Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nice job.

I saw that you went out to TN for the Barkley, so fun, I lived in Oak Ridge TN for twenty years, ran ultras all over the region, know the Barkley folks well, use to run in Frozen Head all the time.

So, did you prefer running to riding on the ITI?
    I'm not convinced that riding is the most efficient or easiest. Foot travel is the simplest and often the most efficient, of course we are on a biking forum
    Biking is more efficient. The runners can stay in the lead only in very high snow years and only for about the first 165 miles (through Rainy Pass) after that the physics of wheels v. feet ensures that the bikers always win. The ride down the Dalzell Gorge in 2016 during the race was the best mountain biking I have ever done in my life. It was fun, beautiful, and exotic. The experiences of riding and doing it on foot are really too different to say which I prefer. The biking can be more thrilling, but also more frustrating. The foot race can be harder or easier in sections depending on conditions. Overall, I liked both modes but for different reasons. [P.S. I loved Frozen Head park and am going back again in the fall for the foot race there.]
    Last edited by Lars_D; 03-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, I could see the advantages when riding solid surfaces where you can maintain some speed.

Frozen is awesome, the Barkley is quite the race, the Fun Lap is oh so fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Biking is more efficient. The runners can stay in the lead only in very high snow years and only for about the first 165 miles (through Rainy Pass) after that the physics of wheals v. feet ensures that the bikers always win. The ride down the Dalzell Gorge in 2016 during the race was the best mountain biking I have ever done in my life. It was fun, beautiful, and exotic. The experiences of riding and doing it on foot are really too different to say which I prefer. The biking can be more thrilling, but also more frustrating. The foot race can be harder or easier in sections depending on conditions. Overall, I liked both modes but for different reasons. [P.S. I loved Frozen Head park and am going back again in the fall for the foot race there.]

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Here is a link to my race report for the 350. I was a foot racer this year so it's not directly on point, but it may give you some feeling for what the conditions were like out there during part of the race.

https://larsdanner.blogspot.com/2018...roduction.html
    Nice write-up, Lars! Congrats on finishing the 350 again.

I participated in the 130 mile distance, and somehow even managed to find myself in first place (of the 130 mile racers) at the finish line in Finger Lake. I hope to finish up a race report from the perspective of an ITI rookie, Colorado resident, and first-time Alaska visitor, and will be sure to post a link once itís finished.

Irrespective of where I finished on the results list, it was an amazing experience. A truly incredible group of racers, race staff, and volunteers. Not to mention the kind locals providing food, moral support, and a warm place to crash for a couple of hours and dry some gear. For anyone who is thinking about racing in this event, I highly recommend taking the plunge if you have sufficient winter experience.

It doesnít look like Iíll be able to return to give the 350 a shot next year, but hopefully the stars will align in 2020. I know my thoughts will not stray far from the Iditarod Trail between now and then.

Cheers,

Dennis

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by DStaley View Post

I participated in the 130 mile distance, and somehow even managed to find myself in first place (of the 130 mile racers) at the finish line in Finger Lake. I hope to finish up a race report from the perspective of an ITI rookie, Colorado resident, and first-time Alaska visitor, and will be sure to post a link once itís finished.

Irrespective of where I finished on the results list, it was an amazing experience. A truly incredible group of racers, race staff, and volunteers. Not to mention the kind locals providing food, moral support, and a warm place to crash for a couple of hours and dry some gear. For anyone who is thinking about racing in this event, I highly recommend taking the plunge if you have sufficient winter experience.

It doesnít look like Iíll be able to return to give the 350 a shot next year, but hopefully the stars will align in 2020. I know my thoughts will not stray far from the Iditarod Trail between now and then.

Cheers,

Dennis
    Great work, Dennis! I plan to eventually get back on the trail on my bike, but I have a few more things to accomplish before I do so. In any case, I hope to see you out there in 2020.
    --Peace

Elitest thrill junkie
    My hat's off to runners, it seems like it'd be running through mashed potatoes or loose sand for a majority of it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~9pm
    • Jay Petervary is out of Kaltag, over halfway to Tripod Flats, currently ~60 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Philip Hofstetter has under nine miles left to Eagle Island.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback are ~2/3 of the way from Anvik to Grayling.
    • Adam Erritozoe and Kyle Durand are nearing halfway between Shageluk and Anvik.
    • Tim Hewitt is out of Shageluk, heading to Anvik, nearly quarter-way there.
    • Troy Szczurkowski shows as stationary at Shageluk.
    • Toni Lund and Craig Bullen are over 2/3 from Iditarod to Big Yentna, with Peter Ripmaster around the halfway, and Beat Jegerlehner around the quarter-way.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is out of McGrath, past Takotna and ~2/3 of the way to Ophir.

I can't look at the weather as my source site isn't coughing up METAR data for any of the reporting sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Toni and Craig were within 1000', then headed NNW?
    They shortly turned around and went back to the main trail. Then a short distance past Moose Creek, they reversed for a bit and then went off the trail to the stop. Must have been some interesting trail/weather conditions.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~2:30am

Beat Jegerlehner stopped for less than two hours and was back on the move again. Currently nine miles to go to Big Yentna.

Everyone else is stopped.

• Jay Petervary at Tripod Flats around a half hour ago.
    • Philip Hofstetter at 8.7 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback are in Grayling.
    • Kyle Durand pulled into Anvik around an hour ago.
    • Adam Erritozoe shows as stopped on the trail ~13 miles out from Anvik.
    • Tim Hewitt is stopped on the trail ~18 miles out from Anvik.
    • Troy Szczurkowski shows as stationary at Shageluk.
    • Toni Lund and Craig Bullen are in Big Yentna, with Peter Ripmaster having arrived there around 15 minutes ago.
    • Klaus Schweinberger in Ophir ~two hours ago.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yesterday's Sea Ice Analysis
    The sea ice by Unalakleet is classed as 7-8 Tenths pack until North past Egavik, where it is classed as 9-10 Tenths pack to Shaktoolik and beyond.
    9-10 Tenths pack continues North around the corner into Norton Bay, and doesn't hit Fast Ice until past Ungalik (which is East of Reindeer Code and Little Mountain, where the race route goes from Shaktoolik to Little Mountain to Koyuk).

Sat images
    Due to cloud cover, can't check for open water on the North side of Norton Sound. Scattered cloud over Unalakleet makes it difficult, but the 7-8 Tenths pack there looks an awful lot like open water to me.

I haven't got METAR data yet, but surface maps suggest that temps have dropped some in Norton Sound from what they were a few days ago.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~4:44am

23 dog sleds are past Iditarod and one is past Shageluk.

I see that the following are up and moving:
    • Philip Hofstetter
    • Adam Erritozoe
    • Tim Hewitt
    • Beat Jegerlehner

Given the somewhat lower temperatures and the dog sleds moving through, I'm guessing that they're up and moving to take advantage of trails that are are somewhat easier to move on (or even find) than they've been in recent days.

~edit
    Phil was < 2 mph
    Adam was > 4 mph
    Tim & Beat were over 2 mph
    So trails for Adam, Tim and Beat had to have been better than recent days...
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-09-2018 at 08:54 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Easier source of weather observations.

Alaska Aviation Weather Unit (AAWU)
    See weather observation data from airports in Alaska.
    www.weather.gov/aawu
    Then hover over "Current Conditions", then click on "Surface Observations (Map)".
    Click to check "Show popup on hover:".
    Zoom and hover on airport to see latest observations, 24 hr min/max.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-aawu-observations-example.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~10:30 am

• Jay Petervary moving, just out of Tripod Flats.
    • Philip Hofstetter moving, just out of Eagle Island.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback are in Grayling.
    • Adam Erritozoe & Kyle Durand are in Anvik.
    • Tim Hewitt is ~7 miles out from Anvik.
    • Troy Szczurkowski left Shageluk, went North up the winter trail to the airport where he took a short break (right in line with the short taxi-way to the active; you can just make him out at rest through the trees in two frames of the west-cam) before going NW across the river.
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster are in Big Yentna.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is moving out of Ophir.

update
    Troy Szczurkowski crossed the Innoko River and headed North up its smaller West channel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    update
    Troy Szczurkowski crossed the Innoko River and headed North up its smaller West channel.
    Shortcut from Shageluk to Grayling?

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-ts-north-out-shageluk.jpg

This place needs an enema
    Shortcut from Shageluk to Grayling?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS North out of Shageluk.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1186690

Yes. I'm not "up" on the rules, but I thought you had to check in and out of every checkpoint? I.e. Anvik. I know that you can take any trail you want to transit between them, but you can't actually skip them.

I might be out of date on that -- it's definitely the way things used to be.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yes. I'm not "up" on the rules, but I thought you had to check in and out of every checkpoint? I.e. Anvik. I know that you can take any trail you want to transit between them, but you can't actually skip them.

I might be out of date on that -- it's definitely the way things used to be.
    Yes, the current Athlete's Guide says you have to pass through Anvik. There is no sign in sheet, but you have to go through each designated place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2011
    He headed out around 9:30am, and stopped ~2:00pm, six miles NNW of Shageluk, ~eight mile course.
    Around an hour later and moving again, he's just logged two points, 2:58pm and 3:02, backtracking his route by around 850'.

update
    And the next point is 3:07pm, heading West back towards his resting point.
    Then 3:12pm, around 600' West of his resting point.
    Next was 3:17pm, 30' North of the last.

Where he headed West: the sat image shows a westward trail there over to another of the many loops of the river, so perhaps he was following where a sled had gone through there.

And 3:32pm he's backtracked again, nearly 1400' East of his resting point.
    3:37pm, continuing to backtrack towards Shageluk.

And Jay Petervary was in at Old Woman Cabin around 3:09pm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~4pm
    • Jay Petervary at Old Woman Cabin since ~3:09pm.
    • Philip Hofstetter moving, nearly 1/5 of the way from Eagle Island to Kaltag.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback showing recently paused, 1/5 of the way from Grayling to Eagle Island.
    • Adam Erritozoe & Kyle Durand are around 1/3 of the way from Anvik to Grayling.
    • Tim Hewitt has been at Anvik since a little after 1:00pm.
    • Troy Szczurkowski continues his backtrack towards Shageluk, after spending some time NNW up the river, making significantly better time returning that he did heading out.
    • Toni Lund & Craig Bullen are, and Beat Jegerlehner Peter Ripmaster nearly, past the halfway from Big Yentna to Shageluk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger out of Ophir, moving with less than 10 miles to Tolstoi.

So of course Jay headed out for Unalakleet, logging his first point at 4:11pm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Troy continues backtracking.

Looks like Tim's tracker caught a plane at Holy Cross around 5:50pm, down to Aniak.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~12:30am
    • Jay Petervary arrived at Unalakleet at 12:30am, race time of 12:10:30.
    • Philip Hofstetter resting, 3/10 of the way from Eagle Island to Kaltag.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback moving, less than 13 miles left to Eagle Island.
    • Adam Erritozoe & Kyle Durand are in Grayling.
    • Beat Jegerlehner, Craig Bullen, Peter Ripmaster, Toni Lund & Troy Szczurkowski are at Shageluk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is in Tolstoi.

Tim Hewitt shows down at Aniak airport.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    March 9, 2018 sea ice

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-sea-ice-mar-9-2018-sm.gif

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~8:00am
    • Jay Petervary at Unalakleet.
    • Philip Hofstetter starting moving not too long after 2am, with some rests, currently ~37 miles to Kaltag.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback, after a rest during the night, started out just before 6:30am and are about to arrive at Eagle Island.
    • Adam Erritozoe & Kyle Durand are in Grayling.
    • Beat Jegerlehner, Craig Bullen, Peter Ripmaster, Toni Lund & Troy Szczurkowski are at Shageluk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger left Tolstoi around 5:10am this morning, currently ~35 miles from Moose Creek.

Tim Hewitt still showing at Aniak airport.

Anchorage, AK
    Tim scratched. He was running out of time away from work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~9:00pm
    • Jay Petervary moving < 5 miles to Shaktoolik, over 100 mile lead.
    • Philip Hofstetter, moving < 3 miles to Kaltag.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback, moving < 22 miles to Kaltag.
    • Craig Bullen is past Grayling, moving < 52 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Adam Erritozoe, Kyle Durand, Toni Lund & Troy Szczurkowski are in Grayling.
    • Peter Ripmaster is moving, out of Anvik, ~17 miles to Grayling.
    • Beat Jegerlehner has left Anvik for Grayling some minutes ago.
    • Klaus Schweinberger moving ~12 miles from Moose Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know it was a slim chance, but I was hoping to catch Jay on the av web cams coming into Shaktoolik. The SE images at 21:32, 21:42 & 21:52 show his light on the way in. None of the images from the South cam or NW cam show him coming in, but to catch someone with snapshots every ten minutes is rare.

His tracker's last report was 9:47:13pm, showing 5.1 mph less than 2000' to the edge of town, so he likely blew right past the cameras...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~7:40am
    • Jay Petervary at Shaktoolik (tracker last reported just outside of town).
    • Philip Hofstetter moving > 5 mph!, a mile+ out of Kaltag heading for Unalakleet.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback, moving < 1 miles to Kaltag (5 & 6 mph!).
    • Craig Bullen is stopped ~4:20 hours ago, < 14 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Adam Erritozoe is moving 7.5 mph!, 28 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Toni Lund & Troy Szczurkowski, slightly old reports, are moving over 7 mph!, < 37 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Kyle Durand, Peter Ripmaster and Beat Jegerlehner are in Grayling.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is in Moose Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jay Petervary reached Little Mountain and has headed out again. With four tracking points it shows that instead of the usual NNE course he's headed out ENE towards Ungalik. I'm thinking this is due to the ice pack as reported in #108 above.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~8:00pm
    • Jay Petervary has ~5 miles to go to Koyuk, travelling NNW. Shaktoolik showing -2F (-19C) 12 knots NNE, windchill -21F; Koyuk showing 7F (-14C) 6 knots NNW, windchill -6F.
    • Philip Hofstetter is past Old Woman with ~27 miles left to Unalakleet.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback are < 3 miles to Old Woman Cabin, ~37 miles left to Unalakleet.
    • Adam Erritozoe, Kyle Durand, Troy Szczurkowski & Toni Lund are moving on the river, ~40 miles to go to Kaltag.
    • Craig Bullen is also moving on the river, ~52 miles to Kaltag.
    • Peter Ripmaster is on the river with ~21 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Beat Jegerlehner on river with ~35 miles to Ealge Island.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is in Iditarod.

Kaltag is showing 14F (-10C) 0 knots.

Seems with so many sleds having passed them (pack the trail?) and colder temps, people are moving significantly faster today.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    8:30pm and Jay is < 3 miles to Koyuk.
    We get our first look at the Sea Ice influenced route from Shaktoolik to Little Mountain to Koyuk.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-shaktoolik-koyuk-2018.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is it just sea-ice or where the previous tracks have been laid down by snow-machine? I'd think it's a little of both, right? As in, if there's no track, but the sea-ice is ok, you still aren't going that way?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know I'd only go on the snow-machine track, and only as long as I felt it was safe. I'd not break a trail.

I assume he's found and is on the majority/easiest track of the snow-machines.

• The sat photos (few recent) show the reflection of water jutting into Norton Bay from Norton Sound.
    • In the images on Feb 4 to 5, you can see the difference between the Fast Ice in the bay vs. the Pack Ice. You can also see the pack ice moving out of the bay. (Feb 4 is in the first post of this thread)
    • After that, there's too much cloud cover to get a clear view to differentiate between Fast Ice against the shore and Pack Ice up against the Fast Ice.
    • On Feb 11 to 12, you can see a large piece of the Pack Ice has gone free and is moving out of the bay.
    • The March 10th image seems to suggest that the Pack Ice has frozen to the Fast Ice from Little mountain - BUT I Would Not Rely Upon That: the cloud cover could easily be making the Pack Ice there look better than it is. What matters is what those on the ground experienced in Ice Crossing determine.
    • I don't know where the IronDog had issues with water coming up over the ice. F
    • The Ice Desk shows the 9-10 Tenths pack ice going up past Shaktoolik, East into Norton Bay, past Little Mountain and East to Ungalik. That seems to reflect the Feb 4 & 5 images; I don't know if they have better sat images to use to confirm that, but their map for Norton Bay hasn't changed.

I imagine we'll get a better idea if Jay posts something on the subject once he's in Koyuk.

I've done some overlays of Jay's track. Will post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Overlay of Jay's 2018 track from Shaktoolik to near Koyuk.

(rough fits, due to different projections)

Onto Sunday March 11, 2018 Ice Desk Sea Ice Concentration.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-jay-track-march-11-2018-ice-desk.jpg

Onto Feb 8, 2018 sat image.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-jay-track-feb-8-2018-ice.jpg

Onto March 10, 2018 sat image.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-jay-track-feb-10-2018-ice.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    noon
    • Jay Petervary out of Koyuk, past Kwik River ~17 miles to Elim.
    • Philip Hofstetter shown as stopped around a mile North of the Unalakleet airport.
    • Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback appear to be leaving Unalakleet.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, and Troy Szczurkowski are in Kaltag.
    • Toni Lund is ~1 mile shy of Kaltag, and Adam Erritozoe around ~3 miles.
    • Peter Ripmaster is on the river with ~6 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Beat Jegerlehner on river with ~12 miles to Eagle Island.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is out of Iditarod, < 13 miles to Big Yentna.

Elim is showing 16F 12 knots from North, windchill 2F.
    Shaktoolik is showing 10F 21 knots from the North, windchill -10F.
    Kaltag is showing 21F 5 knots from NNE, windchill 12F.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    8pm
    • Jay Petervary in Elim.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback at Foothills.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Troy Szczurkowski, Toni Lund & Adam Erritozoe in Kaltag.
    • Peter Ripmaster last track point 24 minutes ago on the river ~1 mile North of Eagle Island, at Beat Jegerlehner's last track point as of three hours ago.
    • Klaus Schweinberger at Big Yentna.

Golovin: not reporting.
    Elim: 13F (-10.6C) 8 knots from North.
    Shaktoolik: 11F (-11.7C) 18 knots from the North.
    Unalkleet: 23F (-5C) 3 knots from NW.
    Kaltag: 26F (-3.3C) 0 knots.
    Shageluk: 29F (-1.7C) 0 knots.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:30am changes

As per their site, two mushers into Elim, one left at 1:04am. Safe to say mushers move into lead.

• Jay Petervary left Elim ~12:49am AKST. He's on land, heading along the coast towards Walla Walla. Last point 1:14am, 40.2 miles to White Mountain.
    • Peter Ripmaster and Beat Jegerlehner's are on the river out of Eagle Island, ~55 miles to Kaltag.
    • Klaus Schweinberger moved out from Big Yetna ~1:05am.

Golovin: not reporting
    Elim: 10F (-12C) 5 knots from 360.
    Shaktoolik: 11F (-11.7C) 17 knots from 20.
    Kaltag: 25F (-3.9C) 0 knots.
    Anvik: 27F (-3C) 9 knots from 30.
    Shageluk 28F (-2C) 4 knots from 20.

Earlier today, on the av cams I saw some of the sleds coming into Shaktoolik and a pair heading out. Various lights coming from SE in during the dark, but impossible to tell what they're on.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    4:30am
    • Jay Petervary bypassed Walla Walla, tracked to the North of Mt Kwiniuk. Currently going up over the Kwiktalik Mountains to McKinley Creek and Golovnin Bay. McKinley Creek and Golovin ahead, 29 miles to White Mountain.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback left Foothills for Shaktoolik just as/after I was making my last update, with their 1st points between 1:36am and 1:39am. Around six miles to Shaktoolik.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Troy Szczurkowski, Toni Lund & Adam Erritozoe in Kaltag.
    • Beat Jegerlehner's last track point at 2:26am on the river ~13 miles North of Eagle Island, 52.2 miles to Kaltag.
    • Peter Ripmaster's last track point at 1:11am, 55.4 miles to Kaltag.
    • Klaus Schweinberger continued out of Big Yentna and is 19 miles from Shageluk.

With the sat photos showing open water so close to the shore along Elim and Walla Walla, I was wonder what the route would be. Trackleaders shows JP's track going inland once a couple of miles out of Elim, bypassing the sea ice and Walla Walla. Went North of Mt Kwiniuk, then once past Walla Walla ~3 miles, back to the trail shown on Trackleaders.

screenshot: JP's track going inland once a couple of miles out of Elim

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-jp-track-out-elim-bypassing-sea-ice-walla-walla-2018.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback heading for Shaktoolik: METAR data shows 19 knots from 10, 12F (-11.1C), windchill -7F.

Golovin still not reporting.
    Elim showing 8 knots from 360, 13F (-10.6C) (no windchill given).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    7:00am
    • Jay Petervary passed McKinley Creek to its North. Golovin ahead nearly due West, 20 miles to White Mountain.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback in Shaktoolik around 7:00am.
      Heading into Shaktoolik in the dark, their headlights where showing on the SE av-cam since 6:56 AKDT. Unfortunately, the last frame with them was at 7:56 AKDT as two of them slipped out of the frame on the lower right a few moments from being in Shaktoolik... no one caught under the nice South light/cam.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's still at their last points on the river.
    • Klaus Schweinberger has progressed to 16.4 miles from Shageluk.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    12:00pm
    Jay Petervary is less than 4 miles to White Mountain.
    We might have a slim chance of seeing him arrive, if he sticks to the river and doesn't cut over land to the streets, or perhaps even on the streets.
    Except, someone is playing with the school's web cam, so we see the usual river view, or the dog sleds that are in, or the school wall, or the ground, or the sky, ...
    https://www.webviewcams.com/america/...iditarod-trail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~9:00pm

Nome: 0 knots, 9F (-12.8C).

• Jay Petervary shown ascending from Rock Creek through 200', <2 miles until he's up and over ~500', then shortly on the steep of the descent to Topcock Cabin. Showing 24.5 miles to Safety.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback in Shaktoolik; 3 knots from 330, 18F (-8C).
    • Troy Szczurkowski, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe, Craig Bullen, track points/times too close together to order, are past Old Woman Cabin, showing ~24.5 miles to Unalakleet; 11 knots from 230, 19F (-7C).
    • Toni Lund close behind showing ~30 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's are on the river, showing ~26 miles to Kaltag; 0 knots, 29F (-1.7C).
    • Klaus Schweinberger left Shageluk around 5:30pm, showing ~21 miles to Anvik; 5 knots from 240, 25F (-4C).

Nome finish cam is working again, and the finish is occupied by those meeting the dog sleds coming in.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    9:28
    Jay on the descent.
    Will be in mph or fps?

update: 09:34:29 PM, at Topcock Cabin...

22.8 miles to Safety

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nome: 10 pm AKST (11pm AKDT), 0 knots, 2F (-16.7C), visibility 10 statue miles, scattered cloud 3000' AGL.

Sea Ice, Nome to Elim, Feb 27 to March 12, 2018

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-sea-ice-nome-elim-feb27-mar-12-2018-sm.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:00am AKST

Nome: 6 knots from 290, 4F (-15.6C).

• Jay Petervary between Topcock Cabin and Safety, 3.6 mph with ~12 miles to Safety.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback left Shaktoolik around 10:15pm. Approaching Reindeer Cove, on the way to Little Mountain and Koyuk; 0 knots, 12F (-11.1C), visibility 2 stat miles.
    • Troy Szczurkowski, Adam Erritozoe, Kyle Durand, Craig Bullen, between ~9 and ~11 miles to Unalakleet; 10 knots from 230, 17F (-8.3C).
    • Toni Lund showing ~17 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's stopped on the edge of the river around 10:25, showing ~25 miles to Kaltag; 9 knots from 230, 24F (-4.4C).
    • Klaus Schweinberger left Shageluk around 5:30pm, showing ~18 miles to Anvik; no current reading (5 knots from 240, 25F (-4C)).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sad that the local "news" channels refuse to cover this at all, it's all about dogs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Sad that the local "news" channels refuse to cover this at all, it's all about dogs.
    Tourist $ and/or Sponsor $ ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    6:00am AKST

• Jay Petervary at Safety since 3:39am.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback left Shaktoolik around 10:15pm. Past Little Mountain, initially on the same track as Jay to the East and then North a bit, but they're now travelling NNW on the sea ice instead of following the track Jay did North to land. Showing ~15 miles to go to Koyuk.
    • Troy Szczurkowski, Kyle Durand & Craig Bullen in Unalakleet.
    • Toni Lund stopped ~ 17 miles and Adam Erritozoe ~10 miles out from Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's stopped on the edge of the river around 10:25, showing ~25 miles to Kaltag.
    • Klaus Schweinberger left Shageluk around 5:30pm, and is stopped showing ~18 miles to Anvik.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    6:00am AKST

• Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback left Shaktoolik around 10:15pm. Past Little Mountain, initially on the same track as Jay to the East and then North a bit, but they're now travelling NNW on the sea ice instead of following the track Jay did North to land. ...
    Here's their tracks overlaid on the ice of February 8th, compared to Jay's on the right/East.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-koyuk-ice-feb-8-2018.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~10:30am AKST (11:30am AKDT)
    • Jay Petervary leaving Safety, moving 5 mph.
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback are in Koyuk. Arrived ~10:15am.
    • Troy Szczurkowski, Kyle Durand & Craig Bullen in Unalakleet.
    • Adam Erritozoe ~4 miles to go to Unalakleet.
    • Toni Lund started out around 8:55am, and just stopped ~9:55am, ~ 15 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's on the last bend to Kaltag, ~16 miles to go.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is halfway to Anvik from Shageluk, showing ~13 miles to go.

Nome finish cam is working Nome cam

Nome is 4 knots from 30, -6F (-21.1C).
    Koyuk is 0 knots, 14F (-10C).
    Unalakleet is 10 knots from 250, 12F (-11.1C).
    Kaltag is 7 knots from 230, 18F (-7.8C).
    Anvik is not reporting.
    Shagelulk is 6 knots from 210, 12F (-11.1C).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~12:38pm AKST (1:38pm AKDT)

Jay Petervary is around the Cape, on the straight stretch to Nome.
    Speeds between 2.4 and 8.7 mph.
    Tracker says 5 miles to go.

Nome finish cam is working Nome cam

Nome is 0 knots, -2F (-18.9C).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Last track point shows 4.1 miles to finish, and the tracker hasn't reported for 26 minutes...

They're cleaning up the TV lights at the finish.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well it updated. Now it's showing Jay as finished, 9000 feet shy of the finish.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jay Petervary finished in Nome.

(edit)(forgot the finish time)

16:23:45
    16 days, 23 hours 45 minutes

(webcam is showing AKDT, so shows an hour later than the AKST race times)

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-nomecamj1.jpg

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-nomecamj2.jpg

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-nomecamj12.jpg
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~7:00pm AKST (8:00pm AKDT)
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback out of Koyuk around 4:20pm. Currently ~36 miles to Elim.
    • Troy Szczurkowski less than a mile to Foothills, < 19 miles to Shaktoolik.
    • Kyle Durand & Craig Bullen are following, ~29 miles to Shaktoolik.
    • Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund are in Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner and Peter Ripmaster's are in Kaltag.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is in Anvik.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    3:45am AKST (4:45am AKDT)
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback arrived in Elim, just before 3:00am.
    • Troy Szczurkowski got into Shaktoolik just before 2:00am.
      (missed by the cam snapshots, and paused just past the pole with the cam, in the dark lower left...)
    • Craig Bullen at 10:07pm and Kyle Durand at 10:17pm, logged in Foothills (17.6 miles to Shaktoolik).
    • Adam Erritozoe logs heading out of Unalakleet at 3:31am with Toni Lund logged as heading out at 3:44am, around 40 miles to Shaktoolik.
    • Beat Jegerlehner left Kaltag just before 3:00am, currently ~75 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Peter Ripmaster is in Kaltag.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is in Anvik.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes!!!
    Finally.

Av-cam images.
    At Shaktoolik, March 14, 2018.

Best guess, this is Adam Erritzoe hidden behind the pole in the lower left.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-sh-15-mar-2018-10.32-akst-11.32-akdt.jpg

The track point location/times mean I can't tell if this one is Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand or Toni Lund.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-sh-15-mar-2018-12.54-akst-13.54-akdt.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes!!!
    Finally.

Av-cam images.
    At Shaktoolik, March 14, 2018.

Best guess, this is Adam Erritzoe hidden behind the pole in the lower left.

Name:	Sh 15 mar 2018 10.32 akst, 11.32 akdt.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	1187782

The track point location/times mean I can't tell if this one is Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand or Toni Lund.

Name:	Sh 15 mar 2018 12.54 akst, 13.54 akdt.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	1187783
    Nice work Canoe!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    7:00pm AKST (8:00pm AKDT)
    • Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback in White Mountain around 6pm.
      (Between them, of course they were just out of the av-cam snapshots in Golovin a number of times. If only it were even every five minutes...)
    • Troy Szczurkowski moving, off the sea ice, 8.4 miles to Koyuk.
    • Toni Lund just joined Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe at Little Mountain, where they got in around an hour ago. 30.1 miles to Koyuk.
    • Peter Ripmaster shown stopped less than a mile short of Old Woman Cabin, nearly an hour ago. 35.1 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner moving, 41.8 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Klaus Schweinberger shown at Grayling, since around two hours ago.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    Nice work Canoe!
    Sometimes it seems like the cams are teasing.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-airport-cams-teasing-me.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    12:40am AKST (1:40am AKDT)

• Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback left White Mountain, at or shortly after 12:00am.
      With the track points, I can't tell if anyone left first or if anyone is currently ahead. Latest point showing 45.6 miles to Safety.
    • Troy Szczurkowski got into Koyuk at 8:58pm.
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe at Little Mountain.
    • Peter Ripmaster is past Old Woman Cabin, stopped just after 12:00am with 21.6 miles left to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner in at Old Woman Cabin at 10:00pm, 34.4 miles to Unalakleet.
    • Klaus Schweinberger out of Grayling around 7:50pm, moving with ~44 miles to Eagle Island.
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-16-2018 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    4:55am AKST (5:55am AKDT)

Looks like Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback have less than a half mile left of the descent to Topcock Cabin, which is 22.8 miles from Safety.
    With the randomness of the logging of track points, I can't tell position.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    10:00am AKST (11:00am AKDT)

• Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback moving over halfway from Topcock Cabin to Safety, ~8 miles to Safety.
      Johnston's Camp (near Pine Creek, between Topcock & Safety): 28 knots NNE, 3F (-16C), winchill -22F.
      Nome: 5 knots from 360, -1F (-18.3C), windchill -5F.
    • Troy Szczurkowski left Koyuk for Elim around 9:20am. 41.8 miles to Elim.
      Koyuk: 3 knots from 0, 0F (-17.8C).
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe have headed out from Little Mountain to Koyuk. ~25 to ~27 miles to Koyuk.
      Shaktoolik: 29 knots from 20, gusting 32, -4F (-20C), windchill -32F.
    • Peter Ripmaster < 10 miles left to Unalakleet.
      Unalakleet: 5 knots from 140, -7F (-21.7C).
    • Beat Jegerlehner past Old Woman Cabin, 26.5 miles miles to Unalakleet.
    • Klaus Schweinberger out of Grayling, resting for the past 2 3/4 hours at 36.4 miles to Eagle Island.
      Kaltag: 0 knots, -10F (-23.3C).
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking NE from Shaktoolik.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-shaktoolik-16-mar-2018.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    11:45am AKST (12:45pm AKDT)

Tracking looks like Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback arrived at Safety!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:00pm AKST (2:00pm AKDT)

Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback have each logged track points out of Safety heading for Nome!

Time of first points range from 12:26pm and 12:48pm. Locations vary, no way to tell who's leading vs. riding together, etc.. Most recent (1:01pm) is the closest and shows 17.7 miles to Nome.

• Troy Szczurkowski heading for Kwik River, showing 35.8 miles to Elim.
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe heading North on the sea ice to Koyuk. They appear to have paused around 10 minutes ago, ~19 miles to Koyuk.
    • Peter Ripmaster < 1 miles left to Unalakleet.
    • Beat Jegerlehner past Old Woman Cabin, ~20 miles miles to Unalakleet.
    • Klaus Schweinberger out of Grayling, ~35 miles to Eagle Island.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:00pm AKST (2:00pm AKDT)
    Philip Hofstetter, Jay Cable & Kevin Breitenback have each logged track points out of Safety heading for Nome!
    3:50pm

under 6000 feet to finish!

Nome cam

mtbr member
    May 2011
    First snapshot with bikes, looks like three bikes.

17:01:59 AKDT

Finish between 16:00:59 (no bikes) and 16:01:59 AKST (race time)

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-nome-2-3-4-mar-16-2018.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5:00pm AKST (6:00pm AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski at Kwik River.
      Elim: 17 knots from 20, gusting 21 knots, 5F (-15C), windchill -17F.
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe have done maybe 2/3 of the ice crossing route from Little Mountain to Koyuk. Showing ~13 miles to Koyuk.
      Koyuk: 14 knots from 360, gusting 23 knots, 4F (-15.6C), windchill -13F.
      Shaktoolik: 28 knots from 10, gusting 36 knots, 3F (-16.1C), windchill ~-23F, visibility 0.5 stat mile.
    • Peter Ripmaster at Unalakleet.
      Unalakleet: 6 knots from 180, 10F (-12.2C), windchill -1F.
    • Beat Jegerlehner ~10 miles miles to Unalakleet.
    • Klaus Schweinberger stopped since 4:07pm, ~29.5 miles to Eagle Island.
      Kaltag: 9 knots from 60, 14F (-10C), windchill 3F.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shaktoolik under 28 knots, gusting 36.

Shaktoolik

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-shaktoolik-28-gusting-36.jpg

Shaktoolik looking NE to trail to Little Mountain, Koyuk.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-shaktoolik-ne-trail-little-mountain-koyuk.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5:00pm AKST (6:00pm AKDT)
    • Elim: 17 knots from 20, gusting 21 knots, 5F (-15C), windchill -17F.
    • Toni Lund, Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe have done maybe 2/3 of the ice crossing route from Little Mountain to Koyuk. Showing ~13 miles to Koyuk.
      Koyuk: 14 knots from 360, gusting 23 knots, 4F (-15.6C), windchill -13F.
      Shaktoolik: 28 knots from 10, gusting 36 knots, 3F (-16.1C), windchill ~-23F, visibility 0.5 stat mile.
    From the latest assortment of their track points available at 5:28pm, it appears that Toni is ~2 miles behind the other three, with Shaktoolik visibility at 0.5 miles, 28 knots gusting 36 knots.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    First snapshot with bikes, looks like three bikes.
    17:01:59 AKDT
    Finish between 16:00:59 (no bikes) and 16:01:59 AKST (race time)
    From Iditarod Trail Invitational on facebook (link in first post; with lots of photos of the race so far):
    19 days 2 hours! Congratulations guys! They tie for second place! Phil's 5th finish, Jay's second.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    9:30pm AKST (10:30pm AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski over halfway from Kwik River to Moses Point.
      Elim: 17 knots from N, -9 (-23C), windchill -22F.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand and Adam Erritozoe back on land from Little Mountain to Koyuk, showing < 8 miles to Koyuk.
      Koyuk: 12 knots from N, gusting 18 knots, -8F (-22C), windchill -29F.
    • Toni Lund almost back on land, < 10 miles from Koyuk.
    • Peter Ripmaster and Beat Jegerlehner at Unalakleet.
      Unalakleet: 2 knots from NNE, -6F (-21C).
      Shaktoolik: 28 knots from N, -4F (-20C), windchill -32F, visibility 1.25 stat miles.
    • Klaus Schweinberger moving ~22 miles to Eagle Island.
      Kaltag: 4 knots from NE, 1F (-17C), windchill -9F.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    10:30am AKST (11:30am AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski took a 1.5 hour break on the trail before Moses Point, then his last track point is ~3000' shy of Elim at 6:54am.
    • Craig Bullen (12:19am), Kyle Durand (12:11am), Adam Erritozoe (12:16am) have track points on the ice in front of Koyuk and are in Koyuk, with Toni Lund (4:30am) arriving later.
      Adam's track points show an interesting track, crossing the ice at Koyuk slightly to its East at 11:50pm, then back onto the ice and arriving from the South.
    • Peter Ripmaster nearing Foothills on the way to Shaktoolik.
    • Beat Jegerlehner nearing 1/3 of the way to Foothills.
    • Klaus Schweinberger moving 13.5 miles to Eagle Island.

Elim: 15 knots from NNE, 10F (-12C), windchill -8F, Light Snow.
    Shaktoolik: 21 knots from N, -6F (-21C), windchill -24F.
    Kaltag: 5 knots from NE, 1F (-17C), windchill -11F.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You should see the posts at www.facebook.com/iditarodtrailinvitational/ for the 2nd place finish and to see what they're going through on the trail in those conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:30pm AKST (2:30pm AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski still shows as ~3000' shy of Elim.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund remain at Koyuk.
    • Peter Ripmaster passed Foothills and out into the continued headwind, 16.4 miles to Shaktoolik.
    • Beat Jegerlehner ~2/3 of the way to Foothills.
    • Klaus Schweinberger moving ~6 miles to Eagle Island.

Shaktoolik: 21 knots from N, 5F (-15C), windchill -15F.
    Kaltag: 6 knots from NNE, 7F (-14C), windchill -6F, light snow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1:30pm AKST (2:30pm AKDT)
    • Troy Szczurkowski still shows as ~3000' shy of Elim.
    Troy Szczurkowski has logged two track points leaving Elim, the first at 1:41pm.
    42 miles to White Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Amazing race! A bit off topic, but may I ask from you who have done these kind of races: is it necessary to have 4.8" tyres on 100mm rims to make optimal progress or can you cope with 3.8" tyres on 80 mm rims if you're a medium sized person?
    Last edited by Snow leopard; 03-18-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    One car less.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2:00am AKST (3:00m AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski's last track point shows him coming off the ice at Golovin at 1:39am.
    • I watched Beat Jegerlehner's light approaching Shaktoolik on the SE av-cam snapshots and he blew past them (too close for the SE view and not quite close enough for the S) and into Shaktoolik at 2.9 mph just before 2:00am.
    • Earlier Peter Ripmaster pulled into Shaktoolik at 7:26pm. (He would have been visible for some miles on the SE view, except weather blew in and killed visibility just as he came into range. In the last snapshot he would have been in, his track point puts him just out of sight due to visibility, and then he blew by the cams between snapshots and into Shaktoolik at 3.2 mph.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow leopard View Post
    Amazing race! A bit off topic, but may I ask from you who have done these kind of races: is it necessary to have 4.8" tyres on 100mm rims to make optimal progress or can you cope with 3.8" wheels on 80 mm rims if you're a medium sized person?
    I saw a small handful of folks on D4s, including the female winner of the 130, but most were on D5s (or similar) with 80mm+ rims. JayP was on 4.8s, I think the new HuDuís(?), not sure about his rim width but it was almost certainly 80+..

I was riding studded 4.6 WCs on 80mm Nexties, but I only did the 130 mile race. I plan on using a similar combo when I ride the 350. I personally would not want to be on anything smaller than 4.6.

Canoe- thanks for all the updates! Itís been fun watching this thread.

Edited to fix some typos

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting to see that the warming temperatures were due to some air scooped up north of Hawaii and brought north, a sliver of which was making it all the way to Norton Sound. That air stream is still sweeping the Aleutians, with a bit still leaking through and all the up to join the Yukon valley towards Kaltag. Norton Sound has pretty much lost the sliver of that air it was receiving and has switching over (with the a corresponding change in wind direction) to receiving air brought up from the southern tip of the Kamchatka Peninsula, in turn from off of Japan.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...162.466,64.007

On my computer, I can zoom in with the mouse scroll wheel.

In recent days while comparing the winds reported at the various Norton Sound locations, their model has been dead on. I haven't checked how well their predictive model did.

Click on "Earth" in the lower left, then on ">" under "Control" to advance the time of their model to see what their model expects the winds to do. You can also change the "Overlay" from Wind to Temp.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DStaley View Post
    ... Canoe- thanks for all the updates! Itís been fun watching this thread.
    Welcome.

But there's tons more, with photos and firsthand accounts (that I haven't republished (stolen) here), on the various links. Most (all?) links are in the first thread.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Interesting to see that the warming temperatures were due to some air scooped up north of Hawaii and brought north, a sliver of which was making it all the way to Norton Sound. That air stream is still sweeping the Aleutians, with a bit still leaking through and all the up to join the Yukon valley towards Kaltag. Norton Sound has pretty much lost the sliver of that air it was receiving and has switching over (with the a corresponding change in wind direction) to receiving air brought up from the southern tip of the Kamchatka Peninsula, in turn from off of Japan.
    Everything is melting and has been for days in South Central Alaska. I'm not sure it's been below zero here in days and I'm not sure when it's supposed to go back down. Snow is melting rapidly and the trails are soon going to be unridable due to punchy soft snow that collapses. That warm air has literally ended winter it seems.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Peter Ripmaster left Shaktoolik at 4:42am AKST.

We know this from his tracking.
    It shows he had to have headed SE down the main street of town, and he was just past the av-cam tower at 4:42:26am AKST when he turned left to the trail to the NNE to head out to Little Mountain.

Here's the screenshot of the tracking.
    You can even see the building at the base of the tower and the tower's shadow.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-pr-4.42am-leaving-shaktoolik.jpg

He was right in front of the NW cam. Then right in front of the South cam.
    Great images right?
    We get his tracks in the snow...

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-prs-tracks-leaving-shaktoolik-128.gif

p.s.
    At 8:15 AKSt, he's over 2/3 of the way to Little Mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    10:45am AKST (11:45am AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski showing at Golovin.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund showing as out of Koyuk, in or around 8:30am. Currently showing ~39 miles to Elim.
    • Peter Ripmaster left Foothills for Koyuk around 10:22am. Shortly will be on the sea ice.
    • Beat Jegerlehner left Shaktoolik for Little Mountain at 10:06am, ~43 miles to Koyuk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger, past Eagle Island, starting moving for Kaltag around 10:00am. Showing ~59 miles to Kaltag.

Beat Begerlehner heading out for Little Mountain.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-beat-jegerlehner-heading-out-little-mountain.jpg

Klaus Schweinberer's track points at the 10:00am start.

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2018-ks-10.01am-kaltag.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another MUST read.

It's real out there.

https://craigmedred.news/2018/03/17/two-saved/

When a trio of Iditarod Trail fat-tire cyclists fighting their way through a Seward Peninsula ground blizzard in the dark of the early moring Friday stumbled upon two mushers huddled behind dog sleds, they thought for a moment the worst.... Nobody stops in the blowhole. ... Behind the sleds, tucked down as best one could tuck down, they found two Iditarod mushers. ... ďWe tried to get them up,Ē Hofstetter said. He warned them ďyou got to get moving. You canít stop.Ē...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thatís quite the story, seems amazing that cyclists would save mushers and not the other way around. I wonder what happened to the dogs? I canít say exactly how Iíd react in that weather, but I think pushing the SOS would be a no-brainer, people in those situations (the mushers) are not thinking rationally when their bodies are shutting down. Phil definitely knows what heís doing, having done it so many times and living in Nome. Absolutely amazing story, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    In the article's comments, Craig says that the dogs made it out fine.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon777 View Post
    Thanks, I re-read it a few times but must have missed-it on the small display.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon777 View Post
    The dogs were fine - some Iditarod staff hooked them all together and mushed them to Nome behind a snowmachine. They passed me on the trail, and the dogs looked pretty happy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another MUST read.
    It's real out there.
    https://craigmedred.news/2018/03/17/two-saved/
    Article was updated since I first read it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~7:00am AKST (8:00am AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski out of White Mountain around 4:50am, after arriving around 7:50pm the day before. Currently off the Niukluk heading West, showing 43.8 miles to Safety.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund showing as past Kwik River, stopped on the trail since 10:20pm yesterday, 14.2 miles to Elim.
    • Peter Ripmaster left Foothills for Koyuk around 10:22am yesterday, arriving around 11:05pm yesterday. Currently in Koyuk.
    • Beat Jegerlehner left Little Mountain around 10:20pm yesterday. Currently on the sea ice heading North, 19 miles to Koyuk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is over halfway from Eagle Island to Kaltag, 31.3 miles to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Article was updated since I first read it.
    That article is a bit over the top - basically there were two mushers stuck in the blow hole, an area that can be really windy, and we helped them press their spots sos button, and locate their sat phone, which caused Nome search and rescue to respond. There wasn't much else we could do, though we did txt someone in town to contact the troopers to make sure help was coming. It is fantastic both mushers made it out unharmed.

This is what it looked like just before we ran into the mushers who were stuck - the person in grey is another musher who was having trouble finding the trail:
    Edit - I can't figure out how to embed the vimeo or facebook video properly, here is a link to the video on vimeo:

sluice box
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5:15pm AKST (6:15pm AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski is (pausing?) around two miles shy of starting the descent to Topcock.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund with various track-points suggesting they were underway by 9:30am?, currently showing 3.4 miles to Elim.
    • Peter Ripmaster left Koyuk ~9:20am, and is now maybe 3 miles shy of Kwik River, showing 26.1 miles to Elim.
    • Beat Jegerlehner shown arriving in Koyuk at 4:32pm. Track-points showing less than a 30 minute stop on the sea ice after leaving Little Mountain around 10:20pm yesterday.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is moving with 16.2 miles to to Kaltag. Reviewing the track-points, it looks like he's been moving near continuously since 10am yesterday.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    That article is a bit over the top - basically there were two mushers stuck in the blow hole, an area that can be really windy, and we helped them press their spots sos button, and locate their sat phone, which caused Nome search and rescue to respond. There wasn't much else we could do, though we did txt someone in town to contact the troopers to make sure help was coming. It is fantastic both mushers made it out unharmed.

This is what it looked like just before we ran into the mushers who were stuck - the person in grey is another musher who was having trouble finding the trail:
    Edit - I can't figure out how to embed the vimeo or facebook video properly, here is a link to the video on vimeo:
    That's where I have to wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to have a ResQlink and use that, rather than rely on the low-power and mid-latitude satellites of the SPOT. If you need a beacon to work for the prupose of rescue, 406mhz NOAA monitored seems like the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

A few photos..

A few photos from my ride to Nome...

Rainy Pass..
    ITI 2018

The road to Ophir..
    ITI 2018

Ophir to Iditarod (the site, not the trail)
    ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

Iditarod to Shageluk..
    ITI 2018

ITI 2018

Shageluk to Anvik..

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

The Iditarod trail breakers passed us 10 miles outside Shageluk, where we were bived waiting for them to arrive and break the trail.
    ITI 2018

The Yukon River..

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

The first mushers passed us on the Yukon..
    ITI 2018

ITI 2018

Kaltag to Unalakleet..

ITI 2018 by

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

Shaktoolik to Koyuk..
    ITI 2018

Koyuk to White Mountain..
    The trail took an overland route outside Koyuk and Elim adding a lot more climbing..
    ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

ITI 2018

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Because road is faster (less energy output) than trail. You take any freebies while you can.
    The road route is slightly longer (like 3 miles) than the shortest commonly known route, but has a lot less climbing, and is generally a lot faster than the other options. The skiers took an even shorter route, but it was apparently softer and has even more climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This year the route had lots of markers from the Iditasport, which takes the Hells Gate route. I think he just followed those blindly, and thus missed the turn off for Rainy Pass, and didn't turn around until a pilot dropped him a note saying he was off course.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Amazing photos!
    I love seeing those.

12:15am AKST (1:15am AKDT)

• Troy Szczurkowski paused at 5:08pm at California Creek. At 7:15pm he started the double top across to the descent to Topcock. Currently tracked as almost at the bottom, with a little over 2000' to Topcock.
      Johnson's Camp: 15 knots NNE, 23F (-5C), windchill -9F.
      Nome: 20 knots WNW, 18F (-8C), windchill 1F.
    • Craig Bullen, Kyle Durand, Adam Erritozoe and Toni Lund in Elim.
    • Peter Ripmaster in Kwik River.
    • Beat Jegerlehner in Koyuk.
    • Klaus Schweinberger is resting 12.3 to Kaltag.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Amazing photos Jay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and congratulations on making it to Nome!

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    The road route is slightly longer (like 3 miles) than the shortest commonly known route, but has a lot less climbing, and is generally a lot faster than the other options. The skiers took an even shorter route, but it was apparently softer and has even more climbing.
    The skiers and the most runners wound up taking the shorter route--it was actually firmer than the traditional foot route to Flathorn Lake. I know because I and a few other runners went about a half mile on the traditional foot route before deciding it was too soft.
    --Peace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast