mtbr member
    Apr 2013

IGH and Gates -- Which Fat Bike?

I'm looking at building a bike with an IGH and a gates belt drive --- which bike should I look at? I'm thinking either a Ventana Comandante or a fat bike like the 907 135 with sliders or a fat back 170 with the rocker drops -- thoughts?

Use: commuting, touring, plan on the great divide trail.

I'm 5'11" with a 33.5" junk to floor inseam.

mtbr member
    I'd have thought a Large 135mm 9:zero:7 would be just the thing. Does the Fatback have a 170-135 reducer and a split seatstay?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    I'd have thought a Large 135mm 9:zero:7 would be just the thing. Does the Fatback have a 170-135 reducer and a split seatstay?

Yes --- the aluminum rockers split and slide for tension and belt feeding. Fatback Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think twenty2cycles.com has a certified gates drive Rholoff frame. Other custom builders like Black Sheep, Schlick, Reeb, Carver, as well as Fatback, and the 907 SS frame mentioned above.
    I'm sure there are many more custom frame builders I didn't mention too. those are just the ones that came to mind right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Schlick Northpaw is a definite contender -- love the paragon drops.
    Reeb -- looks good too - just scan on details from a quick check
    Carver Ti O'Beast -- crazy cheap for a Ti Bike! Not sure if the 170mm spacing will work with a 135mm igh

The BlackSheep and twent2cycles are nice -- but the frame alone would cost more than entire builds from the others -- and I just am not a good enough rider to appreciate that yet.

I should add that this is going to be my first MTB since I was 10. I did all sorts of road cycling/touring -- deployed and stopped riding. I tried to get back into it but I got tired of pounding out miles mindlessly on pavement while dodging cars. So I'm not into the technical ins and outs of everything off the road.

I am going to get fit -- that's my carry over from the road bikes -- I was faster on a steel framed simple bike than my titanium wonder because it was fit to me...
    Last edited by MrMcFeely; 04-29-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you want custom fit and don't want to spend a whole lot of money, the Carver Ti will probably be the same price as most steel bikes. This is possible because they can custom build them overseas. It will be the 2011 model that is limited somewhat in tire width though.

I guess you could get fitted to a standard frameset like the 907, or fatback too, but it may be more of a compromise. For me, I would like a taller head tube, while keeping standover height low on a fairly long top tube, so on a stock frame I end up with a longer, higher rise stem and spacer stack on a medium frame, unless the large has a low standover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    If you want custom fit and don't want to spend a whole lot of money, the Carver Ti will probably be the same price as most steel bikes. This is possible because they can custom build them overseas. It will be the 2011 model that is limited somewhat in tire width though.
    Comfort, Fun, and Reliability/Easy maintenance are the objectives --- if one of the off the shelf geometries work I might look at them - otherwise Carver seems to be the best for custom one offs unless Ventana gets a semi-custom option available.