Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I'm about ready to give up on tubeless

Tire is a fat larry and rim is a marg lite.

I've tried gorrilla tape with no foam and stans core: not enough material to seal the bead even with a compressor.

I tried tape, then foam then tape: no luck, the tire is extremely hard to get on the rim because there is not enough space for the bead to drop into the rim. I didn't break out my motorcycle tire irons but it was literally harder than any moto tire I have ever mounted.

I tried the dirtrag method of running two seperate sets of foam but the bead won't get over the hump created by the foam.

I tired the split tube with foam and without foam.

I ran the tape up and over the rim but I had a hell of a time keeping the kinks out and the tape was too easily damaged when mounting the tire. It didn't seem like a great longterm solution.

I am at a loss and threw the tube back in after giving up. I injected 3 cups of stans in the tube and would be willing to call it a day if it kept me from getting flats but I've never had a good luck with sealant in tubes.

Is this tire and rim combo not an easy tubeless setup? Are some rims easier than others? Even with the tube, I have to soap the tire to get the bead to seat.

I've read every thread on here and am at a total loss for what to try next. Any help/guidance would be great. I luv my new pug but I ride in places with thorns all over and it will be a major pain to not be able to run tubless (unless the stans in the tube actually works.)

PRETENDURO
    Have you tried lubing up the tire bead with soapy water before trying to get it to go on? Just a thought.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Why does everyone stick stans in tubes?

mtbr member
    tubeless = toobsmore

mtbr member

Re: I'm about ready to give up on tubeless

Idk? Works for me, I've never had any luck with Stans in tubes tho. I think maybe slime would work better for in the tube.

mtbr member

What sort of foam are you using? I've had good luck with a couple of different kinds. My current set up is colorful duct tape as a rim strip, two strips of caulkless caulk strips (one on each side of the rim), then high quality filament tape to the bead shelf, and a split tube. Yes, it can be finicky to get on there, but patience overcomes, and is worth it. Really soapy water helps. And the fingers of a Greek god.

addicted to chunk
    I've had success using Larry, endo, Hudu on rd's. Split tube and gorilla tape.
    c
    Yesterday i could not get a new Hudu on a Marge lite. It sat for a week with a tube in it so the bead was straight, nothing i did would work. Took a well used Hudu off old rim, mounted first try. Wth...
    Riding.....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Are you familiar with setting up tubeless in general?

I ask because there's got to be something you're missing. I think everyone here has had a tire that gave them fits at one time or another, be it skinny, or fat.

But I've set up enough fatties at this point to know I get the same results with them, so air right up, others, fight you a bit, just to see if you really want it.

Since you've done so many methods, and still not had luck, there has to be something you're missing, just gotta be.....

That rim is just like a CS, or RD in terms of construction. Are you getting one bead edge into the center of the rim before trying to get the other edge up over and on? If the bead sits right at the edge, it will be very tough to get the other side of the same bead, on the rim.

The center of the rim is lower, so it gives you more wiggle room to get the tire on. A bit of foam, tube, or tape isn't enough to make this tough. They are so loose, they are hard to keep on the rim, when in the mid section of the rim....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I just mounted up a HuDu on a Rolling Darryl, and it was a b1tch, but I got it to work eventually. I tried the foam approach previously on Large Marges, and I experienced the same problems as you with trying to get the bead over the foam. Ultimately, I think the foam is unnecessary. I recommend that you take out the foam, get the beads seated with a tube, then pop the bead off on one side, remove the tube, dump some Stan's in, and then air it up with the compressor. I actually had to enlist a couple of friends to help pull the unseated bead up against the shelf while airing mine up to get the bead to seat without the tube... I've also used a ratchet strap to compress a Larry to get it to seat on a LM.
    Last edited by BoogieMang; 05-03-2013 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If the problem is getting the tire to bead initially, there is always the explosion method. Its what I used to mount larry's on my RD's with just tape. Bead tire with tube, unbead one side, take out tube leaving one side beaded, spray some ether, light it, done. Search for "fat bike tubess conversion" on youtube. I will warn this is potentially the most dangerous method, perform at your own risk. Worked fine for me though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    waiting for the guyridingfatbiketubelessnoeyebrows.jpg

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Why does everyone stick stans in tubes?
    Iíve had fewer flats with Stanís in my fatbike innertubes than without it. I like to run the pressure relatively low (7 - 10psi) for bombing through the rocky technical stuff, and a few times Iíve had pointy rocks gouge into the sidewalls such that it poked holes in the tube which the Stanís goop was able to seal up.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I finally had success last night and while I haven't ridden the bike hard yet, the tires are holding air well and feel solid. Here is what finally worked in case anyone else runs into trouble.

1. Pink Sill foam from homedepot. The front with the Larry required 2 wraps, the rear required three wraps.
    2. Gorilla taped the foam in place but this is probably in not really needed. It just make getting the tire on less frustrating because the foam stays put.
    3. Split 24''x2.00 tube with the valve carefully cut out and a stans valve in its place.
    4. 3 scoops of stans after airing up once to make sure everything seated ok. I used very light soapy water on the rubber innertube to help it seat. Probably overkill on the stans but I ride in a very thorny area.

I didn't trim the split tube. It looks weird but I can't see any ill effects and I don't want to have to buy a new tube each time. What is your opinion on trimming vs no trimming?

Thanks again for the help. I can't wait to ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Woops, double post.

mtbr member

No trim works for me. Question....why did you split tube and then cut out the valve to use a Stan's? You could have just used he Stan's valve and a layer of tape, or just used the valve in the tube? It just seems like another place to have an issue. I use a schrader split tube because I prefer the way the valve core comes out, and I feel hat I get a better pressure reading when I bother with that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think I am getting close using a tube for rim tape and then this method:
    Fat Bike Tubeless Conversion - YouTube

mtbr member

Unnecessary.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    3. Split 24''x2.00 tube with the valve carefully cut out and a stans valve in its place.
    Yeah, why on earth would you do something like that? Cutting the valve out the the split tube just to replace it with a stans valve defeats the entire purpose of using the split tube in the first place.....

mtbr member
    put a toob in and be done with it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Yeah, why on earth would you do something like that? Cutting the valve out the the split tube just to replace it with a stans valve defeats the entire purpose of using the split tube in the first place.....
    I think the schwalbe 24'' schrader tube is a better/cleaner way to go but......

1. They are not available locally.
    2. You have to drill the rim. I have never done the split tube method before and didn't want to drill the rim and not have it work. (I know you can still use a presta in a schrader drilled rim and used to always drill rims for tube compatability in the "olden days.")
    3. I had the stans valve laying around and I like the removable core. I know you can put the stans in the tire before seating it but I like to inflate and then inject the stans so know it is holding air.

The hook up and interface between the tube and stans valve is solid, it sounds less stable than it is. You can add a little washer for the stans valve to pass through if you want to firm it up even more.

I found the foam and gorilla tape alone to be not solid enough for all the wrestling of the bead I had to do. The rubber split tube really firmed everything up and made it possible to use tire levers to get the tire bead on the rim, if I didn't have the rubber split tube, I would have messed up the tape seal with my tire levers. In hindsight, I underestimated just how tight the interface between the rim and bead needs to be in order to fill up the tire.

I am not saying the way I got this to work is the best way, just that after trying a bunch of other options, this worked for me. After looking at everything I could find on the internet with regards to making this work, I definately think that certain rims make it easier than others. Hopefully this helps the next person.

P.S.: I took the bike for a little spin today and it was great to be able to run such low pressure and not have to worry about thorns or pinch flats.

mtbr member

I just installed a lust crossmark onto a crossmax st rim in about 30 secs with a handpump and no sealant. Amazing what the right tools for the job bring.

First time using Tubeless as well.

mtbr member

^^^yeah, but the point is that we are doing it to rims and tires that weren't meant for it, so there is a process. Any monkey can set up tubeless on a crossmax. But congrats, you'll enjoy.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    ^^^yeah, but the point is that we are doing it to rims and tires that weren't meant for it, so there is a process. Any monkey can set up tubeless on a crossmax. But congrats, you'll enjoy.
    Well maybe leaky tube specific tyres are a good point to start changing your setup in a cost effective and easy way. Certainly way easier than trying new rims first. It's easily been 8 years since I changed a tyre and the difference in bead shape and strength, not to mention sidewall thickness was the first thing I noticed. It almost felt like a lightweight dh tyre, though much lighter than minions of yesteryear. I cant help bt think that a tubeless compatible tyre would save alot of hassles.

Edit, I already have been enjoying, just managed to cut a rear tyre today so first time changing one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think we have tubeless rims already from Speedway/Fatback.
    and, from what I have heard, the On-One Floaters are pretty well sealed even before adding sealant as far as the casing goes. I think the bead area has been an issue on most of the rims, though.

Has anyone tried a Floater on an Uma rim with the thin tape, and little, or no sealant?
    If the bead matches well and seals pretty good, that may be the easiest tubeless setup out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast