mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?

Anybody have any experience with ican bikes carbon rims? They have a 65mm and 90mm wheel sets available and I emailed them on the availability of just buying the rims because their hubs donít fit my carbon Beargrease spacing. They quoted me $398 plus $70 shipping for a pair of 65mm rims.

Products_Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think I saw somebody over in the General Discussion forum had bought one of the wheel sets from that company. Might check over there. I think the thread was titled something like "Carbon fat bike", but I don't remember. It's a fairly recent thread. Paid $600 for complete wheels, which is darn cheap. He also bought a fork/frame from them for $600, so $1200 total for carbon rolling chassis. Cheap.

This place needs an enema
    At 23,000g for the set I think you can do better weight-wise...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    At 23,000g for the set I think you can do better weight-wise...
    Unless I am reading wrong, the 65mm wheel set is advertised at around 1970 grams. Respectable for 32 spokes. I wouldn't be likely to take the plunge, as I know nothing about this company, but $600 for a sub 2000 gram fat wheel set has got to be appealing.

The Nextie 65mm rims are advertised at about 100 grams less than these rims though. So you could shave a couple hundred grams in the rims, but the extra cost would be around $1.25 per gram just on the rims.

Course, there's always questionable hub quality, spokes, and wheel build quality that might eventually come with a price as well.

So I guess my point is really a question. With all these carbon rims coming available, what would be a decent weight for a 65mm carbon wheel set that is also reliable and durable and without breaking the bank? Maybe the 1700 gram range and at least $1200 I'd guess?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi
    I have been dealing with ican a little in the past week on pricing and specs
    Not sure how reputable the company is but they have a good rating on eBay if that means anything
    This is a copie of the last email I got from them

Hi Xxxx

the bottom bracket is BSA (120mm BB Shell).

1 The frame+ Fork+Headset.the price would be 640 USD.

2 a flat carbon base bar would be 30 USD.

3 Carbon seatpost would be 30 USD.

4 65mm wheelset and 2 through axles the price would be 555 USD.

About the shipping cost,the frame and other bike part can ship together,and the wheelset just can put into one box,so we will ship out 2 cartons,hope you understand that,and attached the photo of wheelset then you will understand.

the shippiing cost by frame and other parts will cost 80 USD.and the wheelset need 75 USD.

so if you want all the thing,then the price is 640+30+30+555+80+75=1410 USD.

Pls contact me if you have any questions.

Chen

So all up 1400 odd $$$$ and all you need is groupo and brakes and tyres
    I can get a XX1 fatbike group set and XT brakes for around $$1600
    $300 for a set of hudus
    Maybe add $600 for a set of I9 sweet hubs to match

So a complete carbon top speced fatbike for about $3.5k

I'd be all over this deal but I want a 170 rear end to match my lamere in case I want to swap wheel sets around and I think I prefer a 170 rear even though I haven't ever ridden a 190!!
    Cheers
    IP

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone one have any experience with the fatbike wheelsets from ican?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have purchased numerous frames from ICAN and it's worked out quite well. While you're ordering, you might want to throw in some spare hangers and maybe some water bottle cages (they're cheap and pretty decent).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I have purchased numerous frames from ICAN and it's worked out quite well. While you're ordering, you might want to throw in some spare hangers and maybe some water bottle cages (they're cheap and pretty decent).
    I'm actually looking to get one of their wheelsets. The 65mm ones. Anyone have any experience with their wheels?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought a 90mm wheelset. Got them in a week. Nice rim, good finish. Hub and spoke are on the cheap side. They were easy to set up tubeless. No problem so far !

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought a set of 90mm wheels. Mounted tubeless w/ dillinger 5s pretty easily. Hubs seems alright... no real comments other that they work (at temps well below zero).

One of the wheels I received was cracked around one of the spoke nipples. I pointed it out to Linda, was able to exchange it for a new wheel (they covered all shipping costs). So they get a thumbs up for customer service. Be sure to look closely at yours as the QC might not be the best.

mtbr member
    I just clicked on the F-W90 rims, says "Quantity 1, Price:$0" Can't go wrong at that price

Live Free & Ride
    1970 grams for the 65mm wheelset...not too shabby.
    Look like the rim has a prominent bead "hook" unlike some newer designs, like the Hugo, that have just a flat bead. Not sure which is better since these wheels are designed with tire pressure in mind. The Hugo is a unique design and it also states a max 30 psi. Not sure if the 90mm set had the same bead hook or not?

http://www.icanbikes.com/upload/alli...2G50013138.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-ican-65mm.jpg  

14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tschewy View Post
    I bought a set of 90mm wheels. Mounted tubeless w/ dillinger 5s pretty easily. Hubs seems alright... no real comments other that they work (at temps well below zero).
    What method did you go with and what did you use to go tubeless?

I have the ICAN 90mm carbon wheels and they set up pretty easy with one square of gorilla tape over each spoke hole. That's all I did. Took a little wrestling but that's to be expected when you have a low end air compressor like I do

I set them up with a Bud and a Vee Bulldozer.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I have the ICAN 90mm carbon wheels and they set up pretty easy with one square of gorilla tape over each spoke hole. That's all I did. Took a little wrestling but that's to be expected when you have a low end air compressor like I do

I set them up with a Bud and a Vee Bulldozer.
    Nice. Sounds easy enough. Did you use any sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Nice. Sounds easy enough. Did you use any sealant?
    Yeah, always otherwise it defeats the purpose if you get a puncture.

I use this as it's cheap for a giant bottle and has worked as good as all the others I've tried: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKYHX9W

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought some 70mm scotch 8898 (basically the same stuff as stans tape but blue) from a user on mtbr for ~$20... less ghetto than other options. Sealed using stans fluid and floor pump (I don't own a compressor). Took a little bit of work to pull the bead over the hump and place it next to the rim, but still easier than a lot of 2in MTB tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got my 65mm wheels in today. I couldn't get the tire to seal for the life of me. I had air coming out of the sidewall, nipples and even the valve stem no matter what I did. Pretty frustrating.

All fat, all the time.
    Got my 65mm wheels in today. I couldn't get the tire to seal for the life of me. I had air coming out of the sidewall, nipples and even the valve stem no matter what I did. Pretty frustrating.
    What did you use for taping the spoke holes?
    On a new install the bead sometimes weaps until you get sealant in and ride, depend on the tire. But spoke holes and valve stem should not leak at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Fwiw, I looked at getting ican rims a few months back. Their wide rims are tubeless. Their 65mm are not tubeless ready.
    I'm sure they can be set up as such, but there was an extra delay so I just went with nexties.
    Last edited by tfinator; 03-17-2015 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    What did you use for taping the spoke holes?
    On a new install the bead sometimes weaps until you get sealant in and ride, depend on the tire. But spoke holes and valve stem should not leak at all.
    I used Scotch 8896 blue strapping tape for the taping. It was impossible to even ride as the tires immediately deflate. Any suggestions for a better tape?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I used Scotch 8896 blue strapping tape for the taping. It was impossible to even ride as the tires immediately deflate. Any suggestions for a better tape?
    I decided to rip out the scotch blue strapping tape and try gorilla tape. Pretty much the same result. I was getting air leaking out of the sidewalls of the tire. I was too frustrated to continue trying so I threw in some types and took them for a ride.

Any other ideas on the best way to set the 65mm rims up tubeless?

bigger than you.
    how about using a product that is explicitly designed for making fatbike wheels tubeless, like Orange Seal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    how about using a product that is explicitly designed for making fatbike wheels tubeless, like Orange Seal?
    I'm also using Stans fluid try to seal it but that didn't work. I can't imagine Orange being much different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have the 65's set up tubeless. One thing that helped me in addition to the usual was to spray the sidewalls with windex type product to help the beads slide into place. I also have a small compressor which helps. If you have leakage thru the valve stem and spokes you are using the wrong tape. Be patient, it will work. Good luck!

bigger than you.
    I'm also using Stans fluid try to seal it but that didn't work. I can't imagine Orange being much different.
    I was referring more to their tape, than their sealant. They make fatbike specific tubeless kits

All fat, all the time.
    Pretty much any gorilla type tape should work, 3m strapping/packing tape, stans....
    New tires can be annoying, helps to run a tube in them for a week or so to straighten the bead.

This place needs an enema
    I decided to rip out the scotch blue strapping tape and try gorilla tape. Pretty much the same result. I was getting air leaking out of the sidewalls of the tire. I was too frustrated to continue trying so I threw in some types and took them for a ride.

Just a guess, but if the air is leaking out the sidewalls, that probably has little to do with the tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Pretty much any gorilla type tape should work, 3m strapping/packing tape, stans....
    New tires can be annoying, helps to run a tube in them for a week or so to straighten the bead.
    Thanks. I will give that a try. I already put the tubes in and took it for a ride last night. Those wheels make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Trying to seat the bead of a tire using a tube on a 65mm ICANN set. Can I inflate past the 15 psi max stated on Ican's website?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have this question also. 15 psi seems very low and isn't enough to ensure the tire seats even.

Ps: tubeless worked for me first time with the 65mm. Two wraps of stans 25mm yellow tape around centre then 1 wrap of a 48mm scotch tough tape.

Used kenda juggernant wire beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tried a second set of tires on the 65s with no luck setting them up tubeless. This time they were Panaracer Fat B Nimbles folding tires. This is becoming frustrating.

All fat, all the time.
    Tried a second set of tires on the 65s with no luck setting them up tubeless. This time they were Panaracer Fat B Nimbles folding tires. This is becoming frustrating.
    Leaking at the bead (same as the other ones)?

My fat b nimble seal better than the last 3 pair of husker du, zero weeping and very little air pressure loss long term.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Finally got the 65mm wheels mounted tubeless using Fat B Nimbles. Putting a tube in and letting it sit for about 3-4 days and a cheap air compressor from Home Depot did the trick.

I think the 15psi max recommendation is for riding. I inflated mine to the max on the tire to get the bead to snap into place. 25 or something. Left them that way overnight to let the tire stretch a bit. Then back down to 9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think the 15psi max recommendation is for riding. I inflated mine to the max on the tire to get the bead to snap into place. 25 or something. Left them that way overnight to let the tire stretch a bit. Then back down to 9.
    Thanks for the info. That should help us mount tires in these.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    As an aside I weighed my 65mm wheelset and got 2200 grams not 1970. Confirmed on two sets of scales.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How are peoples wheelset holding up? I'm more concerned about the hub breaking than anything else really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    How are peoples wheelset holding up? I'm more concerned about the hub breaking than anything else really.
    I rode a 90mm set all winter long. 3 or 4 rides a week... No problem so far...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Been riding the 65mm for about 3 months. Absolutely loving them. No issues so far (cross my fingers). Those coupled with Fat B Nimbles transformed my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    A couple of months on 65mm and all good

Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    The hubs they come with are solid. I'm 225 and been riding since March. No issues.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love mine. Some people have gotten some messy spoke angles but I did not.
    The only negative I have is that last night I dreamt that a broke a bunch of spokes while out riding. I really did.

Live Free & Ride
    How are the Powerway hubs holding up? I just received a set... 150/197, for a b+ build, and hoping they last for a bit.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    How are the Powerway hubs holding up? I just received a set... 150/197, for a b+ build, and hoping they last for a bit.
    So far so good for me and I'm a 220 lb masher. I would like a rear hub with quicker engagement, but the Powerways are fine for now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't think the wheels with hubs would fit my Charge Cooker maxi. Does anyone know if they just sell the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Been riding the 65mm for about 3 months. Absolutely loving them. No issues so far (cross my fingers). Those coupled with Fat B Nimbles transformed my bike.
    Looks like I spoke too soon. My rear hub started slipping slightly and began to make a clicking noise every revolution. I took the driver body off and saw the following deformation of one of the teeth:

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-img_20150720_160413.jpg

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-img_20150720_160416.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how I can repair these or replace them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Anyone have any ideas on how I can repair these or replace them?
    It's been a month, update please. Have you been able to repair or replace them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    It's been a month, update please. Have you been able to repair or replace them?
    Ican sold me a whole new freehub for about $35 total. I ordered that and swapped out the damaged one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Negotiator, did you look at the pawls on your new hub? I just actually took mine apart. Very durable 6 pawl, not the 4 like came on your old one.

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-camerazoom-20150817110507933.jpgIcan bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-camerazoom-20150817110449397.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    duggus which ones are those from? Are those the Powerway hubs from the 65 or 90? Are they the same? Where did you buy yours? I've been creeping on a pair of these rims for a bit. For that price, even if the hubs are crap - I could still replace them with some torchs and it would be a good deal (vs. Whiskey, for example).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Negotiator, did you look at the pawls on your new hub? I just actually took mine apart. Very durable 6 pawl, not the 4 like came on your old one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150817110507933.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	1009733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150817110449397.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	1009734
    New one only had 4. I wonder if the 6 pawl one would fit my hub.

Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    duggus which ones are those from? Are those the Powerway hubs from the 65 or 90? Are they the same? Where did you buy yours? I've been creeping on a pair of these rims for a bit. For that price, even if the hubs are crap - I could still replace them with some torchs and it would be a good deal (vs. Whiskey, for example).
    I'm not even sure. I ordered in March of this year and they were the 90mm rims. I counted 24 actual clicks, with 6 pawls not sure what technically the POE would be, but they seem very well built.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    which website do people order off? Doing a quick search there are 2 different ICAN websites?

ICAN Carbon Road Bike Mountain Bike Fat Bike and Bike Parts to Buy ? icancycling

&

Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

looking at the 65mm fat bike carbon wheelset

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
    which website do people order off?
    I purchased mine through Amazon. After I placed the order I contacted Ican and requested UD Matt finish. No problem. Easy to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Clincher-.../dp/B00XMTFVOG

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    I purchased mine through Amazon. After I placed the order I contacted Ican and requested UD Matt finish. No problem. Easy to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Clincher-.../dp/B00XMTFVOG
    Cheers.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    which website do people order off? Doing a quick search there are 2 different ICAN websites?

ICAN Carbon Road Bike Mountain Bike Fat Bike and Bike Parts to Buy ? icancycling

&

Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

looking at the 65mm fat bike carbon wheelset
    I purchased mine directly though their website. I used the contact page to email them directly and purchased it that way. I saved about $40-$50 doing it that way. I guess you don't have any Amazon purchase protections if you do it the way I did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've been using the 65mm wheels for 3 months and they've been pretty good. I'm 110kg rider and when I made a bad choice climbing out of a small gully and heard a crack and then a strange ping whenever I freewheeled. The photos show that I had snapped the bearing race off inside the freehub. I sent the photos to ICAN and they mailed me a new one on warranty that day and I had it in a week. New one seems to be going fine and I'm trying to be a bit more conscious about what gear I use.

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-20150825163309.jpgIcan bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-20150825163637.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Same thing happened to my freewheel but they told me the hubs weren't covered under warranty so I had to pay for a new one myself. Now the second one seems to be doing the same thing as the first one. I am now looking to switch out the entire hub with a quality one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That's no good. I'll do the same thing when this one goes. Hope or a new DT Swiss I reckon.

mtbr member
    I have a set on the way and Im curious to the max PSI of 15. I have no intention of riding at that PSI but I feel like it might be hard to get get them to set on the rim. I dont wanna crack the rim over inflating but at the same time I want them to mount up with out a wobble.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've set mine up tubeless with Maxxis Mammoth's and Vee Bulldozers without a problem at all. I also used both a foot pump and compressor. Just massage the tyres towards the edges of the rim as best you can then spray some water around the sides of the tyre to help seal the air in, then pump with gusto and they'll pop in just fine. I might have gone over the 15psi to get it to pop in but then I let it back down to 15psi and did the Stan's shake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnj0hns View Post
    I've set mine up tubeless with Maxxis Mammoth's and Vee Bulldozers without a problem at all. I also used both a foot pump and compressor. Just massage the tyres towards the edges of the rim as best you can then spray some water around the sides of the tyre to help seal the air in, then pump with gusto and they'll pop in just fine. I might have gone over the 15psi to get it to pop in but then I let it back down to 15psi and did the Stan's shake.
    I will be using tubes so hopefully it wont be to much of a pain in the butt. Also nates or b nimble will be used (what ever gets shipped to me 1st) I just dont wanna kill the rim. Actually kind of shocked they have such a low max PSI. Even my chinesse carbon road wheelsets have max PSI of 125. I know that its obviously a different conversion due to tire volume but still I figured max PSI of like 35-40. Im only 155lb so will be running them low on normal riding.

Also will be doing just that with some water and soap on the bead. My one concern is liquid getting into the carbon rim but a light / small amount of water shouldnt give me a problem. No more then what sealant would do if leaked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Tubes should be no problem at all. Just put them on and start pumping. I wouldn't even use the water/soap spray. Maybe put some air in then push down on the tyre here and there to help it spread out then pump it up the rest of the way until it pops onto the rim? But if you are starting to get to 30psi with no pops then you might have another problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnj0hns View Post
    Tubes should be no problem at all. Just put them on and start pumping. I wouldn't even use the water/soap spray. Maybe put some air in then push down on the tyre here and there to help it spread out then pump it up the rest of the way until it pops onto the rim? But if you are starting to get to 30psi with no pops then you might have another problem.
    Thanks john! Yeah Id hope thye mount up before I even hit 15psi! Overall how do you like your wheels? I have a few sets of the road wheels but this will be my 1st set of carbon mtb wheels. Ordered a carbon fat bike w/carbon wheels. I have been riding fat bikes for 2 years now and love them, weapon of choice has been steal so figured id see how the carbon rides on the trails. Are you also using an Ican frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    They are OK the spokes and hubs seem a bit cheap but they are working OK and I'll replace them out when they die (the free hub died but they replaced it straight away). They are light, spin well and haven't missed a beat despite my fat ass smashing them down hills and rock gardens regularly. I put them on a Rocky Mountain Blizzard because I liked the slacker geometry although I might get one of their frames one day and make up another fat bike for the missus.

passed out in your garden
    Hey guys,
    Im currently holidaying in ltaly riding beach & trails, and noticed play in the cassette, disassembled all only to find that the freehub has the play, of course this will allow sand etc in, so if possible l wish to try and fix it. From what l could see l need two 15mm or 16mm spanners, and a 12mm hex key.
    Is this correct?
    Are there any 'surprises' to be aware of if l go ahead and disassemble it?

Ive never done a freehub before, but have at least a week more here and l want to be able to continue riding.

Cheers for your help.
    always mad and usually drunk......

So the freehub has been good up until this week (luckily a new one is on the way), and today l pulled it apart, 5 of the pawls were stuck down, which puts all the pressure on one side of the bearings, anyway as l already knew the inside bearing was not 'so good'.
    These two pics show the level of play, l could move the inner race about 2-3mm, in the pics the inner race is moved down and then upwards

While l was testing how much play there was the inner race just fell out into my hand, then things got real interesting, the bearings and cage were easy to get, but l didnt expect what l saw next

inner race, cage and some bearings.....

notice the balls are broken in half...... every ball was like that.

Well this bearing causing the play, pretty much stuffed the pawls and area around them, the pawls were getting stuck due to the damage shown:

The 'teeth' inside the hub all look good, so l guess the freehub is made weaker as it can be replaced.

Now l hope the new freehub arrives soon, my next race is in a week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sooner or later the same will happen to your replacement hub. I'm on my second freehub. Let's call it like it is. These are cheap hubs and they will eventually fail. I'm a bit heavier so I probably put a lot of stress on my hubs, but they definitely are on the cheaper side.

Sooner or later the same will happen to your replacement hub. I'm on my second freehub. Let's call it like it is. These are cheap hubs and they will eventually fail. I'm a bit heavier so I probably put a lot of stress on my hubs, but they definitely are on the cheaper side.

Yep thats clear they are cheap, 60 for a new one shipped to me, lve done a bit more than 2000kms, so l can live with it

Im also 95kg in my birthday suit, so not a lightweight

Wig
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Whoa! I've seen a lot of cheap, sloppy bearing but never the actual balls breaking in half - that's impressive in a not so good way... Thanks for the great pictures!

Report update on these rims. I'm still loving them and they are still holding strong. But one odd thing I found last night - I needed to install a new presta valve. I wiggled the wheel around after I took it off the bike and heard the sloshing and was surprised I had so much sealant in it yet (tubeless). When I got the tire off - no sealant? I realized there was a good amount of water trapped inside the rim - since they are double wall. I'm not sure if it somehow got in through the spoke holes, or if it leaked through the valve hole, but regardless I had probably a cup and a half full of water to empty out. Very odd. I put some extra tape around the valve this time so we will see if it happens again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My 90mm wheels have held up fine to 100 miles of snow use under my 170lbs. I have the 6 pawls hub. They were easy to set up tubeless and have been trouble free. I've gone down to probably 2 psi. I checked the free hub last week and the pawls looked fine too. The only thing of note is that before I took the freehub apart the pawls worked in unison. That is when I tuned the wheel slowly they would all click into place at once. Now when doing the same thing I can hear a very slight separation in the clicks. Any idea what would cause that?
    Also I had to go buy a 12mm allen key to take the freehub off. That's something I never needed before. Mine also needed 2 - 17 mm cone wrenches. I improvised with an old Cool tool and a vise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    why not replace the cheap bearings with some maxx bearings or Acer ceramic? I think a lot of the 'cheap hubs' are just a case of cheap bearings imo.

I think my busted bearings had more to do with the pawls getting stuck, and therefore placing uneven force onto the bearing, even an expensive bearing wont like that for too long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone know of a local source here in the US to replace the free hub, maybe even with a steel one? The free hub part looks like this:

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anyone know of a local source here in the US to replace the free hub, maybe even with a steel one? The free hub part looks like this:

The hubs are terrible! I'm going to rebuild mine with a Hope Fatsno

Free hubs aren't expensive, but I'm looking long term

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The hubs are terrible! I'm going to rebuild mine with a Hope Fatsno

Free hubs aren't expensive, but I'm looking long term
    Agreed. I'm already building up another wheel with a dt Swiss big ride hub. I'm just looking to swap this to another bike by replacing the free hub. Anyone have a source here in the states for that? Will those i9 freehub replacements work in these hub bodies?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

New question here. still riding those kenda's?

i have them on a argus expert
    they are slow on the road @ 4-5 psi
    ok in the snow though
    Quote Originally Posted by hectornz View Post
    I have this question also. 15 psi seems very low and isn't enough to ensure the tire seats even.

Ps: tubeless worked for me first time with the 65mm. Two wraps of stans 25mm yellow tape around centre then 1 wrap of a 48mm scotch tough tape.

Used kenda juggernant wire beads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone know the ERD of the FW-65 Icann rims? I have a set that I am looking to switch out the rear hubs and need to order spokes. I usually measure my rims when there are no spokes installed, but I dont want to take this wheel apart until I am ready with all the parts to build it up. I am going to try to measure as a built up wheel but I would like to confirm with someone who has built them up and already measured ERD of the 65mm rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I built up a set of the 65's on dt 350 hubs and used tyvek tape. No issues after several months of riding. Including a lot of trail riding due to my 29er being down for most of the summer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Anyone know the ERD of the FW-65 Icann rims? I have a set that I am looking to switch out the rear hubs and need to order spokes. I usually measure my rims when there are no spokes installed, but I dont want to take this wheel apart until I am ready with all the parts to build it up. I am going to try to measure as a built up wheel but I would like to confirm with someone who has built them up and already measured ERD of the 65mm rims.
    I think their are 2 different versions of the rim, I'll check my email for the ERD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    I built up a set of the 65's on dt 350 hubs and used tyvek tape. No issues after several months of riding. Including a lot of trail riding due to my 29er being down for most of the summer.

Tubeless setup is very dependant on the tyres you are using. I've also had no troubles setting up the rim tubeless with gorilla grip and jumbo Jim's

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Tubeless setup is very dependant on the tyres you are using. I've also had no troubles setting up the rim tubeless with gorilla grip and jumbo Jim's

Coincidentally, my initial setup was with the Jumbos front and rear. I threw a vee eight on the back when the JJ wore out. No problem with the setup. I found that positioning the tire before adding air helped a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    there are 2 sets with 2 different ERD's

507 and 534

If the rims look like this they are 507. I rebuilt mine on Hope hubs with a combination of 245mm and 250mm spokes, 3 cross, no issues at all, never been trued since original lace up.

Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-image2.jpg
    Ican bikes carbon 65 and 90mm rims?-fw-65tl.jpeg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    there are 2 sets with 2 different ERD's

507 and 534

If the rims look like this they are 507. I rebuilt mine on Hope hubs with a combination of 245mm and 250mm spokes, 3 cross, no issues at all, never been trued since original lace up.

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1149483

Name:	FW-65tl.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1149484
    Thanks! I have the older version. Mine are more flat than the v channel ones in your picture. 534 sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I haven't seen any discussions on the Aluminum versions but they do share the same hub and spokes as the Carbon Wheelset, so I'll put my comments here.

I'm actually planning to go aluminum since I'm a 285lb Clyde. Throughout my search I came across ICAN F-W80 at the same price as the Borealis FTD80.

Looking through the majority of the discussion, I can easily assume the hubs are pretty much junk on these. However, it's a cheap way of aquiring carbon wheels even if you'll have to change the hub within 1-2 years.

Since I'm going aluminum, I guess I'm better off going with the Borealis (Turnagain). They have a more dependable hub and weigh 52 grams lighter.

Online Specs:

- $299 ICAN F-W80 Aluminum Wheelset
    (80mm / 2742 grams)

- $299 Borealis FTD80 Aluminum Wheelset
    (80mm 2690g / Tubeless Ready)

- $750 ICAN F-W90 Carbon Wheelset
    (90mm / 2297g)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tavic View Post
    - $750 ICAN F-W90 Carbon Wheelset
    (90mm / 2297g)
    I went from the above to the DT Swiss Big Ride Wheelset, for around $600
    I checked about just getting the hubs and relacing (at LBS), but savings wouldve been about $200 all up, so I thought why bother.
    If you are in Europe, you can buy my old ones off me

check the last few posts in this thread Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down
    IMO opinion the quality of DT Swiss is worth the ~71 gram weight penalty (see pics in link)