And it looks like e13 has a new TRS crank in a fat version. Direct mount 2x anyone?
  • 09-18-2013
    pucstopr30
    I don't know if this has been noticed by anyone, but in the Salsa preview catalog for the Mukluk it says that geometry has been updated to accept 100mm suspension forks. It may just be for the new inverted forks that hit the market...
    Just an observation...
    Chris
  • 09-18-2013
    Espen W
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pucstopr30 View Post
    I don't know if this has been noticed by anyone, but in the Salsa preview catalog for the Mukluk it says that geometry has been updated to accept 100mm suspension forks. It may just be for the new inverted forks that hit the market...
    Just an observation...
    Chris

    Or possibly for another (very promising) fork in the works... ;)
  • 09-18-2013
    TrailMaker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pucstopr30 View Post
    I don't know if this has been noticed by anyone, but in the Salsa preview catalog for the Mukluk it says that geometry has been updated to accept 100mm suspension forks. It may just be for the new inverted forks that hit the market... Just an observation...

    Good catch...

    ...For a goalie. :)
  • 09-18-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I take this to mean no new fat suspension forks were introduced at the show?

    That's the way it looks. If anyone had a fat suspension fork for sale for the 2013/14 season we'd know about it by now.
  • 09-18-2013
    JAGI410
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pucstopr30 View Post
    I don't know if this has been noticed by anyone, but in the Salsa preview catalog for the Mukluk it says that geometry has been updated to accept 100mm suspension forks. It may just be for the new inverted forks that hit the market...
    Just an observation...
    Chris

    That's just marketing. Buy now! Suspension is coming! The Mukluk been suspension corrected since the beginning.
  • 09-18-2013
    trumpus
  • 09-18-2013
    TBerntson
    1 Attachment(s)
    Fatback fork
    Here's a new option at Interbike
  • 09-18-2013
    SmooveP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBerntson View Post
    Here's a new option at Interbike

    Same fork, different decal.
  • 09-18-2013
    damnitman
    ...just to clarify...that is not the Sosa "fork with many names"...that is the G-Answer Flame with a Fatback decal on it...Greg had it on his raw Al Beltdrive Fatback @ IB 2012...there are pics around somewhere...
  • 09-18-2013
    SmooveP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...just to clarify...that is not the Sosa "fork with many names"...that is the G-Answer Flame with a Fatback decal on it...Greg had it on his raw Al Beltdrive Fatback @ IB 2012...there are pics around somewhere...

    Ah, I stand erected.
  • 09-18-2013
    Shark
    That is the 11nine right?? Anyone ridden this yet???.....excited!

  • 09-18-2013
    duggus
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    Nice detailed photos here: http://imgur.com/a/60eFV
  • 09-18-2013
    willzager
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Nice detailed photos here: Fat Bikes Galore - Imgur

    OOOooooo these are pretty. I've never even ridden a carbon bike but I now know that I absolutely need one.
  • 09-18-2013
    buddhak
    Speaking of standing erect,

    That Siman hardtail is whispering in my ear...
  • 09-19-2013
    SmooveP
    Gotta stop looking at pics of carbon fatbikes with XX1 before something bad happens with my credit card.

    Is it me or are the seatstays on the Borealis impossibly thin?
  • 09-19-2013
    willzager
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Is it me or are the seatstays on the Borealis impossibly thin?

    I was thinking the same thing. But they do look in line with other carbon mountain bikes.
  • 09-19-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. But they do look in line with other carbon mountain bikes.

    Read around on MTBR - folks are not very happy when they topple over on their carbon MTBs and snap a seatstay. Shouldn't be a problem if you are riding on soft stuff though.

    Rocks are another matter.
  • 09-19-2013
    willzager
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Read around on MTBR - folks are not very happy when they topple over on their carbon MTBs and snap a seatstay. Shouldn't be a problem if you are riding on soft stuff though.

    Rocks are another matter.

    Yeah, the thin-ness still definitely scares me a bit. I'm hoping Borealis knows more about carbon than I do though ;)
  • 09-19-2013
    bdundee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    Yeah, the thin-ness still definitely scares me a bit. I'm hoping Borealis knows more about carbon than I do though ;)

    If I remember correctly they are thin one way but thick the other for some reason they stated. I will see if I can find the pic.
  • 09-19-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    Yeah, the thin-ness still definitely scares me a bit. I'm hoping Borealis knows more about carbon than I do though ;)

    There is no magic to carbon. It can be used to make a strong, stiff and light bike for sure, but impact loading on a thin area like that [say falling onto a rock] and it will be party over.

    You can repair carbon though so it's not like your bike is permanently toast.

    Each frame material has some pros and cons. They key is to be realistic about them and match them to your needs.
  • 09-19-2013
    SmooveP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If I remember correctly they are thin one way but thick the other for some reason they stated. I will see if I can find the pic.

    On their website (couldn't easily grab the pic) it shows a view from above where the stays are wide and flat in the middle.
  • 09-19-2013
    duggus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If I remember correctly they are thin one way but thick the other for some reason they stated. I will see if I can find the pic.

    I believe (need article too) that they were designed that way to give a very slight flex vertically... and then resist flex from side to side. So in a way getting a very small amount of cushion/give to it. To me it seems similar to the Salsa full suspension designs with the flexing seat stays... but on a much smaller scale.
  • 09-19-2013
    willzager
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    On their website (couldn't easily grab the pic) it shows a view from above where the stays are wide and flat in the middle.

    Good call. These both give a pretty good view. Gorgeous bike.


  • 09-19-2013
    bdundee
  • 09-19-2013
    duggus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdundee View Post

    Wow you're fast! I literally was just checking the site 5 minutes ago. Holy crap.... ANOTHER fat bike tire!

    I'm still looking forward to the in-between size Fatback Sterling
  • 09-19-2013
    bdundee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Wow you're fast! I literally was just checking the site 5 minutes ago. Holy crap.... ANOTHER fat bike tire!

    I'm still looking forward to the in-between size Fatback Sterling

    I heard a rumor that this tire was also made for the frames that wouldn't fit Bud and Lou. So maybe another good contender.
  • 09-19-2013
    SmooveP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    There is no magic to carbon. It can be used to make a strong, stiff and light bike for sure, but impact loading on a thin area like that [say falling onto a rock] and it will be party over.

    You can repair carbon though so it's not like your bike is permanently toast.

    Each frame material has some pros and cons. They key is to be realistic about them and match them to your needs.

    To be fair, there are some ways to make it more impact resistant. Using thicker walls is the most obvious way. Different layups and resins are another. Not sure how much is hype vs reality, but Cannondale attempts to address this with their so called "BallisTec" carbon. All that said, I'd guess that if you employed all of those techniques across the whole frame, the weight penalty would be pretty severe.
  • 09-19-2013
    crashtestdummy
    Here are a few that gomez has yet to post, at least I think. I'm still a little brain dead from the last 4 days.

    A beach cruiser with a geared hub, double crank and 101mm rims, very long chainstays also.



    From the same company is a studded over shoe. You deflate the tire, strap on the tread, and re-inflate. Production studs will be shorter, this is the Thunderdome version.



    Kawasaki fat bike.



    Out of all the bikes I rode at Outdoor Demo, this was my favorite.



  • 09-19-2013
    mongol777
    Nice - I can see myself using studded belt and avoid buying studded tires (times 4 for me) for ocassional ice riding. What's the company name?
  • 09-19-2013
    Shark
    Wow lots of new toys :) Stan's fat rims, Xfusion fork...interesting!
  • 09-19-2013
    JYB
    Fatback Sterling is gonna kill it! I hope I can score some!
  • 09-19-2013
    crashtestdummy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Nice - I can see myself using studded belt and avoid buying studded tires (times 4 for me) for ocassional ice riding. What's the company name?

    I have that info at home, I'll try to add it later.
  • 09-19-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    More carbon tubeless rims/wheels from Hed


    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/18/...ce=twitterfeed
  • 09-19-2013
    Drew Diller
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    From the same company is a studded over shoe. You deflate the tire, strap on the tread, and re-inflate. Production studs will be shorter, this is the Thunderdome version.


    Is there a higher resolution image available? It looks like they screwed some sheet metal screws from the inside out and then strapped some strips of rubber from one sidewall to the other, which would be snake oil BS if true. As in - I'd like to see what the product looks like off the tire all flopping around.
  • 09-19-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    Fatback Sterling is gonna kill it! I hope I can score some!

    Agreed, hope they don't have a "limited" winter run. Looks like a sweet summer race tire.
  • 09-19-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ... which would be snake oil BS ...

    LOL, too funny Drew
  • 09-19-2013
    bdundee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    Agreed, hope they don't have a "limited" winter run. Looks like a sweet summer race tire.

    As of right now I think that's the route I'm going as well. Fatback just plain knows what's going to work!
  • 09-19-2013
    Espen W
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I heard a rumor that this tire was also made for the frames that wouldn't fit Bud and Lou. So maybe another good contender.

    Yep, we had rubbing issues on our Mk2 Diamant Mammuts under load with Lou, so we hooked up with Vee to make a tire that was just a hair smaller, so that it would fit more frames, but also have holes for up to 300 studs. The prototype in the pic lacks them, though.
  • 09-19-2013
    JYB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    Agreed, hope they don't have a "limited" winter run. Looks like a sweet summer race tire.

    My thoughts exactly!:thumbsup:
  • 09-19-2013
    damnitman
    Are your studs aluminum/carbide or steel? Are they going to be available for import to the US? Projected price? Projected date? etc, etc...My next fat tire investment is studded
  • 09-19-2013
    Espen W
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Are your studs aluminum/carbide or steel? Are they going to be available for import to the US? Projected price? Projected date? etc, etc...My next fat tire investment is studded

    The tire will come unstudded (like the 45NRTH Escalator did), so one can pick any type of stud. The tire is an open model by Vee, meaning that any brand can spec it and it will be available in the aftermarket. We initiated the process since we needed such a tire and we felt that the market did too, so we helped Vee with input for sizing, pattern, studability, number of stud pockets, knob sizing, and so on. As well as approving the Snowshoe name at the Eurobike show a few weeks ago :)
    I noticed that the prototype shown in the pic from IB did not have stud pockets, so I need to remind them about that, as that is the other major selling point (besides being essentially Lou size, but should fit a lot more frames without rubbing).
    I'm really impressed by Vee, they are absolutely swamped with work, as they are OE spec on 90% of MY14 fatbike specs, but still have time to crank out new stuff like Snowshoe and Sterling in a quick manner. We have sold approx. 1000 Vee equipped fatbikes over the last six months, so we are a pretty decent fatbike customer for them. I don't have any offical info on launch or aftermarket price yet, unfortunately.
  • 09-19-2013
    Lars_D
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The tire will come unstudded (like the 45NRTH Escalator did), so one can pick any type of stud. The tire is an open model by Vee, meaning that any brand can spec it and it will be available in the aftermarket. We initiated the process since we needed such a tire and we felt that the market did too, so we helped Vee with input for sizing, pattern, studability, number of stud pockets, knob sizing, and so on. As well as approving the Snowshoe name at the Eurobike show a few weeks ago :)
    I noticed that the prototype shown in the pic from IB did not have stud pockets, so I need to remind them about that, as that is the other major selling point (besides being essentially Lou size, but should fit a lot more frames without rubbing).
    I'm really impressed by Vee, they are absolutely swamped with work, as they are OE spec on 90% of MY14 fatbike specs, but still have time to crank out new stuff like Snowshoe and Sterling in a quick manner. We have sold approx. 1000 Vee equipped fatbikes over the last six months, so we are a pretty decent fatbike customer for them. I don't have any offical info on launch or aftermarket price yet, unfortunately.

    Any estimate on weight?
  • 09-19-2013
    Espen W
    Nothing official yet. The first tires are fresh off the mold and likely need some tuning before production, etc.
  • 09-19-2013
    ak greeff
    I was told by the HED people at the show that the rims would be $1000.00 apiece!!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post

  • 09-19-2013
    ak greeff
    fatback carbon rim
    No pics of the fatback carbon rims yet?
  • 09-19-2013
    duggus
    Stand fat rims
    Just read this about the Stan's proto, would be awesome If the weight/price tidbit comes true...

    From Tree Fort Bikes:
    "Stan's No Tubes is showing off a prototype rim for fat bikes that promises make going tubeless on fat bikes as easy as it is on a traditional mountain bike. The model shown is 52mm wide but product should be in the 80-100mm width range and is said to be on par weight wise with the carbon rims being introduced at the show at a fraction of the cost.

    More details and final specs will be release in early January with a ship date slightly after that."
  • 09-19-2013
    duggus
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    No pics of the fatback carbon rims yet?

    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/anybody-interested-fatback-carbon-871141.html
  • 09-19-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Just read this about the Stan's proto, would be awesome If the weight/price tidbit comes true...

    From Tree Fort Bikes:
    "Stan's No Tubes... The model shown is 52mm wide but product should be in the 80-100mm width range and is said to be on par weight wise with the carbon rims ..."

    Now That's what I'm talking about, +80mm, light as carbon and tubeless
  • 09-19-2013
    alphazz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Just read this about the Stan's proto, would be awesome If the weight/price tidbit comes true...

    From Tree Fort Bikes:
    "Stan's No Tubes is showing off a prototype rim for fat bikes that promises make going tubeless on fat bikes as easy as it is on a traditional mountain bike. The model shown is 52mm wide but product should be in the 80-100mm width range and is said to be on par weight wise with the carbon rims being introduced at the show at a fraction of the cost.

    More details and final specs will be release in early January with a ship date slightly after that."

    Wow, why not have them before winter?
  • 09-19-2013
    ak greeff
    1 Attachment(s)
    Fatback carbon rim
    test
  • 09-19-2013
    damnitman
    ...well let me know if you need help testing a set...things here'll be freezing-up within a couple weeks...snow forecast for this Monday...
  • 09-20-2013
    gfs69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Just read this about the Stan's proto, would be awesome If the weight/price tidbit comes true...

    From Tree Fort Bikes:
    "Stan's No Tubes is showing off a prototype rim for fat bikes that promises make going tubeless on fat bikes as easy as it is on a traditional mountain bike. The model shown is 52mm wide but product should be in the 80-100mm width range and is said to be on par weight wise with the carbon rims being introduced at the show at a fraction of the cost.

    More details and final specs will be release in early January with a ship date slightly after that."

    Where did you see this on Tree Fort's site, I couldn't find it, Thanks.
  • 09-20-2013
    jonshonda
    I for one will be swapping out my rd's for stans if they are anything like my flows quality wise.
  • 09-20-2013
    duggus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Where did you see this on Tree Fort's site, I couldn't find it, Thanks.

    Sorry, facebook post from them: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
  • 09-20-2013
    JYB
    I really hope that Stan's decides to take these "narrower" fat bike rims into production. Something between 47-60mm would rock for 3/4 of the year where I live in VA. Actually, I hope they make a "narrower" and a "wider" option!
  • 09-20-2013
    jnroyal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    I really hope that Stan's decides to take these "narrower" fat bike rims into production. Something between 47-60mm would rock for 3/4 of the year where I live in VA. Actually, I hope they make a "narrower" and a "wider" option!

    +1, would also be nice if it is drilled to accept both centered and offset lacing for us Pug owners.
  • 09-20-2013
    Espen W
    I think they'll do both. They were pretty secretive when I talked to Mark and Mike at Eurobike, but our guy at Interbike just reported that 80mm will happen, so fingers crossed. We really want 100mm, but if they at least go 80, we'll likely order 2000+ pcs of these rims from Stan. Just emailed the man himself, but they are more than busy right now, so a response is probably a few days out.
  • 09-20-2013
    JYB
    Thanks for the info Espen! Keep us updated. Although I would love to have some tubeless 80s, I would really love to have some tubeless 52s. The lighter, narrower rims combined with lighter tires are seriously game changers for long days on techy trails where I live. I'm talking game changers. You still have a big fat tire, but far less rotational mass. I can't wait to follow the Stan's developments!:)
  • 09-20-2013
    Gigantic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    I really hope that Stan's decides to take these "narrower" fat bike rims into production. Something between 47-60mm would rock for 3/4 of the year where I live in VA. Actually, I hope they make a "narrower" and a "wider" option!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    +1, would also be nice if it is drilled to accept both centered and offset lacing for us Pug owners.

    +2!
  • 09-20-2013
    Espen W
    I will definitely mention the 17.5mm (Pug) offset drilling to Stan, since we have approx 1000 Mk1 and Mk2 bikes on the market now with that offset, so that could be interesting for our aftermarket sales.
  • 09-20-2013
    gfs69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duggus View Post

    Thanks! What I have been waiting for!!
  • 09-23-2013
    Shark
    My "skinny" stans rims were great, looking forward to their fat offering! Oh the toys for the new year :) I can't wait!! I will...but....so...exciting !
  • 09-23-2013
    ozzybmx
    I need a set of those stans rims badly.... ive had enough of tape 'n' foam.
  • 09-24-2013
    wyoracerX
    Re: InterBike Fatties
    There's going to be a lot of used Surly rims lining the walls of wheelbuilders when the Stan's rims hit market
  • 09-24-2013
    willzager
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    There's going to be a lot of used Surly rims lining the walls of wheelbuilders when the Stan's rims hit market

    That's what I'm hoping for! If anyone has some Marge Lites they want to get rid of let me know!
  • 09-24-2013
    Espen W
    Just got an email from the man himself. I had promised to order 1000-2000pcs of the rims if he went for at least 80mm, and looks like he'll get the orders. Will barely miss our Mk3 production, but Mk4 (in Norwegian shops fall 2014) will have them. With an estimated 80mm rim weight of 600g for the 80mm rim (my estimate based on approx 500g for the 55mm), we should hit 10,650g (23.5lb) in size 17. Price (w/o Norwegian sales tax) in the $2100-2400 range. What we need now is an affordable and not too heavy XX1 type cassette, and we could save a lot more weight by going 1x11 at this mid level price point.
  • 09-24-2013
    JYB
    Are they only making an 80mm, or are they also going to come out with the 55mm??? Any word?
  • 09-24-2013
    GSJ1973
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    Are they only making an 80mm, or are they also going to come out with the 55mm??? Any word?

    52mm and 80(ish)mm is what I have seen posted on this forum.