mtbr member

inexpensive fat bike for sale

Yup, that's what I'm looking for, an inexpensive fat bike. I want to get into fat biking and I got a trip that I'm planning to do where this would be perfect. I don't want to sell my car to get a bike if you know what I mean. Unless I get a good sponsor I'll have to go the economical route. I hadn't seen many used fat bikes but there are a few for rent in my area. could be they want to move to newer bikes and sell the older ones? I'll be asking but doubt if those bike are that old yet. so ........ on to new economy models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fat Sand Bikes makes the least expensive new fat bikes that I'm aware of - $900 to start I believe. Demand exceeds supply of fat bikes in general, so craigslist is a crapshoot - the well-priced stuff sells instantly in my area.

mtbr member
    Inexpensive and fat bikes are relative terms. You can find a bike thats inexpensive for a fatbike, however it is not an inexpensive bike. The cheapest I have seen hear in Anchorage is $1200 and that was for a small size. Just drop the cash man you won't be sorry.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    inexpensive fat bike for sale
    bit of an oxymoron me thinks but one never knows.

mtbr member
    Inexpensive is a relative term. Some how in my own mind I have justified $4000. as inexpensive, for a bicycle. Oh yeah, that's what I keep telling my wife!

mtbr member
    I got lucky and got last years mukluk 2 for $1200 from my lbs. It was part of their rental fleet. If you have a shop that rents them see if they want to sell last years, if not ask about their plans to sell this years at the end of the season. Maybe you can pay for a season rental and have that go toward the purchase price at the end of the season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    With the purchase consider the resale. Buy a used good condition Pugsley for $1200 and you should be able to get that out of it in one or two years.

Beyond that resale is going to be dependent on the supply/demand. If a few other companies entered into the fatbike market, or Surly really upped their production, I'd only expect $800 or about half of retail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akt42 View Post
    I got lucky and got last years mukluk 2 for $1200 from my lbs. It was part of their rental fleet. If you have a shop that rents them see if they want to sell last years, if not ask about their plans to sell this years at the end of the season. Maybe you can pay for a season rental and have that go toward the purchase price at the end of the season.
    Yeah, I do have a rental shop so this would be my first plan, then maybe find another if this doesn't pan out. They could possibly partly sponsor me?

what tires are these? 4.8? is that the widest they go ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inexpensive fat bike for sale-dsci4055.jpg  

inexpensive fat bike for sale-dsci4056a.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Call around to all the dealers in your area you might get lucky and find a deal on a 2012. I did the same thing and got a great deal for a brand new 12 Mukluk. I basically paid what others were asking used.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I picked up my Pugs at REI during their anniversary sale for right around 1200, plus get the dividend money back on it at the end of this year, so that might be a good option for you if you have an REI in your area. Their winter sale is coming up next week. Not sure if Bikes are on sale, but they may be in an effort to get rid of the '12 models.

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm planning on selling my proto-fat bike in a week or two (I'm in the middle of overhauling it now). Its got 44mm SnowCat rims on a more standard frame, but with a lot of customizations for snow use. At only 26.5 lbs its a great choice for a lighter rider. It does great on packed snow, but isn't as fast as a full-fat bike on fresh soft snow. I'm hoping to get $800 for it if you're interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inexpensive fat bike for sale-snowbikeold.jpg  

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I would reccoment buying a used Pugs.....

As the quality is a known factor, and they are avail on eBay for around 1200, but if you MUST have the cheapest price out there... here ya go. Fat Sand Bike 1 Speed Coaster Brake Steel Framed Model Christmas Special | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Something like this thread should just be a sticky since this is a topic every other day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Portly Throckmorton View Post
    As the quality is a known factor, and they are avail on eBay for around 1200, but if you MUST have the cheapest price out there... here ya go. Fat Sand Bike 1 Speed Coaster Brake Steel Framed Model Christmas Special | eBay
    Nice find! looks similar to their boardwalk cruiser. But I do need gears, low ones! Nice to know they make a steel frame though.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    Yup, that's what I'm looking for, an inexpensive fat bike. I want to get into fat biking and I got a trip that I'm planning to do where this would be perfect. I don't want to sell my car to get a bike if you know what I mean. Unless I get a good sponsor I'll have to go the economical route. I hadn't seen many used fat bikes but there are a few for rent in my area. could be they want to move to newer bikes and sell the older ones? I'll be asking but doubt if those bike are that old yet. so ........ on to new economy models.
    On-One Fatty, $1350
    On-One Fatty
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common