Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm If money was not object, what do you get a moonlander or a necro...

Necrowhatever you call them..

Keep in mind I like the "Mountain bike" feel other than that I will be riding in Utah snow most of the time (In my head I don't see riding when is not snowing for now at least)

Thanks as usual for the invaluable advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was wondering the same thing but for regular trail riding.

mtbr member
    Moonlander. Why the hell not?

It's what I did. I'm not doing long remote expeditions or swapping wheels all the time or any of that. I wanted a fat bike. So I got one. No regrets.

It's another horse in the barn for me, it's not my only horse, but it is the funnest horse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Necro. Been doing 16-20mile rides 2500+ foot climb rides on the necro .
    I get on my super light carbon superbly and wish I was on the fat bike. Tons of traction and lots of fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrisp View Post
    Necro. Been doing 16-20mile rides 2500+ foot climb rides on the necro
    .Why did you get the Necro and not the moonlander...??
    I get on my super light carbon superbly and wish I was on the fat bike. Tons of traction and lots of fun
    I also have a superfly that I love (Hate trek but love the bike) so I look forward for something even more fun..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblestrip View Post
    Moonlander. Why the hell not?

It's what I did. I'm not doing long remote expeditions or swapping wheels all the time or any of that. I wanted a fat bike. So I got one. No regrets.

It's another horse in the barn for me, it's not my only horse, but it is the funnest horse.
    I have plenty of bikes to ride, in fact I don't even ride them all (fancy expensive Vintage stuff) so is not like I'm going to be changing rims or wheels on it I just take a different bike.

Riding for days, NoPe I can not do that, we just got a new baby so my time allowance is only about 2hours at the most, so I need to make it count..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I a riding it cross country in the mountains of NM. Don't need the 4.7 tire on the rear( Necro uses the same fork as the moony and will run a 4.7 upfront). I drilled my Daryl's, set them up tubless and converted to a 1/9. Lighter than a moony, fast, accelerates great, and plows through rocks. No grace or skill riding point it and pedal!

I would save the money between a Necro and a moony and use it to upgrade brakes and maybe upgrade the shifters and go to a 10 speed cassette

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrisp View Post
    I a riding it cross country in the mountains of NM. Don't need the 4.7 tire on the rear( Necro uses the same fork as the moony and will run a 4.7 upfront). I drilled my Daryl's, set them up tubless and converted to a 1/9. Lighter than a moony, fast, accelerates great, and plows through rocks. No grace or skill riding point it and pedal!

I would save the money between a Necro and a moony and use it to upgrade brakes and maybe upgrade the shifters and go to a 10 speed cassette
    Oh I'm thinking of only getting the frame, rims and tires, the rest of the parts I already have (xtr most of it, XT Top mount shifters) the bottom bracket I'm thinking a square taper Phil wood so I can run some of my old and super dependable M900's (if they fit if not old XT's or suntour XC-pro compact drive) if not does pretty red raceface cranks I saw somewhere for cheap..

mtbr member
    Necro.

I entertained the thought of a moonie but it was overkill 99% of the time.

And now that I have the necro, 4" endo flat tread works much better for me than the rounded 5" offerings out there, so I think I wouldn't have liked the moonie as much and might have even regretted it after a while.

The 4" platform has been around for many years and there are more options out there for upgrades and add ons than the moonie currently has.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Right now? Since winter (if I end up getting to call it that) is a short time away?

Moonlander.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Desert RAT
    If money was not an issue, I would buy both! But it is, so I'll stick with my necro!

Nuts
    If money was no object I wouldn't buy either one!
    And I love beer!!

Geordie biker
    If your riding snow quite a bit......you want the moony
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If money was no object I wouldn't buy either one!
    Lets say I can get a really good deal from QBP, but not from the other companies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So what are the differences, Yes I study the geometry numbers, but do they have wider chainstays/seatstays and a widder bottom bracket is require, is that all..

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Lets say I can get a really good deal from QBP, but not from the other companies.
    Oh I understand completely, go Moonie for snow!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Neither if cost doesn't drive your decision. I'd buy a Blacksheep. This is assuming we are limited to rigid. Which most of you are. Fortunately I am not

add: I remembered that BS makes bikes with rear suspension using a "flex" link. So not limited to rigid after all. BS are baaaad ass
    Last edited by modifier; 08-29-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    I wondered the same thing.. and then went with the Moonie.. and I'm glad I did.

DJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ti Mukluk cause thats what i have

mtbr member
    For your question - riding in snow only I would deffo say go for the moonlander.

But......

You will soon want to ride it all the time, everywhere if you are like most of us here, so keeping that in mind, I would recommend the Necro. This is only because it give you more option to use different wheels in the rear & in general, is more adaptable to whatever you want to do with the bike in the future.
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would (and did) go with the necro, because where I am in Texas, we haven't seen Snow since '85, and the necro has more than enough tire for the trails and beaches I'll be riding it on in my neck of the woods.

Dirt Huffer
    Go custom and have someone weld up a Ti fat frame to your liking. Or, maybe even a custom carbon builder.

mtbr member
    I would say neither if money is no object. I feel there are significantly more advanced bikes then both those options.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    I just finished assembling my Moonlander last night. It's so effing RAD!

I went with the Moonlander because I already have a Giant Reign X1 all-mountain rig and a Surly Troll for [insert build here], so I needed a bike that would be a world apart from the other two. That's really all it boiled down to.

I realize the Neck Romancer is almost a Moonlander, but it's still not a Moonlander.

Go big or go home!

I really hate that saying. lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    For your question - riding in snow only I would deffo say go for the moonlander.
    Yes that is my intention so far, but I'm willing to change my opinion when I get the bike

But......

You will soon want to ride it all the time, everywhere if you are like most of us here, so keeping that in mind, I would recommend the Necro. This is only because it give you more option to use different wheels in the rear & in general, is more adaptable to whatever you want to do with the bike in the future.

So what are the difference..

From what I understand the pug is offset 18mm in the rear when the moonlander is offset 24mm. is this correct...?

Again I have plenty of bikes to ride when is not snowing, are this things that fun on the dry that I will want to ride it year round..?

But then why change the wheels to narrower one..

Ps: I was thinking in building a 83mm set of rims since does 100mm are just to wide and also single wall, is that stupid..?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast