mtbr member
    Jul 2007

impossible build? or just more effort than it is worth?

New to fatbikes here. Here is a query for the fat gurus. I would like to build a fatty using a rohloff igh, gates carbon belt drive and symmetrical wheel if possible. Obviously not just any frame will work here. Not sure what I need to look for though. Is this going to be a custom job or are there frames that will work? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by Audiophiliac; 09-25-2013 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with offset wheels. Go offset, and everything you want becomes easy!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    What's a slumped ugh?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    (Do you mean Schlumpf?)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    If I remember right the chainline on the Rohloff is xxxxxxxxxx* depending on the rear sprocket. There's no way you'll get a proper fat tyre in without offset on the wheel.

If you're happy with using a narrow rim and a 3.8" tyre then symmetrical will work, but you won't have the flotation otherwise available, ie you'll miss most of the advantages of a fatbike. It will still be better than an ordinary mtb.

BTW don't believe the negative stuff about offset, it's perpetuated by the ignorami who heard of it from other nongs and credulous cretins. (Your wheel rims are still centred, just the hub is offset).

The only "difficult" thing about offset is building the wheel, and if your wheel builder can't work that out, then you've had a lucky escape from an incompetent wheel builder. There's a number of good wheel builders on here (mikesee etc)

I've a bit of experience doing belt drive conversions. Make sure you get an adequately stiff chainstay because flex there can unship the belt. You may find it a bit of a hassle getting a Rohloff with a belt sprocket though.

Edit:

*from Rohloff site
    Chainline: 54mm (58mm with 13tooth sprocket)

Must have had a brain freeze. Thanks to bicyclenomad for the correction.
    Last edited by Velobike; 09-30-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The belt drive pretty much forces a custom/semi-custom frame because you need a splittable stay to get the belt on/off. Twenty2 Cycles has done a number of Rohloffs in Ti and steel.

Nuts
    I thought Fatback did a belt drive 135mm compatible rendition as well. (maybe that was just a proto but worth a checksee)
    And I love beer!!

mighty sailin' man
    ^ I recall seeing a few from speedway over the years. Should be pics of them on here somewhere.

Maybe raid thirsty's gallery?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The belt drive pretty much forces a custom/semi-custom frame because you need a splittable stay to get the belt on/off. Twenty2 Cycles has done a number of Rohloffs in Ti and steel.
    The restriction with rohloff is the hub width, my mate has a 22cycles rohloff belt drive with an offset, i believe it is not possible with 135mm and symmetrical.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    This frame will work for the belt drive. It's the only production frame I'm aware of, not that that means much Don't know if it matches ALL the criteria but it's broken seat stay and 135mm width: Fatbikes.com 9:ZERO:7 Sliding Rear Dropout Frame

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    If I remember right the chainline on the Rohloff is 48mm or 50mm depending on the rear sprocket. There's no way you'll get a proper fat tyre in without offset on the wheel.

If you're happy with using a narrow rim and a 3.8" tyre then symmetrical will work, but you won't have the flotation otherwise available, ie you'll miss most of the advantages of a fatbike. It will still be better than an ordinary mtb.
    Rohloff chainline (using 16T cog) is 54mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    This frame will work for the belt drive. It's the only production frame I'm aware of, not that that means much Don't know if it matches ALL the criteria but it's broken seat stay and 135mm width: Fatbikes.com 9:ZERO:7 Sliding Rear Dropout Frame
    Right. Forgot about that one. Looks like a good option and decent price. Like others have said, don't worry about the asymmetrical build. There are more Pugsleys out there than any other fatbike, proving that it works just fine.

midnight skulker
    Audio,
    There is also the Fatback Rocker.

I found that the 907 is certified by Rohloff and Gates to perform to their stiffness requirements. (There are a few others, Twenty2 and Carver both have certified frames, but they want a lot more $$ than I have to spend.)

I mention that because the FatBack frame does not mention being certified for Gates, nor are they mentioned on the Gates reference material. There are a couple differences between the tensioning adjustment on the two frames, and we are now at the end of what i can contribute. (oh, wait, a little more)

FWIW, the only thing that makes me nervous about the offset lace, is that it sounds to me like I won't be able to run in "skinny mode" if i were ever so inclined.

That being said, FatBike answered my questions (lots of em, really quickly and have been really helpful.) THey responded that their "Tusken" model could go 4.8" on an 80mm rim with a belt drive, but with traditional gearing, would only roll a 3.8". (135mm rear spacing)
    Fatback's Rocker is either a 170 or 190 (not sure which from the site) but it hasn't answered me about which, or whether or not anyone has actually used a belt drive on their machines. They make a spacer for their frames so you can run a 135mm hub on them.
    Does anyone have any actual experience on one of these set ups?
    Boy, are my parents gonna be pissed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Have a look here for symmetrical 135mm fat (not with belt-drive, but would be possible):

Titanium 29+/4?fat/Rohloff drive | AMPeirce Cycles

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out schlick cycles. I really like my schlick northpaw.

Rohloff-equipped Schlick Tatanka | FAT-BIKE.COM