mtbr member
    Feb 2006

IGH + Pug + Darryl - question

hey guys:

I'm riding a Pug. (grey) Will never see snow. it does dirt and deserts.

Currently running Marges' with e*thirteen crankset and X0 deraileur system.

Thinking of building new wheels with Darryls' and Alfine8.

My thinking is that I can run the 32T up front on either centre or the outside of the cranks and still have a chainline that clears the tyre yeh?

But how about if I want to squeeze a Big Fat Larry in there?

Anyone got any experience with this before I start pulling wheels appart and building everything?

Thanks

Elvis.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    It should work.

BFL + 80mm rims is about 104mm wide, or 52mm chain rub.

Alfine chain line is 47mm cog flipped outward, plus 17.5mm offset, minus half the chain's width.

47 + 17.5 - ~4 = ~60.5mm

So about 8mm of room for tire wobble and muck.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    It should work.

BFL + 80mm rims is about 104mm wide, or 52mm chain rub.

Alfine chain line is 47mm cog flipped outward, plus 17.5mm offset, minus half the chain's width.

47 + 17.5 - ~4 = ~60.5mm

So about 8mm of room for tire wobble and muck.
    fantastic stuff Drew. Much appreciated.

Do you know how much wider the BFL would sit on 100mm rims? (just wondering how far I can take this...)

Now I just have to inform the wife that her Fargo is about to loose its Alfine8 hub...

Elvis.
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 02-01-2012 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm running Alfine 8 with BFL's on LM's with 32t chainring in the center position on the cranks. Chainline is OUTSIDE the frame at the widest part of the tire (ie, you'd run out of space on the chainstays before you had chain rub).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    I'm running Alfine 8 with BFL's on LM's with 32t chainring in the center position on the cranks. Chainline is OUTSIDE the frame at the widest part of the tire (ie, you'd run out of space on the chainstays before you had chain rub).
    thanks for that JR Z.

How do the BFLs look on LM rims?

I'm quite happy to build with Clownshoes or Darryls. But equally happy to stick with LMs if the tyre bags out enough.

Just thinking of the Simpson Desert again I guess. (where only the FAT survive... everyone else walks)

thanks again for the help/

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It looks to me like there is not enough frame clearance on the pugs for BFLs with clownshoes. I have a darryl alfine and it works fine. I was not pleased with the BFL on marge, it was great on hard pack, but felt floppy when I dropped the pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love the BFL on the LM's. Basically, they give you more sidewall than anything else (great for singletrack), which means they have to flex more at low PSI and cause significantly more resistance because of it, IMO. BFL's will get you 4.5" on the ground, but if you're looking for something easy rolling at low PSI, I'd go with the widest rim possible (ie 100mm) and the biggest tire that'll fit in the frame (whichever "3.8" works best for you) to get you max width and height without too much deflection.